Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
There's a veritable potpourri of Expertise feats that should get nearly anyone everything they need with 1 feat. Don't overlook Master of Arms (for weapon switch-hitters like Thieves and Slayers and some Fighters), Arcane Fusillade Expertise (Artificers), Holy Crusader Expertise, War Wizard Expertise, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Just Give Them A Flat +1 To Hit.

e; per tier, yes. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 18, 2016

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Lemon-Lime posted:

The only issue with this is you don't really want it to stack with any Expertise feats they do end up picking up.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpactVector posted:

The only issue with this is you don't really want it to stack with any Expertise feats they do end up picking up.

Oh, for sure - just ban Expertise feats entirely if you're going to do that, but it saves everyone the trouble of having to worry about which Expertise feat to take and not getting the +1 whenever they're not using something that's covered by the one they did take.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Lemon-Lime posted:

Just Give Them A Scaling +1 Per Tier To Hit.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Lemon-Lime posted:

The downside, of course, is that you can't just throw that into the character builder and have the math work out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Lemon-Lime posted:

e; per tier, yes. :v:

+1 Feat Bonus per tier.

Then they can take the e-expertises if they want, and many of them are worth taking entirely independently of their to-hit bonus.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Do magic weapons give their bonus damage once per [W] or once per attack?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Per damage roll, if you want to be completely accurate. If a power deals 2[W]+4 damage and you find a +1 weapon, it now deals 2[W]+5 damage.

Something that gets overlooked so often I'm not even completely sure if it's actually true: if a power deals 2[W]+4 damage on a hit, and then 1d10 under a certain condition, a +1 weapon means it now deals 2[W]+5 and 1d10+1. Is that right?

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?
Only if that 1d10 comes from another, separate attack hitting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Been meaning to get to the bottom of this for a long time, actually.

A weapon or implement's enhancement bonus is to damage rolls. The Rules Compendium says (p222): an attack power may contain multiple damage rolls. If a creature has a bonus to damage rolls and uses such a power, the bonus applies to every damage roll of that power. The example specifically lists multitarget powers, but that's just an example and it seems to check out with the actual rules text. Perfectly possible I'm overlooking something elsewhere, mind.

e: I don't mean stuff like "1d10 extra damage if the target is bloodied", that's extra damage and is covered, but like "hit: 1d10+STAT damage, effect: creates a zone, any creature that starts its turn in the zone takes 1d6 damage."

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jul 29, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

slydingdoor posted:

Only if that 1d10 comes from another, separate attack hitting.

Or if it comes from an effect that is not a hit. or is explicitly a separate damage roll.

E.g. Twin Strike gets 1[W]+1x2

Thundering Howl gets 1[W]+str+1 and separately 1d6+1.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Welcome to the most annoying aspect of 4e's metagame - desperately trying to find what you can claim counts as a totally separate damage roll so I get to add all my modifiers again, honest!

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

ProfessorCirno posted:

Welcome to the most annoying aspect of 4e's metagame - desperately trying to find what you can claim counts as a totally separate damage roll so I get to add all my modifiers again, honest!

It reminds me of how folks try to get double or triple their ability mod to damage. Is that even a thing you can do? Like, the example I heard was getting a dex-based RBA and grabbing Primal Eye at 11th from MCing Seeker to get double-Dex.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That rule actually backfired on my last sorcerer. I was a Dragon Guardian, which was a lot of fun to play, except that the paragon path mark's punishment damage (which is technically part of the power) was utterly overwhelming and forced me to constantly hit-and-run to force my GM not to take it because there was absolutely no reason for the enemy not to attack me again otherwise. It was a perfect mark and wasn't supposed to be. So that got old really quickly and I ended up just forfeiting the second bonus instance (which makes the punishment damage perfectly balanced) and also ditching Flame Spiral, which turned out fine because using Flame Spiral was also boring as sin.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Rules-lawyering charopping is the worst poo poo. It's not an exercise in shrewdly tweaking feats and powers and whatnot anymore, it's obnoxiously arguing the definition of the word "is." That's not clever, that's just petty.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011

Unknown Quantity posted:

It reminds me of how folks try to get double or triple their ability mod to damage. Is that even a thing you can do? Like, the example I heard was getting a dex-based RBA and grabbing Primal Eye at 11th from MCing Seeker to get double-Dex.
It's not a replacement, just an extra modifier, so yeah. Most instances of it are pretty tough to make use of, like Primal Eye. How many RBA-focused builds are there that will see a disproportionately high EV from double dipping Dex or Str? Not many, I suspect - and even when it does work, I doubt it'd push them over your average Twin Striker on a regular basis.

Same issue I have with a lot of the talk around double dipping mods on bonus damage rolls - there's a pretty narrow subset of builds and powers that can make disproportionate, unanswerable use of it. Most of them involve Sorcerer. On average it pushes more bad powers to usable than usable powers to overpowered, I think, and you can spot adjudicate the ones that clearly weren't thinking about that kind of thing when they were made.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I mean, the only time I've really seen RBAs supercharged is a weird off-brand Thief build, and outside of charge spamming there's equally not as much MBA supercharging. Like I said, the end-meta was lovely "no see this is totally THREE damage instances because" combined with elemental damage and vulnerability abuse. That and ridic novas.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I did see someone with the doubledex RBA build and I can tell you that A: it was optimal but B: they got super bored very fast.

Same with that dumb triplecon build.

Chaotic Neutral
Aug 29, 2011
Vulnerability exploitation is the only thing I really hate on, because it invariably skews the party - and the entire game - around itself in a way that nothing else really does, and the primary methods of countering it in monster design are even less fun.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
I mean, the easiest answer is to have the GM tell the party not to do that poo poo, but it's irritating to say the least that the game went down that path in the first place.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Unknown Quantity posted:

I think the highest you can get is something like 5xCON to a single attack with max CON, but I cannot for the life of me remember how, it's been like 2 years. It involves an Epic Destiny and the Lyrandar Wind-Rider PP, I can remember that much.

As long as everyone sticks to the SAME level of optimisation, the game works and the GM can compensate. The game only really struggles when one player's running a ridiculous CharOp build and another's running a bow and arrow Slayer or a Vampire or something.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
On the topic of applying Vuln, I always kind of wanted to play an elemental pact warlock since their gimmick seemed kind of interesting (easy access to heavy vuln application, but of a quasi-random element, so it's a bit harder for others to exploit unless they're carrying a golfbag of elemental weapons). A shame they didn't get a full set of 1-30 powers though. I liked the powers they did get.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

thespaceinvader posted:

I think the highest you can get is something like 5xCON to a single attack with max CON, but I cannot for the life of me remember how, it's been like 2 years. It involves an Epic Destiny and the Lyrandar Wind-Rider PP, I can remember that much.

As long as everyone sticks to the SAME level of optimisation, the game works and the GM can compensate. The game only really struggles when one player's running a ridiculous CharOp build and another's running a bow and arrow Slayer or a Vampire or something.

Wardens have a feat that adds con damage when you slow someone (which you always are because Warden) and a weapon(?) that adds con damage when you're in a guardian form (which you always are because Warden) so those might be involved.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

djw175 posted:

Wardens have a feat that adds con damage when you slow someone (which you always are because Warden) and a weapon(?) that adds con damage when you're in a guardian form (which you always are because Warden) so those might be involved.

Yeah, it definitely involved both of those.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Obligatum VII posted:

On the topic of applying Vuln, I always kind of wanted to play an elemental pact warlock since their gimmick seemed kind of interesting (easy access to heavy vuln application, but of a quasi-random element, so it's a bit harder for others to exploit unless they're carrying a golfbag of elemental weapons). A shame they didn't get a full set of 1-30 powers though. I liked the powers they did get.

One of the things you can do as an elemental pact Warlock is pick a bunch of powers with another pacts riders, and then turn all of them on at level 11 with twofold.

You sadly can't go the other way around because the thing that determines your daily weakness isn't a part of your pact features.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Kurieg posted:

One of the things you can do as an elemental pact Warlock is pick a bunch of powers with another pacts riders, and then turn all of them on at level 11 with twofold.

You sadly can't go the other way around because the thing that determines your daily weakness isn't a part of your pact features.

Yeah, they're quite playable by just grabbing other pact's powers. I just mean I liked the specific elemental pact powers and thought they were neat.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yep. Elementallock doesn't need its own powers because it has that psychic/necrotic transmutation thing.

Just pack a whole mess of surges and that belt that gives you temps when you spend an encounter power = number of surges you've spent so far today, and second wind after every rest to set your damage to the right type if you need to.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Masterwork armours.

Are they another thread in the math patch, or are they just some random poo poo that I can ignore?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Math patch I'm pretty sure. Although I don't know how much the various "+1 to Fort/Ref/Will" or "resist 1 all" masterwork armors enter into that.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yet more turtles, then.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Crotch posted:

Masterwork armours.

Are they another thread in the math patch, or are they just some random poo poo that I can ignore?

This is what AC progression looks like if you're only using the armors in PHB 1:

This is what AC progression looks like if you include the additional armors in PHB 2:

1. The overall effect is the same, but you get a "smoother" progression if you include the PHB 2 armors since they fill in the gaps.
2. If you're using inherent bonuses, and you won't award the base armor until the inherent bonus level matches the minimum needed for the base armor, you should really use the PHB 2 armors, because inherent bonus scaling is delayed enough that your players' AC will fall behind.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is overall a good demonstration of what a clusterfuck that non-inherent bonus 4E D&D is. Actually I am not even sure inherent bonuses completely fix it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Actually I am not even sure inherent bonuses completely fix it.

It doesn't, because inherent bonuses aren't awarded as soon as possible. A "true" inherent bonus system would be giving you a +1 to attack, damage and defenses at levels 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, and 26.

The progression reflected in DMG 2/Dark Sun is delayed:
Attack / damage only gets increases at 2, 7, 12, 18, 24 and 28
Defenses only increases at 4, 9, 14, 19, 24 and 30

Or to put it another way:

A player should be getting [Warplate Armor AC 11 +4 enhancement bonus] by level 16.
If you're using inherent bonuses and will only give the Warplate when the inherent bonus to defense becomes +4, the player won't get it until level 19.
If you're only using the PHB 1 armors, then the player will have been using [Plate Armor AC 8 +3 enhancement bonus] since level 14 - that's a 5 level gap before they get any upgrades
If you're using the PHB 2 armors, then at least the player will have been using [Gith Plate AC 10 +3 enhancement bonus] since level 14 - still a long stretch of time, but at least they're 2 AC up

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thanks for that.

What about the armours that boost NADs? Nagahide, githweave, etc.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
PHB 1 Scale Armors:

PHB 2 Scale Armors:

If you look at that, the Nagascale armor is still useful for the same reasons the PHB 2 additional plate armors are: they fill gaps in the AC progression. It just so happens that they also grant a NAD bonus.

But if the armor is much lighter, and therefore the AC spread is shorter, look at what happens:

PHB 1 Cloth and Leather Armors:

PHB 2 Cloth and Leather Armors:

You don't need to use the Githweave armor because there's no 0.5 base AC between 0 base AC Cloth and 1 base AC Feyweave.

Similarly, the first Leather armor is 2 base AC, and then the next step up is Feyleather Armor with 3 base AC.

So you don't really need to use the Drowmesh armor that's in-between them unless you specifically want to award a +1 bonus to Reflex. These armors don't capture the whole spectrum of NADs anyway, so they're not necessary for progression.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Wasn't masterwork just shoved in because they forgot to account for DEX/INT being applied to light armor scaling, and not heavy?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One of my players is doubling down on powers that allow him to "increase the size of your blast and burst attacks by 1" and wants to know if they stack so he can turn a burst 3 into a burst 6 if he needs to, and my initial thought is to say "yes, unquestionably" but I thought I'd better check.

Invoker with Staff of the War Mage/Lv10 Utility Enunciation/PP Adept of Whispers, for reference.

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Yeah, those would stack, since they're from different sources and don't have any sort of named bonus (like power, item, or feat bonuses). They'd also stack with the Resounding Thunder feat in paragon. I wouldn't worry too much about it, since two of those are daily abilities and the other one is an AP boost, so it's more of a highlight than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh, I'm not worried, I just played this game long enough to know that when something looks straightforward, it usually, but not always, is.

Two dailies and an AP: when you absolutely, positively, got to Astral Terror every motherfucker in the room.