Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Tokoyami doesn't actually try to be cool in an edgelord way though. If he became some kind of vigilante he would be but he's on the up and up.

But I also like him so maybe I am biased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
He's not an edgelord, but he is 110% trying to be cool in the most chuuni way possible. He has a natural head start on that, between his name, his head, and legitimately having dark powers that are hard to control, to be sure. But this is a guy who described something as a 'banquet of darkness' and then repeated himself when he thought nobody had heard him, has blackout shades so he can light his room with ominous candles and skulls with glowing eyes, collects sword keychains, owns an actual sword, sits at a throne when he's using his computer, and not only plays, but has a poster for DIE DICE in his room.

But while he thinks it's all cool, he's also aware of how dorky it actually is. So when the room competition rolls around, he realizes "oh poo poo if I let them see my room I am never going to live this down ever, I have to keep them out". But he can't suddenly pretend that he's sick or something (that wouldn't be cool!) so he leans against his door and pretends to be above it all, while hoping that nobody calls his bluff. Naturally, this plan stands no chance whatsoever against Mina and Hagakure, but to him that's how a cool person would do it, so that's how he does it. He's not actually a standoffish person--he's pretty friendly, in fact--and his desire to be a hero seems to run deeper than just wanting to be cool. He's a good person and a great character.

Basically Tokoyami fuckin' owns.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I've caught up, this manga is so good I can't barely find the words.

Here's my surface thoughts after binging this:

1. Bakugou is a better character than Sasuke in Every. Goddamn. Way. I think the easiest explanation is he's at least funny in how prickly he is and has a heart underneath his jerky exterior.
2. The author consistently finds interesting combinations of characters to work together for each challenge so the characters each get a decent amount of exposure.
3. It's refreshing in so many ways in how the plot unravels itself, so many "obvious" plot points just don't happen as you'd expect, and it's better for it.
4. The comic is consistently funny.
5. Deku's mom is awesome.
6. All Might is crazy awesome.
7. I like Deku's and Urarara's budding relationship in how it's a little lopsided with Urarara maturing in her feelings a little faster than Deku is.

e: Gliblord, the translator for the manga tweeted me back about my translation suggestion! He likes it!

In chapter 59 he talks about how translating "Honourable Elder" is something he couldn't translate easily into English, so I suggested "Hey! what about using 'Sir'?" and said I was right. :3: I'm Canadian and Canada has a sort of superficial similarity to Japan in terms of politeness.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jul 18, 2016

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Raenir Salazar posted:

I've caught up, this manga is so good I can't barely find the words.

Here's my surface thoughts after binging this:

1. Bakugou is a better character than Sasuke in Every. Goddamn. Way. I think the easiest explanation is he's at least funny in how prickly he is and has a heart underneath his jerky exterior.
2. The author consistently finds interesting combinations of characters to work together for each challenge so the characters each get a decent amount of exposure.
3. It's refreshing in so many ways in how the plot unravels itself, so many "obvious" plot points just don't happen as you'd expect, and it's better for it.
4. The comic is consistently funny.
5. Deku's mom is awesome.
6. All Might is crazy awesome.
7. I like Deku's and Urarara's budding relationship in how it's a little lopsided with Urarara maturing in her feelings a little faster than Deku is.

e: Gliblord, the translator for the manga tweeted me back about my translation suggestion! He likes it!

In chapter 59 he talks about how translating "Honourable Elder" is something he couldn't translate easily into English, so I suggested "Hey! what about using 'Sir'?" and said I was right. :3: I'm Canadian and Canada has a sort of superficial similarity to Japan in terms of politeness.

Welcome! That's a good list, all correct opinions. I think a lot of us binged the manga and were hooked because the pacing, art, and message is so on point.

I recently tried to read Black Clover because it was mentioned in this thread and.....yeah.... doesn't hold a candle to BnHA...I'm surprised it's trending as more popular, currently.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

CQC Uraraka is cool and I hope we get to see more of her doing that.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Personally I never saw Bakugou as a Sasuke-like, particularly once Todoroki started becoming more prominent. Thankfully he also deftly avoided that fate, as the title of the thread will tell you. This Manga Has A Lot Of Good Characters.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

This is true and cute and good

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
People constantly trying to compare Bakugou to Sasuke was confusing and is still confusing to me.

Sasuke's hair was black but Bakugou's like, a blonde or a brunette.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

People constantly trying to compare Bakugou to Sasuke was confusing and is still confusing to me.

Sasuke's hair was black but Bakugou's like, a blonde or a brunette.

He's on the same side as the protagonist but has a very directly antagonistic relationship with him. He is also kidnapped and must be rescued before he is turned to the other side.

Really he's only similar in thematic ways not in actual characteristics.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bakumom and Dekumom should become best friends.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Comic posted:

He's on the same side as the protagonist but has a very directly antagonistic relationship with him. He is also kidnapped and must be rescued before he is turned to the other side.

They're not even too thematically similar. Sasuke is a whiny baby who joins the villains at practically the first opportunity, while Bakugou tells them to gently caress right off without a second thought because he rules.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Say Nothing posted:

Bakumom and Dekumom should become best friends.

Mom Hero Academia

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Comic posted:

Sasuke can shoot fire from his mouth but Bakugou can't.

Bakugou can make explosions out of sweat though and Sasuke can't do that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It just irks me that a bunch of people (generally on the comments section of manga reader sites, which I really shouldn't read) have come to the conclusion that shounen rival = Sasuke.

I see these comparisons made not just with Hero Academia, but also Black Clover, where it makes even less sense.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's because they've got a limited frame of reference and don't realize "anime rival" has been a thing for basically forever.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

T.G. Xarbala posted:

It's because they've got a limited frame of reference and don't realize "anime rival" has been a thing for basically forever.

Somehow everyone defaults back to Sasuke when in reality Vegeta existed before Sasuke.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Somehow everyone defaults back to Sasuke when in reality Vegeta existed before Sasuke.

drat kids don't appreciate the classic rival dad, who is both the better dad than the dad he was a rival to, and a better dad than Sasuke, the rival dad in a series fresher in the public memory.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kids default back to sasuke because kids love sasuke. that dimwitted edgelord stuff is like crack to undeveloped minds.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Serious Frolicking posted:

kids default back to sasuke because kids love sasuke. that dimwitted edgelord stuff is like crack to undeveloped minds.

Don't call me a kid just because Sasuke is my spirit anime.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Me, as a teen, reading Samurai Deeper Kyo: "A character called Sarutobi Sasuke? God, they just ripped it off Naruto!!!"

I was very stupid as a teen.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

Personally I never saw Bakugou as a Sasuke-like, particularly once Todoroki started becoming more prominent. Thankfully he also deftly avoided that fate, as the title of the thread will tell you. This Manga Has A Lot Of Good Characters.

While I was still reading it for the first time, I saw Todoroki more as a Zuko than Sasuke, personally.

Somehow everyone defaults back to Vegeta when in reality Krillin existed before Vegeta.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 18, 2016

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I feel that Bakugou ~= Sasuke train of thought I and others have is because he shares a number of certain plot beats. Sasuke exhibited a certain similar desperate jealous rage with Naruto that Bakugou does.

Both are extremely talented individuals.
Both either underestimate or look down upon their "rival" and are somewhat complacent about it until they receive a "rude shock".
Both think that said rival that they looked down upon is surpassing them or is on the cusp of doing so and This Makes Them Angry.
Both are tempted by Evil a "quick" or "better" way of attaining power for Reasons.

In the case of this manga this is not only a superficial reading of his character it's also and brilliantly so, acknowledged as such in universe. Bakugou is distinctly not that sort of character who would even consider such an offer, it's both beneath and incomprehensible to him.

Sure Bakugou is not very Hero like in appearance but underneath that he wants to be a Hero and sincerely looks up to All Might.

Yes Vegeta does something similar but that's mainly just the Buu arc.

RareAcumen posted:

While I was still reading it for the first time, I saw Todoroki more as a Zuko than Sasuke, personally.

Haha that's surprisingly appropos, except Todoroki's dad isn't as much as an rear end in a top hat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Haha that's surprisingly appropos, except Todoroki's dad isn't as much as an rear end in a top hat.

That's how you know something's wrong, when you're a worse dad than Endeavour.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i thought that was a joke. it made me laugh, at least.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
The reason people compare Bakugo to Sasuke isn't because they're idiots who just don't understand anime as well as you. It's because people got burned hard by Sasuke. The dude was the focal point of Naruto collapsing into utter poo poo. Of course when people read a shounen and see a jerk teamate that treats the protagonist like crap, they get a little antsy. Luckily, My Hero Academia is really good and has so far completely avoided all of the pitfalls Naruto fell into.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wittgen posted:

The reason people compare Bakugo to Sasuke isn't because they're idiots who just don't understand anime as well as you. It's because people got burned hard by Sasuke. The dude was the focal point of Naruto collapsing into utter poo poo. Of course when people read a shounen and see a jerk teamate that treats the protagonist like crap, they get a little antsy. Luckily, My Hero Academia is really good and has so far completely avoided all of the pitfalls Naruto fell into.

I feel like the focal point of Naruto's stupidity was when we found out how cool Obito was.

SPOILER: He was the coolest.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kakashi, Jiraiya, Tsunade, and Shikamaru were the only cool chracters in Naruto.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hinata was alright.

Also Killer B is great.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i always had more of a problem with naruto's insane fixation on some jerk he barely knew than the jerk himself.

as for bakugou, he believed that deku was a wimpy bystander who was left eating his dust from the moment he was born. that was actually a pretty accurate assessment of quirkless deku, though naturally bakugou had to be an abusive dickhole about it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How long did Naruto even hang around Sasuke for anyways.

It seems really short.

They met, went on a few easy missions, went on a really hard mission, took part of an exam together and went their separate ways for separate training, and then Itachi happened and then Sasuke decided to leave.

You don't really see them hang around or spend time together just chillin'.

Bleach has the same issue.

It's why I've always preferred One Piece to the other two because you get the feeling that the Straw Hats are an actually tightly knit crew.

It helps that they live on the same boat.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

It seems really short.

They met, went on a few easy missions, went on a really hard mission, took part of an exam together and went their separate ways for separate training, and then Itachi happened and then Sasuke decided to leave.

It's why I've always preferred One Piece to the other two because you get the feeling that the Straw Hats are an actually tightly knit crew.

Though even in One Piece, the time skip makes things a bit odd. Robin has spent more time around Luffy's father than around Luffy himself.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

chumbler posted:

They're not even too thematically similar. Sasuke is a whiny baby who joins the villains at practically the first opportunity, while Bakugou tells them to gently caress right off without a second thought because he rules.

Not disagreeing at all really, they're put into similar situations but react very very differently. It's why Sasuke isn't a fun character and Bakugou is.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Though even in One Piece, the time skip makes things a bit odd. Robin has spent more time around Luffy's father than around Luffy himself.

Time skips are rarely done well. One Piece has not been as good since its time skip.

Though I do agree that One Piece did the fight between friends thing better, because Usopp's fight with Luffy was really good.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

It seems really short.

Timeframes are really hosed up in manga.

Like I think that every bit of pre-timeskip One Piece takes place over the course of maybe 6 months tops if I recall correctly.

You know how long it has been since Midoriya entered UA? Somewhere in the neighborhood of ~4 months or so. They're JUST starting the second semester of three in their first year of school.

In Naruto I think by the time the Chuunin exams and the fallout from those rolls around it has been something in the neighborhood of 2-3 months tops. So Naruto considers a guy who he barely knows and treated him like poo poo for about 80% of that time his "best friend". I mean, I guess he did almost die for him that one time.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, they've spent like 6 months together and 2 years apart, or at least according to some fan thing I read. Though the ones who joined later, like Franky, Robin, and Brooke, have obviously spent less time than that.

That said, I can buy it with One Piece because the very process of getting someone to join generally involves Luffy and co. solving a problem for the new recruit and inspiring them to dream. They form a sort of connection that they know they can't find in other crews. Once you go through all the stuff that the crew has gone through together, you're pretty much inseparable unless your ship is on the verge of destruction and you're robbed of 300,000,000 Beli..

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

one of my biggest problems with naruto was sakura and how utterly useless she was. she supposedly was better at control and studying and stuff than naruto but when it comes to a real fight her trump card is biting her opponent?!

meanwhile, mha has a lot of competent female heroes (including all-might's teacher)

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Fabricated posted:

In Naruto I think by the time the Chuunin exams and the fallout from those rolls around it has been something in the neighborhood of 2-3 months tops. So Naruto considers a guy who he barely knows and treated him like poo poo for about 80% of that time his "best friend". I mean, I guess he did almost die for him that one time.

To be fair a basic point of Naruto's character was that other than his teacher (which he didn't recognize until later) nobody else recognized him as anything but a failure, but Sasuke was one of the first people who gave him recognition. As such he wasn't going to 'abandon' him.

It's still an irritating basis for the majority of the manga though and it should've been done completely differently, since it was made increasingly clear that no, this is something he's doing himself and not something you can 'save' him from.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

In the case of this manga this is not only a superficial reading of his character it's also and brilliantly so, acknowledged as such in universe. Bakugou is distinctly not that sort of character who would even consider such an offer, it's both beneath and incomprehensible to him.

That chapter was the first one I read and even if it kind of ruined the setup it won me over for good.

"If you untie me, I'm going to explode your face."

"Dude don't untie him, he said he'll explode your face."

"Relax, guys, he's not going to explode anyone's face. You're not going to explode anyone's face, are you, bud- AUGH MY FACE"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It seems really short.

Sasuke was Naruto's first kiss so that's why he's so obsessed with him.

Raenir Salazar posted:

He's an even worse father but including everything else yeah, he's better than Ozai. Granted, I only made that connection in the first place because of the eye scar. Again, first read opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Oxxidation posted:

That chapter was the first one I read and even if it kind of ruined the setup it won me over for good.

"If you untie me, I'm going to explode your face."

"Dude don't untie him, he said he'll explode your face."

"Relax, guys, he's not going to explode anyone's face. You're not going to explode anyone's face, are you, bud- AUGH MY FACE"

Bakugou is cool and great.