Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jack Gladney posted:

Which one had the guy yelling "It's Batman! eeeehhhhh!" in that weird wimpy voice after Batman crashes through a window?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW0NTzt9uaE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I had no idea that guy recurred. Is he a Schumacher regular?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jack Gladney posted:

I had no idea that guy recurred. Is he a Schumacher regular?

Doesn't look like it
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0341055/

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
"It's BOILING ACID!!!!!!" Is basically the best line in the entire Batman franchise.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Snak posted:

"It's BOILING ACID!!!!!!" Is basically the best line in the entire Batman franchise.

Only because Nolan didn't take the perfect setup in Rises to have Bale say "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb" unironically.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

exquisite tea posted:

The only tolerable performance in B&R is Arnie and that's because he just goes for it. Everybody else is either totally miscast or too aware that they're in a bad movie.

Half of his screentime is him trying to do Heart of Ice unironically and mourning his frozen wife while brooding, people just forget that because the ice puns make for a funny YouTube supercut outside of the movie.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Everybody else is either totally miscast or too aware that they're in a bad movie.

If miscasting meant that prime Alicia Silverstone could have been in more movies, I'm all for it. :swoon:

exquisite tea posted:

You're right about Forever, but his best line is actually this one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBEz-wfq8Ew

That's incredible.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

xcore posted:

If miscasting meant that prime Alicia Silverstone could have been in more movies, I'm all for it. :swoon:

My uh batwaifu

Gonna do a kees kees for her poor neglected nipples

A moix moix moix

The thirda for luck

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

syscall girl posted:

My uh batwaifu

Gonna do a kees kees for her poor neglected nipples

A moix moix moix

The thirda for luck

Someone call an ambulance, syscall girl is having a stroke

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BonoMan posted:

Someone call an ambulance, syscall girl is having a stroke

I didn't stroke nothing :ninja:

I just like Alicia Silverstone.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I had no idea that was a positive post about Alicia. I'm glad someone else agrees though.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Never seen a Rainer Werner Fassbinder film, best one to watch first?

(Apologies if this is the worst place to put this, I feel like there was a general recommendation thread somewhere....)

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

teen witch posted:

(Apologies if this is the worst place to put this, I feel like there was a general recommendation thread somewhere....)

The two most well-known:

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul
The Marriage of Maria Braun

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Anyone know of any horror movies that involve (literally) giant, scary faces?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's not Horror,but Zardoz.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
There was that one scene in Lawnmower Man with a big face that freaked me out, but then again I was 7 when that movie came out soo

edit:

Cage fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 17, 2016

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

teen witch posted:

I thought this was some Brat-Pack style creative team featuring Michael Fassbender, Werner Herzon and someone else (Jeremy Rainer?)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Freddy Krueger's head got big enough to eat someone in one of the Nightmare On Elm Street movies

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Freddy Krueger's head got big enough to eat someone in one of the Nightmare On Elm Street movies

That would be 3, The Dream Warriors. The Freddysnake was dope and 100% practical.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That sounds loving awesome

Cage posted:

There was that one scene in Lawnmower Man with a big face that freaked me out, but then again I was 7 when that movie came out soo

edit:

aw yea thats what im talkin about. Why Beethoven though?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Thats Jeff Fahey as Beethoven.

I know its not a movie but now that you bring it up I guess the same thing freaks me out. Even though I have no context for it this scene from silent hill 2 unnerves me.

All I know is its not a glitch and its supposed to be that big.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Cage posted:

Thats Jeff Fahey as Beethoven.

I know its not a movie but now that you bring it up I guess the same thing freaks me out. Even though I have no context for it this scene from silent hill 2 unnerves me.

All I know is its not a glitch and its supposed to be that big.

I'm pretty sure her eyes follow you, too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I went to see Ghostbusters at a proper IMAX today for the first time since i went to one at NASA as a teen, and other than finding out that sitting in a 5 storey theater sets off my 'crazy dizzy brain' stuff more than I'd like, I loved the experience.

I'm curious as to what is generally different about the prints they use compared to a normal screening. Ghostbusters had a single scene shot in IMAX's more open matte format at the end (I honestly wasn't expecting any at all so that was neat) which I'm used to from having a few blu-ray films that do it, but it also had a ton of scenes where the effects were rendered above and below the frame too which were really cool. Is that common? Are there any other special features IMAX gets that 35mm/normal digital doesn't?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
That's from Silent Hill 4: The Room, not Silent Hill 2.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Silent & Hill

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
2 Silent 2 Hill.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
What was the reason for The Rocketeer not being more successful then it was? Was it the lead character? I re-watched it recently and remember loving it as a kid and whilst watching I did think that it's ripe for a reboot or TV show.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
My parents never let me watch the Rocketeer. I'm still bitter about it. I still haven't seen it, either.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MisterGBH posted:

What was the reason for The Rocketeer not being more successful then it was? Was it the lead character? I re-watched it recently and remember loving it as a kid and whilst watching I did think that it's ripe for a reboot or TV show.

No one gave a poo poo about the movie and it wasn't a character like Batman or Spider-Man where you have a poo poo ton of comics to steal different ideas from.

I say this as a kid who saw the movie in theaters and loved it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Snak posted:

My parents never let me watch the Rocketeer. I'm still bitter about it. I still haven't seen it, either.

If you liked the first Captain America movie you'd probably dig The Rocketeer, and in the later movie the bad guys are actual Nazis.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Skwirl posted:

No one gave a poo poo about the movie and it wasn't a character like Batman or Spider-Man where you have a poo poo ton of comics to steal different ideas from.

I say this as a kid who saw the movie in theaters and loved it.

I saw it in the cinema too. Just read that over here it only made in the region of a million. The one thing that I don't like about it as an adult is Cliff seemingly bumbles and stumbles through everything. Oh and Captain America one of my favourites of recent times.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Snak posted:

I'm pretty sure her eyes follow you, too.
More or less. Giant supernatural heads are apparently at increased risk for nystagmus.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Poltergeist (1982).

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Evil Dead II had one toward the end.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's not a horror movie but this bit from Time Bandits scared me when I was a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cfumd0JPBw&t=39s

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

MisterGBH posted:

Rocka-who?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

MisterGBH posted:

It came out a year after Dick Tracy poisoned the retro comic book movie well for the average moviegoer.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

It came out a year after Dick Tracy poisoned the retro comic book movie well for the average moviegoer.

But Dick Tracy was actually well received?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maxwell Lord posted:

But Dick Tracy was actually well received?

Beatty has always wanted to do a sequel (even though Disney dropped it after they were disappointed with the first film's reception) but there was an issue with the rights (plus his executive producers were suing him over the movie) which wasn't resolved until 2013. 23 years of legal bullshit must have sucked. Wikipedia has a rundown of all the legal bullshit and reports that Beatty has been talking about a sequel as recently as April this year.

Here's the TV special he made in 2008:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdFbiRK-UaY

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 19, 2016

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MisterGBH posted:

Disney was talking about rebooting it as recently as 2012. They'd originally hoped to spin the 1991 film into a trilogy and had Bill Campbell all signed up for another two films but they were disappointed with the film's reception so they shelved those plans. The fact that their relationship with the director was described as "acrimonious" and that the guy who created the comic kept hanging around and fighting them every time they tried to change anything probably didn't help either.

Skwirl posted:

If you liked the first Captain America movie you'd probably dig The Rocketeer

That's no coincidence, they were both directed by the same guy. Joe Johnston actually got the gig on Captain America: The First Avenger in part due to his work on The Rocketeer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Okay, I'd never actually seen The Rocketeer so after it came up yesterday I tracked down a copy and I just finished watching it. Yeah, I didn't have a great time. The lead actor wasn't very charismatic and his character was pretty bland, he didn't have a lot of chemistry with Jennifer Connelly until perhaps the very end (even though they were apparently boning behind the scenes) and that scene where Timothy Dalton kidnapped her and was trying to seduce her was a weird creepy scene that gave me tonal whiplash. I also wasn't sure where they were pitching the film -- it felt like a kids' film for the most part but then they had a bunch of stuff aimed at adults like the rapey scene and cameo appearances from historical figures like WC Fields and scenes where there was just dialogue for ages and ages.
Alan Arkin was fine, Terry O'Quinn as Howard Hughes was great and deserved to be in a better movie and any scene where Cliff was flying around in the Rocketeer costume was delightful but it felt like there wasn't enough of that. The fact that the climax was in a hydrogen blimp where he couldn't use the rocket pack and he ended up losing the pack to Dalton felt like a let down. Connelly was incredibly wooden for most of the film. The fact that the gangsters were portrayed semi-sympathetically and given some measure of redemption at the end was novel but didn't sit right.

But even after all that it still felt like a proto-MCU film so I can see why kids would have loved it back in the day.