Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Bakugou is mad loving calm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

On reflection I really like that Bakugou actually did put in quite a bit of thought into that encounter and was studying his options; you could read between the lines and see that he kinda knew he was in a bad situation and trying to make the most of it.

Comic posted:

Not disagreeing at all really, they're put into similar situations but react very very differently. It's why Sasuke isn't a fun character and Bakugou is.

I think a huge difference is that the author of Naruto seems to consistently writes Sasuke completely seriously with little humour 99% of the time, while except for the beginning where Bakugou was written as an antagonistic obstacle for Deku to overcome as his first challenge, upon entering the academy Bakugou's "threat" has been humourously undermined nearly the entire time. The best scene that exemplifies this was when he was like, "BACTERIA MUTHERFUCKING DIE!" when he was angrily brushing his teeth.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 18, 2016

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bakugou has a ridiculous temper that gets the best of him almost all the time, but when he actually bothers to think he is very intelligent.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Raenir Salazar posted:

On reflection I really like that Bakugou actually did put in quite a bit of thought into that encounter and was studying his options; you could read between the lines and see that he kinda knew he was in a bad situation and trying to make the most of it.

I think a huge difference is that the author of Naruto seems to consistently writes Sasuke completely seriously with little humour 99% of the time, while except for the beginning where Bakugou was written as an antagonistic obstacle for Deku to overcome as his first challenge, upon entering the academy Bakugou's "threat" has been humourously undermined nearly the entire time. The best scene that exemplifies this was when he was like, "BACTERIA MUTHERFUCKING DIE!" when he was angrily brushing his teeth.
The biggest thing that made Bakugou tolerable is how completely unimpressed with his poo poo everyone at UA is. He was actually a big fish in a small pond- In Naruto everyone thought Sasuke was cool as hell and were issuing challenges and declarations of love to him.

Bakugou rolls into UA and his poo poo was met with a collective :jerkbag:- Aizawa told him to cut his poo poo out, the other students in class found him mostly repugnant.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Also, there's the fire and ice kid, who is actually the cool super genius with a tragic past. Bakugo is the loud mouthed idiot with a huge well of power, which is usually the role of the protagonist rather than the rival. Deku gets to be the geeky analytical one, which you don't see in shounen protagonists very often.

It's very cool how this manga plays with which archetypes serve what story roles.

Wittgen fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 18, 2016

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Sasuke was Naruto's first kiss so that's why he's so obsessed with him.

He's an even worse father but including everything else yeah, he's better than Ozai. Granted, I only made that connection in the first place because of the eye scar. Again, first read opinions.

Being better then a genocidal maniac is hardly a high bar to beat.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I love how Todoroki basically went through Zuko's entire character arc in like 10 chapters. That was really the thing that impressed me most about this manga early on, it was still very effective storytelling but it didn't waste any time at all.

And then Todoroki didn't disappear or die tragically or anything, he's just another one of Deku's friends. The way this series handles a large cast is so refreshing after years of Naruto and Bleach.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I mean there are some fairly substantial differences, Zuko wanted Ozai's approval before deciding Ozai wasn't someone worth getting it from; Todoroki is the opposite and skirts as close to disowning his father as he can.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, i seriously thought the zuko comparison was a joke. the only similarity they share is burn scars, so i thought it was a pretty good joke too. todoroki's motivation was never to gain anyone's approval. he wanted to spite his father so much that it was holding him back, both as a hero and as a person. his big epiphany was about learning how to like himself.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Serious Frolicking posted:

uh, i seriously thought the zuko comparison was a joke. the only similarity they share is burn scars, so i thought it was a pretty good joke too. todoroki's motivation was never to gain anyone's approval. he wanted to spite his father so much that it was holding him back, both as a hero and as a person. his big epiphany was about learning how to like himself.

Eh, arguably the "Learning how to like yourself" thing is a theme of Zuko's character development as well.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Hunt11 posted:

Fire dads just suck all around. Unless they're dragons.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gyges posted:

Igneel...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Well, I just mean comparing them both as parents first, because if you compare them completely then obvious Ozai is far worse but I dunno, it's kinda a tough call. Those training beatings Endeavor gave his son seemed a bit much and they were obviously constant and not a one time thing. But then again with Ozai you've got the burning and the constant belittlement and whatever happened it was that with his wife too.

Gyges posted:

Iroh decided to be better eventually... After his son died. :sigh:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

To be clear the Zuko thing is mostly a joke, because it is funny that he has fire powers, an awful dad, and a burn scar in the exact same place. And the "same arc" is just him getting over his angst over his dad, basically. Todoroki had it easy and just solved it by someone shouting at him because this is still a shonen manga after all :v:

I just hope Horikoshi doesn't run into the problem with him that Araki (the JoJo guy) had with Avdol and other people with extremely powerful stands. They never really got direct fights or constantly got injured or just kinda weren't around when anything important is happening. So far it's been pretty well, it helps that he's not part of a small tight-nit group of protagonists, so it doesn't feel like a copout when he's not around to instantly defeat that muscle guy that Deku fought.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Well, I just mean comparing them both as parents first, because if you compare them completely then obvious Ozai is far worse but I dunno, it's kinda a tough call. Those training beatings Endeavor gave his son seemed a bit much and they were obviously constant and not a one time thing. But then again with Ozai you've got the burning and the constant belittlement and whatever happened it was that with his wife too.

The thing is Endeavor at least seems to take some pride in his son and in a really twisted and hosed up way wants him to succeed. Ozai at best saw Zuko as a tool and was more then willing to sacrifice him to get what he wanted.

I thought Iroh was always at least an okay dad.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

RareAcumen posted:

:qq:Brave soldier boy... :qq:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Begemot posted:

To be clear the Zuko thing is mostly a joke, because it is funny that he has fire powers, an awful dad, and a burn scar in the exact same place. And the "same arc" is just him getting over his angst over his dad, basically. Todoroki had it easy and just solved it by someone shouting at him because this is still a shonen manga after all :v:

Yeah, it was mostly the same here, because I have the literary insight of a child- I see things and then I compare them to other things superficially- because I'm unlearned southern spawn of a North Carolinian and Alaskan education. I see a big blotchy scar on someone's face and go 'Zuko! :downs: ' like I'm looking at shapes in clouds.

Really, I don't really examine things much further than on a surface level most of the time because I'm not that intelligent. :v:

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Wittgen posted:

Also, there's the fire and ice kid, who is actually the cool super genius with a tragic past. Bakugo is the loud mouthed idiot with a huge well of power, which is usually the role of the protagonist rather than the rival. Deku gets to be the geeky analytical one, which you don't see in shounen protagonists very often.

It's very cool how this manga plays with which archetypes serve what story roles.

So what you're saying is... Deku is the Sakura? :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh, that actually works pretty well once you strip out kishi's insistence on female characters being useless

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Not to continue the Avatar derail but Iroh was never a bad dad or bad person. He just lost all ambition for power or anything, really, after his son died.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Eej posted:

Not to continue the Avatar derail but Iroh was never a bad dad or bad person. He just lost all ambition for power or anything, really, after his son died.

If he was a truly good dad his son wouldn't have died.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

If he was a truly good dad his son wouldn't have died.

Wow. So parents of soldiers who died at war are all bad parents?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, it was mostly the same here, because I have the literary insight of a child- I see things and then I compare them to other things superficially- because I'm unlearned southern spawn of a North Carolinian and Alaskan education. I see a big blotchy scar on someone's face and go 'Zuko! :downs: ' like I'm looking at shapes in clouds.

Really, I don't really examine things much further than on a surface level most of the time because I'm not that intelligent. :v:

I deeply apologize for daring to make a joke. Never shall I make the same mistake again on these, the something awful dot com forums.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wittgen posted:

I don't think Zep was being entirely serious.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I should never have brought dads into the equation.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wittgen posted:

Parents shouldn't wage wars that their children's asses can't cash.

Terper posted:

I don't think Zep was being entirely serious.

I am always serious.

Think of me as the Shoji of this thread.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Begemot posted:

I just hope Horikoshi doesn't run into the problem with him that Araki (the JoJo guy) had with Avdol and other people with extremely powerful stands. They never really got direct fights or constantly got injured or just kinda weren't around when anything important is happening. So far it's been pretty well, it helps that he's not part of a small tight-nit group of protagonists, so it doesn't feel like a copout when he's not around to instantly defeat that muscle guy that Deku fought.

Eh, don't think that will be a problem. Todoroki is a monster, but he's a rookie monster in a world of highly experienced monsters. He's far from an 'I win' button in a world with characters like Black Mist, Muscular, Aizawa, and ao on.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
His Quirk is real good, but he's in a class with people who have Quirks like "explode everything" and "create anything" and the main character has literally the strongest Quirk in the series.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah, but can Deku beat Goku?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Begemot posted:

Midoriya and Banquet of Darkness Level Tokoyami are probably the only students at the camp who could've probably taken Muscular one on one. I could see Todoroki getting completely wrecked by muscular.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rohan Kishibe posted:

His Quirk is real good, but he's in a class with people who have Quirks like "explode everything" and "create anything" and the main character has literally the strongest Quirk in the series.

Yeah, but Todoroki has two girls swooning over his looks and one swooning over his skills, whereas Midoriya only has Ochako crushing on him, so Todoroki wins at life.

Then again, Sugar has all the girls literally drooling for (the cakes baked by) him, so he wins even harder.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Fabricated posted:

Midoriya and Banquet of Darkness Level Tokoyami are probably the only students at the camp who could've probably taken Muscular one on one. I could see Todoroki getting completely wrecked by muscular.

Todoroki pulling out all the stops and utilizing the full breadth of his powers is probably capable of beating almost anyone. The problem he has is that it's likely really hard to modulate his powers to stop someone as strong and dangerous as muscle dude without kicking the power level up to "whoops I loving killed him by burning him to death/asphyxiating/necrotizing him in a gigantic block of ice, this is incredibly awkward".

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

JosephWongKS posted:

Yeah, but Todoroki has two girls swooning over his looks and one swooning over his skills, whereas Midoriya only has Ochako crushing on him, so Todoroki wins at life.

Then again, Sugar has all the girls literally drooling for (the cakes baked by) him, so he wins even harder.

None of those three girls are Tsuru, who ties with Ochako for best girl. :confused:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Serious Frolicking posted:

bakugou has a ridiculous temper that gets the best of him almost all the time, but when he actually bothers to think he is very intelligent.

That's not the way I've read him at all. I don't think there is an example of bakugou losing his temper to his detriment. He lost the hero/villain exercise that all might did because of pride, and he's shown that he is still fairly methodical while raging so I think rage is just his natural state and it doesn't blind him much because of it.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Last Celebration posted:

None of those three girls are Tsuru, who ties with Ochako for best girl. :confused:

Tsuyu is co-best girl, agreed. The other best girl is clearly Mina, though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Condiv posted:

That's not the way I've read him at all. I don't think there is an example of bakugou losing his temper to his detriment. He lost the hero/villain exercise that all might did because of pride, and he's shown that he is still fairly methodical while raging so I think rage is just his natural state and it doesn't blind him much because of it.

Same. Bakugou's hotheaded but he's almost always very calculating under all the rage.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Man, I dunno about you guys, but I love the principal's tennis shoes. The rat's got neat shoes!! :3:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Same. Bakugou's hotheaded but he's almost always very calculating under all the rage.

Yeah, it's pretty telling to his actual intellect that he was something like the fourth or fifth highest scoring in the written exam they all did.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if bakugou is sasuke then obviously deku is naruto and that means todoroki completes the love triangle as sakura

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, it's pretty telling to his actual intellect that he was something like the fourth or fifth highest scoring in the written exam they all did.

Also the fact that whereas pretty much everyone else, including Deku, tends to stick with the exact same techniques, just getting better at them, Bakugou develops new and terrifying ways to kick rear end all the time.

When he fought Deku in the battle trial, he used his explosions to make a smoke screen to leap above Deku and hit him from behind.

Against Uraraka he used his explosions to keep her from getting close at all.

He beat Tokoyami with a flashbang version of his explosions.

Like, while he has a quirk where the obvious use of it is to blow up his enemies, he's got a remarkable amount of planning in terms of how to use the ability for other things than blowing up enemies. (mobility, zoning, blinding)