Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Necc0 posted:

I'm dead-loving serious with this question: How are all of the establishment Trump supporters able to sleep at night? How the gently caress can they look at themselves in the mirror and not immediately stick a shotgun in their mouth?

With Pence, Trump has proven that he will stack the SCOTUS with whatever Heritage sockpuppet is presented to him. That's a fine enough reason alone. And sure, he's the embodiment of the worst impulses of your base, but what's the alternative? Stand on principle and set yourself apart from your core constituency?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Cleveland is an acceptable sacrifice to save humanity.

Putin nukes Cleveland, wins Nobel Peace Prize unanimously, and he's given a ticker tape parade in NYC

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Agronox posted:

Here lies the United States. We broke it because we got bored.

This is how the United States ends, not with a bang but with a "hey, wouldn't it be hilarious if"

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Necc0 posted:

I'm dead-loving serious with this question: How are all of the establishment Trump supporters able to sleep at night? How the gently caress can they look at themselves in the mirror and not immediately stick a shotgun in their mouth?

They think they can control him.

They can't control him.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Patter Song posted:

Ron Johnson must have really just given up all hope of reelection. He's the only endangered Senator on the speaking list, but his reelection bid is effectively a lost cause anyway.

He's also dumber than a box of rocks.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Necc0 posted:

Trump has no interest in governing and aside from a few pet projects he will probably just go along with whatever the republican house and senate want to do. This is a great thing for the establishment supporters. They just need to figure out a way to survive the next few months.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Would it be considered insider trading for republican politicians to massively divest in the USD before tanking it

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

MadJackal posted:

With Pence, Trump has proven that he will stack the SCOTUS with whatever Heritage sockpuppet is presented to him. That's a fine enough reason alone. And sure, he's the embodiment of the worst impulses of your base, but what's the alternative? Stand on principle and set yourself apart from your core constituency?

This is what makes me nervous; there will basically be no checks and balances. With the SCOTUS vacancies you will potentially have a heavily lopsided, conservative court, a GOP led congress, and even the best case scenario is a President Trump doing whatever the GOP wants as long as they keep congratulating him, with the worst case scenario being him loving everything else up.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Al! posted:

Would it be considered insider trading for republican politicians to massively divest in the USD before tanking it

Ah, the Ron Paul portfolio. Nope!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Joementum posted:

Most of them are avoiding the convention and just trying to survive the year. Those who are at the convention are just going to give fifteen minute speeches about the need to cut taxes, never mention Trump, and gently caress off. When this is over, they'll try to bury him.

They don't see where this is headed? I'm no kind of professional and I can see how it ends for the GOP. They either have to change or die along with the Boomers.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Zeroisanumber posted:

They don't see where this is headed? I'm no kind of professional and I can see how it ends for the GOP. They either have to change or die along with the Boomers.

That was their conclusion from 2012.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Karl Sharks posted:

nobody reads it more, in fact

In fact, many people, many many people, have come up to him and have said, "Mr. Trump, nobody reads the bible as much as you." Nobody. It's true!

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Tainen posted:

Was this actually in the interview or is it made up?

https://twitter.com/jysexton/status/754838681836544000

whoaaa

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

smell this posted:

end justify the means i suppose

Personally I think handing Donald Trump the keys to the most powerful military the world has ever seen and a literal doomsday device seems sort of like a means that could easily become its own end but whatever nothing matters.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Zeroisanumber posted:

If the demographics don't favor the GOP, the demographics can be changed. Gerrymandering and voter suppression are already propping them up as a nationally viable party, and they can just keep running with that

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

zen death robot posted:

The Boomers will be around for another 20+ years tho

In a diminished capacity. The oldest are what? 70? The youngest pushing 55?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

quote:

Put on the spot, Zwick tried to ad-lib a way out. “I don’t know why you’re raising money at all,” he tried, musing that in 2012 he’d always regretted how much time Romney had to spend schmoozing fat-cat donors. Zwick proposed that Trump forget all about raising money for a while and “come out really hard and strong” with a pledge that he wouldn’t waste any time on the campaign trail sucking up to donors.

Trump was enthusiastic. “That’s a great idea!”

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

rawrr posted:

This is what makes me nervous; there will basically be no checks and balances. With the SCOTUS vacancies you will potentially have a heavily lopsided, conservative court, a GOP led congress, and even the best case scenario is a President Trump doing whatever the GOP wants as long as they keep congratulating him, with the worst case scenario being him loving everything else up.
:abuela: could always use more help

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

zen death robot posted:

The Boomers will be around for another 20+ years tho

Republicans are not known for excellent long term planning

MaxNV
Jan 3, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

In a diminished capacity. The oldest are what? 70? The youngest pushing 55?

It doesn't take a lot of capacity to vote.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

No one understands the Bible like me. God came to me - great guy, God, not as rich as me but still great - and he said "Donald, you're the best with the Bible," and Jesus - real good guy, just a great guy and a friend of mine - he said "If anyone else says they know more about the Bible than you Donald, they're lying." And you know, Hillary, or as some call her Crooked Hillary, she doesn't get the Bible like I do. Or America. And we're going to make the Bible great again, and we're going to make America great again, and no one is better than me to do that.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
https://twitter.com/LaurenWern/status/754865621691686912

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

oh my god it gets even better

quote:

Trump’s tirades against the “donor puppets” would become one of the most compelling elements of his primary campaign message — that of the blue-collar billionaire who couldn’t be bought. More to the point, Zwick was off the hook. (Zwick declined to discuss the details of his meetings with Trump.)

Nunberg later confessed to me that Trump’s principled stand against the corrupt donor class was little more than lucky spin. “The truth is, he would have raised money if he could have … Donald never had any intention of self-financing.”

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Jesus Christ, if he somehow becomes president and the nation turns on him, he'd burn the entire place down. He's running on equal parts ego and pure spite.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I put the convention "schedule" (such as it is) and a link to C-SPAN in the OP, for reference.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

If the demographics don't favor the GOP, the demographics can be changed. Gerrymandering and voter suppression are already propping them up as a nationally viable party, and they can just keep running with that

That made me imagine a dystopian future where Rush starts hiring alum from Hutu Power radio.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
C-SPAN is starting their coverage at 1pm ET tomorrow, by the way. The afternoon of the first day is typically used for voting on the reports of the committees. They'll gavel in the convention, say the pledge and some other ceremonial stuff and then the chairman of each committee will present their report(s) to the convention for formal adoption. This includes credentialling (which delegates are seated), platform, and rules. So if there's going to be any drama, it'll be tomorrow afternoon. But there (probably) won't be, given how the votes in the committees went.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Tainen posted:

Am I the only one who thought Trump was actually saying it was okay for Pence to think Trump went too far re: McCain?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

MadJackal posted:

Jesus Christ, if he somehow becomes president and the nation turns on him, he'd burn the entire place down. He's running on equal parts ego and pure spite.
Hey, at least we'd see a historic moment involving the 82nd Airborne dragging a sitting president out of the White House.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Tainen posted:

At the risk of tamping down Trump's inanity, he seemed to mean "you can say yes [that comment went too far]." May be an overly generous interpretation, but that's the way it seemed in context.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MadJackal posted:

It's about time that America had a president that represented its values.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Fun fact: tomorrow's speakers include not one, not two, but four mothers who lost their sons suddenly and violently

Utz
Aug 1, 2008

by vyelkin

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Am I the only one who thought Trump was actually saying it was okay for Pence to think Trump went too far re: McCain?

I watched it and I think that's exactly what he was saying.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/bobingle99/status/754875493959163904

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
McKay Coppins said on BuzzFeed's podcast today, in advance of that article, that Trump was legit worried he'd gone too far with the McCain gaffe. He'll never admit it publicly, of course, but he's probably fine with Pence saying so.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DaveWoo posted:

This is how the United States ends, not with a bang but with a "hey, wouldn't it be hilarious if"

I believe the correct formulation is "hold my beer and watch this-"

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Republicans are not known for excellent long term planning

why do people keep saying this? the right has literally spent decades gradually and systematically undermining trust in the media and support for abortion/unions/etc. the GOP has been so much better at long-term planning than the democrats to an absolutely comical extent over the last 40 years

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Al! posted:

If I remember right, insider trading rules literally do not apply to members of Congress.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Sweet Jesus. May the Lord have mercy.

Actually nah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

It's less about long term planning and more about basing their whole gameplan on hate and stupidity, which will always be in great supply and very easy to manipulate

• Locked thread