Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

unless he's hit on something more than i have

both betelgeuse and aldebaran are the names of stars, which is a naming scheme no else so far has shared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Cake Attack posted:

unless he's hit on something more than i have

both betelgeuse and aldebaran are the names of stars, which is a naming scheme no else so far has shared

Well, sort of.

"Subaru" is the Japanese name for the Pleiades constellation.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Well, sort of.

"Subaru" is the Japanese name for the Pleiades constellation.

oh didn't know that

considering how involved subaru is in the witch stuff though, that's more evidence if anything

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

oh didn't know that

It's even the car company's logo. :science:

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
When was the mist whale brought up? I definitely need context for that ending.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

LostRook posted:

When was the mist whale brought up? I definitely need context for that ending.

It was brought up as the reason they needed to take a longer route back to the mansion.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well, uh, that was progress... I guess...

I wonder if he's just gonna go all out Steins;Gate at some point and just start killing himself. Being Subaru is suffering.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

so was that other guy supposed to be the mist whale or was he eaten by it an no-one remembers him now?

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Condiv posted:

so was that other guy supposed to be the mist whale or was he eaten by it an no-one remembers him now?

I'm guessing the latter; the whale probably has some mind-affecting power, given that only Subaru seemed to notice it at the end.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
It's the ret gone whale, it not only eats you but all traces of your existence as well.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's the retcon Whale, it even is white like an eraser.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Does "Hoshin" have something to do with stars too? I think the word "hoshi" does, but god knows I could just be way off base, in any case she does have a star barrette. Or the whole thing could be meaningless.

Also, I'm paused because drat it Subaru, you're not making it easy to keep watching right now.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dzhay posted:

I'm guessing the latter; the whale probably has some mind-affecting power, given that only Subaru seemed to notice it at the end.

Interesting that it doesn't seem to be affecting him. It wouldn't make sense if it erased the victims from everyone's memories every time. If it did that, nobody would actually think of it as a threat. What would they say when they got back home? "Oh we got chased by this flying whale, but we all got out okay and nobody got hurt." is the story they'd all come back with and nobody would think of the whale as dangerous.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Slime posted:

Interesting that it doesn't seem to be affecting him. It wouldn't make sense if it erased the victims from everyone's memories every time. If it did that, nobody would actually think of it as a threat. What would they say when they got back home? "Oh we got chased by this flying whale, but we all got out okay and nobody got hurt." is the story they'd all come back with and nobody would think of the whale as dangerous.

It's not like their possessions would disappear too, people would start to wonder why entire caravans are left about with their cargo intact and no merchants.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

a kitten posted:

Does "Hoshin" have something to do with stars too? I think the word "hoshi" does, but god knows I could just be way off base, in any case she does have a star barrette. Or the whole thing could be meaningless.

Also, I'm paused because drat it Subaru, you're not making it easy to keep watching right now.

"Hoshi" can either mean "Star" or "Want" iirc it's an i-adjective.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Annointed posted:

It's not like their possessions would disappear too, people would start to wonder why entire caravans are left about with their cargo intact and no merchants.

Depends on how exhaustive the 'retcon' effect is, really. The guy's whole cart disappeared, so it affects non-living objects/possessions.

But inconsistencies like suddenly having only one or no parents would easily clue people in on the disappearances.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Does the web novel mention Subaru's family at all, and if he misses them in any sort of capacity? Or is this just a KH2 type scenario where the previous life doesn't really matter at all?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

The Unholy Ghost posted:

Does the web novel mention Subaru's family at all, and if he misses them in any sort of capacity? Or is this just a KH2 type scenario where the previous life doesn't really matter at all?

His parents are mentioned every now and then in the narration. Mostly in relation to mayonnaise.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
This author misses nothing and plans everything. That's the answer to your question

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
So I haven't been following the thread, but has this whole 'seven deadly sins' thing been discussed yet?
Betelgeuse specifically calls himself Sloth, and wonders if Subaru is Pride, which if you look back on his outburst in the episodes before he certainly was prideful when he was going off the rails about everyone surviving because of him.
This latest episode is entitled "The Greed of a Pig" and deals with Subaru only thinking of himself and his goals/needs when trying to enlist help.
I'd go so far as to say Subaru is also displaying a good deal on the Wrath end of things too.
That leaves us with: Lust, Gluttony, Envy

Just some thoughts.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think he's like, the Highpriest to the cult that specifically follows "Sloth", he makes references to being a "finger" I think for his cult/guild thing. Possible Spoilers as I don't remember their source but I'm pretty sure is mostly speculation and Probably Not A Spoiler: I don't think he's specifically an Avatar for the Sloth counterpart to the Witch of Envy; as if I recall correctly the Witch had actually absorbed the other "sins"; so perhaps he just worships an aspect of her.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

"Hoshi" can either mean "Star" or "Want" iirc it's an i-adjective.

Her name is written ホーシン (Houshin) though, with a long 'o'. So it's probably not supposed to have anything to do with either of those words.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Amstrad posted:

So I haven't been following the thread, but has this whole 'seven deadly sins' thing been discussed yet?
Betelgeuse specifically calls himself Sloth, and wonders if Subaru is Pride, which if you look back on his outburst in the episodes before he certainly was prideful when he was going off the rails about everyone surviving because of him.
This latest episode is entitled "The Greed of a Pig" and deals with Subaru only thinking of himself and his goals/needs when trying to enlist help.
I'd go so far as to say Subaru is also displaying a good deal on the Wrath end of things too.
That leaves us with: Lust, Gluttony, Envy

Just some thoughts.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think he's like, the Highpriest to the cult that specifically follows "Sloth", he makes references to being a "finger" I think for his cult/guild thing. Possible Spoilers as I don't remember their source but I'm pretty sure is mostly speculation and Probably Not A Spoiler: I don't think he's specifically an Avatar for the Sloth counterpart to the Witch of Envy; as if I recall correctly the Witch had actually absorbed the other "sins"; so perhaps he just worships an aspect of her.

Beatrice mentions that the Jealous Witch (aka Witch of Envy) devoured the witches representing the 6 other deadly sins. Betelgeuse being a Sin Archbishop would certainly imply that he worships/represents an aspect of Satella, and what he asks Subaru implies that Betelgeuse hasn't met the Archbishop that represents Pride, and so wonders if Subaru is him since he's so covered by Witch miasma. Subaru could (assuming he indeed does) represent any other sin besides Sloth, but given that Betelgeuse specifically mentions Pride while knowing nothing about Subaru besides perceiving the 'love' hanging around him would imply that he has met the other Archbishops or knows enough about them to discard them as possibilities for Subaru's role.

As for whether the sins as a theme will become more prominent in the narrative is hard to say and perhaps rather pointless to discuss, since the deadly sins are way too open to interpretation and can lead to hours discussing whether some minor action represents one sin or another and ultimately it's unlikely to shed any light into future developments.

But the power of Sloth being telekinesis is kinda neat.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Now that we've seen the White Whale I'm more sure then ever he's gonna have to get a coalition of royal candidates together to kill that sucker. Rough guesses at how he can convince each candidate:

Felt: kind of an auto-win, she'll probably believe him and hop on board easily, or at least be willing to help Emilia despite it being to her political disadvantage. Unless she brings Reinhardt to the table her support doesn't mean much at all though, and with him off partying somewhere else that's a bummer.
Crusch: Blackmail about her stockpiling weapons, or in some way make it clear she'll personally gain from helping save Emilia and the village.
Foot girl: Pure ego play maybe, gosh you're the greatest and people will think you're so great...
Anastasia: Come in from a position of strength somehow, offer to trade inside knowledge of Crusch's goings ons maybe?

He may only need to convince two major candidates to support him, he might be able to win over the third with "Well I have Crusch and Anastasia on board, you don't want to be left out in the cold do you?" or something like that. I'm also surprised he didn't get into predicting the future for them, but he needs some looping to be able to pull that off anyway. If nothing else, he should be able to remember the rough beats of his conversations with each candidate, and if he writes that down (or has Rem write it for him) and shoves it in their face he could gain that "position of strength" by showing that he can predict the future, and thus would be a very powerful ally who they should all compete to win over. It's a brute force method that doesn't have him looping again and again to increasingly know how the candidates think and how to win them over, but with so few episodes left to both get past the White Whale and save everybody, I think he has to have the "multi-candidate alliance" route worked out by next episode.

Also, it's a subtle moment but after Subaru gets disrespected by foot-hime he resents her for treating him like that after he "saved" her from those recurring alley criminals, but this comes right after she lifts him by his collar straight off the ground and throws him clear across a very big room, all while only using one arm. I thought that was a nice touch showing how he's still deluding himself and thinking everyone should be treating him better even though he doesn't deserve it, since clearly with that level of strength she was in no real danger from street hoodlums anyway.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
The interesting thing was how, despite their divergent political platforms, the Noble royal candidates had somewhat similar worldviews and philosophies.

The first episode was all about Emilia's philosophy "I don't think anything is ever pointless" and general karma (She does nice things for the townspeople because in her experience it pays off for her in the end), and Houshin described the same point of view here, as has Prissy with her "The world is organized in such a way as to benefit me at all times" (or whatever the phrase is, I'm working from memory here) statement. Crusch, I guess, sort of sets things up to turn any situation to her financial advantage.

Crusch, Priscilla and Houshin all described to Subaru that just really wanting something isn't enough, and that he should lead off with what he can offer, in a negotiation. That's backed up by Emilia's major lecture at Subaru, also: "I don't get it, why are you doing all this for me, I've never put my life on the line for you, nor do I intend to" (also paraphrased). She felt uncomfortable receiving kindness and generosity without paying for it, feeling like she was being forced into a disadvantageous situation somehow?

And now, I'm wondering if all three of the major royal candidates are deadly sins:
Crusch: Gluttony? Greed?
Priscilla: Lust (Seeking to escape boredom through her kink) or Vanity (self-explanatory)
Houshin: Wrath (has an elite assassination team as her personal guard)

Of course, then you've got other characters like THE BOWEL HUNTER who might turn out to actually be players, so who knows?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Oh yeah, I forgot about her...

She's gotta show up in this arc somewhere, given her connection to the Witch's Cult.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

The interesting thing was how, despite their divergent political platforms, the Noble royal candidates had somewhat similar worldviews and philosophies.

The first episode was all about Emilia's philosophy "I don't think anything is ever pointless" and general karma (She does nice things for the townspeople because in her experience it pays off for her in the end), and Houshin described the same point of view here, as has Prissy with her "The world is organized in such a way as to benefit me at all times" (or whatever the phrase is, I'm working from memory here) statement. Crusch, I guess, sort of sets things up to turn any situation to her financial advantage.

Crusch, Priscilla and Houshin all described to Subaru that just really wanting something isn't enough, and that he should lead off with what he can offer, in a negotiation. That's backed up by Emilia's major lecture at Subaru, also: "I don't get it, why are you doing all this for me, I've never put my life on the line for you, nor do I intend to" (also paraphrased). She felt uncomfortable receiving kindness and generosity without paying for it, feeling like she was being forced into a disadvantageous situation somehow?

And now, I'm wondering if all three of the major royal candidates are deadly sins:
Crusch: Gluttony? Greed?
Priscilla: Lust (Seeking to escape boredom through her kink) or Vanity (self-explanatory)
Houshin: Wrath (has an elite assassination team as her personal guard)

Of course, then you've got other characters like THE BOWEL HUNTER who might turn out to actually be players, so who knows?

I'd say Felt might represent Wrath, what with her attitude of "gently caress YOU, gently caress THOSE GUYS, I'M GONNA gently caress EVERYONE UP"

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Meh, if you introduce a bad guy as associated with a deadly sin all it means is there will be more bad guys and girls tied to a sin. I doubt that any of the candidates will be secret bad guys, though Subaru has a real chance to be a sin, or share a connection with them in some way with his witchy smell and death cycling.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
When the new season of Seven Deadly Sins starts in about a month, we're gonna have 14 sin-based weirdos running around at once.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

When the new season of Seven Deadly Sins starts in about a month, we're gonna have 14 sin-based weirdos running around at once.

Devil Worshiping Cultists vs Eccentric Bad Knights. What a time to be alive.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

21 if you count the Seven Warlords of the Sea from the ever-ongoing One Piece.

Edit: I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek here. I suspect its not so much an intentional 7 sins motif as that Hancock=Lust and Moria=Sloth is such a straightforward fit that it makes people (me included) want to shoehorn the others.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 18, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Is this gonna end up where Emelia is actually the witch with the seven deadly sins removed and Subaru ends up breaking her heart, thus causing her to go into Jealous mode and repeating the whole cycle again?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

Is this gonna end up where Emelia is actually the witch with the seven deadly sins removed and Subaru ends up breaking her heart, thus causing her to go into Jealous mode and repeating the whole cycle again?

I'm assuming this is all one big time loop where Subaru is responsible for creating the jealous witch, who is the source of his reset by death ability which led to her creation in the first place.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

With the big Yggdrasil Tree, I wouldn't be surprised if this is Ragnarok by way of NEET and Waifu.

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

Oh man, I managed to get my girlfriend and her brother to blindly watch this from 1A. Ehehehehe.

Edit: I'm not watching with them because I have a horrible poker face when I know the plot of something. Oh hey, ep16 is out.

Nomadic Scholar fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 19, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Nomadic Scholar posted:

Oh man, I managed to get my girlfriend and her brother to blindly watch this from 1A. Ehehehehe.

Edit: I'm not watching with them because I have a horrible poker face when I know the plot of something. Oh hey, ep16 is out.

When I watch Game of Thrones episodes before my family does (we then watch them two at a time the following friday) I'm usually giggling non stop. :3:

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

They are almost halfway into 1B and I can't wait to see when they figure out the souls-esque heart of this anime.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Though, it's episodes 5 and 7 that reveal the kind of themes Re:Zero is really going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Idk how things are pacing out right now, but I'm gonna be PISSED if the last episode is at the start of an arc instead of the end of one.

• Locked thread