Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I haven't touched the PTR, but is the defense matrix buff really that significant that it apparently has boosted public perception of DVa from "100% useless trash" to "ultra good"?

I've always felt that DVa is a lot better than she was given credit for and wonder how much of this is just people finally giving her a chance. I have my second highest winrate with her at 73.9%, only beaten by Winston who's cheating because I've barely played him and he has a small sample size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Vargs posted:

I haven't touched the PTR, but is the defense matrix buff really that significant that it apparently has boosted public perception of DVa from "100% useless trash" to "ultra good"?

I've always felt that DVa is a lot better than she was given credit for and wonder how much of this is just people finally giving her a chance. I have my second highest winrate with her at 73.9%, only beaten by Winston who's cheating because I've barely played him and he has a small sample size.

Nah Defense Matrix boost is pretty big. She's now extremely hard to kill for most characters provided she uses it well. For example, if she times it so she's firing while they're reloading and matrixing when they're not she can take anyone.

Beam characters still melt her but they've managed to eliminate her biggest failing in a manner that rewards skilful play and that's a cool thing.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Canemacar posted:

I'd like it if they switched gold medals from elims to final blows. When I feel smug about how much better I am than my team, I want it to be cause I earned it!
"Killstealing" is the dumbest goddamn thing in competitive video games and I'm actually really glad that Overwatch deemphasizes final blows as much as it does because it means people don't think KSing is a thing.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Vargs posted:

The defense matrix change is ridiculously huge even if it doesn't seem that way.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So Sombra might be stealth based, or there will probably be a hero in the future that can hide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpwiS8r1nC4

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Defense Matrix went from "kinda okay ability with a cripplingly long cooldown" to Reinhardt's Shield Lite, for the most part.

And the increase in her mech's ultimate charge generation and reduced detonation time means you'll be getting way more opportunities to actually kill (not disrupt for a few seconds) the enemy team than ever before.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I'd be happier if Sombra's gimmick was on getting more information about the enemy team's movements instead of stealth. It'd make widowmaker feel much less necessary.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ddraig posted:

So Sombra might be stealth based, or there will probably be a hero in the future that can hide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpwiS8r1nC4

Yeah, someone's been datamining dialogue for a couple days now. There's a lot of incidental dialogue that hints at some sort of stealth mechanic based something along with some new levels, and also some weirder stuff like the announcer/Athena issuing various alerts like "weapons discharge in ordnance bay" and talking about data being transferred. Could be the groundwork for some sort of "campaign" style assault map maybe, who knows.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Once, about a month ago, I was in a game where one player got 10 commendations at the end of the map. I think it was a clutch mercy rez or something. That was the best I've seen until tonight.

Tonight, I was playing as Symmetra and set up on the right-hand entrance in Anubis. Had a full car was going and the ENTIRE enemy team rushed straight into it. Had a five-person kill streak within 10 seconds of the map starting. At the end, all 12 players voted - for me. Highest I've ever seen. Really had a ton of fun with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4MnOS-hhnk

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Nitramster posted:

Torb is great against teams that don't communicate where the turret is. Even lovely players that talk can at least shoot it.

I've tried using Torb in ranked matches a couple times and the turret is usually good for 1 or 2 kills then gets destroyed and then you're useless because you usually don't have the time to build another turret if they got past your front line anyways.

Every game i have played I seem to be the only one on comms, There was one, where I was stood on the payload in Kings row, where there was me (lucio) a hanzo and a bastion stood on the payload, and the Torb was screaming in our ears "MOOOOOVE MOOOOVE MOOOOOVE you idiot europeans" over and over again

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

khy posted:

Once, about a month ago, I was in a game where one player got 10 commendations at the end of the map. I think it was a clutch mercy rez or something. That was the best I've seen until tonight.

Tonight, I was playing as Symmetra and set up on the right-hand entrance in Anubis. Had a full car was going and the ENTIRE enemy team rushed straight into it. Had a five-person kill streak within 10 seconds of the map starting. At the end, all 12 players voted - for me. Highest I've ever seen. Really had a ton of fun with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4MnOS-hhnk

Yeah cant watch it - set private

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm sad they're adding a stealth character. Spies were the shittiest part of TF2.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

There's this weird prevalence in my games of reinhardt and torb stacks on defense, and it's turning every single attack round into a giant loving slog. I can only pick pharah and put 20k damage into the enemy team over the round so many times before I'm just tapping out to go play warframe or something.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I thought Blizzard had said that they didn't want to add a stealth character?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Star posted:

I thought Blizzard had said that they didn't want to add a stealth character?

They said the original roster didn't have anyone with invisibility because they found invisibility hard to balance and annoying to play against. They did not rule out other possible stealth mechanics, and its possible in the year-ish since the original roster, they've come up with a way to handle invisibility that they like better. But Sombra is probably stealthy in some way, and I expect we'll see how sometime soon.

My best guess is they aren't going to give invisibility to an Attack role character, because that's where it's super annoying and where invisibility always seems to go in these sorts of games. A Support who uses invisibility as an escape mechanic, or a Tank who uses invisibility to distract the enemy by getting to really annoying places, or a Defense who uses invisibility to zone an area safely all sound like way more fun + interesting ways to handle it, than having an Attacker who cloaks behind you then does massive damage and kills you.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Nerf Genji

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
I swear I can't land all 3 shurikans on widows mercys or tracers at any point, their hit boxes are rail thin.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So am I wrong, or does this game take loving ages to queue? (...and then naturally ditches you onto the team with the most drooling retards, but still, ages to queue.)

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jul 18, 2016

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Gonkish posted:

So am I wrong, or does this game take loving ages to queue? (...and then naturally ditches you onto the team with the most drooling retards, but still, ages to queue.)

sounds normal for the EU servers

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonkish posted:

(...and then naturally ditches you onto the team with the most drooling retards, but still, ages to queue.)

It puts you where you belong. :)

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Instead of a stealth character I think it would be awesome to have a web-based hero. Like you can shoot web lines from your hands to swing around the map as a mobility skill. Also you could use them to web enemies in cocoons to trap them, or shoot the webs like bullets. Also you're super strong and agile, and you have lots of witty lines. Still haven't come up with a good name though.

I've also been mulling over the concept of a melee hero with metal claws that come out of their hands but I don't have that one fleshed out yet. Kind of just came to me.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
just curious, do europeans get a reprieve from russians or do they infest their server in ow too

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Blizzard please, it's not too late to avoid putting in a stealth class. I know you made the mistake of putting in snipers 3 times somehow but don't make the same mistake a fourth time with a stealth class :negative:

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Tom Gorman posted:

Instead of a stealth character I think it would be awesome to have a web-based hero. Like you can shoot web lines from your hands to swing around the map as a mobility skill. Also you could use them to web enemies in cocoons to trap them, or shoot the webs like bullets. Also you're super strong and agile, and you have lots of witty lines. Still haven't come up with a good name though.

I've also been mulling over the concept of a melee hero with metal claws that come out of their hands but I don't have that one fleshed out yet. Kind of just came to me.

While that does sound ultra cool I'm not sold on the idea of the Web trap. This game already has more than enough cc like that.

That Cliffy B game lawbreakers has a grapple swingy class and it looks like the only fun part of it

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Macaluso posted:

Blizzard please, it's not too late to avoid putting in a stealth class. I know you made the mistake of putting in snipers 3 times somehow but don't make the same mistake a fourth time with a stealth class :negative:

Hey, at least they got it right on their third go, Ana rules.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Relin posted:

just curious, do europeans get a reprieve from russians or do they infest their server in ow too

Plenty of Russians in the EU servers.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Blizzard really needs to drop in another healer so Symmetra can be moved back to defense.

And to stay in line with alternate class styles like the healer-sniper, it should be a Healer-Spy that jumps out of stealth and screams "AHA!" as he heals you. Bonus health if the friendly player is startled.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Thor-Stryker posted:

Blizzard really needs to drop in another healer so Symmetra can be moved back to defense.

And to stay in line with alternate class styles like the healer-sniper, it should be a Healer-Spy that jumps out of stealth and screams "AHA!" as he heals you. Bonus health if the friendly player is startled.

Put phoenix wright into the game. His ult has him yell OBJECTION and immediately stops an enemy ult. Also stops players from rezzing via mercy.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

It's hard to consider win rates vs rank between people because ten leaver games ending in victory can basically mean you didn't gain five or six ranks that you should have.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

Tom Gorman posted:

they should release a really strong black dude who throws cars and has a massive aoe ground punch with no recharge time that knocks everyone in its radius to the ground.

he'd be a melee hero, but still use his chain belt to roadhog people over to him before drop kicking them in the face for like 10 million damage

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nickhimself posted:

they should release a really strong black dude who throws cars and has a massive aoe ground punch with no recharge time that knocks everyone in its radius to the ground.

he'd be a melee hero, but still use his chain belt to roadhog people over to him before drop kicking them in the face for like 10 million damage

Luke Cage and Spiderman would be cool characters especially if I can just crawl and swing around

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fibby Boy posted:

Put phoenix wright into the game. His ult has him yell OBJECTION and immediately stops an enemy ult. Also stops players from rezzing via mercy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HF3oDRviADo

Dren fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 18, 2016

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Oh, thanks, Blizz, I really missed stair-stabbing.

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't outright do Spy tho, invis as a defense thing could work

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
how about movement via this

quote:

The Vertical Maneuvering Equipment (立体機動装置 Rittai kidō sōchi?, also called Three Dimensional Maneuver Gear or Omni-Directional Mobility Gear), is a set of equipment developed by humans that allows great mobility when facing the Titans in combat. The equipment allows the user to fight in a 3D space as opposed to a 2D one. The equipment itself takes the form of a body harness that encompasses much of the body below the neck.

with Weapon that m1 produces a shock wave that damages enemies close to the character with an ult of the oposite of zarya's ult so pushes people away not sucks towards. (push people off the point/payload or just push them off the map) and an M2 of a projectile that does small shock waves where it lands

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Someone in that YT video comments suggested that Sombra could move through shadows. I think that'd be cool. Maybe she could make more shadows and dive into them, and maybe an opposing Sombra could make different shadows that block HER shadows. I think we have something here, guys.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Verranicus posted:

I'm sad they're adding a stealth character. Spies were the shittiest part of TF2.

Spy and Pyro were my favourite TF2 characters :laugh:

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Dias posted:

Someone in that YT video comments suggested that Sombra could move through shadows. I think that'd be cool. Maybe she could make more shadows and dive into them, and maybe an opposing Sombra could make different shadows that block HER shadows. I think we have something here, guys.

Maybe the shadows could be different colours and you can only move through shadows that are your colour.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
I'm glad there aren't any stealth characters. Just look at TF2, where people are constantly shooting air and their own teammates out of paranoia just because of a single stealth class.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Dugong posted:

Spy and Pyro were my favourite TF2 characters :laugh:

I too was pretty bad at TF2.

Ddraig posted:

Maybe the shadows could be different colours and you can only move through shadows that are your colour.

Oooh, and we could give her some sort of melee weapon that produced these shadows when she moves with it. This is money, Blizz.

edit: also they already have the best Spy, it's called McCree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy
Crazy thought, what if you couldn't switch heroes in overtime?