Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

wait people use tripmines? i thought that they're the new old sentries

Well now that you can have 14 trips and 6 breaching charges on one person, they're pretty solid.

Assuming you have someone with Meds and Ammoa already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Plus the fire they drop is really good at holding a choke point. With 14 of them you can drop them pretty liberally.

Sure sentries can do the same thing even better indefinitely but they're not as funny and they don't make me giggle like a child as cops commit suicide. Or, my personal favorite, dropping mines at a bulldozer's feet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
They're very bad at holding objectives like power boxes, just keep that in mind and keep doing what you're doing. Dropping them in chokes and on dozer's feet.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

BillmasterCozb posted:

wait people use tripmines? i thought that they're the new old sentries

They're probably the worst deployable right now. But in this brave new world, literally everything is DW-viable, so just do whatever.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
ECMs are still the worst deployable for loud missions IMO

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

John Murdock is gonna shed a single tear at yet another person dissing on ECM feedback, Cheeto. I hope you're happy.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Dr Cheeto posted:

Actually, I think you're right. They're so bad that I forgot they existed.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Psion posted:

They're very bad at holding objectives like power boxes, just keep that in mind and keep doing what you're doing. Dropping them in chokes and on dozer's feet.

It's all relative.

If there's a choke point before the box (for example, the security room power boxes in The Diamond) then you're gold.

If there is no choke, then the defense point sucks and I'm probably going to gently caress off and drop a mine in a cop spawn for fun and let my team deal with the bullshit. Because that's the very definition of teamwork.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
A trick for power boxes is that on most maps (all, I think), all enemies tasked with turning off a powerbox will take the same path- and because of pathfinding jank, the path is quite unusual. You can use that knowledge to place the C4 more effectively.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Psion posted:

John Murdock is gonna shed a single tear at yet another person dissing on ECM feedback, Cheeto. I hope you're happy.

ECM feedback deserves to be shat on, it interrupts cop domming

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

A trick for power boxes is that on most maps (all, I think), all enemies tasked with turning off a powerbox will take the same path- and because of pathfinding jank, the path is quite unusual. You can use that knowledge to place the C4 more effectively.

This may be true, but cops have a bad habit of either warping through the laser, or turning off the power while burning to death.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I thought trip mines were like turrets in that they aren't susceptible to desynched cops.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dr Cheeto posted:

I thought trip mines were like turrets in that they aren't susceptible to desynched cops.

There's also the delay between when the cop trips the mine and when it actually goes off.

It's short but it's enough for them to hit the box.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

So did I. But I've seen them do weird things with enough frequency to know that mines aren't always reliable. It might be, to some extent, that DW cops have more health and can survive explosions and flames long enough to knock out power. I really don't know.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Dr Cheeto posted:

LuciferMorningstar posted:

So did I. But I've seen them do weird things with enough frequency to know that mines aren't always reliable. It might be, to some extent, that DW cops have more health and can survive explosions and flames long enough to knock out power. I really don't know.
It's because cops turning off objectives is host-side so if you are correct that tripmine detonation is client-side then what probably happens is:
  1. Cop reaches power box on host, but not on client
  2. Cop turns off power
  3. Client position updates to cop standing by power box
  4. Tripmine goes off
E: Unless it's happening when you're the host then :iiam:

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 17, 2016

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Absolutely happens when hosting. I've seen it far too many times, where I'd c4 or molotov a powerbox, only to have it turn off, then the cop appear, then the cop die.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

Wow guys it's kind of bullshit that artists don't get money from skin sales. What are your thoughts?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
According to Kuma, this is better than anything in the Workshop. I don't know how I feel about being at the top of the trash heap, but hey.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Insert name here posted:

It's because cops turning off objectives is host-side so if you are correct that tripmine detonation is client-side then what probably happens is:
  1. Cop reaches power box on host, but not on client
  2. Cop turns off power
  3. Client position updates to cop standing by power box
  4. Tripmine goes off
E: Unless it's happening when you're the host then :iiam:

The best part is when #4 doesn't happen - so you go into a room and see a tripped power box, no cops at the box, undetonated mines in front of the box, and just what the gently caress spec outta that immediately

(this literally happened on Hoxbreak 2)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

subhuman filth posted:

Wow guys it's kind of bullshit that artists don't get money from skin sales. What are your thoughts?

No.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Skunkrocker posted:

Wow this skin system sucks the big one.

EDIT: I added a link to an imgur album above to show what I'm talking about... it's just... not optimized and lovely.

Just release that as a skin and all will be well.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKARuRzf90

I wish the Carpenter's Delight had better damage so that it wouldn't feel like i'm just smacking a cop with pudding

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

subhuman filth posted:

Go away.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Psion posted:

Man, I was off that train forever ago.

I wish you didn't have to crud up your build with stealth stuff to get all the ECM upgrades now, otherwise I'd give them one last shot.

Edit: Good enough. :unsmigghh:

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 18, 2016

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Feedback is cool and good.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Skunkrocker posted:

According to Kuma, this is better than anything in the Workshop. I don't know how I feel about being at the top of the trash heap, but hey.

You can find better skins just browsing the most recent tab of the World of Guns workshop in an instant.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

subhuman filth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e10ZPVafUA

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Man, I was off that train forever ago.

I wish you didn't have to crud up your build with stealth stuff to get all the ECM upgrades now, otherwise I'd give them one last shot.

Edit: Good enough. :unsmigghh:

You should just run up the right side of tree and ace the two middle skills. I doubt anyone would be upset that you make Insider Assets available.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There's a lot of nice stuff in the workshop, actually. These two were both posted on facepunch recently:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=725137404 (this one's still being revised)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=726409151

vvv hey, I never said they were all winners.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 18, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LuciferMorningstar posted:

You should just run up the right side of tree and ace the two middle skills. I doubt anyone would be upset that you make Insider Assets available.

Otoh I was trying to skip door unlocking because that just means fewer ECMs to use for feedback.

Edit: Now that I think about it, lockpicking speed has lost what little luster it had when anyone can bring saw. A quiet saw, even, if necessary. Whereas door unlocking at least has a few unique uses, and inside man assets are always good.

But now I won't be able to get that sweet, sweet loose cash inside the counting machine on Big Bank!!!!!

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 18, 2016

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Is this… uh… the level of quality we can expect when it comes to community created skins?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
MSPaint guns when

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There's gotta be a goon here who can give us a Johnny Five Aces revolver.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Discendo Vox posted:

There's gotta be a goon here who can give us a Johnny Five Aces revolver.

I probably could but I have no clue how to access the payday 2 gun painting even though it's probably super simple :smith:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

It's not that simple, actually, so don't worry too much about it.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.
Okay, so as I have said before skin creation is terrible, but I haven't really expanded upon that. Here are some things you should know, and I've ONLY been messing with Base Gradients so no info on Patterns yet.

First off, Overkill can't count. The actual number of pixels from the top of the image for the Specular Map, Cubemap, and Gloss is four. Not six.
Second they never explain what those three things are. I'm still not sure

EDIT: Holy poo poo I thought of a way to figure it out. This is the file I used and the only thing I changed was the top four lines of pixels. Red, green, and alpha. Either they were fully on or fully off.

Below are the results.

Nothing

Red - Reflects the skybox for the level aka cubemap.

Green - Affects the intensity of the gradient, 255 being chromatic and 0 being matte. I think. I don't really see a difference.

Alpha - Increases the glossiness.

End edit.

Now, the gradients themselves. I thought before the gradients were off, but they're not the only problem. It's just made worse by the guns.

That is the Mosconi with flat colors for each section. Notice how the wood of the stock cuts in on the metal in a weird abstract artificaty way. What's up with that?

Oh and you can just forget it when it comes to the wood/rubber/plastic/metal sections being labeled such. That's bullshit. I've seen hammers labeled cloth, cloth labeled rubber, metal labeled plastic, detail labeled metal, it's honestly a bit random.

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jul 18, 2016

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Okay nevermind I'm back on board with ECMs. Being able to lock down the entire atrium (upper floors, even) on HoxBreak Day 2 :feelsgood:

YET ANOTHER FAG
Mar 6, 2003

by R. Guyovich

John Murdoch posted:

Okay nevermind I'm back on board with ECMs. Being able to lock down the entire atrium (upper floors, even) on HoxBreak Day 2 :feelsgood:

Nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Skunkrocker posted:

That is the Mosconi with flat colors for each section. Notice how the wood of the stock cuts in on the metal in a weird abstract artificaty way. What's up with that?

It's because the Mosconi is supposed to be old, so whatever paint is on the side is supposed to have partially flaked off, I guess.