Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Here's a version in blue.

Hm yes now what about the hat design

E: if you arent on groupme what is wrong with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
So I just joined the groupme. This will be my first Gen Con anyone have advice for a newbie?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

frgildan posted:

So I just joined the groupme. This will be my first Gen Con anyone have advice for a newbie?

Don't forget to plan for snack/meal/refreshment breaks. It sounds like that's something obvious, but it's really not.

Don't stay at a table/event if you're not having fun. There's too much good gaming to be had to sit at a bad table/demo/event.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.
Yea I've signed up mostly to do ffg lcg tournaments but I have so downtime to wander around.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Bring a battery pack/case for your phone. Especially if you're using GroupMe. We tend to be chatty especially during the con.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

frgildan posted:

Quarex covers a lot in the OP, it's definitely worth reading.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Most of my newbie advice is food based

Lots of people will play up the RAM. IMO its crowded and takes an age to get a table or food and its mediocre at best. The North Point Tavern is my secret GenCon spot, the best nachos I've ever had. There's a great Indian place just 5 minutes from the convention center called Haveli. The food trucks are pretty good but get my order wrong or forget me basically every time I go there so ymmv.

Don't buy the board game library pass. Its not worth it unless you have a group of 4+ who are DEF. gonna play board games all week with you

Generic tickets can be used to get into almost any game, if you see a game that says its full but sounds good, drop by anyway, you never know when the GM doesn't give a poo poo or someone drops out.

The GM On Demand games are amazing and spending an entire day doing them is a good use of your time

If you bring a roller bag I will kill you.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Leave a block of time on Thursday (preferred) or Friday to hit the vendor hall. Its at its least crowded these days and if you are after uncommon or used stuff, like I often am, booths will still have it in stock.

I personally love the RAM, but that's because I hit it at like 2pm, grab a seat at the bar and have a beer or two as a mid-day recharge while watching whatever nerd film they have up. Its close enough to do that and no wait if you are by yourself. I dunno, my favorite place in general for Gen Con and I've been to quite a few others. Its also the first place I go to after getting my badge on wednesday just to buy one of their Gen Con specific growlers and take beer back to the hotel room. Not a huge fan of Scotty's myself but it'll do.

Make sure you go to the auction and at check out the consignment shop at least once. Buy something you have never heard of for a buck and try it out. Back in the 90s I would sometimes spend entire days in the auction, awesome times. In many ways the auction is my favorite thing at Gen Con, but I don't spend nearly as much time there as I should. I've been playing too many games there in recent years.

Be sure to try new games and demo stuff in the dealer hall, always fun.

If you need a short break the 1 hour speed paints or the paint in take is another good way to relax without having to head back to the room.

I think everyone should try True Dungeon at least once in their life if they go to Gen Con, Who's Your Con or Gamehole Con. Yes its sold out but you can go there with generics and wait for a little bit and should be able to go in to a group for a no show or someone who needs to dump their ticket or fill a run.

Food carts are over rated in my experience, but then again they are all over Philadelphia. They just take too long because everyone wants to eat at them and are overpriced for what you get.

If you like Mayfair games, you can play 5 of their games in a couple hours and get a small prize along with a 50% off coupon for one of their games. Its another nice way to relax if you need something to do and want a cheap new game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I didn't touch a food cart last year. If it's like last year, you can usually find better food if you're willing to make a short hike out of GenCon's immediate blast radius.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The food carts supposedly, according to the official gen con forums, are subject to menu limits opposed by Gen Con. If you didn't know, Hot Box Pizza was the official pizza of Gen Con, and apparently that meant last year that none of the other food carts, even those that were pizza carts, could sell pizza. They had to just make do with calzones or whatever. Seems odd to me but another bizarre food cart thing there. Hot Box is the official pizza again this year, hopefully they don't start spreading that sponsor level to other foods.

Radio Free Walrus
May 16, 2015
Do Gencon for TD, WhosYourCon TD is kind of a crapshoot. Almost everyone who goes to that for the TD is already super loaded with equipment, so unless they're chill and are willing to outfit you with gear you won't be able to contribute.
It's fun when they give you the equipment to play some wacky prestige class, less fun when you're walking around in reds and everyone else has dropped multiple thousands of dollars.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Don't buy the board game library pass. Its not worth it unless you have a group of 4+ who are DEF. gonna play board games all week with you

I attend with one other friend and we always get passes for all time slots. We've met some interesting people over the years, it's fun to try whatever game we can find on the shelves, and it's a place we know we can go to play our purchases. We've also assembled a few goon games there. It's the only thing I buy specific tickets for.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Kaddish posted:

I attend with one other friend and we always get passes for all time slots. We've met some interesting people over the years, it's fun to try whatever game we can find on the shelves, and it's a place we know we can go to play our purchases. We've also assembled a few goon games there. It's the only thing I buy specific tickets for.

I used to get library passes, and it's great if you've got one or two people for a game and want to fill a group, or if you're just looking to kill time and play a game with some random people, because they provide little flags you can set up for "We need people" or "We need a game". If you strictly want to play with goons, you can use the groupme for the same thing. Just watch for when someone posts that they're in the game hall looking for people, or you can post something like "hey, got a new game and I want to play with some peeps."

One of my first Gen Cons, someone bought Tales of the Arabian Nights (Backno, maybe?) and I decided to be teacher/designated reader, and it was pretty sweet.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

frgildan posted:

Slack is better [ducks]

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

It may be. But everyone is already fully entrenched in the GroupMe ecosystem. CHANGE SCARES US

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CellBlock posted:

One of my first Gen Cons, someone bought Tales of the Arabian Nights (Backno, maybe?) and I decided to be teacher/designated reader, and it was pretty sweet.

If you played it in the hallway that was me. Speaking of me, uh, I won't be able to attend this year because I'm moving to northeast Ohio next week which removes me from my usual carpool group. Have fun everyone!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Jesus. My phone is so old that it's not compatible with GroupMe. :cripes:

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Get with the times, old man. I guess you can use me as your info drone while we're bumming around.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Countblanc posted:

If you played it in the hallway that was me. Speaking of me, uh, I won't be able to attend this year because I'm moving to northeast Ohio next week which removes me from my usual carpool group. Have fun everyone!

On the other hand, I'll have to face you in BattleCON sometime in the relatively near future!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

On the other hand, I'll have to face you in BattleCON sometime in the relatively near future!

This is true.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

CellBlock posted:

Not I, have never played Tales actually.

As for generic tips for Gen Con newbies (too lazy to properly quote you):

1) most of the time it is worth walking 2 or 3 blocks further for food/drink. When the RAM and the like will have 2+ hours waits, you can walk into another spot and sit right down. The not so super secret place is Loughmiller's. Couple years ago no one would be there but Goons and locals who had nothing to do with Gen Con. Now more people have been going and they have been making an effort to get con people in the door.

2) Pack a water bottle and snacks. The convention center has filtered water stations all over so use em. As for the snacks things like nuts, dried fruit, etc are wonderful because they will keep your energy up + make you random friends when you offer them to people at your table

3) Wear comfortable shoes. You are going to be walking multiple miles every single day. If you don't normally walk on a day to day basic, try and put a little bit of time into it now. Not saying go try to run a marathon, but getting off your rear end for a little bit will make your trip a whole lot easier.

4) Going with 3, get a comfortable backpack/messenger bag. This doesn't mean just tossing on your back and thinking that good enough. You will be wearing this thing for extended periods of time and you will be come intimately familiar with all the spots it digs in, gets to hot, etc. Also DO NOT carry everything with you all the time. There will be grognards all over the place with giant loving rolling bags full of poo poo taking up all the space. Don't be one of these people.

5) The 3-2-1 rule. 3 hours of sleep, 2 meals, 1 shower each day. Between all the walking you're going to get hot and sweaty. There are already a bunch of nasty mother fuckers that stink up the place, don't be part of that group.

6) Don't hesitate to ask in GroupMe what people are up to. This will be my 3rd Gen Con where I have zero things scheduled and just show up to do cool things with goons.

I will be working at the Slugfest Games booth all day Thursday and the beginning of Friday so feel free to drop by and watch me demo Red Dragon Inn for the thousandth time.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Backno posted:

I will be working at the Slugfest Games booth all day Thursday and the beginning of Friday so feel free to drop by and watch me demo Red Dragon Inn for the thousandth time.

I've always wanted to try Red Dragon Inn, but never have. Hopefully you don't mind a goon begging you for a demo. :3:

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

Agrias120 posted:

I've always wanted to try Red Dragon Inn, but never have. Hopefully you don't mind a goon begging you for a demo. :3:

Not at all. It is one of my favorite games to demo for people. It's also really good for people who are still dipping their toes into gaming that isn't Risk or Monopoly.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Can't make it this year. Pity request for somebody to buy a copy of the dice tower blood rage promo and mail it to me so I don't have to pay $50 on eBay?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Can't make it this year. Pity request for somebody to buy a copy of the dice tower blood rage promo and mail it to me so I don't have to pay $50 on eBay?

If you're on GroupMe send me a private message on there.

edit: or on here, wherever. I'll help out

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 20, 2016

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Ilor posted:

Jesus. My phone is so old that it's not compatible with GroupMe. :cripes:

You can do GroupMe via SMS as well. You'll just miss out on pictures. And you better have an unlimited texting plan.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

fordan posted:

You can do GroupMe via SMS as well. You'll just miss out on pictures. And you better have an unlimited texting plan.

You don't want to miss out on the pictures. (Or maybe you do, if Velma from Scooby-Doo isn't your thing.)

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
What's the best way to get to the con site from the airport?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Shuttle if your hotel offers it, otherwise try to split a cab with someone. You can also take the go shuttle for $10 but I highly recommend you pre-buy your ticket for a specific time so you get on the bus. I see tons of people just line up for that shuttle and they get on after ticket holders for a specific time so if you don't pre-buy your ticket you could be waiting for quite a while. FYI taking a cab by yourself is at least $30 so if you can split it with one other person you are almost at the same price as the Go shuttle.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
We used a lot of Uber last year. The cab from the airport was like 25 bucks while Uber was about half for the same distance with friendlier drivers.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Here's a version in blue.

Has anyone done "Gygaxian Nationalism"?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Uber will likely have surge pricing the entire weekend, they did last year.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Yeah I was just thinking about how much Uber will be raking in that weekend.
Also holy crap just 2 weeks + a few hours until I'm driving to Indy.
SO HYPE

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.

nesbit37 posted:

Shuttle if your hotel offers it, otherwise try to split a cab with someone. You can also take the go shuttle for $10 but I highly recommend you pre-buy your ticket for a specific time so you get on the bus. I see tons of people just line up for that shuttle and they get on after ticket holders for a specific time so if you don't pre-buy your ticket you could be waiting for quite a while. FYI taking a cab by yourself is at least $30 so if you can split it with one other person you are almost at the same price as the Go shuttle.

anyone have experience estimating the whole "my flight gets here at this time, when do I schedule my shuttle ticket" thing? We're using the go shuttle for the first time this year and I'm worried if our flight is delayed or I time things wrong we'll be poo poo out of luck.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Neveth posted:

anyone have experience estimating the whole "my flight gets here at this time, when do I schedule my shuttle ticket" thing? We're using the go shuttle for the first time this year and I'm worried if our flight is delayed or I time things wrong we'll be poo poo out of luck.

two years ago our flight was a little late so we missed the ride we scheduled for. They just let us skip the line of the unticketed and get on with the next shuttle that came in.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Neveth posted:

Indy airport isn't very big. I scheduled mine for 45 minutes after I'm supposed to touch down.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS
The Indianapolis Airport is actually really well laid out. Giving yourself 45 min sounds about right just to cover all your bases.

Neveth
Aug 22, 2011

Oh hello, delicious friend.

nesbit37 posted:

two years ago our flight was a little late so we missed the ride we scheduled for. They just let us skip the line of the unticketed and get on with the next shuttle that came in.

Kaddish posted:

Indy airport isn't very big. I scheduled mine for 45 minutes after I'm supposed to touch down.

Backno posted:

The Indianapolis Airport is actually really well laid out. Giving yourself 45 min sounds about right just to cover all your bases.

Awesome, 45 min it is, thanks!

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Last year I pretty much signed up after I landed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

My podcast recorded a new Gen Con survival guide. This year it's only 30 minutes long and only mentions the "You need to shower" thing once.

• Locked thread