Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I'd argue scholars are often more in demand (in demand not necessarily meaning better or worse) due to their shields and theoretically better dps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Vil posted:

1. Make sure the version of the game you're trying to play (Windows, Mac, PS4, and PS3 are all considered separate for this purpose) shows up on Mogstation as having been registered for Heavensward. If you, say, have Windows and PS4 versions of the game but only Windows has Heavensward registered to Mogstation, then you can do Heavensward stuff on Windows but not on PS4.

2. Make sure Heavensward is actually physically installed. I think on the console versions you have to do some console-level fuckery to the tune of "hey, check if I have any DLC to download for this game" to get it go "oh hey, Heavensward exists and I should probably download it". On Windows you might need to log in to your account, then go back to the launcher, for it to realize? :shrug:

Steam is also considered separate from Windows for this as well, last I checked.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I pre-ordered and registered heavensward when it came out, i just got exhausted and stopped playing back then before finishing the main story quest. I got my Collector's Edition in-game in the mail (the Kain puppet, mount etc.) and Mog-station says it's registered. But:

God drat it, Alphie, i could be doing some of these new beast tribe quests right now.

edit: on the other hand, fire shards sell for 400g a pop right now, so i'm kinda okay with shard farming. What happened to the prices since 2.57?!?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
nobody farms them anymore because pretty much every craft in hw except some cooking ingredients requires at minimum crystals

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

vOv posted:

All jobs are viable in endgame content.

some people keep arguing that Astrologian isn't as favorable as Scholar or White Mage, why am I hearing about this? I'm curious about Astrologian and may look into it later on

FactsAreUseless posted:

IDK if only white mages are useful healers for endgame dungeons but Scholar seems more fun.

It's really more of a stylistic thing. White Mages are very bursty with their heals while Scholars trickle it in. I was a WHM in a previous life before the expansion, it was fun and I miss her but I'm enjoying Scholar very much, it feels a little different but Eos makes it look so pretty and the magic barrier is really cool. The healing effects in this game is by far the most prettiest to look at

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 17, 2016

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Lastgirl posted:

some people keep arguing that Astrologian isn't as favorable as Scholar or White Mage, why am I hearing about this? I'm curious about Astrologian and may look into it later on

It's really more of a stylistic thing. White Mages are very bursty with their heals while Scholars trickle it in.

Adloquium is a broken skill, so Nocturnal AST can't properly replace it. It's doable, but it's way more difficult.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Niton posted:

Adloquium is a broken skill, so Nocturnal AST can't properly replace it. It's doable, but it's way more difficult.

Also Nocturnal's shield overwrites Adloq, when Adloq is the way better shield.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Niton posted:

Broken because if you land a crit heal on it, the shield is so much stronger right?

So only go Astrologian if you want Dark Souls difficulty healing basically?

EponymousMrYar posted:

Also Nocturnal's shield overwrites Adloq, when Adloq is the way better shield.

yikes in group content if Astrologian does this to a Scholar's critical Adloq

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lastgirl posted:

Broken because if you land a crit heal on it, the shield is so much stronger right?

So only go Astrologian if you want Dark Souls difficulty healing basically?

yikes in group content if Astrologian does this to a Scholar's critical Adloq

Astrologian is fine, just don't use Nocturnal Sect unless you've got two Astrologians in the same party I guess. Stick to Diurnal Sect.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In "real" raid groups you'll basically only see AST (diurnal)/WHM + SCH for those reasons. Adlo+faerie is so good and even if nocturnal AST had good shields the SCH would still win due to the faerie tossing out a steady stream of healing during cleric stance and the AST not getting HoTs or anything else to compensate.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Looks like this Heavy Hatchling I got from the gold saucer is getting me a lot of attention from the anime cat ladies, pro peacocking strats right here.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

hobbesmaster posted:

In "real" raid groups you'll basically only see AST (diurnal)/WHM + SCH for those reasons. Adlo+faerie is so good and even if nocturnal AST had good shields the SCH would still win due to the faerie tossing out a steady stream of healing during cleric stance and the AST not getting HoTs or anything else to compensate.

AST would be so much better if you could change stances in the middle of battle like literally every other job with stances, Put like a minute cooldown on it, whatever.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sword_man.gif posted:

nobody farms them anymore because pretty much every craft in hw except some cooking ingredients requires at minimum crystals

I''d figure supply and demand would balance that out.

edit: lmao, wind crystals go for 260, and wind shard go for 600-800 right now

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

HenryEx posted:

So, i finally got off my rear end and watched the looong ARR final cutscene and the maybe even longer credits afterwards. After like 14 months of story break i've completely forgotten who the white robed dude Lahabrea talks with after the credits is. I feel like it was supposed to be kind of revelatory that he had a talk with Urianger afterwards, but i was just kinda confused instead.

The white robe dude is Elidibus I'm pretty sure. It's a happening that Urianger is talking to him, because they're the bad guys and the WoL and his mates are under the impression that Urianger is not a bad guy. It's backstabby in a way that we're holding our breath for.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's still pretty unclear what white robe Ascian is up to, he's been showing up all over the place and some of the schemes he's been involved in appear to be counterproductive to their long term goal of making Zodiark the supreme god.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The ascians killed spergy McElf's waifu, though, so if he was working with them he certainly is not happy with them.

My guess was not so much that he was meeting with him because they are in cahoots, but more as a parlay.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mr. Nice! posted:

The ascians killed spergy McElf's waifu, though, so if he was working with them he certainly is not happy with them.

My guess was not so much that he was meeting with him because they are in cahoots, but more as a parlay.

Or they're blackmailing him somehow.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So i didn't actually miss all that much. I only remembered that Urianger was the one left behind in Base At The rear end Of Nowhere and gave you all the primals quests, but seemed like a rather dedicated member of the WoL posse. I actually thought Lahabrea was dead af and was like "i clowned this dude out of Thancred why is he still here" but i never paid much attention to story in Praetorium (no one would let you) and the last time i played this game was about 14 months ago.

Heck, i've more than twice as long NOT played this game than i've actually played it. I'm kind of amazed i remembered as much as i still do.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Somebody walk me through when and how to use the fairies. I can't really tell when they're using abilities on their own, so I assume I need to manually control them. Eos gives me more healing ability, I think Selene is most useful when dealing with casters who can drop status effects, but I'm not sure. It's basically eight more abilities I can potentially use on command, so what's the best way to do that?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

FactsAreUseless posted:

Somebody walk me through when and how to use the fairies. I can't really tell when they're using abilities on their own, so I assume I need to manually control them. Eos gives me more healing ability, I think Selene is most useful when dealing with casters who can drop status effects, but I'm not sure. It's basically eight more abilities I can potentially use on command, so what's the best way to do that?

Eos is overkill. Use Selene and let her do her own thing and you'll be fine 99% of the time until you start doing savage raid content or EX primals or something. The one big thing is that if you're going to be moving around a lot, you want to Place her in one spot so she doesn't try to follow you, because she'll prioritize moving over actually healing. (And then use Heel afterwards, because if you run out of range once the fight's over she'll just desummon).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Selene is what you're gonna be using 99% of the time, and you can totally just leave her on auto (Sic) - though Placing her is good because if she's following your movements she won't heal.

Eos is mainly used for..well not much. Cutting edge progression, maybe? If you use her you want to manually do her specials, but even on Obey she'll use Embrace on her own.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

Selene is what you're gonna be using 99% of the time, and you can totally just leave her on auto (Sic) - though Placing her is good because if she's following your movements she won't heal.

Eos is mainly used for..well not much. Cutting edge progression, maybe? If you use her you want to manually do her specials, but even on Obey she'll use Embrace on her own.
Eos seems to be more the more general-use fairy on paper, since she just does healing and damage mitigation rather than silence and status healing, what makes Selene more useful?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

EDIT:

FactsAreUseless posted:

Eos seems to be more the more general-use fairy on paper, since she just does healing and damage mitigation rather than silence and status healing, what makes Selene more useful?

The bonus healing you get doesn't really matter, unless you need to force your way through some really heavy hitting stuff, which only applies to savage raids. Selene gives you bonus skill and spell speed, which means your party can do more damage. Her cleanse also lets you let you focus on doing more damage instead of stopping to take care of it yourself.

They have two modes. Obey lets you tell them when to use their skills, and sic has them use them automatically. 95% of the time, you should leave them on sic, and play around with Obey when you hit 50 and want to micromanage some skills. Both fairies will use their heal skill (embrace) on anyone in your party below 95% HP, and they'll use their buffs on cooldown. Selene's cleanse and silence will automatically go off when someone gets a debuff and when an enemy starts casting, respectively.

In general, Eos is great for high level raiding when you need a fuckton of healing, and Selene is better in every other circumstance over level 30, since she'll be your only cleanse, and she'll give a nice damage boost with her skill/spell speed buff. Below level 30, Eos is slightly better, because she can let you ignore the tank completely, but it's not like it really matters at that level.

Tenik fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 18, 2016

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tenik posted:

They have two modes. Obey lets you tell them when to use their skills, and sic has them use them automatically. 95% of the time, you should leave them on sic, and play around with Obey when you hit 50 and want to micromanage some skills. Both fairies will use their heal skill (embrace) on anyone in your party below 95% HP, and they'll use their buffs on cooldown. Selene's cleanse and silence will automatically go off when someone gets a debuff and when an enemy starts casting, respectively.

In general, Eos is great for high level raiding when you need a fuckton of healing, and Selene is better in every other circumstance over level 30, since she'll be your only cleanse, and she'll give a nice damage boost with her skill/spell speed buff. Below level 30, Eos is slightly better, because she can let you ignore the tank completely, but it's not like it really matters at that level.
This is good to know. Is there anything like FF12's gambit system to let me mess with their AI?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

nope! If you want them to use a skill, you'll need to use it yourself, or just get a feel for when they'll automatically cast it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

This is good to know. Is there anything like FF12's gambit system to let me mess with their AI?

God I loving wish the pets had basic gambits to tweak.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

The biggest problem with Selene's cleanse is that she'll happily use it on any debuff, including ones that can't be cleansed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Also she'll try and silence weaponskills that have a cast time. Selene is trying her hardest.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

vOv posted:

The biggest problem with Selene's cleanse is that she'll happily use it on any debuff, including ones that can't be cleansed.

Weakness and jails are my personal favorites.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah if they could teach Selene's extremely limited AI how to not be a dummy about silences and status effects it would be so good.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I've been working on SCH (already have WHM at 60) and while it's certainly easier to DPS with, I do find it a lot harder to heal in "oh poo poo" situations. It's rare that it ever really is an issue but sometimes if I'm a little late coming out of Cleric and the tank is danger low, it's a lot harder to know I can get them back up to full health in time than it is with WHM. I'm sure some of that comes with experience but at least up to 54, SCH just doesn't have as big of heals in those situations. WHM gets Cure II and Bene (and eventually Tetra) that all make it pretty easy to top people off qwuickly and SCH just doesn't seem to have a matching toolset for that.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lustrate is still good for that, also you get Emergency Tactics (turns the shield into more heals), Indomitability (which is stronger than Medica in exchange for a cooldown and a stack), and Dissipation (which drops your fairy in exchange for three Aetherflow stacks and a healing buff until you can resummom).

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 18, 2016

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
Lustrate is a 600 potency oGCD with an instant cast time and something like 0.5s recast time, meaning you can dump 1800 potency of heals into your tank in less than a gcd.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
Once per minute, yes.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

kafziel posted:

Once per minute, yes.

Dissipation.

Besides, how often are you in a situation where you the tank needs critical healing more than once a minute? Savage raids you'll have another healer with burst heals and no other content should murder a tank that hard.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'm of the opinion that if Selene can't keep the tank alive by herself, either you're doing something wrong, or the tank is doing something wrong (unless it's a boss fight or a particularly bad idea megapull).

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

I'm of the opinion that if Selene can't keep the tank alive by herself, either you're doing something wrong, or the tank is doing something wrong (unless it's a boss fight or a particularly bad idea megapull).

Maybe that's true if you're doing Haukke, but the fairy can't really solo heal anything significant after a certain point. As hilarious as the "fairy can solo heal everything, go afk and watch netflix" meme is at some point the damage output gets high enough (or the pulls get big enough/the fairy starts scaling poorly enough) that what's effectively a ~200-300 pot HoT won't be enough.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
SCH is probably the most interesting healing job in the game to me, and that's why I chose it as my main originally. What I wish someone had told me, though, is that in the high end, people generally see the WHM/AST as the main healer and the SCH as the off-healer. When I played SCH in savage content, I felt like I spent most of my time prepping shields and DPS'ing and very little time actually healing. Of course, I realise most people don't get into that type of content, but I still wish I had known.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Ryanbomber posted:

Maybe that's true if you're doing Haukke, but the fairy can't really solo heal anything significant after a certain point. As hilarious as the "fairy can solo heal everything, go afk and watch netflix" meme is at some point the damage output gets high enough (or the pulls get big enough/the fairy starts scaling poorly enough) that what's effectively a ~200-300 pot HoT won't be enough.
I disagree. She can't solo heal EX roulette stuff, but I've been trying to minimize my number of healing spells cast in EX as an exercise in maximizing DPS uptime, and you'd be surprised how much she can do by herself. With a decent tank I can get by with 4-5 healing spells cast in the entire dungeon. Rouse is stronger than you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

It sounds like your tanks should be making larger pulls.

• Locked thread