Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Torb's turret does something like 48 DPS which is insanely low in a game where Lucio's gun can be said to be kind of crappy shooting something like 64 DPS. It does less damage than Winston's Tesla cannon, a weapon explicitly meant to not be super punchy but more of a harassment cone-of-effect thing. Pretty much the only thing the turret has going for it is responsiveness and accuracy because it can easily be peek-fired into nothing by like half the characters in the game played even semi-competently, and if it had a time-delayed target acquisition it would be even easier to render ineffective than it already can be. As many jokes as there are surrounding it, good Torb players aren't actually just jerking off in a corner the whole time unless the team they're playing against is kind of on the bad side, they're out there using their gun to good effect and tossing armor packs all over while their turret covers some other part of the map.

A lot of people arguing that Torb's turret needs nerfs seem to be coming at it from the perspective of "well TF2 turrets had lock on time and it was fine" but TF2 sentries also did something like 130 DPS in a game where the beefiest characters had 300 hitpoints, so if they had perfect responsiveness it would get pretty ludicrous. Even gimmick Torb stacking comps aren't really that difficult to counteract. Ultimately teams of random folks falling apart against 3+ Torbjorns on PC is more of an indictment of disorganization and lack of teamwork than Torb being some unstoppable menace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

That's what makes it annoying. You can't rely on your team mates to do anything effectively so you are gonna have to swap and take it out before they feed him a molten core. It is so nice for zarya charge building though so you can carry them with that instead of whatever plan you had to carry them before.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What's really insane are the people claiming they preferred fighting TF2 turrets to Torb's turret. I can only assume they played TF2 so long ago they've forgotten what it was like.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jul 18, 2016

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Its been said before, but Torbs turret is really only meant to be a distraction. The only one it can really threaten is Tracer. Ideally, you'd set it up so that it shoots the enemy in the back while you shoot them in the front to maximix disorientation.

A lot of people treat them like Engies sentries when theyre more like minisentries.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
It makes me mad when people ask for the console turret lock on delay to be added to the PC version.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

flashman posted:

That's what makes it annoying. You can't rely on your team mates to do anything effectively so you are gonna have to swap and take it out before they feed him a molten core. It is so nice for zarya charge building though so you can carry them with that instead of whatever plan you had to carry them before.

I mean fundamentally this is going to be an issue in any multiplayer game where you play with strangers. Torb isn't the only hero that can poo poo on a disorganized group if they don't know what they're doing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Was discussed a few pages ago. Some guy made it to rank 80 just playing Torbjorn because the rank point algorithm cares about raw numbers and nobody puts out useless no-context raw numbers like Torbjorn. So even though his win rate is garbage much lower than peers at the same rank and he mostly just sits there rebuilding his turret again and again, every time he wins he gains more rank points than his peers and every time he loses, he loses fewer rank points than his peers.

Reddit is mistaking this for "wow offensive Torbjorn must be really good."

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 18, 2016

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Torb really feels like the kind of hero that only works well when you're already winning. If you're in an evenly matched game, he's just going to have his turret blown up instantly, over and over again, and then run around getting farmed by everyone all the time forever.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Gonkish posted:

Torb really feels like the kind of hero that only works well when you're already winning. If you're in an evenly matched game, he's just going to have his turret blown up instantly, over and over again, and then run around getting farmed by everyone all the time forever.

Yeah as an attacker, he's the definition of "winmore."

I do think he's on to something about molten core on the attack though. Its chief counterplay is running away and if you're taking a capture point that's not nearly as much an option. From what I saw it looked really strong on two-point capture maps but since you have to win more than two fights in the other game modes, he's not as impressive on koth and payload.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, people advised me to kill the turrets as Zarya with the grenades instead of using the beam, and this turned out to be 100% correct. What am I supposed to do as Zenyatta, though, if I don't have time and safety to play charging peek-a-boo?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, people advised me to kill the turrets as Zarya with the grenades instead of using the beam, and this turned out to be 100% correct. What am I supposed to do as Zenyatta, though, if I don't have time and safety to play charging peek-a-boo?

Left click at the turret while literally any team mate is in front of you with a Harmony orb on. Zen will kill a level 2 turret in like 4 seconds. While that's enough time for the turret to also kill/almost kill Zenyatta by itself, an ally with a Harmony orb is almost immune to turret damage, they roughly cancel each other out.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Zarya talk:

A few days ago there was a weird match we had when there was 5 Zaryas and a Lucio playing against us.

Me and Roadhog did work on them and I crowned myself Queen of the Zaryas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jc8P_a2lTg

If you've got photosensitive epilepsy I'd probably advise not watching this video.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Was discussed a few pages ago. Some guy made it to rank 80 just playing Torbjorn because the rank point algorithm cares about raw numbers and nobody puts out useless no-context raw numbers like Torbjorn. So even though his win rate is garbage much lower than peers at the same rank and he mostly just sits there rebuilding his turret again and again, every time he wins he gains more rank points than his peers and every time he loses, he loses fewer rank points than his peers.

Reddit is also absolutely full of people pissed about how good Torb's turrets are based on a gif of a Pharah with all of 4 hitpoints being sniped by one, therefore they need tracking delay and blindspots and spinup. I get that slagging on Reddit is pretty bandwagony but dang it is just like a constant refrain over there of "[UNDERPERFORMING HERO] needs to be nerfed!"

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So when does the update come out on live servers?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

They're still doing some testing. I'd guess the 26th offhandedly, but it could be as soon as this Tuesday if they think everything's ready to go.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

icantfindaname posted:

ANA DAY NOW :buddy:

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Drop into a quick play game, everyone is screaming about Lucio and everyone else on my team is Lucio. Most of the people yelling about it are on the enemy team, so I assume this is supposed to be an all Lucio game. So I pick Mei. :allears:

Also I'd like to note that even though we lost, my team never swapped off of our initial choices of mei and 5 lucios while the enemy team defending swapped to a bastion, s76, and another mei, all while calling me an rear end in a top hat and the fun police and demanding everyone report me. :allears:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

icantfindaname posted:

We don't know yet. Almost certainly not this week (at least, Tuesday this week), probably next week, maybe the week after at the latest.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
A big WoW patch is dropping on Tuesday, which I suspect makes an Overwatch patch less likely.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Probably not this Tuesday as they're dropping the legion prepatch and they don't typically update content on multiple games on the same day.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kai Tave posted:

Reddit is also absolutely full of people pissed about how good Torb's turrets are based on a gif of a Pharah with all of 4 hitpoints being sniped by one, therefore they need tracking delay and blindspots and spinup. I get that slagging on Reddit is pretty bandwagony but dang it is just like a constant refrain over there of "[UNDERPERFORMING HERO] needs to be nerfed!"

Give torbjorn's turrets all of these things. Not because he needs nerfed but because turret heroes are garbage and we should stop encouraging people to lean on these crutches

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
The Overwatch devs were also saying they wanted some more testing after they made the last set of changes on the PTR.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

So, earlier in the thread I asked for some Reinhardt advise and been playing him more lately and I think he's starting to click for me. Once you learn how to aim your flamestrike, it makes a great opener for another Rein, or for convincing squishier characters to go away. Hammering is very powerful, but risky since it leaves you open to getting focused down. I need to work on aiming my charge, but I had some good plays tonight where I managed to snag their Mercy.

FatSamurai
Jul 7, 2004

Seethe, ye rolling clouds, gather thy stormborn might, and SMITE MINE ENEMY WITH THY UNFETTERED FURY!!!

Canemacar posted:

So, earlier in the thread I asked for some Reinhardt advise and been playing him more lately and I think he's starting to click for me. Once you learn how to aim your flamestrike, it makes a great opener for another Rein, or for convincing squishier characters to go away. Hammering is very powerful, but risky since it leaves you open to getting focused down. I need to work on aiming my charge, but I had some good plays tonight where I managed to snag their Mercy.

I know this probably isn't true but from the perspective of someone who doesn't really play Rein but is often the target of charges, I don't see where "aiming" comes into play. It seems to have a pretty good space it can just suck you in from, and I feel like I get teleported to the tip of his charge more often than I get brushed aside. I don't suppose anyone knows what the exact mechanics on that are, or what the hitbox shape is like? It gets frustrating not knowing or being able to avoid it properly.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

And this is why you shouldn't track MMR based on anything but the opponent's MMR and whether you won or lost.

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The evidence for this theory is pretty weak. Take this comparison for example

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Torbj%C3%B6rn-11130 & https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/career/pc/us/Torbj%C3%B6rn-11130#competitive-play
vs
http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Calvin-1337 & https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/career/pc/us/Calvin-1337#competitive-play

Same rank, but Calvin has the advantage in KDR (4.81 vs 3.72) and Blizzard's Damage per Game (Damage per Minute would be preferable, but I consider Master Overwatch's DPM stat to be less trustworthy.)

For your theory to be indisputably correct, Calvin ought to have a higher rank because his raw numbers are straight up better on top of a considerable win rate advantage (79.1% vs 62.1%).

The more likely cause for large win rate discrepancies among the top ranks is premade groups. If you play in larger groups with stronger players, you'll rarely be the underdog and the quality of your wins will be lower. As a result, you'd need a higher overall win rate to hit the same rank as someone playing in less obviously dominant groups.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Okay but then we're left with "how does a guy who pops Molten Core in a 1v1 against Mercy and still dies to her make it to rank 80"

His play borders on non-participation. Like I'm totally willing to accept I could be wrong but we've got no satisfactory explanation for what we're seeing without it

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 18, 2016

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Okay but then we're left with "how does a guy who pops Molten Core in a 1v1 against Mercy and still dies to her make it to rank 80"

His play borders on non-participation. Like I'm totally willing to accept I could be wrong but we've got no satisfactory explanation for what we're seeing without it

Sheer variance of play over hundreds of hours of footage?

Note that I'm not claiming that nothing fishy is going on, just that looking at win rate alone can be really deceptive. For instance, if Blizzard looks at Damage Done relative to teammates, then maybe Torb the hero is extremely good at outperforming mediocre groups, which gives Torb the player a rank advantage over people who play together in stronger groups or people play characters in similar groups with a larger impact on average but a less consistent statistical performance. But of course that's extremely speculative and impossible to prove given the limited information we have available.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Give torbjorn's turrets all of these things. Not because he needs nerfed but because turret heroes are garbage and we should stop encouraging people to lean on these crutches

Actually Torb's turrets should be buffed because I enjoy people getting really mad about being unable to outplay a stationary object.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I won a defence yesterday as part of a team of six Torbjorns, it was pretty funny. More armour packs than the eye could see.

(PC, for reference)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I continue to be mystified by people that get tons of eliminations as Dva. Whenever I try her I feel like I'm firing nerf darts.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

FatSamurai posted:

I know this probably isn't true but from the perspective of someone who doesn't really play Rein but is often the target of charges, I don't see where "aiming" comes into play. It seems to have a pretty good space it can just suck you in from, and I feel like I get teleported to the tip of his charge more often than I get brushed aside. I don't suppose anyone knows what the exact mechanics on that are, or what the hitbox shape is like? It gets frustrating not knowing or being able to avoid it properly.

No idea. It, like Roadhog's hook, seems to have a hitbox of "whatever the gently caress it wants."

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Internet Kraken posted:

I continue to be mystified by people that get tons of eliminations as Dva. Whenever I try her I feel like I'm firing nerf darts.

She's sooo much more fun now on PTR

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Every single one of my 4 comp matches tonight, we were the underdog, 3 of those we were the underdog by 2 ranks. But it was all worth it because in the last game, we had a rank 28 teammate (average enemy rank 49) and we absolutely crushed them. Steamrolled our attack on King's Row and then held them to basically zero progress past the last checkpoint on defense. It was awesome.

Of course I had to laugh when the rank I gained from that win was basically just a smidge more than I lost for each of the losses.

e: Oh by the way, I told the rank 28 about bacon's stream, going for the lowest rank. He said he was in a game with a rank 6 earlier that day and he was SOOOO pissed about it. Haha. He's bound to show up on bacon's stream at some point, Viper826 or something like that.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

Well eliminations aren't necessarily "final blows" or whatever the game calls it, elims also counts damage assists, so a lot of the time with DVa you can rack up a big elim score by firing wildly and winging people who then die a second later to someone else. I just had a game where I got 38 eliminations as Winston and I know I didn't solo kill 38 people over the course of that game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Canemacar posted:

No idea. It, like Roadhog's hook, seems to have a hitbox of "whatever the gently caress it wants."

The more I play Roadhog the less I like him. The hook just chooses to be wildly inconsistent sometimes and it sucks. Pull a guy into a wall, pull a guy behind you, its ridiculous. And then when the Roadhog is on the other team he hooks you from behind a pillar and you magically slide right into his gun.

Kai Tave posted:

Well eliminations aren't necessarily "final blows" or whatever the game calls it, elims also counts damage assists, so a lot of the time with DVa you can rack up a big elim score by firing wildly and winging people who then die a second later to someone else. I just had a game where I got 38 eliminations as Winston and I know I didn't solo kill 38 people over the course of that game.

Yeah but I mean I see people on Dva that sometimes do way more damage in general and I just don't get how they manage it. She's probably the hero I understand the least in how to play her effectively.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Kai Tave posted:

I'd like it if they switched gold medals from elims to final blows. When I feel smug about how much better I am than my team, I want it to be cause I earned it!

Also, is the soundtrack for this game available? Im liking the Route 66 tune.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Internet Kraken posted:

The more I play Roadhog the less I like him. The hook just chooses to be wildly inconsistent sometimes and it sucks. Pull a guy into a wall, pull a guy behind you, its ridiculous. And then when the Roadhog is on the other team he hooks you from behind a pillar and you magically slide right into his gun.

Supposedly they're looking to fix some issues with Roadhog's hook pulling people to your side or behind you but I don't know if it's waiting on the PTR to finalize or not.

Canemacar posted:

I'd like it if they switched gold medals from elims to final blows. When I feel smug about how much better I am than my team, I want it to be cause I earned it!

Also, is the soundtrack for this game available? Im liking the Route 66 tune.

There's a complete soundtrack of some sort someone uploaded to Youtube, I'm not sure if you can buy it somewhere or what. Actually scratch that, Google tells me you can buy it for $11 from iTunes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah but I mean I see people on Dva that sometimes do way more damage in general and I just don't get how they manage it. She's probably the hero I understand the least in how to play her effectively.

doing a lot of damage with d.va is easy because she never has to reload. get in closish and just dump into tanks or w/e and you'll get a ton of damage by the end. this is also how you get free eliminations with her since you can flank a team, fire infinite bullets until they get mad at you, then leave (not many heroes can actually chase a d.va). your team can then clean up or at least move in while the enemy team's distracted

if you want to get solo kills, you basically have to get into someone's face; d.va's guns are basically full auto shotguns. you just have to make sure not to over commit since d.va can't win against multiple people and the mech is kinda fragile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The Defense Matrix buff is apparently really good at enabling D.Va to initiate better without half-dying on the way there which means she can afford to be more of an aggressive bully.