Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

That premise is so loving 90s I'm kinda disappointed it'll never air on Fox Box between Street Sharks and Magic School Bus

To add onto that, apparently the villians of the show were created by the main Rider Emu (which is actually just pronounced "M"), who is actually a scientist of sorts (which does put a bit of a spin on the whole "born from evil" aspect of Kamen Rider). They later went out of control and he then made the belt and powers to stop them. Not sure if the other Riders were created by him as well but if so it would give things a kind of Gaim-esque feel in a way (with a little bit of Drive thrown in).

I'm still betting this will be a more light-hearted show overall though (mostly because it's very hard for me to take any of these designs seriously. Though then again, Gaim's Riders were fruit samurai and that show was basically Ryuki 2.0). That aside, Ex-Aid still looks interesting and I'm curious to see how it goes.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Can anyone point me to Overtime subs of Begins Night?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Look up "Movie War/Taisen 2010" on their tracker.

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

I'm actually looking forward to Ex-Aid now and I hope it's as fun as those costumes are goofy.

Also from a page or two back:

Serious Frolicking posted:

krim was incredibly secretive and shinnosuke had trouble trusting him because of it, but it turned out in the end that krim was 100% trustworthy. the belts were safe, the shift cars were safe, and krim never did anything wrong with regards to roidmudes.

One thing I loved about Drive was that around the time Surprise Future was being released, the series tried to hint that maybe Krim shouldn't be trusted and that Banno is not evil as he seems. And then of course Banno flies in and blasts both Shinnosuke and Gou because yes, he is that loving evil.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i really liked how surprise future followed up with how banno tampered with krim, only it turned out that it never mattered at all. everything was actually done by a lone roidmude and the evil krim future had nothing to do with krim or even the roidmude that copied him.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
In Drive almost every single lie or secret amongst the good guys works out okay in the end. It's kind of funny how that works but was actually kind of refreshing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Motto posted:

Look up "Movie War/Taisen 2010" on their tracker.

Found it.

So how/why does Double end up in the same spacetime as Decade and company at the end of that whole... situation, anyway?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

DoctorWhat posted:

Found it.

So how/why does Double end up in the same spacetime as Decade and company at the end of that whole... situation, anyway?
You're thinking about the plot of a Kamen Rider movie. This can only lead to madness.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

But Skull is so cool...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

But Skull is so cool...

Here's the rule of thumb for the crossover movies.

At least the ones with Decade.

Is Decade there? It sucks. Is Decade not there? It's good.

Ignore Decade. Ignore him forever.

His actor is awesome though

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DoctorWhat posted:

But Skull is so cool...

Someone made a Kamen Rider Skull movie by editing together all of his footage together, I'll have to see if I still have it lying around(admittedly it probably doesn't hold up all that well since I believe it used TVNihon video as it's source, and non HD video at that)

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx

DoctorWhat posted:

Found it.

someone post "decade has no story" please

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Akett fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jul 16, 2016

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
All right, I'll be the one to say it: I loving hate the way ex-aid looks. The suit looks horrid and makes me cringe.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

All right, I'll be the one to say it: I loving hate the way ex-aid looks. The suit looks horrid and makes me cringe.

I'm not a fan either
I'm not sure why not, I usually like things that look hilariously awful. They feel more unique when they aren't trying to be liked by everyone. This doesn't quite feel like that though... I think it's on me.

At the very least the rumors about the plot (video game viruses infect people, call the main rider "father") sounds hosed up like a bad dream enough to appeal to me, it's something I like about some Kamen Rider premises.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I'll reserve judgement on the show proper until I've watched at least 5 episodes, but yeah, that suit just leaves me cold. I didn't think too much of Fourze's helmet, but the characters and story were both so loving loveable that I got over it in a hurry, but for now? Holy poo poo, please be good, Ex-Aid.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
that suit looks fuckin bonkers and stupid in the best way and so does the rumored plot

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Literally The Worst posted:

that suit looks fuckin bonkers and stupid in the best way and so does the rumored plot

Yeah, but I don't think much of Power Rangers either, so, just chalk it up to different tastes.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Decade's belt talked like it came straight out of a video game and I loved it. I hope this belt just takes it all to the next level.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

So can someone explain what happened with Decade behind the scenes to make it... what it was?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Yeah, but I don't think much of Power Rangers either, so, just chalk it up to different tastes.

i mean most of power rangers is super dumb and only some of it is dumb enough to be enjoyable, and then there's RPM which is perfect

maybe you're just a hitler

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DoctorWhat posted:

So can someone explain what happened with Decade behind the scenes to make it... what it was?

If I recall properly Double was thought up first, but they ran into production issues so they had to delay it, so in need of a cheap stopgap(and to take advantage of an easy anniversary tie-in opportunity) they quickly cobbled together Decade, which is why Decade was only 30 episodes and only had a handful of new suits(and a kinda crappy effects budget even by Rider standards)

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think the EX aid suit looks ok but the helmet is awful and looks super low budget

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Don't forget the massive rewrites while the show was being made.

The final adventure of Decade advertised NEVER SAW THE LIGHT OF DAY. Not even once. I forget what the deal with that nonsense was but it was kind of amazing how the trailer for it was made up of lies and total bullshit.

Honestly this is why Ultraman Mebius is the best of the three anniversary series. Gokaiger had a similar kind of thing where it wasn't originally supposed to be as big a celebration as it, sort of, became. They didn't plan to do that many cameos and stuff, just a stand alone series with the gimmick of turning into older suits.

Mebius had its story planned from day one and never had the backscreen bullshit of Decade, or the real life tragedy of Gokaiger undermine it.

Though it also helps that the Ultra franchise isn't as big as Sentai and Rider, giving them way more breathing room to work in the cameos from the older heroes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Well if it gave Double more time in the oven then I guess Decade was worth it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oh my god...

"Spilk"

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh my god...

"Spilk"

I was willing to accept Spilk to get Finger on the Trigger karoake.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

i mean most of power rangers is super dumb and only some of it is dumb enough to be enjoyable, and then there's RPM which is perfect

maybe you're just a hitler

Maybe... though I don't feel like stuffing anyone in an oven about it, so maybe I can just be a Stroheim instead?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Ex-Aid looks like the bastard offspring of Splatoon and Kabutack as depicted with shittty CGA graphics

Thankfully how cool the Rider looks isn't usually a major factor with how good a show is. I'm not quite panicking until the key staff and cast are revealed.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Maybe... though I don't feel like stuffing anyone in an oven about it, so maybe I can just be a Stroheim instead?

Drop dead Hitler

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Drop dead Hitler

Japanese power rangers are the number 1 power rangers IN THE WORLD!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Japanese power rangers are the number 1 power rangers IN THE WORLD!!!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Meanwhile, floating above the rabble, the sophisticated toku fans who have elevated to liking both Japanese and culturally whitewashed toku so long as the stories wrapped around the men in rubber and plastic are actually good stories. Well made PR stories just make me wonder what the source material is like. Poorly made PR stories do the same, maybe even stronger. The only really sad thing is when a bad PR story is basically just a duplicate copy of new actors reading the same poo poo. (hey, Gao/WF)

My interest in Megaranger is basically, "hey, that source material looked great!" My interest in Kakuranger is, "WTF was that show supposed to be before they chopped it all away."

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 18, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
flashman 09 is up at guis

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012
I blitzed through Kamen Rider Fourze over the past week, having stopped watching at about episode 20ish where I thought it was really starting to drag. I'm glad that I decided to go back to watching it, once the Meteor secret identity storyline was finally over, I really enjoyed it. The ending felt a little bit rushed, but goddamn did Fourze just ooze charm. So now that I've actually watched the series, I'm looking at the movies. Since Fourze was my first Kamen Rider, I assume that really only the Fourze movie and the Fourze x Wizard movie would be the ones that I don't need to watch other series for?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Did batch torrents ever go up for Drive? I just started it and don't relish downloading it all one by one.

also power rangers is terrible

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

mikeycp posted:

Did batch torrents ever go up for Drive? I just started it and don't relish downloading it all one by one.

also power rangers is terrible

Ozc Live finished the BR rips and there's batches

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Eat poo poo, Weatherman!

GET loving WRECKT!!!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Ozc Live finished the BR rips and there's batches

Nothing for non-huge files though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Craptacular! posted:

Meanwhile, floating above the rabble, the sophisticated toku fans who have elevated to liking both Japanese and culturally whitewashed toku so long as the stories wrapped around the men in rubber and plastic are actually good stories. Well made PR stories just make me wonder what the source material is like. Poorly made PR stories do the same, maybe even stronger. The only really sad thing is when a bad PR story is basically just a duplicate copy of new actors reading the same poo poo. (hey, Gao/WF)

My interest in Megaranger is basically, "hey, that source material looked great!" My interest in Kakuranger is, "WTF was that show supposed to be before they chopped it all away."

I way prefer the setting to Lost Galaxy than Gingaman

• Locked thread