Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

My Lovely Horse posted:

Probably about the Muslims, though. Isn't "no-nonsense Ingenieur (FH)" what you get when you make a cut through the middle of the AfD?
From my experience, one doesn't exclude the other. The AfD would be acceptable if they had more intelligent people running it (like engineers because they know best).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

AfDs whole problem (from a not exploding into a rapidly expanding cloud of hot toxic splinters POV) is that they can't quite decide if they want to be a party of fed up middle class technocrats or völkische Nationalrevolutionäre.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 17, 2016

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Sereri posted:

IT people are probably just better at finding discussion boards with the same weird stuff they're into so it reinforces their beliefs. Who knows.

I'd forward the following hypothesis:

IT people and FH engineers find many recruits from a pool of people who do not belong to the old intellectual bourgeoisie and see these jobs as a mean for socio-economical uplifting. So they study something that enables them to make big bucks without encumbering them with too much senseless Allgemeinbildung. Unfortunately, dealing with codes and machinery isn't the same as dealing with words and ideas, so that you can observe the combination of well paid and highly trained people without much intellectual capacity. Of course you can find IT people and engineers who do like words and ideas, but you can do without and still be good at your job.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Einbauschrank posted:

IT people and FH engineers find many recruits from a pool of people who do not belong to the old intellectual bourgeoisie and see these jobs as a mean for socio-economical uplifting. So they study something that enables them to make big bucks without encumbering them with too much senseless Allgemeinbildung. Unfortunately, dealing with codes and machinery isn't the same as dealing with words and ideas, so that you can observe the combination of well paid and highly trained people without much intellectual capacity. Of course you can find IT people and engineers who do like words and ideas, but you can do without and still be good at your job.

I can confirm this.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Einbauschrank posted:

Das gleiche kann man für Lehramtsstudenten sagen, und erklärt auch, warum Lehrer ebenfalls eine der stärksten Berufsgruppen in dem Milieu sind.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Einbauschrank posted:

I detect a slight humanities bias, which is problematic.

IT and engineering degrees actually require some work and intellectual capacity to finish, compared to a humanities degree, where you can just bullshit your way through drunk. The humanities majors have their own share of morons too, for example, the fanatic anti-nuclear movement which is dominated by them. The truth is that everyone is an idiot in their own, special way.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
remember that Hitler was an artist

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Every field except my own is bad.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

waitwhatno posted:

IT and engineering degrees actually require some work and intellectual capacity to finish, compared to a humanities degree, where you can just bullshit your way through drunk.

For the record, everytime we get a smartass student trying to bullshit their way through anything, they invariably fail. This myth of humanities just being bullshit degrees for people who talk a lot without anything to say is idiotic and comes from people who look at something like academic philosophy and go, "they just sit there and talk! I can talk! I could totally ace this nonsense!", which is like looking at a CS degree and going, "all they do is hit buttons on their keyboard, I do that every day, I could totally do this!" This is going to blow your mind but all degrees need work, there is literally not a single degree at a german university you can simply bullshit your way through. The type of work differs and if you have moronic ideas about what type of work is ~*~real work~*~ then it will look to you like everyone else is doing it wrong.

Also every area has idiots with bad opinions.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

BabyFur Denny posted:

A failed artist. Who turned into a social engineer.

beer_war posted:

Every field except my own is bad.

It's not meant condescending. It's a shot at explaining why so many formally educated people believe bullshit. You could argue that many students of the humanities fall for the Marxist bullshit and are no better than Reichsbürger but at least their folly is established and somewhat socially accepted.

If students of the humanities had to explain technical stuff on their own many of them would come to stupid conclusions. Why shouldn't engineers and IT guys come to stupid conclusions when trying to explain humanity to themselves? It's not like mankind is less complex than Windows 10 or a gas turbine.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 17, 2016

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Einbauschrank posted:

It's not meant condescending. It's a shot to explain why so many formally educated people believe bullshit. You could argue that many students of the humanities fall for the Marxist bullshit and are no better than Reichsbürger but at least their folly is established and somewhat socially accepted.

Where are all those marxists in the humanities, I've never met one and I work in them

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

botany posted:

Where are all those marxists in the humanities, I've never met one and I work in them

I run into a lot of them, but I work in Colonial History. I can't tell about your field in your city, of course.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

botany posted:

there is literally not a single degree at a german university you can simply bullshit your way through.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Three years degree in "Körperpflege"(auf Lehramt)

http://www.tu-darmstadt.de/studieren/abschluesse/bachelor/koerperpflege-bed.de.jsp

Einbauschrank posted:

It's not meant condescending.

Yeah I know, I was just joking. Didn't want to start an academics war here( especially since everyone knows that Körperpflege is the best field anyway)

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

waitwhatno posted:

The truth is that everyone is an idiot in their own, special way.

The sooner everyone realizes this, the sooner we can get on with being humans

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

waitwhatno posted:

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Three years degree in "Körperpflege"(auf Lehramt)

http://www.tu-darmstadt.de/studieren/abschluesse/bachelor/koerperpflege-bed.de.jsp

Yeah, cell biology, toxicology, organic chemistry complete with lab hours is definitely something you can bullshit your way through you condescending idiot

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Einbauschrank posted:

You are half right. A lot of engineers are the children of engineers and small business owners. They bust their rear end through university or hochschule in return for a guaranteed job and good pay. They see this as just and right. They aren't interested in allgemeinbildung or other excuses as to why people are poor or unhappy with their station in life. If people have time to moan about these words and ideas then they have time to get off the couch and get a real education (in their field of engineering) and a real job (at their company). This leads to an entire class of people who think that the best way to deal with a protest is to use live ammo and the best way to deal with labor conflicts is to hire poles at 3 euros an hour.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

AAPsel posted:

You are half right. A lot of engineers are the children of engineers and small business owners. They bust their rear end through university or hochschule in return for a guaranteed job and good pay. They see this as just and right. They aren't interested in allgemeinbildung or other excuses as to why people are poor or unhappy with their station in life. If people have time to moan about these words and ideas then they have time to get off the couch and get a real education (in their field of engineering) and a real job (at their company). This leads to an entire class of people who think that the best way to deal with a protest is to use live ammo and the best way to deal with labor conflicts is to hire poles at 3 euros an hour.

That's normal engineers. In addition to that, FH engineers also have an inferiority complex due to their degrees not being considered equal and because they had to go the 2nd Bildungsweg.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

botany posted:

I had two marxist professors once who were from East Berlin and somehow ended up teaching history in Vienna, and their class was about the failure of the GDR, it was really interesting

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

AAPsel posted:

Though they have a point. I never understood people from a fragile background who wanted to climb the social ladder by studying Komparatistik or Kunstgeschichte. I respect both fields (as much as somebody who hasn't studied them can claim that), but if I wanted to claw my way out of a plattensiedlung and had not been enticed with cultural or social capital I'd not choose humanities. Or rather: I'd not choose humanities if I either didn't care about being part of the Bildungsprekatiat or wasn't sure I was good enough at it and had the savvy to network (social capital!) my way into a good position.

So if you choose humanities stick to your choice and don't blame society and capitalism when your bachelor in Intersectional Feminism doesn't earn you bucks.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

waitwhatno posted:

That's normal engineers. In addition to that, FH engineers also have an inferiority complex due to their degrees not being considered equal and because they had to go the 2nd Bildungsweg.

Oh yeah, at that level there are a disturbing amount of people who come straight from the farmlands and went for engineering because they like the noise of the trecker treck. Don't expect them to have a good opinion about anything ever.

you feelin fucky fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 18, 2016

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Einbauschrank posted:

Maybe the Holocaust was a performance piece

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

BabyFur Denny posted:

Hitler war hauptberuflich ein Sandler in Wien. Das mit der Malerei hat erst recht spät gereicht um mehr schlecht als recht davon zu leben, es war nie seine einzige Einkommensquelle. Die Waisenrente vom Tod seines Vaters hat ihn länger über Wasser gehalten, sowie Schnorren bei Tante und geistig behinderter Schwester. In München war er auch als Maler tätig, aber nicht allzu lange. Dann kam der Krieg.

Hitler war ziemlich zufrieden beim Militär und sah seine Zukunft dort. Kam aber anders, und im Zuge der Wirren nach 1919 hat er als "Volksredner" Karriere gemacht. In der Phase hat wurden einige reiche Leute auf ihn aufmerksam, die ihn versorgten. Der Rest ist Geschichte.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

JaucheCharly posted:

Hitler war hauptberuflich ein Sandler in Wien. Das mit der Malerei hat erst recht spät gereicht um mehr schlecht als recht davon zu leben, es war nie seine einzige Einkommensquelle. Die Waisenrente vom Tod seines Vaters hat ihn länger über Wasser gehalten, sowie Schnorren bei Tante und geistig behinderter Schwester. In München war er auch als Maler tätig, aber nicht allzu lange. Dann kam der Krieg.

Hitler war ziemlich zufrieden beim Militär und sah seine Zukunft dort. Kam aber anders, und im Zuge der Wirren nach 1919 hat er als "Volksredner" Karriere gemacht. In der Phase hat wurden einige reiche Leute auf ihn aufmerksam, die ihn versorgten. Der Rest ist Geschichte.

Also ein Parasit?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Also ein Parasit?

Parasitismus ist Patriotismus.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Also ein Parasit?

Parasit ist ein unschönes Wort. Lebenskünstler ist besser.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Also ein Parasit?

Zecke, Ausrichtung rechts. Hatte ja sogar einen Schäferhund, wie es sich gehört.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Well, looks like refugees can actually be terrorists - who would have thought.

http://www.welt.de/politik/deutschland/article157144611/Handgemalte-IS-Flagge-bei-Wuerzburg-Angreifer-gefunden.html

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Terrorist is such a strong word. IS has become more and more a brand. Every mentally deranged loser - and there are probably a few among the migrants - can claim to belong to IS and make his crime appear to follow some ideology instead of being an egoistical power trip. At least even newspapers like Zeit and Süddeutsche clearly stated that he was an Afghan immigrant, perhaps their uncritical stance has been revised under the bludgeoning of reality.

As the perp was living in a German foster family we'll hopefully find out more about his motives. Much like I am still waiting for new leads on the money trail of the Lorry Jihadist in France.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Lmao nice strawman. I don't think any sane person doubted that there would be terrorists among the refugees. The question always was whether the rate of terrorists would be appreciably higher than among the general population. The jury is still out on that one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Don't engage GaussianCopula's posts on his own terms. His whole gimmick is being the first to post news with as bigoted a comment as he can get away with in order to color and dominate the tone of the discussion. There's no reason to make this debate a reaction to someone who wants to trigger the most partisan reactions possible. Guy needs to regain some ground after the whole "unlawful eviction" thing where he tried to bait us with lies.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Don't engage GaussianCopula's posts on his own terms. His whole gimmick is being the first to post news with as bigoted a comment as he can get away with in order to color and dominate the tone of the discussion. There's no reason to make this debate a reaction to someone who wants to trigger the most partisan reactions possible. Guy needs to regain some ground after the whole "unlawful eviction" thing where he tried to bait us with lies.

The eviction was not necessarily unlawful at the time it happened. They just lost in court because no one showed up. But moreover the case shows how our system is supposed to work and that no group needs to resort to violence to protect their perceived rights. Or are you an advocate of lynch mobs like we see them in Turkey at the moment?

Ghost Farts posted:

Lmao nice strawman. I don't think any sane person doubted that there would be terrorists among the refugees. The question always was whether the rate of terrorists would be appreciably higher than among the general population. The jury is still out on that one.

There were people who said "ISIS will not have to use refugee routes because they have better means to reach Europe". This has proven to be absolutely false.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

quote:

In der mündlichen Verhandlung stellte Richterin Nicola Herbst fest, dass der Hauseigentümer vor dem Polizeieinsatz am 22. Juni weder einen Räumungstitel vorgelegt noch einen Gerichtsvollzieher bei der Vollstreckung mitgebracht hatte. Damit sei das Vorgehen der Lafone Investments und der Polizei rechtlich nicht gedeckt gewesen, sagte Herbst.
http://www.rbb-online.de/politik/beitrag/2016/07/rigaer-strasse-berlin-raeumung-landgericht.html

GaussianCopula posted:

Or are you an advocate of lynch mobs like we see them in Turkey at the moment?
I see what you're doing - I either agree with you even on a minor point, or I'm supporting the worst example for the opposite side you can think of, i.e. Turkish lynch mobs, even though that example is far worse than the opposite side we actually see in the situation at hand, i.e. German anarchists; and you word it in such a way that it allows you to equate the two. I refuse to accept that connection as a premise, or that these are the only two standing points one can adopt. Not playing that game.

You also claim that the legal decision was faulty at the same time you're claiming this is how the system is supposed to work, how does that work out?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It occurs to me that finding a handmade IS flag with someone indicates that they don't have the contacts to get an official one. It's like having to make your own swastika flag.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

I see what you're doing - I either agree with you even on a minor point, or I'm supporting the worst example for the opposite side you can think of, i.e. Turkish lynch mobs, even though that example is far worse than the opposite side we actually see in the situation at hand, i.e. German anarchists; and you word it in such a way that it allows you to equate the two. I refuse to accept that connection as a premise, or that these are the only two standing points one can adopt. Not playing that game.

I grant you that the situation in Turkey is more drastic, but in the end it's people taking matters into their own hands without respect for due process and the law.

My Lovely Horse posted:

You also claim that the legal decision was faulty at the same time you're claiming this is how the system is supposed to work, how does that work out?

The legal decision itself is not faulty, but it does not allow us to judge whether the eviction was illegal in the first place, because it was a "Versäumnisurteil". If the eviction was legal, the acts of terrorism could no longer be linked to lynch justice and would have been simple terrorism.

My Lovely Horse posted:

It occurs to me that finding a handmade IS flag with someone indicates that they don't have the contacts to get an official one. It's like having to make your own swastika flag.

I doubt you can just order an IS flag through official channels from ISIS in Syria or Iraq.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Do you really think that ISIS sent a 14 years old Afghani back in 2013/14 to Germany with the explicit order to gently caress up some Asian tourists in a regional train three years later with an axe while proudly displaying his crayon-painted homemade ISIS flag?

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
Goddamn, IS with the real deep cover poo poo, we never stood a chance.

Alternatively, yes, terrorists could come in with refugees, but they can also take alternate routes, which is basically what BKA and BND have been saying all along. Radicalization can just as easily happen here. Either way, the threat of terrorism does not constitute a reason constrict refugee flow, which is really what this entire discussion is all about anyway. You could look at other reasons, terrorism isn't it.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

System Metternich posted:

Do you really think that ISIS sent a 14 years old Afghani back in 2013/14 to Germany with the explicit order to gently caress up some Asian tourists in a regional train three years later with an axe while proudly displaying his crayon-painted homemade ISIS flag?

There are many "minors" and "Syrians" coming as "refugees" to Germany because coming as anything else will diminish your chances of staying. In this case I'd not be surprised if the bloke was actually in his early or mid 20ies.

Edit: But I don't think he was sent as a sleeper. It's rather that Islam offers a good redemption narrative.

Einbauschrank fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jul 19, 2016

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Obviously deranged kid who wanted to be ISIS.
Probably treated badly as a refugee (it's Bavaria after all), radicalized himself or did it beforehand.

The real ISIS attacks we have seen have been devastating and well executed. Probably also coming from a relatively small group of people in Europe. ISIS might condone young guys trying to be heros abroad, but I doubt they had anything to do with this actively.

The main thing is that the guy couldn't even get hold of a gun. This is a good thing for us, because "if everyone would have a gun in arr country" then this could have been ugly.
Inshallah all victims will survive.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Einbauschrank posted:

There are many "minors" and "Syrians" or coming as "refugees" to Germany because coming as anything else will diminish your chances of staying. In this case I'd not be surprised if the bloke was actually in his early or mid 20ies.

Edit: But I don't think he was sent as a sleeper. It's rather that Islam offers a good redemption narrative.

What do you mean with "redemption narrative"? Because that's in itself hardly unique to Islam.

e:

Boner Slaem posted:

Probably treated badly as a refugee (it's Bavaria after all)

:rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

GaussianCopula posted:

There were people who said "ISIS will not have to use refugee routes because they have better means to reach Europe". This has proven to be absolutely false.

This is factually incorrect, the best kind of incorrect. People were saying that the refugee route is one of the worst ways to organize a terrorist plot and that almost all attacks have been perpetrated by citizens who were born in Europe or have been living here for a very long time.

I'm genuinely surprised that it took that long for something to happen in Germany. And then it happened with an axe ... a cheap souvenir fantasy axe ... with dragons and tits on it. You can't make that poo poo up.