Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Antti posted:

Again, not impossible, but stupid, ridiculous, implausible, etc.

As stupid, ridiculous and implausible as appointing Boris Johnson foreign secretary and abolishing the climate change department?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

waitwhatno posted:

As stupid, ridiculous and implausible as appointing Boris Johnson foreign secretary and abolishing the climate change department?

No, even more stupid, ridiculous, and implausible. In comparison those are pretty garden variety stupid.

As I was trying to point out in that post, I am not saying this poo poo can't happen, because so much poo poo is happening even as we speak, it's that there's no "plan" for it because for the past 60-70 years just making those plans would've been impossible, which is completely separate from something like "the government didn't have a Brexit plan."

I don't plan for my mother suddenly deciding to axe murder me when I go see her. If I showed up carrying a gun and a suit of armour she'd be upset. If my mother was flipping a coin to decide whether to axe murder me and I was made aware of it, then, yes, I'd tool up.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Yinlock posted:

yes let's make energy, industry and business the same department, how could this possibly go wrong
I think I know what the business plan is.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
I too have played Tropico 5

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Antti posted:

"In case of Gay Black Hitler, break glass"

look Chuka has his problems but I don't think he's Hitler

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Antti posted:

Again, not impossible, but stupid, ridiculous, implausible, etc.
ie its definitely going to happen given the last few weeks

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry guys, Australia to the rescue: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36818055

Australia makes up about 0.5% of UK's imports and 1.2% of exports (same as Poland), so it's totally going to make Brexit work!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

They could adopt Australia's immigration model and send all immigrants to some godforsaken island... wait.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Antti posted:

They could adopt Australia's immigration model and send all immigrants to some godforsaken island... wait.

Finally a use for the Falklands

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Don't worry guys, Australia to the rescue: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-36818055

Australia makes up about 0.5% of UK's imports and 1.2% of exports (same as Poland), so it's totally going to make Brexit work!

I can't wait for Australia to be providing 100% of the UK's import and export market via air traffic, it's not like we needed that environment thing anyway

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Angepain posted:

I can't wait for Australia to be providing 100% of the UK's import and export market via air traffic, it's not like we needed that environment thing anyway

Instead of french cheeses, iberic ham and belgian chocolate, I guess you guys will have to make do with uhhhh snake jerky and kangaroo meat? I have no idea what people eat in Australia but I'm guessing it contains poison.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Pochoclo posted:

Instead of french cheeses, iberic ham and belgian chocolate, I guess you guys will have to make do with uhhhh snake jerky and kangaroo meat? I have no idea what people eat in Australia but I'm guessing it contains poison.

Mutton owns.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

we'll just open the box and it'll be full of poisonous spiders. the spiders immediately run to all corners of the room and out the window and begin wildly reproducing immediately. little note at the bottom reading "see how you like it, fuckos"

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Pochoclo posted:

Pretty sure they exclusively eat BBQ shrimp.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
A lot of people here are assuming, incorrectly, that the eu is some monolithic powerful entity rather than being a shambling mess of countries who will never come to an agreement about how to handle brexit and is on the verge of complete collapse themselves.

sassassin posted:

This is the kind of alarmist rubbish these threads could really do without. The insane 'sky is falling' rhetoric is really tiresome.

Look at the climate thread, there's just a lot of posters who mistake hopeless depression for knowing what the hell they are talking about.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

tsa posted:

A lot of people here are assuming, incorrectly, that the eu is some monolithic powerful entity rather than being a shambling mess of countries who will never come to an agreement about how to handle brexit and is on the verge of complete collapse themselves.

Look at the climate thread, there's just a lot of posters who mistake hopeless depression for knowing what the hell they are talking about.

That's funny, because they seemed to be pretty clearly united on the fact that no "cherry picking" would be allowed.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

tsa posted:

The EU has been 'on the verge of complete collapse' for years now. If it wasn't over Brexit, then it was over the refugee issue or the eurocrisis. But it will endure, because really, what are you going to replace it with?

Also, the EU being disunited over how to handle Brexit is actually bad for the UK. Britain needs a deal, and needs it within 2 years of article 50 being triggered, or its ability to export will be sharply curtailed ( WTO warns on tortuous Brexit trade talks, FT) and tariffs will have to be imposed. If you have an EU which cannot reach common ground between its 27 member states, who need to reach a qualified majority for the exit deal, and where in all likelihood everyone will have a veto on a post-Brexit trade agreement, that means the chances of getting that deal is lower than when you have agreement on the other side.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Pluskut Tukker posted:

The EU has been 'on the verge of complete collapse' for years now. If it wasn't over Brexit, then it was over the refugee issue or the eurocrisis. But it will endure, because really, what are you going to replace it with?

Also, the EU being disunited over how to handle Brexit is actually bad for the UK. Britain needs a deal, and needs it within 2 years of article 50 being triggered, or its ability to export will be sharply curtailed ( WTO warns on tortuous Brexit trade talks, FT) and tariffs will have to be imposed. If you have an EU which cannot reach common ground between its 27 member states, who need to reach a qualified majority for the exit deal, and where in all likelihood everyone will have a veto on a post-Brexit trade agreement, that means the chances of getting that deal is lower than when you have agreement on the other side.

First the UK needs to disentangle 40 years laws made while they were in the EU, which could prove a bit of a challenge.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Pluskut Tukker posted:

And don't forget that in the likely scenario where the UK and EU haven't reached a deal two years after Article 50 is invoked, the UK gets unceremoniously booted with no deal at all unless the EU unanimously decides to extend negotiations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

W-w-wait a m-minute here. Why this is starting to sound bad?

But my Brexit loving friend assures me it's all going to be fine.

In fact he doesn't see why this business should even take 2 years.

According to him, by a mechanism whose details he was slightly hazy about, we could pull out in just 6 months if we wanted too.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Deptfordx posted:

W-w-wait a m-minute here. Why this is starting to sound bad?

But my Brexit loving friend assures me it's all going to be fine.

In fact he doesn't see why this business should even take 2 years.

According to him, by a mechanism whose details he was slightly hazy about, we could pull out in just 6 months if we wanted too.

Yeah it's a piece of cake to sort through 10,000 EU regulations and decide which ones should and shouldn't be kept by Brexit Britain while simultaneously negotiating with a 27-member bloc over which of those regulations will and won't affect your trade with them.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

vyelkin posted:

Yeah it's a piece of cake to sort through 10,000 EU regulations and decide which ones should and shouldn't be kept by Brexit Britain while simultaneously negotiating with a 27-member bloc over which of those regulations will and won't affect your trade with them.

Don't forget the crowner that Britain has very few experienced negotiators because (surprise!) while part of the EU, all trade deals went through the EU instead of Britain.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Phew, that's a relief to hear, because I was thinking it was going to be catastrophic.

I'll sleep easy tonight!

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Pureauthor posted:

Don't forget the crowner that Britain has very few experienced negotiators because (surprise!) while part of the EU, all trade deals went through the EU instead of Britain.

The fact that they need to hire negotiators from the EU to negotiate an exit from the EU (an exit that was caused by people having the idea that the UK was giving too many jobs to EU immigrants) would be funny if it all wasn't so goddamn depressing.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

I look forward to the action-packed spy movies about undercover EU negotiators pretending to work for the UK while secretly weakening article 4, subsection 5 of the April 7 draft agreement to not include the dairy industry

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Angepain posted:

I look forward to the action-packed spy movies about undercover EU negotiators pretending to work for the UK while secretly weakening article 4, subsection 5 of the April 7 draft agreement to not include the dairy industry

In all honesty the easiest way to destroy the UK is to just let it be.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

vyelkin posted:

And don't forget that in the likely scenario where the UK and EU haven't reached a deal two years after Article 50 is invoked, the UK gets unceremoniously booted with no deal at all unless the EU unanimously decides to extend negotiations.

The best part is, it's not "two years"

It's "within two years"

People seem to miss that within bit.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Rookersh posted:

The best part is, it's not "two years"

It's "within two years"

People seem to miss that within bit.

How exactly are people missing that? It means that there is a maximum period of two years, but the formulation retains the option of finishing negotiations earlier than that. It doesn't mean the EU could just say "lol UK" after a year. This ensures that the withdrawing country can decide to withdraw sooner if it is satisfied with the progress, not the other way round. :confused:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pochoclo posted:

The fact that they need to hire negotiators from the EU to negotiate an exit from the EU (an exit that was caused by people having the idea that the UK was giving too many jobs to EU immigrants) would be funny if it all wasn't so goddamn depressing.

It's not quite that bad. Remember, a lot of those EU trade negotiators? British guys. We were part of the EU (technically still are) and had our guys doing their part in all EU stuff including trade negotiations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

feedmegin posted:

It's not quite that bad. Remember, a lot of those EU trade negotiators? British guys. We were part of the EU (technically still are) and had our guys doing their part in all EU stuff including trade negotiations.
Well then I guess it's fine, assuming that all those people currently working for the EU are going to quit their jobs and return to Britain to spend two years undoing everything they have worked for previously.

I don't think relying on employees of the EU to help you get out of the EU is going to be a very solid strategy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ashcans posted:

I don't think relying on employees of the EU to help you get out of the EU is going to be a very solid strategy.
Yeah, I was about to say. I mean, the British government could try to offer them a really sweet deal, but I doubt many would switch out of patriotic feelings or anything like that.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

Ashcans posted:

Well then I guess it's fine, assuming that all those people currently working for the EU are going to quit their jobs and return to Britain to spend two years undoing everything they have worked for previously.

But don't they want to be sovereign and freeeeee?!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ashcans posted:

Well they quite likely no longer have the right to stay in Brussels and/or work for the EU once we leave the EU, and people like to be paid money for their skillset, so...yes? Some of them, anyway. It's not literally 'herp derp no British person has ever done a trade negotiation in the last 4 decades', is all.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Well they quite likely no longer have the right to stay in Brussels and/or work for the EU once we leave the EU, and people like to be paid money for their skillset, so...yes?

Apparently they can all still work for the EU, but they're unlikely to have a real career or to be given any politically sensitive, i.e. important, dossier to handle anymore. I posted an FT article a while back where one British Commission employee was quoted as saying, on the one hand he could work for the UK government, which had just destroyed everything he ever worked for, and on the other hand, he could go and earn some real money in the City.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
That'll show those plebs they made the wrong decision, go to the City

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

call to action posted:

That'll show those plebs they made the wrong decision, go to the City

Well yes typically taking a hard-earned skill set and using it to make lots of money is a good consolation prize to your life's work being ruined.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Morrow posted:

Well yes typically taking a hard-earned skill set and using it to make lots of money is a good consolation prize to your life's work being ruined.

I thought all the City people were crying about how this will destroy them? Sounds like it's going well down there then.

And can we take a second and think about all the poor British bureaucrats' careers who were destroyed by American independence?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

call to action posted:

I thought all the City people were crying about how this will destroy them? Sounds like it's going well down there then.

And can we take a second and think about all the poor British bureaucrats' careers who were destroyed by American independence?

:allears:

I'm sure highly educated, highly paid and highly mobile people in the City will be the only people who will feel any negative consequences, especially since they are far less equipped to either adapt or move on compared to many of the people who will continue to have no perspective, in or out.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

feedmegin posted:

Well they quite likely no longer have the right to stay in Brussels and/or work for the EU once we leave the EU, and people like to be paid money for their skillset, so...yes? Some of them, anyway. It's not literally 'herp derp no British person has ever done a trade negotiation in the last 4 decades', is all.

Britain is going to be free to hire them, sure, but that's already true of negotiators all over the world. They can pay money to get britons who work for the EU just like they could hire ones that currently work in the US or Singapore or anywhere else. But none of those people are British negotiators now, or at all obligated to join up. If they lose their ability to work in the EU (which I would say is not a sure thing, I imagine that the EU has an interest in protecting skilled professionals that are already living/working there) they can just as easily take their experience and knowledge of the EU to any other country that is negotiating trade deals with the EU rather than going back to Britain.

The point is that they don't have anyone really qualified in the current service right now and they are going to have to headhunt a whole bunch of people from somewhere to do this. Even if they got every single briton working as a negotiator right now, it's not going to cover the 300 people they're supposed to need for the task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

feedmegin posted:

I highly doubt this because they are skilled professionals. People from outside the EU move to, live in, and work in the EU all the time. It would probably be very easy for the EU to grant work permits to any Brits currently employed in EU bureaucracy, and let them continue their work if they enjoy it and don't want to help out a government that agreed to ruin their life's work.

• Locked thread