Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Question for Nats (and non-Nats of course).

If the UK government was to devolve basically everything except defence, and some useless royal family bullshit, while also negotiating full EEA status for the UK. Would you be happy with that as a constitutional compromise for the foreseeable future?

I think that I would be tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

Question for Nats (and non-Nats of course).

If the UK government was to devolve basically everything except defence, and some useless royal family bullshit, while also negotiating full EEA status for the UK. Would you be happy with that as a constitutional compromise for the foreseeable future?

No. It's remain in the EU or nothing.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I think the Theresa May visit was because Scotland had previously been excluded from all EU negotiations and now apparently we've been guaranteed a place at the table?

EDIT: Oh also apparently this?

"May: Article 50 will only be triggered when there is a UK-wide approach"
http://www.itv.com/news/story/2016-07-15/may-article-50-will-only-be-triggered-when-there-is-a-uk-wide-approach/

Jedit posted:

No. It's remain in the EU or nothing.

Kinda this, yeah.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The purpose of today is to tie the SNP into the process of Brexit. It's to prevent them sitting on the sidelines complaining about what's been done to them and Scotland.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I'm skeptical it will work tbh

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
They do love a good moan.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I think it's less that and more that they prefer the narrative of the scots unwillingly being dragged out of the EU, as it gives them a good front to push for indyref2

I say that and I want Scotland to be independent, but I can also recognise that this is probably the narrative they're going to stick with even if they do get a decent place at the negotiation table. either they'll set demands so outrageous that Westminister will have no choice but to say gently caress off (at which point, indyref2), or they'll actually extract favourable concessions from westminister (which will serve to placate them for all of a five minutes until they find the next excuse).

Either that, or I'm getting extremely cynical :shrug:

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

We will have to wait and see what agreements are going to be made between the EU and the UK when the Scottish Government have a seat at the negotiations table. I no doubt the question going to be asked would be keeping Scotland as part of the EU through a reverse-Greenland effect which won't happen as many parts of the EU have stated and as well as Philip Hammond saying a separate EU deal for Scotland isn't going to happen unless they go Independent which the EU have stated that they would prepare for.

The EEA is also going to be a big factor as well. The EU have stated they will not budge on limiting free movement while being part of the single market as they have told Switzerland recently. The Scottish Government are for free movement where as the UK government are divided on the issue with most brexiters wanting the unrealistic option to happen which the EU will just laugh at. The UK also imports a lot more then it does export so the UK government choosing the limit of free movement and not joining the single market would be shooting themselves in the foot again which would be reasonably give more weight for the Scottish Government to go with calling another referendum.

Then again who knows what will happen during negotiations.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The Scottish government can 'call for' a referendum but they can't 'call' one: only Westminster legislation can do that.

If the UK doesn't come up with a deal that involves free movement with the EU and there is a second referendum, Scots will be asked to choose between free movement to and from the eu, or free movement to and from the UK. Would be an interesting choice.

Aug 4, 2010

build a wall

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Pissflaps posted:

If the UK doesn't come up with a deal that involves free movement with the EU and there is a second referendum, Scots will be asked to choose between free movement to and from the eu, or free movement to and from the UK. Would be an interesting choice.

It would be. It doesn't really fit most classical political pigeon holing; it's "post-ideological" in a way, since no one is disagreeing about whether free movement is good, they just disagree where the boundary on that movement should be. I could be convinced otherwise, but from this angle it looks a lot like the triumph of identity politics over all other forms of political association: the key question, perhaps the only question, is are you Scottish and British or Scottish and European?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

How's Ireland/NI going to work after Brexit in terms of free movement? I guess Scotland/rUK would be the same in the event of independence?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

bitterandtwisted posted:

How's Ireland/NI going to work after Brexit in terms of free movement? I guess Scotland/rUK would be the same in the event of independence?

Pretty sure they promised there would be an open border with the south, but that they would also simultaneously somehow stop free movement with the rest of the EU.

Whats to stop an Eastern European EU migrant from perfectly legally flying to Ireland and strolling across the border, I do not know.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

marktheando posted:

Whats to stop an Eastern European EU migrant from perfectly legally flying to Ireland and strolling across the border, I do not know.

To be fair. Who the fucks wants to live in the UK now when you land in Ireland?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Extreme0 posted:

To be fair. Who the fucks wants to live in the UK now when you land in Ireland?

It's true. Turns out all we had to do to stop immigrants wanting to come here was to destroy everything good about Britain.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

marktheando posted:

It's true. Turns out all we had to do to stop immigrants wanting to come here was to destroy everything good about Britain.

A simple and efficient solution.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Tomorrow's National headline claims the SNP are announcing a new currency for an independent Scotland.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

Tomorrow's National headline claims the SNP are announcing a new currency for an independent Scotland.

Not quite as concrete as that yet, but an interesting development. The Herald are reporting that "senior SNP MPs are reviewing the party’s currency position and a report is expected to be issued to First Minister Nicola Sturgeon"

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

marktheando posted:

Pretty sure they promised there would be an open border with the south, but that they would also simultaneously somehow stop free movement with the rest of the EU.

Probably the same arrangement as for the Russian/EU border. People who live within some distance of the border (30 km, I think?) have free movement for limited amounts of time, others need visas.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wouldn't it be better to adopt the euro as the currency as opposed to a new scottish currency, given the ostensible reason the SNP are pushing for indyref2 is due to wanting to remain in the uk

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

tithin posted:

Wouldn't it be better to adopt the euro as the currency as opposed to a new scottish currency, given the ostensible reason the SNP are pushing for indyref2 is due to wanting to remain in the uk

At least in the short term, after independence, there would be some economic volatility and it would be useful to be able to do some currency manipulation. Probably doubtful if the EU would let them keep it after joining though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

Shortbread is not legal tender.

Meanwhile, here's some fun news.

quote:

The leader of UKIP in Scotland has said his party is full of "total tossers".

Jedit fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 17, 2016

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If there's one thing Kippers hate more than immigrants, it's each other

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

tithin posted:

You need a separate currency to begin with to join the Euro. Plus it helps being in control of a currency, one that might be pegged to the Pound for smoother transition till we feel comfortable enough to unpeg it.

Anos posted:

At least in the short term, after independence, there would be some economic volatility and it would be useful to be able to do some currency manipulation. Probably doubtful if the EU would let them keep it after joining though.

We need to make a commitment to join the Euro but we can voluntarily keep our currency due to ERM II being one we can't be forced into till we specifically state that we would join it. A few EU member states haven't joined the euro because of it and the only way they will join the Euro is that the EU forces six EU states to change into the euro by adding something new.

The Process is the same so choosing the euro is optional despite it being a commitment to use it eventually. When? Well it's been years so far for the likes of Sweden and they are not planning on using the euro anytime soon because they think it's unstable atm.

Jedit posted:

Should be. It should be.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Jedit posted:

Meanwhile, here's some fun news.

Finding myself in agreement with David Coburn, what is the world coming to?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

big scary monsters posted:

Be glad for the old cliché that even a broken clock is right twice a day. Or once a day if it's digital. But the point being it is right sometimes despite being absolutely wrong for the rest of the day.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

big scary monsters posted:

You don't have to agree with him, he only said "some".

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Coburn is gay, isn't he? I wouldn't be surprised if he'd been on the receiving end of some nastiness or bigotry from some other party members.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Pack it in unionailures, Sabaton have thrown in with indy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi7xBe5-M8k

My god is that cheesy as all hell. I love the awkward reenactment "battle" footage in the background.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

My god is that cheesy as all hell. I love the awkward reenactment "battle" footage in the background.

I cringed so hard it caused me physical discomfort.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

forkboy84 posted:

I cringed so hard it caused me physical discomfort.

I call that 'rupturing a cringe pipe'

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Almost as good as when Grave Digger sung about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nb93QbUGcL0

Germany of course having more actual representation in the Scotland/England tiff.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 18, 2016

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Since we've turned ScotPol into "bad power metal: The Thread", here's a really bad song by some Swedes, Lost Horizon

It's called Highlander (The One) so I've decided that's enough of a connection to Scotland to warrant posting here.

Is doing a 12 minute "epic" song about The Highlander better or worse than an entire album about The Silmarillion? And why is that I will tolerate black metal bands referencing Tolkein but instantly hate every other song that references his works?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

Since we've turned ScotPol into "bad power metal: The Thread", here's a really bad song by some Swedes, Lost Horizon

It's called Highlander (The One) so I've decided that's enough of a connection to Scotland to warrant posting here.

Is doing a 12 minute "epic" song about The Highlander better or worse than an entire album about The Silmarillion? And why is that I will tolerate black metal bands referencing Tolkein but instantly hate every other song that references his works?

Are you saying you hate They're Taking the Hobbits to Isengard?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Reveilled posted:

Are you saying you hate They're Taking the Hobbits to Isengard?

I should've clarified, I meant every other metal song that references his work. Obviously I have an enduring fondness for They're Taking The Hobbits to Isengard.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

I used to love Lost Horizon when I was younger. Thanks for this wee nostalgia trip!

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

I should've clarified, I meant every other metal song that references his work. Obviously I have an enduring fondness for They're Taking The Hobbits to Isengard.

How do you feel about the Ballad of Bilbo Baggins?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Coohoolin posted:

This is honestly awesome :allears:

EDIT: This is the closest song I have to support Scottish independence :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ6nXQTrfQI. Honestly though, Gloryhammer itself is all about Scotland.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 19, 2016

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Thinking about the implications of brexit, are there any real life examples of "federalised" immigration policies, or any interesting pieces that talk about something similar? Not that it would placate the SNP, and I suspect the immigration "debate" is so toxic right now that no PM will want to wade in with much more than platitudes, but separate immigration policies in Scotland and england might be technically possible, if obviously extremely complicated. I'm curious if there's (m)any practical mechanisms that already exist and could be applied to a Scottish context; for example, visas allowing the right to work in one state/region/place of a common travel area (whether national or inter-national) but not another, or if such a thing is too logistically problematic to bother with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Niric posted:

Thinking about the implications of brexit, are there any real life examples of "federalised" immigration policies, or any interesting pieces that talk about something similar? Not that it would placate the SNP, and I suspect the immigration "debate" is so toxic right now that no PM will want to wade in with much more than platitudes, but separate immigration policies in Scotland and england might be technically possible, if obviously extremely complicated. I'm curious if there's (m)any practical mechanisms that already exist and could be applied to a Scottish context; for example, visas allowing the right to work in one state/region/place of a common travel area (whether national or inter-national) but not another, or if such a thing is too logistically problematic to bother with.

In Jersey any EU citizen (including British) can enter and work a job classified as "permit free" - on https://www.gov.je there are 136 permit free vacancies compared to 179 which require a work permit.

Jersey isn't in the EU but does have tariff-free agreements with the EU. In other words they actually do get free movement of capital but not free movement of people, although the treaties which govern this are linked to the UK as opposed to the EU. So when the UK leaves the EU Jersey also loses free movement of capital, although still governs their immigration policies seperate to the UK.

Which means Scotland needs to become a Crown Dependency, except not of the UK because they won't be in the UK. A dependency of the Netherlands or Spain perhaps.