Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

if baseball is any indication, there will always be old fart sports pundits bitching about "the purity of the Games" as if the Olympics have ever been a pure event free of cheating

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletics_at_the_1904_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_marathon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

See this is so much more entertaining than regular olympics. What's the over / under on stray dogs chasing marathon runners miles off course this summer?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lol, the first two black participants were there for the sideshow and decided to run because why not.

Then one of them was chased by dogs.

Was the Cuban the first modern Olympic pantsshitter as well?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

"Hicks received several doses of strychnine sulfate (a common rat poison, which stimulates the nervous system in small doses) mixed with brandy.[3] He was supported by his trainers when he crossed the finish, but was still considered the winner. Hicks had to be carried off the track, and might have died in the stadium had he not been treated by several doctors."

poo poo the doping was hardcore back then

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Tardcore posted:

"Hicks received several doses of strychnine sulfate (a common rat poison, which stimulates the nervous system in small doses) mixed with brandy.[3] He was supported by his trainers when he crossed the finish, but was still considered the winner. Hicks had to be carried off the track, and might have died in the stadium had he not been treated by several doctors."

poo poo the doping was hardcore back then
Doping was fairly "low tech" all the way until the late 70s. Blood doping may date back into the 60's however.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Tom_Simpson

quote:

"Tommy Simpson rode to his death in the Tour de France so doped that he did not know he had reached the limit of his endurance. He died in the saddle, slowly asphyxiated by intense effort in a heatwave after taking methylamphetamine drugs and alcoholic stimulants."

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

numberoneposter posted:

quote:

"Tommy Simpson rode to his death in the Tour de France so doped that he did not know he had reached the limit of his endurance. He died in the saddle, slowly asphyxiated by intense effort in a heatwave after taking methylamphetamine drugs and alcoholic stimulants."

Froome's a pussy.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

Doping was fairly "low tech" all the way until the late 70s. Blood doping may date back into the 60's however.

holy poo poo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

This is my favorite Olympics story, sad it was never made into a movie.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I must crush you.

How you manage to gently caress that up

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

if baseball is any indication, there will always be old fart sports pundits bitching about "the purity of the Games" as if the Olympics have ever been a pure event free of cheating

i love baseball but if i could change one thing it would unironically be the culuture around doping. The old farts who cry about the purity of the games are the worst.

it's honestly a tossup between them and the people who care about poo poo like The Unspoken Rules that make it 100% okay to assault people with 100mph pitches if they take too long to round the bases after a home run

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hemophilia posted:

i love baseball but if i could change one thing it would unironically be the culuture around doping. The old farts who cry about the purity of the games are the worst.

it's honestly a tossup between them and the people who care about poo poo like The Unspoken Rules that make it 100% okay to assault people with 100mph pitches if they take too long to round the bases after a home run
no it's definitely the "purity of the game" whiners. high-profile cheaters were right under their nose in the mid-90s to the early 2000s and they chose to ignore it (or, in the case of Mark McGwire being caught with andro in 1998, actively saying "who gives a poo poo") until it became more convenient for them to get mad. my parents said that denial was the exact same reaction when Ball Four was published and accused every player of popping "greenies"

good thing most of these dinosaurs will be dead in 10 years

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

RUSSIAN PISS IS FISHY, INVESTIGATORS FIND

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

etalian posted:

This is my favorite Olympics story, sad it was never made into a movie.

It's inspiring.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
They are acting like the TSA now,

http://journalstar.com/travel/new-security-measures-bring-long-lines-at-brazil-airports/article_17901f9d-da42-5155-83ad-1cf9f450a2f4.html

New, stricter security checks were implemented in Brazilian airports Monday, stalling travelers and delaying flights less than three weeks before Rio de Janeiro hosts the Olympics.

Starting at 6 a.m., long, chaotic lines formed at Congonhas regional airport in Brazil's biggest city, Sao Paulo. Within a half-hour, more than 700 people were waiting on the building's first and second floors to pass through security checkpoints. The lines eased up by the afternoon.

Smaller airports elsewhere in Sao Paulo state in southern Brazil also reported problems. There were long lines as well at the Santos Dumont regional airport in Rio de Janeiro, where the games are scheduled to open Aug. 5. International airports have not been affected so far.

The security firm they contracted from might not be that good,

The contract to hire and train thousands of security screeners for the Olympics in Rio starting Aug. 5 was awarded only two weeks ago to a tiny firm, raising concerns about keeping the Games safe amid global fears of terrorism.

Brazil’s government waited until July 1 to award the contract to recruit and deploy thousands of private security guards needed to monitor X-ray machines and pat down spectators for weapons and other contraband outside Olympic venues, according to documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal and confirmed by the federal ministry that awarded the contract.

Meanwhile, the agency that issued the tender said it had to scrap plans to install 315 additional surveillance cameras at nine Olympic facilities after the contracting process failed.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/rio-games-security-plans-trigger-concerns-1468792105

For fun, here is THE DARK SIDE OF THE OLYMPICS

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/24/books/review/the-games-a-global-history-of-the-olympics-david-goldblatt.html

They might not be ready in time guys. I have a feeling.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

On the bright side you can easily fit a Zika baby into the overhead compartments

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
I saw them interviewing a guy at Congonhas airport this morning. He was directed to wait in a queue, he followed it for almost an hour as it wound around the airport until he realised he was back where he started. He missed his flight.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

This is the greatest wiki article ever

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

hoiyes posted:

I saw them interviewing a guy at Congonhas airport this morning. He was directed to wait in a queue, he followed it for almost an hour as it wound around the airport until he realised he was back where he started. He missed his flight.

Haha no way

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Just saw a Facebook post from this girl I know who was all hype about her tickets to Rio. I feel like it's impossible to not have heard of how horrible an idea that was so I don't know how you can tell the world you have such a bad idea.

I wonder if I'll ever see her alive again...

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

All the Russians, banned, all of em

Truly the Soviet Empire cries vodka tears this day

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lime Tonics posted:

They are acting like the TSA now,

http://journalstar.com/travel/new-security-measures-bring-long-lines-at-brazil-airports/article_17901f9d-da42-5155-83ad-1cf9f450a2f4.html

New, stricter security checks were implemented in Brazilian airports Monday, stalling travelers and delaying flights less than three weeks before Rio de Janeiro hosts the Olympics.

Starting at 6 a.m., long, chaotic lines formed at Congonhas regional airport in Brazil's biggest city, Sao Paulo. Within a half-hour, more than 700 people were waiting on the building's first and second floors to pass through security checkpoints. The lines eased up by the afternoon.

Smaller airports elsewhere in Sao Paulo state in southern Brazil also reported problems. There were long lines as well at the Santos Dumont regional airport in Rio de Janeiro, where the games are scheduled to open Aug. 5. International airports have not been affected so far.

The security firm they contracted from might not be that good,

The contract to hire and train thousands of security screeners for the Olympics in Rio starting Aug. 5 was awarded only two weeks ago to a tiny firm, raising concerns about keeping the Games safe amid global fears of terrorism.

Brazil’s government waited until July 1 to award the contract to recruit and deploy thousands of private security guards needed to monitor X-ray machines and pat down spectators for weapons and other contraband outside Olympic venues, according to documents reviewed by The Wall Street Journal and confirmed by the federal ministry that awarded the contract.

Meanwhile, the agency that issued the tender said it had to scrap plans to install 315 additional surveillance cameras at nine Olympic facilities after the contracting process failed.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/rio-games-security-plans-trigger-concerns-1468792105

For fun, here is THE DARK SIDE OF THE OLYMPICS

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/24/books/review/the-games-a-global-history-of-the-olympics-david-goldblatt.html

They might not be ready in time guys. I have a feeling.

In fairness those lines aren't from normal travel. They're being overwhelmed as the rats flee the sinking ship that is Brazil

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Why do they think airport checks are going to do anything. If there is an ISIS presence they've been there getting ready for months probably - unlike the Brazilian Olympics!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Just saw a Facebook post from this girl I know who was all hype about her tickets to Rio. I feel like it's impossible to not have heard of how horrible an idea that was so I don't know how you can tell the world you have such a bad idea.

I wonder if I'll ever see her alive again...

Do you like her? If so maybe you should warn her.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Microwaves Mom posted:

Why do they think airport checks are going to do anything. If there is an ISIS presence they've been there getting ready for months probably - unlike the Brazilian Olympics!

Do you like her? If so maybe you should warn her.

I mean yeah I guess I could ask if she knows about all the crazy poo poo, just didn't want to seem like I was making GBS threads on her excitement. I also figured it's not like she would cancel her entire trip. But now I am kinda curious as to how this came about in the first place. My guess is that her boss is paying for it and they got the tickets way in advance.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

I mean yeah I guess I could ask if she knows about all the crazy poo poo, just didn't want to seem like I was making GBS threads on her excitement. I also figured it's not like she would cancel her entire trip. But now I am kinda curious as to how this came about in the first place. My guess is that her boss is paying for it and they got the tickets way in advance.

Lol, "I was worried she'd be slightly put out so I didn't wanna mention:
  • Militarized favela gangs
  • Lack of law enforcement
  • Lack of medical infrastructure
  • A government in turmoil
  • Presence of a dangerous virus associated with neurological disorders and severe birth defects, able to stay in the hosts system and by transmitted sexually, for an unknown length of time
  • Untreated sewage water at the most popular beaches, with unbelievably high levels of drug-resistant bacteria"

Seriously though, I don't think it matters if you mention it. I don't think you can be a regular person and not have had at least some inkling of how hosed the situation is; she must know and is just shrugging off the concerns, right?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Y-Hat posted:

no it's definitely the "purity of the game" whiners. high-profile cheaters were right under their nose in the mid-90s to the early 2000s and they chose to ignore it (or, in the case of Mark McGwire being caught with andro in 1998, actively saying "who gives a poo poo") until it became more convenient for them to get mad. my parents said that denial was the exact same reaction when Ball Four was published and accused every player of popping "greenies"

good thing most of these dinosaurs will be dead in 10 years

I'm with you, but I think the "unwritten rules are good, sabermetrics is for nerds who have never played baseball" crowd really sucks too. I played through freshman baseball, which is a fair bit more baseball than most people who whine about sabermetrics and unwritten rules, and i've embarassed the hell out of people who never played a game after they were 10 years old feeling like they have an opinion on when a person "deserves" to be hit with a high-speed retaliatory pitch. I took a 95mph ball to me thigh in a retaliation throw, it was in a good spot so it didn't hurt much and it didn't cause me many problems during the game, but that poo poo often lands in worse places, and fucks people up really badly, for arbitrary reasons like "not taking your base quickly enough"

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Everyone read this article

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

pro clique

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

hemophilia posted:

I'm with you, but I think the "unwritten rules are good, sabermetrics is for nerds who have never played baseball" crowd really sucks too. I played through freshman baseball, which is a fair bit more baseball than most people who whine about sabermetrics and unwritten rules, and i've embarassed the hell out of people who never played a game after they were 10 years old feeling like they have an opinion on when a person "deserves" to be hit with a high-speed retaliatory pitch. I took a 95mph ball to me thigh in a retaliation throw, it was in a good spot so it didn't hurt much and it didn't cause me many problems during the game, but that poo poo often lands in worse places, and fucks people up really badly, for arbitrary reasons like "not taking your base quickly enough"

Pfft, what's a little deep tissue damage that might take longer than a lot of other trauma to present among friendly rivals? Man up, you pussies.

I don't watch baseball so I didn't know people whizzed tiny doom balls at you for lollygagging. That's kinda hosed up. Just allow fighting like during the entertaining days of hockey. You know, give them a couple minutes to sock it out before you blow the whistle.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
So I talked to her and she says she's well aware of the risks but is taking precautions like hiring armed guards and getting lawyers and police contacts as well as a bunch of vaccines. So I mean, not as dumb as I thought. Though sometimes I wonder if armed guards just make you a more likely target.

So yeah she's going on someone else's dollar.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

someone tell me how you need to dope to compete better in curling, shooting, and fencing

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

So I talked to her and she says she's well aware of the risks but is taking precautions like hiring armed guards and getting lawyers and police contacts as well as a bunch of vaccines. So I mean, not as dumb as I thought. Though sometimes I wonder if armed guards just make you a more likely target.

Sounds like a good way to narrow down who can afford to be ransomed.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Y-Hat posted:

someone tell me how you need to dope to compete better in curling, shooting, and fencing

Fencing on meth could be cool.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My reptilian conspiracy friend with the brazil wedding now asks if we'd like to attend the carnival too.
It looks like such a bad idea ffs.
He's french, she's from Brazil, they met in Canada and now they're getting married in the worst of the three countries.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

So yeah she's going on someone else's dollar.

She's getting abducted by the guards and ransomed off to her company

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

The paralympians were doping.

Make them test the Special Olympians.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Y-Hat posted:

An avatar bet says that the snowboarder's positive results are THC.

The Whoreax
Sep 7, 2008
I speak for the wood.

Y-Hat posted:

they doped for table tennis lmao

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

NotDeadYet posted:

they doped for table tennis lmao

p sure thats weed

lol if u aint played some ping pong while high

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

You take caffeine supplements and poo poo for shooting and fencing to keep hyper focused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kingcom posted:

You take caffeine supplements and poo poo for shooting and fencing to keep hyper focused

Wouldn't it be more like Metal Gear Solid, popping muscle relaxants for a steadier shot?

• Locked thread