Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Looks like an early sketch of a metal album cover.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

chaos rhames posted:

The pen and paper ballot is a technology, and one that works very well.

Yep. Best of all options imo.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
What happens if the paper gets wet or we don't have sharpeners? The most reliable system is word of mouth - we still use telephones every day. You should just tell the person at the booth who you would like to place your vote for and they do it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember a few of years ago, during one the US election cycles, there was a thread about the electronic voting machines being used which were made by Diebold.

I doubt anyone knows the name offhand, but if you've ever used an ATM you've likely used a Diebold product. Well, that's great you say, ATMs are hardy and secure and well built. An ATM maker is just about perfect for making voting machines.

Yes, but this is the US we're talking about, so there's obviously a catch. And a big one.

Diebold is a huge supporter of the Republican party - big donor, publicly endorse their candidates, the whole schmeer. Now that's a big red flag when it comes to allowing this company to decide an election. And let's be frank, whichever company gets the contract to make the voting machines is the one which ultimately decides who wins - whether by honesty and all due diligence, or through shoddy design and implementation, or via outright corruption.

Diebold seemed to go for option B and C.

Voting machines were networked together and most networks had no security on them whatsoever, allowing some white hat hackers to gain near total access to their local machines simply by playing around with the back of the voting machines and, IIRC, attaching USB drives or WiFi dongles.

A disturbingly large number of the public simply were unable to vote Democratic. When they touched the screen on the spot for their candidate, the Republican one was selected, or it wouldn't work at all.

The whole thing was a farce which authorities did everything in their power to ignore.

The US allows openly partisan individuals and organisations to control voting, they lack our independent AEC and suffer because of it. What some states did with postal votes beggared belief and that's something which has been around since forever.

As much as the nerd in me loves the idea of electronic voting, too much rides on an election for us to allow it to occur in anything but the most rugged, independent and objectively accurate manner possible.

EDIT:

How to hack a US voting machine in ten seconds or less:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4FPuLNjvAc

Wrong person selected on touchscreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTjvfhCJUEM

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

That second one just looks like the touchscreen is hosed. Would have been interesting if he was able to select his candidate by touching a bit higher up.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lugarno/miscellaneous-goods/ditch-the-witch-anti-carbon-tax-sign/1043231685

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

More from this seller
SCYTHE BLADE
SCYTHE BLADE ONLY - This is a good blade looking for a handle, suit collector, farmer, men's shed, display. Peter $80.

DISCO HIGH BLOCK HEELS SHOES size 8
DISCO ERA HIGH BLOCK HEELS SHOES size 8 as worn by SIR LES PATTERSON, ideal for fancy dress parties, shop display, memorabilia collection etc. Peter.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nat...713-gq53sa.html
Two-thirds of the public servants faced with moving to Armidale under Barnaby Joyce's "farcical" plan for de-centralisation would refuse, the workers' union said.

Professionals Australia ACT director David Smith also said attempts by the Nationals to keep their coalition deal with the Liberals secret added to fears of further relocations of Canberra public servants to the regions.

Mr Smith said any value in moving the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority 750 kilometres north was questionable, given a $24.1 million commitment for relocation costs and potential redundancy liabilities of up to $10 million.

"As a first test of economic credibility, to still be going ahead with a cost-benefit analysis despite the fact they've already made the decision and allocated money to move is just farcical," he said.

The move had been speculated for more than a year before Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, the agriculture minister, made the announcement during the election campaign on June 9. Mr Smith said he expected little had changed since a staff survey in mid-2015 found about 110 people would not uproot their lives to go to Armidale in Mr Joyce's northern NSW electorate.

A spokesman for Mr Joyce said this week the cost benefit analysis report on the relocation was still to be finalised and provided to the agriculture department, but the government would consider any transition arrangements it raised.

"It is also worth noting that whilst economic modelling is an important consideration, decentralisation of the APVMA is also about creating centres of excellence in regional areas with government agencies partnering with regional universities and industry research organisations to become agricultural research hubs," he said.

The spokesman said no decision on the future location of the Murray Darling Basin Authority "over the longer term" had been made, and no cost benefit analysis for any move from Canberra had been commissioned.

Mr Smith said with the details of the renewed coalition agreement unknown he had no confidence the basin authority, which employs about 300 staff, would remain in the national capital.

National Farmers' Federation president Brent Finlay called for the release of the cost benefit report by EY into the pesticides authority last month, saying he wanted an assurance the move would not hurt farm businesses.

"The NFF has always been concerned moving the APVMA would result in a loss of highly specific and skilled regulatory scientists and damage organisational continuity, which would delay the already difficult registration process for new pesticides and medicines," Mr Finlay said.

If there's one thing the public service needs it's an even shallower talent pool. Good work Barnaby.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

open24hours posted:

If there's one thing the public service needs it's an even shallower talent pool. Good work Barnaby.

As if he cares. All he wants is to offer his business backers the discretionary spending of any public servants he can get his hands on.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

gay picnic defence posted:

As if he cares. All he wants is to offer his business backers the discretionary spending of any public servants he can get his hands on.
I think you are giving Barnaby more credit than he is actually due.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

open24hours posted:

Get rid of all the old guard, fill the spots with your own people and isolate the whole thing to allow an insular culture to develop

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Armidale will truly become a centre of scientific excellence.

PatriotPete
Jul 14, 2016

Get fucked lefties

CrazyTolradi posted:

You do know that the economic depressions following WW1 were due to a rise in nationalism and protectionist economies right, which is exactly what Trump represents?

The rise of Hitler and the Nazis was bought on due to a rise in popularity of unionism after world world 1. The predecessors of the Nazi party were all unionists. Unionism is protected by the political left. Trump is running for the REPUBLICAN party on the political right. The republican party line is very anti union and by endorsing Donald Trump as their lead candidate it also suggests that Trump is also very anti union. Which further suggests he is also anti Nazi.

All the more reasons to vote for Donald and help America become great again!

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

PatriotPete posted:

It's almost as if right/left is a false dichotomy that the major parties use to exclude alternative views!

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

PatriotPete posted:

The rise of Hitler and the Nazis was bought on due to a rise in popularity of unionism after world world 1. The predecessors of the Nazi party were all unionists. Unionism is protected by the political left. Trump is running for the REPUBLICAN party on the political right. The republican party line is very anti union and by endorsing Donald Trump as their lead candidate it also suggests that Trump is also very anti union. Which further suggests he is also anti Nazi.

'Citation needed' on the whole thing.

My dude, you knew Hitler banned trade unions, right? Which sounds like the kind of thing you would get behind.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
This troll would not be more blatant if he were green and lived under a bridge, and people still try to engage him. It's astounding, really.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
My favourite thing about Armidale is the bypass

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

This troll would not be more blatant if he were green and lived under a bridge, and people still try to engage him. It's astounding, really.

Please stop unfairly profiling my gangrenous bridge people.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Recoome posted:

My favourite thing about Armidale is the bypass

You won't want to be bypassing Armidale when it becomes the scientific capital of Australia.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
worst gimmick poster ever

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Is it even a troll? I thought it was just someone posting sarcastically. :confused:

SadisTech posted:

worst gimmick poster ever

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Well have you seen house prices these days? He's lucky to have even that.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Is it even a troll? I thought it was just someone posting sarcastically. :confused:

He's literally Anidavs facebook friend.

Anidav bought him an account because he wanted to troll the thread

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

PatriotPete posted:

still better than anything thatfatkid ever wrote

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
For next time helmet chat comes up

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I saw this posted on Twitter earlier. It focuses on the US but a lot of it is still applicable here. I know that UBIs don't have much political support at the moment, but when trying to promote them it's important to remember where the support is coming from and what might be motivating it (not altruism).

quote:

http://www.cbpp.org/poverty-and-opportunity/commentary-universal-basic-income-may-sound-attractive-but-if-it-occurred
I greatly admire the commitment of UBI supporters who see it as a way to end poverty in America. But for UBI to do that, it would have to: (1) be large enough to raise people to the poverty line without ending Medicaid, child care assistance, assistance in meeting high rental costs, and the like (otherwise, out-of-pocket health, child care, and housing costs would push many people back into poverty); and (2) include among its recipients people who aren’t currently working (and lack much of an earnings record), something no U.S. universal program does. It also would have to be financed mainly by raising taxes layered on top of the large tax increases we’ll already need — and will probably have to fight tough political battles to achieve — to avert large benefit cuts in Social Security and Medicare and meet other needs.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

norp posted:

For this to be meaningful we'd also need to know what percentage of the bicycling population included in the chart wears vs doesn't wear helmets.

Don't get me wrong, I think mandatory helmet laws are a good thing and that helmets do indeed save lives, I'm just saying that this chart by itself doesn't prove anything.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tithin posted:

He's literally Anidavs facebook friend.

Anidav bought him an account because he wanted to troll the thread

scoff.gif

Nickopops
Jan 8, 2006
You must be this funky to ride.

SadisTech posted:

For this to be meaningful we'd also need to know what percentage of the bicycling population included in the chart wears vs doesn't wear helmets.

Don't get me wrong, I think mandatory helmet laws are a good thing and that helmets do indeed save lives, I'm just saying that this chart by itself doesn't prove anything.
Surely that only matter if wearing a helmet affects how likely you are to have an accident in the first place, which I wouldn't think it would?

e: actually I think what you'd need is total accident numbers. Ah it's my day off, I'm not thinking about stats today.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Nickopops posted:

Surely that only matter if wearing a helmet affects how likely you are to have an accident in the first place, which I wouldn't think it would?

e: actually I think what you'd need is total accident numbers. Ah it's my day off, I'm not thinking about stats today.

helmets are a moral hazard, by lessening the consequences of a crash they encourage bicyclists to dive head-first off their bikes for no reason.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

So Sonia Kruger is trying to be the new Pauline Hanson by the sounds of things?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

norp posted:

Data from which country? If most riders outside Australia don't wear a helmet, then it's not a surprising correlation.

DNQ
Sep 7, 2004

Let me hear you balalaika's ringing out, come and keep your comrade warm!
Infuriating how they ask dickheads like Sonia Kruger for their opinions about foreign affairs and immigration. They wouldn't ask a foreign affairs professor on and ask him what he thought of the voice. No wonder people vote for One Nation when these are the opinions presented on mainstream tv.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

norp posted:

N/A? Are there many headless cyclists?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Julie Bishop has apparently announced that Kevin Rudd has requested that the Australian government nominate him for the position of UN Secretary General.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010
Schrodinger's bike helmet.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They'd be insane to recommend him, but I wonder if there isn't some sort of unwritten rule that will compel them to do so. Can't go jeopardising your own chances of a post-politics job.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MaliciousOnion posted:

N/A? Are there many headless cyclists?

Lotta bike riding dullahans around, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Measured take on the Liberal party room meeting.

quote:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...6bc5866d19be1b9
At a pivotal moment in the history of the free world, conservatives must forge the continuity of Western civilisation by renewing the Christian tradition of liberty.

• Locked thread