Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

That gimmick looks awful. Do people's faces wiggle the whole movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I'm glad to see Wynonna Ryder didn't turn into some wierdo like Johnny Depp or Helena Bohnam Carter
Except for that whole shoplifting thing.

(I mean that was the the one weird hiccup, I just mainly remember the press frenzy surrounding it)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

That gimmick looks awful. Do people's faces wiggle the whole movie?

Lol yes I remember watching this with my "edgy" stoner friends some time in college. It made me nauseous. Rotoscope is terrible

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
A Scanner Darkly is a goddamn masterpiece, ya jerks.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

It's a good movie.

A MIRACLE posted:

Lol yes I remember watching this with my "edgy" stoner friends some time in college. It made me nauseous. Rotoscope is terrible

I really don't think they chose it to be aesthetically pleasing. It makes you want to jump out of your own skin.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I guess I should watch it again. Molly, acid or shrooms?

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
A scanner Darkly is really fantastic.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

precision posted:

It's a great adaptation of the book and has my favorite Keanu Reeves performance. Dude played Bob Arctor perfectly.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

precision posted:

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

precision posted:

I wouldn't go that far, but yeah, it's pretty cool. People overreact to the rotoscoping in one way or another and miss that it's intended to evoke the sense of altered reality that Philip K Dick worked so hard to capture in his writing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is still one of my favorite movies of all time and easily my favorite spy movie. Just about every performance is fantastic and the plot is a tightly woven espionage story that will probably take a second viewing to really understand fully. It also has probably the most satisfying ending scene of any movie I've ever watched. I can't recommend this movie highly enough.

It's a Le Carre story so think more cloak and dagger than tuxedos and martinis. It's definitely a bit dry if you aren't a fan of that sort of thing.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

A MIRACLE posted:

Take two strong hits of Salvia divinorum before watching.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just watched He Never Died. Great movie. Rollins was awesome.

Also watched The Big Short earlier today and really enjoyed it. Carrell and Bale were incredible. Really liked the 4th wall breaking stuff.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is still one of my favorite movies of all time and easily my favorite spy movie. Just about every performance is fantastic and the plot is a tightly woven espionage story that will probably take a second viewing to really understand fully. It also has probably the most satisfying ending scene of any movie I've ever watched. I can't recommend this movie highly enough.

It's a Le Carre story so think more cloak and dagger than tuxedos and martinis. It's definitely a bit dry if you aren't a fan of that sort of thing.

Oldman's performance is incredible. Even though the Alec Guinness miniseries is way closer to the book and easier to follow (a given with the extra runtime), the Oldman version has my favorite performances. I'd love to see The Honorable Schoolboy get the same treatment.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

A MIRACLE posted:

All of it.

Seriously.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Blind Rasputin posted:

I'm sorry to keep posting about it but I'm now halfway through Stranger Things and this show is loving fantastic. I want this 80's almost blood dragon riff nostalgic soundtrack too.

it has the best soundtrack, I would pay $$ for it. Especially if it's on vinyl

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Todd Margaret S3 is really uneven. Will Arnett's new role was pretty boring, Jack McBreyer took over Spike Jonze's role and I didn't like the change, and the overarching plot involving the cult just falls flat. On the other hand the writing is still very clever, Dave's still fun to watch and Alice's reveal was amazing. David Cross plays an excellent rear end in a top hat businessman, too. Chalk it up as a rather disappointing season, but I'll still happily wait for season 4.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Yeah the Will Arnett/Cult plot just ended up going nowhere which is surprising considering how the first two seasons entire thing was based on every little thing. building up and coming together over time.

Also weird that they changed the Spike Jonze actor instead of just making him a new character. I didn't even realize he was supposed to be the same person until I was reading on Wikipedia.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Stranger Things is really the perfect adaptation of a Stephen King book that never existed. Granted every detail is taken from some place else, but it's spot on.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Stranger Things is really the perfect adaptation of a Stephen King book that never existed. Granted every detail is taken from some place else, but it's spot on.

They even use the classic Stephen King paperback font for the show's title.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Can you give my a synopsis of the story? I've read that it's supposed to be good and is pretty popular on Netflix since it came out but have no idea what it's about. Is it scary or something?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

drunken officeparty posted:

Can you give my a synopsis of the story? I've read that it's supposed to be good and is pretty popular on Netflix since it came out but have no idea what it's about. Is it scary or something?

A kid disappears under freaky circumstances, that's all you need to know.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

And there's a sort of human ET w/ compadre kids plot. The kids, who like 80s dungeons and dragons and night riding on bicycles are basically a kickass call out to all of our childhoods. And the soundtrack is full of kickass synth riffs.

Seriously you can't go wrong.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Hows House of Cards season 4?

I loved season 1, liked 2 and barely remember 3. But overall I'd consider myself a fan of the series.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

To be honest the first half wanders a bit I felt. It picks up really well in the second half though. It's worth it.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Better than 3, maybe equal to 2, which are all under 1. Overall it's not bad and if you've watched the other 3 seasons there's no reason not to watch 4.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

4 RING SHRIMP posted:

Hows House of Cards season 4?

I loved season 1, liked 2 and barely remember 3. But overall I'd consider myself a fan of the series.

The first four episodes probably should've been part of Season 3, but it ends well.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I can't remember but does season 4 end with him calling for all out loving war after letting a dude get iced on national tv? That was such a badass moment.

Trump would do that.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

I can't remember but does season 4 end with him calling for all out loving war after letting a dude get iced on national tv? That was such a badass moment.

Trump would do that.

Yeah it's a little ambiguous iirc but that's basically the end.

Personally I hope season 5 has him nuke something

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Blind Rasputin posted:

Trump would do that.

The final scene freaked me out when Robin Wright shared in Spacey's breaking of the fourth wall, it was a pretty powerful shot

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm gonna call bs on Stranger Things. The story is basically 1 (lame) episode of the X- files dragged out into 8 hours and the 80's stuff seems really cliche and unnecessary. The acting is also bad and I'm pretty burned out on intentionally corny retro synth music. It's all style over substance, but the style sucks and is really overdone right now. It's a pretty lovely show.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

NESguerilla posted:

I'm gonna call bs on Stranger Things. The story is basically 1 (lame) episode of the X- files dragged out into 8 hours and the 80's stuff seems really cliche and unnecessary. The acting is also bad and I'm pretty burned out on intentionally corny retro synth music. It's all style over substance, but the style sucks and is really overdone right now. It's a pretty lovely show.

I wonder some of the other well-received movies/shows that have used this 80's throwback style will suffer in hindsight. Drive, The Guest, It Follows, and House of the Devil are a few that I can think of. I know I enjoyed all of them immensely at the time, even after I was aware it had become a fad. I haven't seen Stranger Things yet so I can't speak to its quality, but I think you're right about 80's nostalgia becoming overdone.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

fishtobaskets posted:

I wonder some of the other well-received movies/shows that have used this 80's throwback style will suffer in hindsight. Drive, The Guest, It Follows, and House of the Devil are a few that I can think of. I know I enjoyed all of them immensely at the time, even after I was aware it had become a fad. I haven't seen Stranger Things yet so I can't speak to its quality, but I think you're right about 80's nostalgia becoming overdone.

Halt and Catch Fire. Although there it is pretty much integral to the plot and such so I think it's valid.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

NESguerilla posted:

I think it may be a little but overrated, but I'm glad I watched it and I can't deny it was entertaining. I really disagree with your opinion of the acting, its a big ensemble cast and overall I thought the acting was very solid.

The story is completely unoriginal, which would be my main criticism. Its a combination of a bunch of ideas that have definitely been done before, but the way its done makes it feel more like a loving homage than a rip off.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

fishtobaskets posted:

I want to disagree. Certain movies work better with a nostalgic 80's aesthetic. I just watched The Final Girls last night again, and that movie just wouldn't work without the 80's aesthetic.

We're Right now we have a generation of filmmakers that grew up on the films of the 80's and are now able to look back and see what works and what doesn't.

Nostalgia movies have always been a thing. Dazed and Confused is a 90's movie that takes place in the 70's, and that's aged remarkably well. American Graffiti is a movie from the 70's about 1962.

Bad movies happen, though. Does anyone remember Take Me Home Tonight?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
I seen Penny Dreadful pop up on netflix here recently. That's still a goon favorite right?

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

Franchescanado posted:

I want to disagree. Certain movies work better with a nostalgic 80's aesthetic. I just watched The Final Girls last night again, and that movie just wouldn't work without the 80's aesthetic.

We're Right now we have a generation of filmmakers that grew up on the films of the 80's and are now able to look back and see what works and what doesn't.

Nostalgia movies have always been a thing. Dazed and Confused is a 90's movie that takes place in the 70's, and that's aged remarkably well. American Graffiti is a movie from the 70's about 1962.

Bad movies happen, though. Does anyone remember Take Me Home Tonight?

While I agree with you that nostalgia movies have been a thing for a while and the examples you mention are great movies, this current trend feels a little different. In Dazed & Confused and American Graffiti, the setting was from the previous generation, but the style of the movies was essentially contemporary. In this latest run of movies that are paying homage to the 80's, they mostly take place in a contemporary setting, but they feature things like Miami Vice title cards, piercing synth soundtracks, and anachronistic wardrobes/sets.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

NESguerilla posted:

I'm only 4 in, and thankfully I am having a different experience. I am closer to Sepinwall, that the show is able to "...basks in '80s nostalgia, but doesn't drown in it". Ready Player One is a prefect example of a story being drown in 80's nostalgia, but I think so far Stranger Things has balanced the line in a way that works for me. I do agree it might have more style that substance, but it has just the right amount of substance that I want from a show like this. Also love the original score, but I am the type of guy that will play 'The Thing' soundtrack at my desk all day while working. I am also the guy that read every Stephen King book and went to every movie of this type during the 80's. So maybe because of my age maybe I am blind to 80's nostalgia overload, but to me it has no more nostalgia than something like Dazed & Confused with it's 70's nostalgia.

fishtobaskets posted:

Nah all of those are pretty good quality products, that I think will be fine. It is future properties that are trying to ride this trend that will suffer the most. It wouldn't surprise me that even Spielberg is not able to save Ready Player One by the time it comes out (2018? About 3 years too late).

That Works posted:

Halt and Catch Fire. Although there it is pretty much integral to the plot and such so I think it's valid.

It is so much a part of the plot that it really doesn't feel like nostalgia, and also it is a great show.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 18, 2016

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
s

fishtobaskets posted:

Besides House of The Devil (which I haven't seen) I think the rest of those don't really lean onto nostalgia to a degree where they'll suffer in the future. Something like Hot Tube Time Machine...maybe in a lil more danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

DeathSandwich posted:

I seen Penny Dreadful pop up on netflix here recently. That's still a goon favorite right?

I've only watched three episodes so far but it is very well produced and entertaining so far. I also have a very firm rule to watch everything that has Eva Green in it.