Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Stolze's Mask of the Other is pretty good.
I was a Big Fan. Keep meaning to read more Stolze but can't find the time atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

End Of Worlds posted:

adam nevill's been brought up a few times in this thread. just found out if you sign up for his newsletter you get a free ebook featuring a couple of short stories (as well as chapter excerpts)

Jesus! gently caress that dude. Very upsetting! I've been trying to read apartment whatever for months and I keep having to stop because I'm a pussy.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Ooh, didn't realize this was the House of Small Shadows guy, that book was properly scary. Subscribed!

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Peztopiary posted:

That bibliography has stories I hadn't read before, thank you.

Enjoy

Ornamented Death posted:

Stolze's Mask of the Other is pretty good.

Was not aware of this till you posted it. Thanks

-----------
Cthulhusattva: Tales of the Black Gnosis

I was alerted to this anthology by Ross Payton (goon name: clockworkjoe) of the Roleplaying Public Radio podcast series.

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/2016/06/podcast-episode/rppr-episode-129-campaign-starters-and-parters/#comments

Available at:

http://martianmigrainepress.com/Cthulhusattva

https://www.amazon.com/Cthulhusattva-Tales-Gnosis-Ruthanna-Emrys-ebook/dp/B01EVMC3D4 ($7 on Kindle)

I was primarily interested because it contained a new story by Jayaprakash Satyamurthy whom I mentioned previously.

Premise of the anthology:

quote:

When all is madness... there is no madness.

Is there wisdom in insanity? Enlightenment in blackest despair? Higher consciousness in the depths of chaos? These are the stories of the men and women who choose to cast off from the shores of our placid island of ignorance and sail the black seas of infinity beyond. Those who would dive into primeval consciousness in search of dark treasures. Thos who would risk the Deadly Light for one reason: it is still light.

Table of Contents

quote:

The Pearl in the Shadows — Bryan Thao Worra
Keys in Stranger Deserts — Vrai Kaiser
Mr Johnson and the Old Ones — Jamie Mason
Antinomia — Erica Ruppert
Heiros Gamos — Gord Sellar
Mother’s Nature — Stefanie Elrick
At the Left Hand of Nothing — Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
The Litany of Earth — Ruthanna Emrys
Emperor Eternal — Konstantine Paradias
The Wicked Shall Come Upon Him — Kristi DeMeester
Messages — John Linwood Grant
That Most Foreign of Veils — Luke R J Maynard
We Three Kings — Don Raymond
Feeding the Abyss — Rhoads Brazos
After Randolph Carter — Noah Wareness

Is it good...

Not finished with the whole book.

Blitz thoughts:

The Pearl in the Shadows — Bryan Thao Worra -- Page of irrelevant poetry
Keys in Stranger Deserts — Vrai Kaiser -- Campy story with all the mythos references thrown in for idiots. Gag me with a spoon.
Mr Johnson and the Old Ones — Jamie Mason -- Got bored of word salad. Have to come back to.
Antinomia — Erica Ruppert - post cthulhu apocalypse. Boring story.
Heiros Gamos — Gord Sellar -- The main character is violated by Shubby. I was violated by boredom.
Mother’s Nature — Stefanie Elrick -- I'm on the fence on this one. Personally I think the over use of body horror is loving dumb. I was not impressed but some may like it.
At the Left Hand of Nothing — Jayaprakash Satyamurthy - I wish I could say I like it but unfortunately it is way too short. Try his other works.
The Litany of Earth — Ruthanna Emrys - Yes. Interesting thought experiment. What if worshipers of Cthulhu were treated like the Japanese and thrown into American interment camps? Thought the story could be better but the premise is really quite unique and I'd love to see further stories written in this world by the author.
The Wicked Shall Come Upon Him — Kristi DeMeester -- post cthulhu apocalypse. not a very good story. not much happens.
Messages — John Linwood Grant -- Yes. I liked it. Maybe I was searching too hard for something good to say about a story in this anthology but I think it delivers on it's novel interpretation of the mythos well. Also like all good short stories the last line has punch. Nicely done.
That Most Foreign of Veils — Luke R J Maynard - Yes. Genuinely creepy and I think one of the better stories that embody the idea that the Mythos is "Dark Gnosis." I feel the writing/story could be improved and maybe the ending needs a little work, but a solid story.
We Three Kings — Don Raymond - Jesus as a Cthulhu is an obvious idea. I wasn't too impressed by the premise but the story was moderately entertaining if short.

--------------

Artist who made illustrations inspired by Ligotti's Teatro Grottesco. Also does Lovecraftian pieces.

http://mcrassusart.deviantart.com/

The Red Tower

The Town Manager

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jul 15, 2016

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I imagined the Red Tower more like an ominous landscape dominating arcology; maybe not accurate but just the feel the description gave me, more than the specifics.

And the places in Town Manager I just imagined as unremarkable real world small towns.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
"The Litany of Earth" is one of my favorite short stories (novelettes, whatever) from the last few years. Glad to see it here.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Solitair posted:

"The Litany of Earth" is one of my favorite short stories (novelettes, whatever) from the last few years. Glad to see it here.

where did you hear about it originally?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've never heard of the guy but "Noah Wareness" is a pretty great nom de plume.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Helical Nightmares posted:

where did you hear about it originally?

I read a few blog posts detailing how some people were turning against Lovecraft because of his racism, and IIRC "Litany" was brought up in one of them as a subversion of the Cthulhu mythos in light of how people's attitudes to race have changed in the decades since Lovecraft was alive.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

"Litany" is great and available online.

http://www.tor.com/2014/05/14/the-litany-of-earth-ruthanna-emrys/

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Solitair posted:

I read a few blog posts detailing how some people were turning against Lovecraft because of his racism, and IIRC "Litany" was brought up in one of them as a subversion of the Cthulhu mythos in light of how people's attitudes to race have changed in the decades since Lovecraft was alive.

Having it star the Deep Ones is a particularly good pick. They've always been one of his more accidentally sympathetic races.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Nice catch

--------------

anilEhilated posted:

I've never heard of the guy but "Noah Wareness" is a pretty great nom de plume.

:stare: :gary:

--------------

Another blitz review

Lovecraft Unbound 20 story anthology edited by Ellen Datlow

Tales inspired by the works of HPL

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013F8P3CS/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

$9 on Kindle

ToC : http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/2009/04/toc_lovecraft_unbound_edited_by_ellen_datlow/

quote:

“The Crevasse” by Dale Bailey and Nathan Ballingrud
“The Office of Doom” by Richard Bowes
“Sincerely, Petrified” by Anna Tambour
“The Din of Celestial Birds” by Brian Evenson
“The Tenderness of Jackals” by Amanda Downum
“Sight Unseen” by Joel Lane
“Cold Water Survival” by Holly Phillips
“Come Lurk with Me and Be My Love” by William Browning Spencer
“Houses Under the Sea” by Caitlín R. Kiernan
“Machines of Concrete Light and Dark” by Michael Cisco
“Leng” by Marc Laidlaw
“In the Black Mill” by Michael Chabon
“One Day, Soon” by Lavie Tidhar
“Commencement” by Joyce Carol Oates
“Vernon, Driving” by Simon Kurt Unsworth
“The Recruiter” by Michael Shea
“Marya Nox” by Gemma Files
“Mongoose” by Sarah Monette & Elizabeth Bear
“Catch Hell” by Laird Barron
“That of Which We Speak When We Speak of the Unspeakable” by Nick Mamatas

My opinions below. Haven't finished the whole book.

“The Crevasse” by Dale Bailey and Nathan Ballingrud -- too short. could be developed further. entertaining though.
“The Office of Doom” by Richard Bowes -- the author literally says "Thinking about it, I have no idea why I chose to write a story for Lovecraft Unbound". It loving shows. Crap.
“Sincerely, Petrified” by Anna Tambour -- Very good. Not what Lovecraft fans would expect in that there are no aliens or manifested horrors. What puts in firmly in cosmic horror is that two human beings with the best of intentions stumble across what appears to be an unknowable cosmic force. An epistolary tale.
“The Din of Celestial Birds” by Brian Evenson -- Short but good. Prose is hallucinogenic at times. A solid mythos story that does not use recognizeable HPL creations, ie a New Mythos story.
“The Tenderness of Jackals” by Amanda Downum -- predictable. dumb

“Sight Unseen” by Joel Lane
“Cold Water Survival” by Holly Phillips
“Come Lurk with Me and Be My Love” by William Browning Spencer

“Houses Under the Sea” by Caitlín R. Kiernan -- Very good. Deep Ones done right.
“Machines of Concrete Light and Dark” by Michael Cisco -- No. Word salad with barely there disjointed plot.
“Leng” by Marc Laidlaw -- Very good. My only quibble is that the theme of fungus is hammered early and often; however the protagonist is an obsessive academic so it does fit.
“In the Black Mill” by Michael Chabon -- Honestly I was not impressed. Seemed too predictable. Foreshadowing was heavy handed.
“One Day, Soon” by Lavie Tidhar -- Too short but sort of interesting. Not really a Lovecraftian story.

“Commencement” by Joyce Carol Oates
“Vernon, Driving” by Simon Kurt Unsworth
“The Recruiter” by Michael Shea
“Marya Nox” by Gemma Files

“Mongoose” by Sarah Monette & Elizabeth Bear - A scifi thriller. Feels like Lovecraftian references were just dropped in so it could be included in the anthology. However I really did enjoy the story on it's own merits. Vivid and unique world.
“Catch Hell” by Laird Barron -- Good. Published elsewhere.

“That of Which We Speak When We Speak of the Unspeakable” by Nick Mamatas

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jul 18, 2016

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lovecraft-themed anthologies are almost always uneven in story quality (the only really good one I can think of is The Book of Cthulhu, though the first Black Wings is also a contender from what I recall). When I read Lovecraft Unbound, what struck me most was that looking at the authors included was basically reading a greatest hits list from Datlow's last 20 years of editing "Year's Best" anthologies.

Actually that tends to be a problem with any invitation-only anthology: even if the author submits a bad story, the editor is probably obligated (in some way) to include it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Thank you for the link, this story is relevant to my interests

(Username/avatar/post combo)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pththya-lyi posted:

Thank you for the link, this story is relevant to my interests

(Username/avatar/post combo)

:same:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Interface Series is over, and I'm disappointed.

There's so much good stuff there, but so much of it is unexplored and abandoned. And then there's a purposely vague ending.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

So apparently, Thomas Ligotti wrote a script for the X-files.

It's like Mulder and Scully going through Cosmic Horror 101.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
sex

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Zartosht posted:

That was awesome. I wish they'd made that.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Laird Barron has a new collection out later this year.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Zartosht posted:

That was quite good. I've tried reading Ligotti (mostly his early stuff) and it didn't click--if I liked that screenplay, are there any collections/writing periods of his that are similar?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, I liked that as well.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Clipperton posted:

That was quite good. I've tried reading Ligotti (mostly his early stuff) and it didn't click--if I liked that screenplay, are there any collections/writing periods of his that are similar?

I very much liked the stories in Teattro Grottesco, and I'd say that they're similar.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Clipperton posted:

I was struggling to get into Ligotti as well but I read My Work is Not Yet Done (the collection, not just the story itself) and it was loving good as hell and got me to devour all his other poo poo, so if you haven't tried that I highly recommend.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

:toot: I'm looking forwards to being disappointed. :(

Found some online resources.

Index of free Laird Barron stories online:

http://www.freesfonline.de/authors/Laird_Barron.html

Thomas Ligotti bibliography:

http://www.ligotti.net/tlo/biblio.html

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Skyscraper posted:

I very much liked the stories in Teattro Grottesco, and I'd say that they're similar.

hopterque posted:

I was struggling to get into Ligotti as well but I read My Work is Not Yet Done (the collection, not just the story itself) and it was loving good as hell and got me to devour all his other poo poo, so if you haven't tried that I highly recommend.

Will check them out, thanks!

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Zartosht posted:

That was great. It took me 45ish minutes to read the entire thing, which is exactly how long an X-Files episode would have been without commercials. Neat.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

End Of Worlds posted:

If you guys haven't read Nathan Ballingrud's North American Lake Monsters you are grievously loving up. Poignant and weird, and only one of the stories is actually about a lake monster.

I got this book ages ago after I read this post and finally got around to reading it and holy poo poo is it just a loving sledgehammer of just incredibly depressing, weird poo poo.

I can't really describe it as cosmic horror, and it's not mythos related, and there's very little related to actual monsters or anything despite the title, it's just weird stories about people going through some real hard times.

I highly recommend it.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 19, 2016

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
For anyone wanting to read the Flesh Interfaces stuff: https://www.reddit.com/r/9M9H9E9/wiki/narrative

I won't be surprised if this turns out to be some published author's way of doing something like House of Leaves. But, it's pretty cool even though it might be publisher astroturfing.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i bought an old used copy of midnight sun online from britain and even though it wasn't advertised, it's been signed by ramsay campbell :3:

unfortunately the book didn't really do it for me but if there are any like campbell super-fans itt let me know if you want it and i can mail it to you in return for an unban cert or something to cover postage cost

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is there no general horror book thread or did this thread devour it in its unquenchable world consuming hunger?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is there no general horror book thread or did this thread devour it in its unquenchable world consuming hunger?

When I started this thread, there was a Stephen King one, but not much else. This has sort of become the de-facto horror book thread.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Cosmic horror and weird fiction covers just about all the horror stuff worth reading anyway, imo.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

hopterque posted:

Cosmic horror and weird fiction covers just about all the horror stuff worth reading anyway, imo.

Nah, there are some writers doing interesting stuff with more traditional subgenres.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ornamented Death posted:

Nah, there are some writers doing interesting stuff with more traditional subgenres.

Tell us about them!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Skyscraper posted:

Tell us about them!

I will when I'm not phone posting :v:

Ok, back at a real computer now.

Greg Gifune writes stories that are trippy as hell. His latest, Babylon Terminal takes place in a dream world; it's really hard to explain without spoiling major plot points, but it's a wild ride. A lot of his novels have settings similar to this, where the world as presented isn't what it seems. Going slightly older, his Lords of Twilight novella is about an alien encounter, and Apartment Seven...well I can't really tell you what it's about without spoiling it, but it is not cosmic or weird horror.

Adam Cesare writes books that capture that 80s horror vibe. Tribesmen is a kind of ghost story meets cannibal encounter novella and is the right kind of crazy. Zero Lives Remaining is about a ghost that haunts an arcade and what happens when it goes evil.

Michael McBride mostly writes various sorts of monster stories. They're all fun, if somewhat predictable at times. Tim Curran often falls into this category as well (though he writes a fair number of cosmic horror stories).

The most recent winner of the Bram Stoker award for best novel, Paul Tremblay's A Head Full of Ghosts is neither cosmic nor weird, and is loving amazing.

Bryan Smith managed to squeeze a good tale out of the zombie apocalypse in Slowly We Rot, though to be fair, he did so by making the zombies part of the setting more than active antagonists.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jul 22, 2016

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Everyone should go out and get Michael Wehunt's Greener Pastures The titular story, about a trucker who hears weird poo poo on his radio is really creepy.

e: Adam Cesare has a new book in Kindle Scout right now called Con Season that looks good.

ravenkult fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jul 22, 2016

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

If there's an interest, I could poke one of the Book Barn mods to change the thread title to something more along the lines of general horror, see if we can't get more life in here. Or I could start a general horror thread. But I feel like that would only lead to two less-active threads.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Title change is probably the best option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Non-cosmic horror:
I just finished reading The Unquiet House by Allison Littlewood. It's a pretty drat good ghost story. The story is set in and around Mire House, a drab and dreary house in rural Yorkshire. The protagonist is a woman called Emma who recently lost her parents and is feeling pretty lost and lonely when she inherits Mire House from a distant relative she never really knew. She immediately falls in love with the house despite it being isolated and in extreme disrepair and decides to move in. This being a ghost story she of course soon finds out that she is not quite alone in the house.

It's a pretty basic set-up but it's very well executed. Although Mire House isn't really a monster in itself in the same sense that the Overlook Hotel or Hill House it has this strange presence throughout the book casting its shadow even on the chapters set outside it. It's a pretty slow burn, it is very creepy and atmospheric and there is this constantly building sense of impending doom in each part where it becomes constantly more apparent that something horrible is about to happen to the characters.