Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
On a positive note, it seems like the "tech tree" for weapons in this is much... wider? Than it used to be. I have like 8 different Longswords in my box right now (that all suck because they're level 1 or 2), which is gonna be a godsend for fashion hunting down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

I pretty much only ever used Greatsword in 4U, since it was way easier to do burst damage and had much higher damage output. Is it still top tier/the recommended general weapon, or are the weapons a bit more balanced this time around?

Greatsword is as good as it ever was. The overpowered Charge Blade of 4U has been brought in line with the rest of the weapons. The Gunlance got a heat mechanic that punishes you badly if you mess it up. Sword and Shield got oils (like bow coatings) that allow it to do everything. Arts made all weapons more powerful across the board.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Cattes seem great

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

deadly_pudding posted:

On a positive note, it seems like the "tech tree" for weapons in this is much... wider? Than it used to be. I have like 8 different Longswords in my box right now (that all suck because they're level 1 or 2), which is gonna be a godsend for fashion hunting down the line.

In addition to the usual branches every weapon now can be straight upgraded to endgame quality, which is indeed awesome for fashion hunting.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tender Bender posted:

In addition to the usual branches every weapon now can be straight upgraded to endgame quality, which is indeed awesome for fashion hunting.

It's basically everything I ever wanted. Again, my only gripe is:

Your Computer posted:

I love the inclusion of a bunch of funny/cute/interesting weapons in this, but I think it's super rude to make them all extremely weak and require like 5★ online quests to upgrade past level 1 :qq:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I need that gammoth armour

I will become the mammoth

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think I might need to download the MHGen "standard theme" for my 3DS. It looks super classy in the preview image. The Fated Four theme that I got for pre-ordering is a little too busy.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

enojy posted:

I've been playing for years, and never knew drooling would draw a monster to placed food. I need to start using this on every single hunt.

Note that this doesn't work on most monsters. Jho is the only one dumb enough to fall for it consistently.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So what's the deal with the Switch Axe being all about sword mode and the Charge Blade being all about axe mode? :saddowns:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Your Computer posted:

So what's the deal with the Switch Axe being all about sword mode and the Charge Blade being all about axe mode? :saddowns:

That's simplifying Charge Blade a bit. In 4U, I strongly favored sword mode. The axe only came out when I had a big opening like a trap or KO, or when I was trying to get a tail cut. I played it like SnS, but with a better shield and a big anime gimmick on reserve.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

FutureCop posted:

I've seen the light and it is prowler mode. I don't think I'll ever go back to my hunter, because the cats are where it's at.

Welcome, friend!

On that note, here's some notes about digging, including one bit which isn't super obvious:

- As it was mentioned a bit ago, you press R + B while standing still (weapon sheathed) to burrow underground. It's not super great for evading things upfront, because you're not invulnerable during the digging animation, which has some windup. But while underground you do have the benefit of most monsters not being able to reach you for a safe getaway or for a breather. You'll also recover red health faster, so especially take note for enemies that inflict bleeding. You will be forced out of the ground if a monster in the area roars though, so be mindful of that.

- Emergency Retreat is specific to Protection and Assisting biases, but can be trained down to other cats. It's essentially a souped up version of the above, with the bonus of being able to use it with your weapon drawn thanks to being a support ability. It costs one point to use. Unlike the above you do have invulnerability frames while digging, and it will also heal a chunk of health as well as clear away status ailments. You can only teach down one thing per cat, but if you're in Prowler mode regularly, consider Emergency Retreat if you don't have it. It's Very Good.

Dreamy Souffle fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jul 18, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Because designing new weapons is hard.

I think I might branch out and do a combo of GS, Hammer, and LBG for hunting. Equip sets should make that easy. Is it considered a bad idea to split yourself between different weapon types, though?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Your Computer posted:

It's basically everything I ever wanted. Again, my only gripe is:

For sure. At least they can be upgraded though. I remember stuff like the Emperor's Speech (Poogie Horn) in MH4U, which looked fun but was an LR weapon that required three giant beaks, which are a ~5% drop off LR Kut Ku.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

That's simplifying Charge Blade a bit. In 4U, I strongly favored sword mode. The axe only came out when I had a big opening like a trap or KO, or when I was trying to get a tail cut. I played it like SnS, but with a better shield and a big anime gimmick on reserve.

Of course, but it's still an odd way of naming them :shobon: After using it a bit I love the Charge Blade, like you say it's like a beefy SnS with an anime mode. Unfortunately, even with the amount of weapon models in this game there are still fairly few I like the look of... Fashion is my #1 concern when playing this game. Another thing I find difficult with about staying in sword mode is that it charges so quickly. Surely if you stay in sword most of the time you're spending a considerable amount of time just dumping phials?

Drythe posted:

Cattes seem great

I love my gathering catte

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Your Computer posted:

Well, it's called Charge Axe in Japan. Switch Axe is called Slash Axe though so you still have a point.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Your Computer posted:

Unfortunately, even with the amount of weapon models in this game there are still fairly few I like the look of... Fashion is my #1 concern when playing this game.

Come join me in longsword town. I've got a grimdark pointy bug katana with an iridescent bug scabbard. I've got a black enameled lightning katana that comes in a black scabbard with purple ribbons. I've got Tetsucabra's giant red/blue fillet knife. I've got some kind of lovely velociprey bone katana that upgrades later on. There's a cheese wedge that I can make if I get some more ore. Arzuros's longsword is a naginata, and there's a whole line of scythes, as well.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Note that this doesn't work on most monsters. Jho is the only one dumb enough to fall for it consistently.

Yea, I never bothered with poisoned food. The main point is that the monster's stamina is gone and its clumsier now for lack of a better term.

Basically its gonna stand still and get trapped longer

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I'm gonna try getting the sword saint and barrage piercings for the first time in a MH game

or die trying

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

How did I not realize this? Can I just throw the meat down in the same area we'd been fighting in, or does it have to be a new area where they haven't seen you yet?

K I looked it up, only Jho is dumb enough to just eat it if you place it as mentioned above.

The rest need to be drooling and not notice you. So you can drop the food then leave the zone and it should work.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Drythe posted:

K I looked it up, only Jho is dumb enough to just eat it if you place it as mentioned above.

The rest need to be drooling and not notice you. So you can drop the food then leave the zone and it should work.

Also, most monsters go to a specific zone with a corpse in it to chow down on it. If you leave the food there, they might get caught in it.

But yeah, mostly it's for Jho who decides to eat like every couple of minutes.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Isn't a human with a full gathering set better than a prowler for gathering or is the gathering skill on cats that good?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rascyc posted:

Isn't a human with a full gathering set better than a prowler for gathering or is the gathering skill on cats that good?

I think it comes down to what you are trying to accomplish. The cat gathers faster and doesn't need tools, and you can go in with a totally empty inventory because the only item the cat can use is the map. Basically you can gather more before you have to visit the delivery cat.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things
Do the gathering skills increase the chance for rare drops or just the amount of times you can potentially gather? I know eating for Felyne Gatherer does the latter.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rascyc posted:

Humans are easier to specialize (like you can't get a cat who will emulate the effects of special fishing lures for quite a while, though you can eventually) but Prowlers are totally fire and forget. You never need to buy nets/picks ever again and it feels amazing. Also gathering cats can be built passively and don't require any separate monster parts like building gathering sets does. Cats also move faster and have no stamina.

You can, and should, bring a human to fish for the low-rank quests that need poo poo like Brocadefish or Goldenfish but literally any other kind of gathering is better done by a cat.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
This game is so fun guys. I very much enjoy 'Dark Souls dodging' into Monster Attacks as an Adept Hunter. Free reload? Hell yes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zore posted:

Humans are easier to specialize (like you can't get a cat who will emulate the effects of special fishing lures for quite a while, though you can eventually) but Prowlers are totally fire and forget. You never need to buy nets/picks ever again and it feels amazing. Also gathering cats can be built passively and don't require any separate monster parts like building gathering sets does. Cats also move faster and have no stamina.

You can, and should, bring a human to fish for the low-rank quests that need poo poo like Brocadefish or Goldenfish but literally any other kind of gathering is better done by a cat.

Has anybody done science on egg transports? I did that "gather 3 gargwa eggs" transport quest as a cat and it was stressful as hell. I didn't realize I wasn't going to be able to run with the egg as a cat until I had it in my paws :saddowns:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Hunters can move a fair bit faster than cats when carrying stuff, not to mention transporter.

Dreamy Souffle
Feb 22, 2011

Just cause
I like my diamonds bright
ain't saying I'm wrong
or if it's right but baby
I haven't been wrong before

deadly_pudding posted:

Has anybody done science on egg transports? I did that "gather 3 gargwa eggs" transport quest as a cat and it was stressful as hell. I didn't realize I wasn't going to be able to run with the egg as a cat until I had it in my paws :saddowns:

There's at least a couple prowler quests that require it, but yeah, don't do egg quests as a cat if you can avoid it. As a hunter you'll benefit from being able to run while carrying, as well as make use of the Transporter skill. Either way, make sure you always eat for skills to avoid knockback while carrying an item, as well as to avoid stumbling from high falls.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Got a short road trip with some friends today so I think Ill just solo that drat Blangonga urgent. Any group I get for it takes 30 mins to form and then 3carts immediately.

lokipunk
Jan 16, 2007
Double post. Not sure how it just duplicated my original.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As a bit of a completionist, I'm not a fan of all the prowler quests that are just "remember that thing you did? Now do the exact same thing, on the exact same map... But as a cat" :effort:

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Into Village 4 and loving it so far. Starting with Adept LS, but feeling the itch to try something new as I get options for higher Rarity weapons. Maybe SnS next!

There are a few places where I feel its a step back from MH4U (which makes sense as this is sort of a close/celebration of 4th gen):

- Monster Intros: I know some people like the quick intros, but these could have easily been better/flashier, while still being as short as they are. They feel completely tacked on as something that got rushed out at the end.

- Palicoes for Item Delivery: The Wycoon was really streamlined and easy. Managing cat enthusiasm is a bit annoying between Meowster Hunters + Item Delivery... though it does force me to care a bit more about them. I mostly ignored them in MH4U.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Allarion posted:

Well, it's called Charge Axe in Japan. Switch Axe is called Slash Axe though so you still have a point.

Switch Axe used to be pretty powerful in Axe mode, and still has some damage potential in the axe flurry.

It's lost a lot of it's edge. I really wish there was a way to just ditch the sword mode in favor of a more powerful axe. I liked it's basic moveset. No more tails.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Your Computer posted:

As a bit of a completionist, I'm not a fan of all the prowler quests that are just "remember that thing you did? Now do the exact same thing, on the exact same map... But as a cat" :effort:

Especially since they lock poo poo like farms and food behind it.

Though my proudest moment of Generations so far was when I ran into Gyceperos on one of those mindless hunts and Catte-Team 6 took him down :america:

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I wish they'd give us just an axe. Not an axe that turns into a sword, not an axe that charges up from a sword. Just an axe.

In 4U I could mostly use switchaxe in axe mode for that but most switchaxes look like dumb Swiss army knife garbage when I'd rather have a huge gently caress off axe strapped to my back.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

I wish they'd give us just an axe. Not an axe that turns into a sword, not an axe that charges up from a sword. Just an axe.

In 4U I could mostly use switchaxe in axe mode for that but most switchaxes look like dumb Swiss army knife garbage when I'd rather have a huge gently caress off axe strapped to my back.

You, my friend, need to get the Dalamadur Great Sword

Because it is just a big fuckoff axe.

opulent fountain
Aug 13, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

I was complaining about exactly this to a friend yesterday. The axe part of switch axe is one of my favorite weapons, but it feels really not useful in MHG and I feel like my best strategy is to basically spam sword mode and occasionally reload. I switched to long sword for this game. Maybe I'm wrong, though, and am using the switch axe wrong. Also maybe it's just boring cause I've mained it since Tri.

I really would love a huge barbarian axe with wide, savage attacks.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I'm here to preach the word of the Heavy Bowgun.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I've come back to Monster Hunter after giving 4 and Tri a go. I was terrible at Tri and gave up on it. I got about 20 hours into 4 and was finally getting the hang of it but real life made me put it down and I've completely forgotten almost everything skill-wise I learned from it.

Generations seems pretty great, but I'm already overwhelmed with the styles and even more weapons than before. I mained switch axe in 4 but it feels really, really different in this one (or more likely I just forgot how to use it) and I dropped it almost immediately. I've only done the very first gathering quest so I'm not committed at all -- what's a solid weapon+style combination that's good for someone with base familiarity with the game but never got very far in any of the previous ones? It seems like every time I play this game I end up picking a weapon that I didn't realize was way too complicated for my beginner skill level and get frustrated and give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Aerox posted:

I've come back to Monster Hunter after giving 4 and Tri a go. I was terrible at Tri and gave up on it. I got about 20 hours into 4 and was finally getting the hang of it but real life made me put it down and I've completely forgotten almost everything skill-wise I learned from it.

Generations seems pretty great, but I'm already overwhelmed with the styles and even more weapons than before. I mained switch axe in 4 but it feels really, really different in this one (or more likely I just forgot how to use it) and I dropped it almost immediately. I've only done the very first gathering quest so I'm not committed at all -- what's a solid weapon+style combination that's good for someone with base familiarity with the game but never got very far in any of the previous ones? It seems like every time I play this game I end up picking a weapon that I didn't realize was way too complicated for my beginner skill level and get frustrated and give up.

SnS is always a solid contender for "easy to pick up", but so is Greatsword. I think Aerial SnS or Aerial GS are both really good choices. It simplifies GS's effective moveset, and in both cases it makes it easy to topple the monster so everybody can clown on it and speed up the fight a little. SnS in particular hits twice- once on the way up, and once when you do your actual aerial attack. I think Swaxe Sword Mode does that, too.

edit: or do Adept Lance if you just wish you were playing Dark Souls :v:

• Locked thread