Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Volcott posted:

Voyager being able to land is fine, but they've clearly got some unmentioned tech keeping it from toppling over.

Also, the nacelles wiggled because the old designs hosed up subspace. Later, they figured out how to not gently caress up subspace without the wiggle.

The General posted:

That warp ruins subspace TNG episode is poo poo.

And quickly forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

AugmentedVision posted:

Apparently the drive section is like 20 times denser than the saucer since it doesn't tip over

This goes back to the TNG tech manual where they said the warp nacelles were by far the densest parts of the ship. The warp coils are supposedly loving massive.

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This goes back to the TNG tech manual where they said the warp nacelles were by far the densest parts of the ship. The warp coils are supposedly loving massive.

The nacelles seemed so roomy when they crammed the entire crew into one of them in Enterprise.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

late but I just realized that this drunken babble from a character in a parody fanfic might be the most correct use of the iso- prefix ever seen on Star Trek

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

So in theory, whenever the ship gets knocked around by Q or Tin Man or whatever and goes sailing off in a flat spin, it should be spinning around the nacelles instead of around a point more-or-less in the middle of the ship.

... We're putting more thought into this than the show runners ever did, aren't we?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
You know, I swear one of those maps of the Star Trek galaxy shows the true scope of Janeway's incompetence; if she'd gone towards the Gamma Quadrant instead of Alpha, they'd reach the far end of the Bajoran wormhole much much sooner than 70 years.

Also the landing thing I at least remember as being a half-assed emergency the first time because they hosed the ship up bad and needed to set down fix it or something. The flexible nacelles always seemed dumb as hell though, because that kind of thing has to be a bitch to repair.

"We can't go to warp Captain, the loving left nacelle won't go up! Again!"

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know, I swear one of those maps of the Star Trek galaxy shows the true scope of Janeway's incompetence; if she'd gone towards the Gamma Quadrant instead of Alpha, they'd reach the far end of the Bajoran wormhole much much sooner than 70 years.

Also the landing thing I at least remember as being a half-assed emergency the first time because they hosed the ship up bad and needed to set down fix it or something. The flexible nacelles always seemed dumb as hell though, because that kind of thing has to be a bitch to repair.

"We can't go to warp Captain, the loving left nacelle won't go up! Again!"

The wormhole got turned off multiple times, and to get to it they had to go through Dominion space.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Powered Descent posted:

So in theory, whenever the ship gets knocked around by Q or Tin Man or whatever and goes sailing off in a flat spin, it should be spinning around the nacelles instead of around a point more-or-less in the middle of the ship.

... We're putting more thought into this than the show runners ever did, aren't we?

Whenever you notice something like that, subspace drag did it.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Germstore posted:

Whenever you notice something like that, subspace drag did it.

I blame verdiron particles

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Harry Kim warned them off the Gamma quadrant route after that bad experience at Quarks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Volcott posted:

The wormhole got turned off multiple times, and to get to it they had to go through Dominion space.

Didnt Voyager start before the Dominion War though?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I remember some episode of Voyager where they have contact with somebody from the Alpha Quadrant and they mention the Dominion War in some fashion and the Voyager crew is all like "aroo?" but of course that's the end of it because god forbid you say something interesting or have the characters react emotionally to the fact that their brethren are locked in a life or death struggle and they can't help.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Chomp8645 posted:

I remember some episode of Voyager where they have contact with somebody from the Alpha Quadrant and they mention the Dominion War in some fashion and the Voyager crew is all like "aroo?" but of course that's the end of it because god forbid you say something interesting or have the characters react emotionally to the fact that their brethren are locked in a life or death struggle and they can't help.

I mean, B'elenna did get pretty bummed out when they found out all their Maquis friends got murdered super hard.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

quote:

Gamma Quadrant

"Navigator, plot the quickest path to the Alpha Quadra- oooh, a coffee nebula 27 light years out of our way, let's explore it. "

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chomp8645 posted:

You'd think at the very least Starfleet could've gone "here, have the replicator blueprints for the new uniforms and stop dressing like chumps".

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Did anyone ever go to the Beta Quadrant

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
B'elanna can gently caress off. She's a goddamn whiner and everyone knows it.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Klingon homeworld is there.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Hector Beerlioz posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Federation space sits right on the border between the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

criscodisco posted:

B'elanna can gently caress off. She's a goddamn whiner and everyone knows it.

Only the charm of Tom Paris can still her tempestuous spirit

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Only the charm of Tom Paris can still her tempestuous spirit

Or these weird things called car-toons from the 1950's and popcorn.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Voyager should have gone up and over the galactic core. Nothing up there so get up to speed, kill the engines and let the core's gravity arc you back down on your way home. They could have sat and sipped the recycled coffee-piss for 80 peaceful years of really well-written holo novels and clarinet concerts.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Nothing to aimlessly explore up there, though.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Plus I though that it was canon that there was a galactic barrier that kept anything from leaving the galaxy.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

criscodisco posted:

Plus I though that it was canon that there was a galactic barrier that kept anything from leaving the galaxy.

I think that was in the 2nd tos episode Idk if it was revisited

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
no pre-warp cultures to conquer either

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Hector Beerlioz posted:

As others have said, Beta Quadrant is home to Klingons and Romulans. They don't bring it up because they don't want viewers to get confused. Ironic since The only other fan as obsessive over minutiae and detail are WH40K fans.

Another thing about Janeway's route. Should've gone to the center of the galaxy and hooked up with the Cytherians. You'd think Barclay would've mentioned them.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

AugmentedVision posted:

late but I just realized that this drunken babble from a character in a parody fanfic might be the most correct use of the iso- prefix ever seen on Star Trek

That comic is better than the combined best parts of every Voyager episode ever filmed, and it's not even a good comic.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Automatic Slim posted:

As others have said, Beta Quadrant is home to Klingons and Romulans. They don't bring it up because they don't want viewers to get confused. Ironic since The only other fan as obsessive over minutiae and detail are WH40K fans.

Another thing about Janeway's route. Should've gone to the center of the galaxy and hooked up with the Cytherians. You'd think Barclay would've mentioned them.

Is the neutral zone the boundary between the two?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
What's WH40K?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

criscodisco posted:

The Great Barrier was supposed to prevent people from leaving the galaxy. Shatner muddled things by putting it around the center of the Galaxy to prevent "God" from leaving. Roddenberry considered Star Trek V apocryphal and the less said the better.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

That way lies madness. Don't even think about it if the inconsistencies of trek-space adhered to your brain.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Automatic Slim posted:

The Great Barrier was supposed to prevent people from leaving the galaxy. Shatner muddled things by putting it around the center of the Galaxy to prevent "God" from leaving. Roddenberry considered Star Trek V apocryphal and the less said the better.

I don't want to live in a world where portable marshmallow toasters aren't cannon

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I think it's those little metal dolls you paint then when you're done painting them you get some more and paint those.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

criscodisco posted:

I think it's those little metal dolls you paint then when you're done painting them you get some more and paint those.

Oooh, I remember back in middle school I met a friend of a friend who snuck those things to a sleep over to paint cause he got in trouble and got his figurine painting privileges taken away at home.

I believe he drowned in a river a few years ago.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Was that the thing where they had stores in the mall? With tabletops where people used rulers to move the things around?

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
Who knows I just went straight to the arcade.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Vic's palpable disgust at Bashir's painful farewell "Catch Ya Later Bayh-Bee" on their first meeting was pretty great.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

shadow puppet of a posted:

That way lies madness. Don't even think about it if the inconsistencies of trek-space adhered to your brain.

That's what makes WH40K so fun. Some inconsistencies are intentionally ambiguous so certain stories conflict. And others are there so Games Workshop can tell you all those metal toys you painted are non-regulation and you have to buy new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Watching that episode where Neelix dies and finds out there is no after life and existence is pointless