Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm watching The Knick and it's incredibly good guys. It really is a different deal when a single extremely talented director is at the helm of a series. The production values are off the charts and the cinematography is better than in Boardwalk Empire imo (Boardwalk Empire still had a better story and acting though) - the camera angles, a bit of a fish lense going on, it's all really fresh for a TV series, especially a historical one.

Too bad that as I'm not in the US I can only buy it directly and only itunes offers English subtitles here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Even in the US, I don't think it's streaming on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime, is it?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think it's on Amazon video but not on prime so you have to pay for the whole series separately. I honestly don't get why they handicap series like these with limited availability. I'm sure it would be a hit on Hulu or Netflix and they'd gather a lot bigger audience. I get that Cinemax is in competition with Netflix for example but in the end Cinemax just makes less money keeping it behind a big price point.

Another one is Homeland which was taken off Netflix (the first 4 seasons are still on the UK one) and now you can only watch it on Hulu with the additional Showtime subscription fee. I can't get the 5th season outsie of the US and I'll probably end up buying it on itunes as well.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I just finished Marco Polo and was pleased to hear that the second season is about a month away. It takes an almost ridiculous amount of creative liberty with what we know about Polo in Kublai's court and it's got just the right amount of schlock, but holy poo poo the production design is incredible. The sets and costumes are so luscious it's insane. I'd love to see what the show looked like in 4k resolution.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Season 3 of Peaky Blinders is up on Netflix!

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

10 Beers posted:

Season 3 of Peaky Blinders is up on Netflix!

As much as a show starring Cillian Murphy, with Nick Cave songs on the soundtrack, is theoretically completely up my alley, I couldn't get into the first couple episodes. Worth another shot?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Crow Jane posted:

As much as a show starring Cillian Murphy, with Nick Cave songs on the soundtrack, is theoretically completely up my alley, I couldn't get into the first couple episodes. Worth another shot?

I really enjoy it. The second season has Tom Hardy in it, as well. If you don't have anything else you desperately wanna watch, maybe give it a few more episodes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ninjahedgehog posted:

Holy poo poo you guys, Jurassic Park!

The T-Rex roar in the first movie is forever my favorite example of movie effects. It is so drat amazing with a decent sound system.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Even if you're not a fan at all of the band, you really should watch the Twisted Sister documentary currently on US Netflix.

"We Are Twisted F***ing Sister"

Just an AMAZING story of the years before they broke big on Early MTV. Like Holy poo poo how could it be worse than what happened to Def Leppard?!?

Really great doc.

I finished Lady Dynamite - and after a slow start - it was great. But I'm kind of a Maria Bamford superfan, so take that as you will.

take me you ANIMAL
Nov 28, 2002

Congrats big boy

kazil posted:

Life was better with only one Jurassic Park

The new one is pretty good.

Rolo posted:

The T-Rex roar in the first movie is forever my favorite example of movie effects. It is so drat amazing with a decent sound system.

I still remember watching this at one of my dad's friend house on laserdisc with surround sound when I was around 11 while he was working on his A/C. It was amazing.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I remember watching a 'making-of' of that sound effect. It was like: blue whale; lion; train;

snore; eagle; bicycle horn, etc

Just a bunch of poo poo. I love it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
The sound downgrade ruined the sequels more than... Well... Everything else.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

kazil posted:

Life was better with only one Jurassic Park

Life is a kickass show no matter what JP franchise is doing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Rewatching Peaky Blinders and I'm dying laughing right now, I forgot the scene where Polly is making a bunch of sandwiches while she talks to her son about his father..

She's making shrimp, pressed ham ham, and butter sandwiches. :barf:

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

BumikiIsFreaky posted:

The new one is pretty good.

Nah.

Some Netflix recommendations:

There's a documentary up about Yosemite Rock Climbing called Valley Uprising that is loving awesome, and will probably give you vertigo.

The Imposter is pretty mind-bending.

After Tiller was one of the most strikingly intimate documentaries I've seen in a long while. Thoughtful and nuanced.

American Experience: The Poisoner's Handbook has been free on PBS since it came out, but it's also on Netflix if you've missed it and prefer the format. It's typical cheesy PBS dramatizations mixed with narration, but holy poo poo the stories are impossibly compelling. It's about the investigations of the first ever Medical Examiner of New York, who basically invented modern forensic science. It's very good (the book is also great if you prefer the stories without the cheese).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Woof, the ending to Peaky Blinders season 3 was almost worth the flailing around to get to it.

But good lord the finale closing scene (do not spoil this is you haven't seen it) :goatsecx:

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011
Suggesting Deathgasm, a heavy metal horror movie. Not going to spoil anything, but at one point some ones dick gets cut off with a weed-whacker.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Haerc posted:

Suggesting Deathgasm, a heavy metal horror movie. Not going to spoil anything, but at one point some ones dick gets cut off with a weed-whacker.

Honestly I could have done without the dick jokes, but otherwise it's a solid pick, and if it wasn't 10:00 on a Tuesday, I probably would have stayed up all night listening to all the metal after.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Stranger Things is a Netflix original sci-fi/thriller series starring Winona Ryder, Matthew Modine, and a few other people I recognize. Show revolves around supernatural elements and MKULTRA conspiracies. Pretty good so far (about halfway through), although the second episode was a little slow. My girlfriend, who does not usually care for sci-fi, is really into it, FYI.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

1redflag posted:

Stranger Things is a Netflix original sci-fi/thriller series starring Winona Ryder, Matthew Modine, and a few other people I recognize. Show revolves around supernatural elements and MKULTRA conspiracies. Pretty good so far (about halfway through), although the second episode was a little slow. My girlfriend, who does not usually care for sci-fi, is really into it, FYI.

A good show

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Watching My crazy ex girlfriend. Pretty good. Didn't know each episode was an hour long. Don't see many hour long comedies.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I've got a weakeness for Winona, even after all these years. I'll have to check it out.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

1redflag posted:

Stranger Things

At first glance, that smacked of an ABC Family preteen sci-fi/drama. Did I count it out too soon?

For reference, what little of Hemlock Grove I've seen is some of the worst media produced by a profit-seeking entity that I've ever had the misfortune of being subjected to. I only bring it up because it's another Netflix series described as supernatural and scifi, and I want one of those Men in Black memory eraser thingys so goddamn bad

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

At first glance, that smacked of an ABC Family preteen sci-fi/drama. Did I count it out too soon?

For reference, what little of Hemlock Grove I've seen is some of the worst media produced by a profit-seeking entity that I've ever had the misfortune of being subjected to. I only bring it up because it's another Netflix series described as supernatural and scifi, and I want one of those Men in Black memory eraser thingys so goddamn bad

I wonder if the Men in Black cartoon is streaming anywhere, I remember that being pretty good for a Saturday Morning movie cash in

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

What's frustrating about it is that is has lots of really good ideas, they're just executed terribly. Hell, the writers admitted that they didn't know what do to with season 2 so they just essentially remade season 1. Season 3 is just confusing, as if they forgot they had already had established characters. The series was on a nose dive from the first episode.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Netflix down in New Zealand finally got all the old Star Trek seasons (TOS through to Enterprise). I don't expect to surface for several months.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I'd definitely watch the first episode in its entirety to see if you'd like it, but realize it slow burns the first two episodes then gets pretty crazy. Definitely not an ABC family preteen show.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

1redflag posted:

I'd definitely watch the first episode in its entirety to see if you'd like it, but realize it slow burns the first two episodes then gets pretty crazy. Definitely not an ABC family preteen show.

Cool, will do.

Limitless (Netflix) is a series based on the film of the same title. The base formula is essentially the same (unmotivated slob takes drug of unknown origin, becomes super genius), but this time our reformed layabout uses his enhanced brain powers to fight crime. It's pretty enjoyable, especially if you were a fan of the film.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Cool, will do.

Limitless (Netflix) is a series based on the film of the same title. The base formula is essentially the same (unmotivated slob takes drug of unknown origin, becomes super genius), but this time our reformed layabout uses his enhanced brain powers to fight crime. It's pretty enjoyable, especially if you were a fan of the film.

Doesn't Bradley cooper show up in the show at some point too? So it's actually tied to the movie in more than just super drug plot?

Just started another round of Deadwood. It's been years since I've seen it and it's crazy how many recognizable people are in it. Especially people who were also in Justified with Olyphant.

Also started Peaky Blinders and enjoying it a lot.

Next up will be Stranger Things. I also caught the first episode of Vice Principals and if you like Danny McBride it looks like it will be him playing his usual. I have really come to like Walter Goggins (justified, the shield, sons of anarchy) so it should be good watching them together.

ExCruceLeo has a new favorite as of 14:41 on Jul 19, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Deadwood is just the best, I may do a rewatch soon as well. I'm beyond excited for Ian McShane as Mr. Wednesday in American Gods.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ExCruceLeo posted:

Doesn't Bradley cooper show up in the show at some point too? So it's actually tied to the movie in more than just super drug plot?

Yeah, it's a sequel to the movie, not a reboot or something like that.

It's also excellent.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ExCruceLeo posted:

Yep. He does more than just show up--he's in several episodes as his character from the film. He's also the show's executive producer.

It takes place a little while after the film ends. It's definitely tied to the movie, but you don't have to have seen it to understand what's going on. They're pretty good about not doing callbacks or making references to events in the film without explaining them.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Crow Jane posted:

Deadwood is just the best, I may do a rewatch soon as well. I'm beyond excited for Ian McShane as Mr. Wednesday in American Gods.

Well I wasn't excited about the idea of an American Gods, but that's pitch perfect casting.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

Well I wasn't excited about the idea of an American Gods, but that's pitch perfect casting.

All of the casting has been spot on so far. Unless the script is godawful, it's going to be so great.

vvv The character he's playing is a huge douchebro, it'll work just fine. Plus he'll probably only be in it for like fifteen minutes before dying

Crow Jane has a new favorite as of 15:11 on Jul 19, 2016

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Crow Jane posted:

All of the casting has been spot on so far.

http://www.slashfilm.com/dane-cook-american-gods-cast/

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
I didn't know that was being made. Awesome.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Crow Jane posted:

Oh snap.

He only had the briefest of appearances on GoT :rip:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
I just binged through all 3 seasons of wentworth. Its like a female version of oz made in austrailia the plot is different though so don't get your new ghost buster panties in a bunch. S1 is a little boring but s2 and s3 are excellent. Its on netflix and i'm not sure how many seasons its behind but I would check this show out.

snergle has a new favorite as of 23:49 on Jul 22, 2016

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Room is up on Prime. It's really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Stranger Things was interesting. Great job at capturing the vibe of the early 80s while playing around with some of the tropes. Pacing was slow as hell though.