Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Haha! Remembering past miseries and regrets while slowly dying connected to an oxygen tank. The contemporary young people will love it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Calaveron posted:

Haha! Remembering past miseries and regrets while slowly dying connected to an oxygen tank. The contemporary young people will love it!

It's fine, the comic about contemporary issues affecting young adults is the one where an old man is grappling with modern technology and can't remember where he put his keys while parked in front of the home he owns. Just like the millennials do!

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

As requested, an "Abie the Agent" (aka "Abie Kabibble") strip. I've only got a few , but I'l see if I can find more.

edit: ooh, an archive of Abie strips! Anyone who's got more time than me want to extract and post these?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Parahexavoctal fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 17, 2016

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

WickedHate posted:

Wait, dead fish buried in graves? God forbid we have too much fertilizer and pet food, I guess?
Australian gardeners might still be skittish about buying fertilizer made from invasive species. Once exploded, twice shy, etc., etc..

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Yes, this would be incredibly helpful information for the guy stealing your car to have.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

To paraphrase Sir Terry Pratchett, you have to keep people like that occupied with things like this, otherwise they could get up to anything.
Like filling the kitchen sink with human skulls?

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbursts of Everett True

And He Did.

Guess If They Are Married!

Whoops Sisters

That's it for the Sisters. WHOOPS!

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Gross Exaggerations (click for big)

Mopsy

Feiffer (click for big)

Jaf

Wee Pals (click for big)

Mr. Tweedy

Andy Capp (click for big)

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
I'm looking for something to replace the WHOOPS sisters.

Anyone up for:

The Gay 30's from 1934

Or ...

They'll Do It Everytime from 1939

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The second Gay Thirties reminds me a lot of Out Our Way, so it gets my vote.

Plus, y'know, we're not getting classic Prince Valiant anymore and I miss that joke.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

TDIET, please!

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

I'm thinking the Gay Thirties. Frankly They'll Do It Every Time seems like old school Pluggers albeit not exclusively aimed at the elderly.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Green Intern posted:

TDIET, please!

I read the modern one until it ended, let's see the classic.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
TDIET all the way.

SomeMathGuy posted:

I'm thinking the Gay Thirties. Frankly They'll Do It Every Time seems like old school Pluggers albeit not exclusively aimed at the elderly.

I love it because it's very similar to modern observational humor and feels pretty dang relatable. It's truly timeless and matched in that regard only by perhaps Peanuts and Calvin & Hobbes. You could start a successor called That Feel When and there'd be no difference at all.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 17, 2016

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Could we have both, please?

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thus begins an epic wall o' comics. Not for the weak of heart or feeble of mind!

Moving. Spiritually enriching. Sublime. “High” art, or, Gasoline Alley

Bonus Pluggers comic included:

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Phoebe and her Unicorn, or, Heavenly Nostrils

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Descent into Madness, or, Ziggy

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Ye Olde Fox Trot

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost
Best Comic in the Thread, or, Cul de Sac

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Gil

Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Just in case you didn't get the reference.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

I'm looking for something to replace the WHOOPS sisters.

Anyone up for:

The Gay 30's from 1934

Or ...

They both look like great comics, but I've been pining for They'll Do it Every Time for multiple threads now. If you're not up for doing both, then TDIET all the way.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

What? No, Nancy. No one would ever think of making that particular analogy ever. That would not just come to any actual human being's mind first thing upon seeing a tortoise and hare racing. Of course that wouldn't ever actually happen either. This whole strip is dumb and contrived and it has been all week it's like they went out of their way to find the worst, most annoying possible week to rerun so Gilchrist can take a vacation at the Christian Resort on Oldies Beach at Country-Western Lake or something and I just hate Nancy so much! :argh:

SomeMathGuy posted:

Mark Trail Meets Fish Pogroms

I know I'm being ridiculous and have read too much scifi/dystopian future stuff, but a part of me thinks that if the problem is "there's too many of this one fish in a place it doesn't belong," the solution of "let's create a super-herpes to kill them all" is not the ideal one.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Jungle Jim

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

goatface posted:

My dad has one of the novels (short story collections?) on his shelf. I keep meaning to pinch it and see what it's like.

The strip and the books both have the same author -- in fact, O'Donnell was insistent that no one but him should ever write Modesty (from seeing James Bond get handed off to other writers in the '80s, perhaps?).

Rhymes with SOME GIZMO

Pros and Cons

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

I don't get it, where's the last two panels where the judge says "oh, alright" and the defendant's name is revealed to be Brock Turner?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Slammy posted:

Yes! Definitely feeling The Urge.

Aardmania posted:

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop
Wait, isn't that Dag's sheep?

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
https://twitter.com/billamend/status/754839145462190081

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

I like Bill Amend.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County: IT'S A SWITCHEROO!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

The Amazing Spider-Man

"You think my adventures are exciting? They're nothing compared to the adventures other superheroes have! But, you wouldn't be interested in hearing about those. Let's try and get home before Jeopardy's on."

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Prince Valiant

Make Room for Daddy

Big Ben Bolt

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set savors the flavor.

Working Daze aims at humor and misses.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix covers nuance.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Wanamingo posted:

Andertoons

Christ, were people like this about, I don't know, bottled water? "Kids these days are so self absorbed they demand their water be free of minerals and come in convenient bottles! Well, we smart old people know how to get free water, all you need is a sink and a tin can, yes indeed!"

Old people constantly complain about the future not being as good as they expected when they were kids and yet seem to despise every single basic improvement.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bottled water actually is kind of horribly wasteful.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Christ, were people like this about, I don't know, bottled water?

People were like this about the invention of writing.

"for this discovery of yours will create forgetfulness in the learners’ souls, because they will not use their memories; they will trust to the external written characters and not remember of themselves. The specific which you have discovered is an aid not to memory, but to reminiscence, and you give your disciples not truth, but only the semblance of truth; they will be hearers of many things and will have learned nothing; they will appear to be omniscient and will generally know nothing; they will be tiresome company, having the show of wisdom without the reality."

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

WickedHate posted:

Christ, were people like this about, I don't know, bottled water? "Kids these days are so self absorbed they demand their water be free of minerals and come in convenient bottles! Well, we smart old people know how to get free water, all you need is a sink and a tin can, yes indeed!"

Old people constantly complain about the future not being as good as they expected when they were kids and yet seem to despise every single basic improvement.

Bottled water destroys aquifers and creates an amazing amount of pollution. Selfie sticks are tools, useful in certain scenarios but people misuse them.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Bottled water destroys aquifers and creates an amazing amount of pollution. Selfie sticks are tools, useful in certain scenarios but people misuse them.

People misuse syringes too but I don't wanna go back in time and stop it from being invented before it makes society too decedent.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

WickedHate posted:

Well you see it's patently absurd to invest tens of dollars so that you don't have to hand your $400 phone to a complete stranger to get a photo of yourself taken because

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Julet Esqu posted:

Sally Forth

Either this is going to end in a joke about the unchanging nature of comic strips and a hard reset back to the previous status quo, or Hil's going to come home, and find out she's actually a year older now and gets new classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life - Why is this arc not over??

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse goes topical.

• Locked thread