Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
So from the looks of things, we might not see aftermarket RX 480's until mid-August. Asus announced their Strix was coming out mid-August, Sapphire said today in their weekly youtube show that they weren't in production yet and no one else has even mentioned a date yet. The GTX 1060 is launching Tuesday, with aftermarket cards available right away. If no RX 480 maker can release a card until mid-August, then it feels like AMD would have given away the mid-range to Nvidia, with them already giving away the high end with Vega not coming until 2017.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

AMD apparently hates making money.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Yup yup yup

although tbf as has been shown to me in this very thread, there was a lot of improvement with hawaii cards over the years with nothing more than drivers. So much so that kepler 780ti was consistently better than a 290 at pretty much everything except in nearly unplayable 4k, and sometimes by a lot. That's definitely no longer the case... but as we all remember when the 290 was released for 6 months they cost $700-$1000. They only had a relatively brief time to shine before maxwell, then they really slashed prices. The 970 was an honest to god $350 card though from day one and that made things tough.

And back then a 280x and a 770 were nearly identical to the point you almost couldn't tell them apart, but that has also apparently changed quite a bit.

I'm not sure how much of a good thing all that is but it does go to show how good the actual hardware really was.

Was.

Now we have polaris.

>:|

I wouldn't poo poo on Polaris so thoroughly, look at previous AMD projections, new series naming scheme, board design, and undervoltage performance and it looks less like they cocked up a uarch and more that GloFo 32nm'ed them.

Waiting on Polaris getting 14nm LPC'ed in the 500 series to advocate the new Vega chips.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Gonkish posted:

Sorry for double but on phone and it's a pita to edit. I wouldn't place this on AMDs shoulders, this is likely a fab and AIB issue, as they filter out good P10 dies that'll take a lower voltage per clock and work out links in board power delivery design. Reference 480s are not bottlenecked comparatively because those aren't considerations.

AIBs seem to want similar power draw at ~1350 boost as ref gets at 1266 (possible with strict binning) and potential 1500mhz headroom (1590 stable has been done with modification to reference design on air IIRC).

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Gonkish posted:

Just poor business. My laptop finally died, so I was all set to get an rx 480 for my first build, too. Now instead I'm trying to figure out which version of the 1060 to get, since I can't go until August without a computer (any suggestions would be very welcome!).

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FaustianQ posted:

I wouldn't poo poo on Polaris so thoroughly, look at previous AMD projections, new series naming scheme, board design, and undervoltage performance and it looks less like they cocked up a uarch and more that GloFo 32nm'ed them.

Waiting on Polaris getting 14nm LPC'ed in the 500 series to advocate the new Vega chips.

Ill be legitimately happy when I see it (really lol).

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

FaustianQ posted:

Consumers can poo poo on Polaris all they want with their lovely MSRP founder edition tactics. $100 (1080) / $70 (1070) premium for early adopters is pretty crappy to do. It's been a couple of months and we still haven't seen any cards go for true MSRP value. What a joke marketing wise.

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 18, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Rabid Snake posted:

Consumers can poo poo on Polaris all they want with their lovely MSRP founder edition tactics. $100 (1080) / $70 (1070) premium for early adopters is pretty crappy to do. It's been a couple of months and we still haven't seen any cards go for true MSRP value. What a joke marketing wise.

You got the companies mixed up I think.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

You got the companies mixed up I think.

ugh polaris and pascal

the P got me.

I guess I'm venting on paying $430 on an AIB nvidia card when it was supposed to be $380 msrp wise. Vega please save us

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
At this point I'm considering putting in overtime at work so I can just dehumanize myself and face to Nvidia.

I have an R9 290 but I'm getting kind of tired of my computer being a space heater. I live in a relatively small fourth floor apartment so between my PC and my network closet I really could stand to not have a graphics card that runs at 50C idling and 80C under load.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

At this point I'm considering putting in overtime at work so I can just dehumanize myself and face to Nvidia.

I have an R9 290 but I'm getting kind of tired of my computer being a space heater. I live in a relatively small fourth floor apartment so between my PC and my network closet I really could stand to not have a graphics card that runs at 50C idling and 80C under load.

Hate to break it to you, but my GTX 1070 runs at 75C under load, so it's not that much of an improvement.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Beautiful Ninja posted:

So from the looks of things, we might not see aftermarket RX 480's until mid-August. Asus announced their Strix was coming out mid-August, Sapphire said today in their weekly youtube show that they weren't in production yet and no one else has even mentioned a date yet. The GTX 1060 is launching Tuesday, with aftermarket cards available right away. If no RX 480 maker can release a card until mid-August, then it feels like AMD would have given away the mid-range to Nvidia, with them already giving away the high end with Vega not coming until 2017.

Overclockers has the Sapphire 480 Nitro+ with a release date ETA of 22nd July.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jul 18, 2016

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

Hate to break it to you, but my GTX 1070 runs at 75C under load, so it's not that much of an improvement.

The temperature of the GPU is not the same as the heat generated by the GPU. Your 1070 puts roughly half as much heat into the room as a 290.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Been having a superb experience with the iChill X4 ... the thing sits on boost like it ain't no thing, and loads around 65 degrees like a champ. Absolute night and day in noise and temperature coming from an R9.

vvv I have both cards too; which version of the 1070 do you have because that's absolutely not what I'm experiencing. (Although is there really that much variance between them?)

E: Uh, guys, I think it's taken as read that it's dissipating half the watts.

Salt n Reba McEntire fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jul 18, 2016

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

The temperature of the GPU is not the same as the heat generated by the GPU. Your 1070 puts roughly half as much heat into the room as a 290.
Yeah I understand that, but you're missing the point. Running Ultra on a 1070 doesn't mean it's gonna run any hotter then high on a 290.

Yup just ran it though the same benchmarks;

the 290 ran about 5 degrees hotter.

Under the same mobo/case conditions

Feeling the same temps between the 1070 and the 290. I have both cards you want me to test any other tests?

Rabid Snake fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jul 18, 2016

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Rabid Snake posted:

Yup just ran it though the same benchmarks;

the 290 ran about 5 degrees hotter.

Under the same mobo/case conditions

Feeling the same temps between the 1070 and the 290. I have both cards you want me to test any other tests?

You don't need to test anything. 99% of the power consumed by a graphics card is converted to heat. So the 290 pumps out 300w of heat and the 1070 pumps out 150w of heat.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

BurritoJustice posted:

You don't need to test anything. 99% of the power consumed by a graphics card is converted to heat. So the 290 pumps out 300w of heat and the 1070 pumps out 150w of heat.

Feels like the temperature does run hotter by 5 degrees running on high on overwatch on 1440p But drat not by that much?

Wanna see a youtube video or something

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Its not linear when it comes to power usage

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Rabid Snake posted:

ugh polaris and pascal

the P got me.

I guess I'm venting on paying $430 on an AIB nvidia card when it was supposed to be $380 msrp wise. Vega please save us

Yeah but none of those cards were ever going to be $380 once you add in after-market coolers, etc.

Rabid Snake posted:

Feels like the temperature does run hotter by 5 degrees running on high on overwatch on 1440p But drat not by that much?

Wanna see a youtube video or something

5'C is a lot, though -- like on a "human comfort" scale? I mean among everything else said. The metric system makes people think weird :mad:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Oc UK is showing the 480s as shipping Aug 5th now. I'm sure that will end up being wrong too. At this point we might have the 1060 out for a month, with all its partner boards, and still no AIB 480s.

AMD really loves shooting themselves in the foot.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gonkish posted:

Oc UK is showing the 480s as shipping Aug 5th now.

Where does it say that? If I hover over the pre-order link it still says 22nd. Also, they are cranking the price on the 480s, the Nitro+ will be £259 with the Nitro at £249.

e: ah, standard Nitro is showing 5th, Nitro+ still 22nd. OCUK staffer saying 22nd looking very unlikely.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 18, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Watching goons struggle with the difference between heat and temperature is awesome. :allears:

Also; still can't find a non-FE 1080 anywhere except Amazon, for hilarious $200 markups.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Lungboy posted:

e: ah, standard Nitro is showing 5th, Nitro+ still 22nd. OCUK staffer saying 22nd looking very unlikely.

Gibbo also posted the (non-finalized) clocks for Sapphires cards:

Nitro OC: 1306mhz (+3%)
Nitro+ OC: 1342mhz (+6%)

:flaccid:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

MrYenko posted:

Watching goons struggle with the difference between heat and temperature is awesome. :allears:

Also; still can't find a non-FE 1080 anywhere except Amazon, for hilarious $200 markups.

Yeah that's the other thing - the temperature the chip runs at is pretty unimportant. It's the rate at which heat has to be dispersed from the device to MAINTAIN that temperature that matters. A chip that runs at 80'c with a passive cooler is going to generate a lot less heat than one that runs at 65'c with a huge blower/water radiator.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Probably the best thread to post this

Sony on PS4 neo 4k support lmbo

e: better image host

Truga fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 18, 2016

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Enigma posted:

Just poor business. My laptop finally died, so I was all set to get an rx 480 for my first build, too. Now instead I'm trying to figure out which version of the 1060 to get, since I can't go until August without a computer (any suggestions would be very welcome!).

You could just use the integrated graphics until the board you want is available, assuming you aren't building around x99 or AMD FX (lolololol).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
1060s are released at 2pm BST tomorrow on OCUK. I'd hope some benchmarks would go up before then.

e: The Powercolor Devil 480 is up for pre-order on OCUK at £249, that's cheaper than the new Nitro+ price (as of tomorrow) and I think the boost speed is faster too.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 18, 2016

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rabid Snake posted:

This was never true though. Any after-market card with an after-market cooler was always above MSRP. And it also sounds like you are blaming NVidia for what ASUS/Gigabyte/EVGA charge for their cards, but NVidia has nothing to do with that.

I guess it kinda sucks that they eliminated the cheapo line that they'd put out as "Reference" but those were all crappy anyway.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
If Nvidia had any respect for their consumers they would have just left the MSRP out of their marketing materials entirely.

It was to their benefit to have a bunch of FPS per dollar graphs and reviews based on a non-existent MSRP rather than a FE price that was significantly higher.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Lockback posted:

This was never true though. Any after-market card with an after-market cooler was always above MSRP. And it also sounds like you are blaming NVidia for what ASUS/Gigabyte/EVGA charge for their cards, but NVidia has nothing to do with that.

I guess it kinda sucks that they eliminated the cheapo line that they'd put out as "Reference" but those were all crappy anyway.

Naaaaaaaaaaaa Nvidia introducing two MSRPs effectively made the lower MSRP made up. It really is their fault, with a little blame to the AIB's for not being "ethical". Look at MSI prices for lols, there is no way they'd tried to pull that crap if they weren't riding off of FE pricing.

EVGA, for all I nit pick on them, have the only 1080's at what we would imagine pricing should be like.

Of course they realized the error of their ways and reversed their attitude for the later 1070 release.

It is what it is and I am sure we will see cards closer to MSRP as time goes on when supply increases and they have to compete with each other. But this is purely nvidia-enabled price gouging right off the bat. I was very pleased to hear Nvidia is at least half way backtracking with the 1060 release.

For as much as I'm deeply disappointed with how the 480 works as a product, they released it at MSRP at a performance level we were expecting. (For now, it remains to be seen if the 4gb price point was a marketing gimmick, but nonetheless).

And on the same vein, the 1070 and 1080 are worth the money they wanted to charge for them even though its more than a little rich, but they wanted to advertise at a price we'd much happier swallow. Just becausue Nvidia has nothing to do with AIB pricing after the fact and have their hands clean and even if it truly was absolutely not the intention at all to have pricing gravitate around the FE MSRPs - it happened, and its nearly obvious it was going to happen (in hindsight, of course) and even then tons of people guessed it would happen the moment that information dropped at the press release.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Truga posted:

Sony on PS4 neo 4k support lmbo

Checkerboard rendering:

http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2016/Presentations/El_Mansouri_Jalal_Rendering_Rainbow_Six.pdf

Rendering half the pixels alternately by using 2xMSAA on a 1/4th resolution target, using a boatload of tricks to make it look better than half-res upscaled images. Quite some mad science going on there.

Edit: The MSAA thing is really neat. It means they're running at closer to the performance as rendering to 1/4th the resolution + 2xMSAA, rather than 1/2 resolution. Also fits much better in the GPU pipeline.

I'd love to see a visual comparison between this and 4K. Difference should be obvious, but it should still look pretty good.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 18, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Skuto posted:

Checkerboard rendering:

http://twvideo01.ubm-us.net/o1/vault/gdc2016/Presentations/El_Mansouri_Jalal_Rendering_Rainbow_Six.pdf

Rendering half the pixels alternately by using 2xMSAA on a 1/4th resolution target, using a boatload of tricks to make it look better than half-res upscaled images. Quite some mad science going on there.

Edit: The MSAA thing is really neat. It means they're running at closer to the performance as rendering to 1/4th the resolution + 2xMSAA, rather than 1/2 resolution. Also fits much better in the GPU pipeline.

I'd love to see a visual comparison between this and 4K. Difference should be obvious, but it should still look pretty good.
it's a less complicated (cheaper) way of doing what doom 2016 did for the bone and ps4, you're essentially getting a 1440p image's detail out of two 1080p images

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it's a less complicated (cheaper) way of doing what doom 2016 did for the bone and ps4, you're essentially getting a 1440p image's detail out of two 1080p images

Got a reference to DOOM's thing?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are all the 1060s releasing tomorrow or just the FE?

Given what we know about the 1070/1080 should I just get the FE or wait around and see what EVGA or someone is up to?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Skuto posted:

Don't have internal papers, but Digital Foundry has a video about the dynamic resolution scaling to somewhat keep the 1080p appearance https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhhsmcoYybc

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

mango sentinel posted:

Are all the 1060s releasing tomorrow or just the FE?

Given what we know about the 1070/1080 should I just get the FE or wait around and see what EVGA or someone is up to?

The fairly solid word on the street is that for the 1060 everything is releasing all at once and FE cards will be sold strictly through Nvidia and in limited quantities. That's good and a departure from the 1070/1080 release in many ways, however that doesnt tell us anything about actual pricing or availability... but we can be pretty sure there is actual stock available on day one (there is at least one picture of this too! wow!) even if it does sell out in one second.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Skuto posted:

I only see references to dynamic resolution scaling for DOOM.

This checkerboard rendering stuff is way neater. In stationary scenes you're going to get approximately 4k res, and with a lot of motion (where you can't see details anyway) it will be closer to 1440p. Shading runs at ~1/4 rate, everything else at 1/2 rate, and temporal AA stitches it to together to a 4k image. Note that on average it's going to look better than 1440p, which was the point of the original slide, I believe.

quote:

you're essentially getting a 1440p image's detail out of two 1080p images

Well, they're doing 1080p 2xMSAA renders, with the extra pixels from the MSAA recovered. So it's closer to stitching together 2x1440p renders to get a 2160p one, for the cost of running 1080p with 2xMSAA and some extra filters. So neat. I can see why Sony goes: talk to us and use this stuff!

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 18, 2016

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Meanwhile, I am trying to wrap my head around this:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-custom-model-round-up/

It's my first time building a system, so my head is spinning a little bit. Any advice on how to even approach choosing between reference, FE, and the array of custom models?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Enigma posted:

It's my first time building a system, so my head is spinning a little bit. Any advice on how to even approach choosing between reference, FE, and the array of custom models?
Probably the wrong thread for me to say this, but don't overthink it - wait til reviews come out, find one at the price point you're comfortable with, and read the reviews / this thread to make sure there isn't anything glaringly wrong. Unless you're doing some extreme OC'ing or have another reason to min/max there probably isn't going to be a big difference.

edit: Oh yeah and what Ninkobei said, make sure it fits your case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Enigma posted:

Honestly most of the cards will be limited by the actual chip rather than temps, so find the best priced/best looking card you can and go with that. Getting one with a huuuge 3-fan heatsink is the best bet if you want the quietest gaming. Make sure it will fit your case.