Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Thanks Ants posted:

Our newest PM has sent a colleague of mine to a customers site to do a weekend switch upgrade but never arranged for the switches to get sent there.

I can't see them managing projects for much longer.

You'd think that, wouldn't you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Everybody gets a wish that comes true once don't they?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Everybody gets a wish that comes true once don't they?

No. You're thinking of Peter Pan.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

guppy posted:

You'd think that, wouldn't you?

I was sent to a client with the wrong hardware appliance (the sales man ordered the wrong one cause it was cheaper) knowing full well it was wrong and I was told to install it and pretend I couldn't figure out why it didn't work for a while and then wait for the sales guy to call and tell them I grabbed the wrong one.

I refused because that ridiculous.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Someone spun up a Server 2012R2 VMware box with an E1000E vNIC.

It hosts the database for the vCenter server instance it lives on.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
The application my company makes encrypts user passwords, I'm guessing because the devs are too lazy to build any password recovery tools. Users routinely call in for support and have their passwords just read back to them. I've complained about it since I started working there, but am not senior enough to influence development.

This week, I saw a page the development manager's notebook while we sat next to each other in a meeting. It looked like:

code:
password hashing

bcrypt

rainbow tables?

->can bruteforce

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Isn't the whole point of bcrypt to make it practically impossible to bruteforce since with enough iterations it would take literally forever to crack each password?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Fun with customers, domains, emails, etc

B&B Widgets is the companies legal name
bbwidgets@aol.com is their email
bandbwidgets.com is their website (use your own loving domain for email would ya?)

Accounting can't email these fuckers to save their life without opening a ticket with IT

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Fun with customers, domains, emails, etc

B&B Widgets is the companies legal name
bbwidgets@aol.com is their email
bandbwidgets.com is their website (use your own loving domain for email would ya?)

Accounting can't email these fuckers to save their life without opening a ticket with IT

My last job's IT guy decided to move us off of O365 to our own hosted exchange. Never mind we were a satellite office of a larger company, but he configured Exchange and got it all setup and couldn't figure out why he couldn't email from outside with out it going into his existing mailbox. He asked me to help him, and I said "do you know what an MX Record is?" He had no idea, so I just told him that you can't do this. He got really upset when I tried to explain to him what an MX record was, like someone it was my fault. After he realized his error, he got angry at me thinking I was withholding the registrar login from him so he couldn't change it, and I was trying to make him fail.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ACH payment website is down.

Call the fuckers up. Sorry, our office hours are from 7:30am to 5:00pm. Please leave a message!

Place better be on loving fire.

Edit: just called them again

"It's literally 7:30am here....we just got here and found out the site is down"

EVER HEAR OF PINGDOM?

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jul 18, 2016

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Collateral Damage posted:

Isn't the whole point of bcrypt to make it practically impossible to bruteforce since with enough iterations it would take literally forever to crack each password?

Yep and there is also scrypt which says FU to brute forcing on low memory devices (FPGA, GPUs).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

beepsandboops posted:

The application my company makes encrypts user passwords, I'm guessing because the devs are too lazy to build any password recovery tools. Users routinely call in for support and have their passwords just read back to them. I've complained about it since I started working there, but am not senior enough to influence development.

Hey I feel like I have to advocate for devs here. Most of the time devs don't have control over what features get built into a product, product managers and the like make those decisions. Those people tend to not have a complete understanding of how much a dev team can get done in a given period of time (fair enough, most devs don't know themselves), and those that do often do not care. They have a list of features a mile long with a deadline of yesterday, and the devs don't have time for side projects unless they sacrifice their own (for no extra pay). Trust me, most of us like building features that make our products look and behave like people expect them to.

Maybe your devs actually are both lazy and in control of the direction of the product, but if you don't know that for sure, don't make that your default guess.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do all dev jobs really poo poo on the concept of work/life balance? Or is it exaggerated grouchy generalizations like we make for admin / support work in here?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

anthonypants posted:

Someone spun up a Server 2012R2 VMware box with an E1000E vNIC.

It hosts the database for the vCenter server instance it lives on.

They really need to make vmxnet3 the default adapter for new guests.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do all dev jobs really poo poo on the concept of work/life balance? Or is it exaggerated grouchy generalizations like we make for admin / support work in here?

I dunno, but at my job I make 30% more than the devs/app specs doing linux administration, but I work like 50% less. It's strange.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

22 Eargesplitten posted:

No, they don't all do that. Basically all of them DO have a list of upcoming features a mile long that everyone wants done now now now. Some of them expect that you'll work longer hours and penalize you when you don't (my boss at my last job told me I was doing "the bare minimum" by not working 10 hours a day), some of them just whine that not enough gets done, but there's always pressure. The better companies just rein it in enough to not lose their best people.

Mostly I was just trying to say that it's probably not :byodood: THOSE LAZY DEVS.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Lazy or not, nobody should have their existing password recoverable. It should be reset to a new password which gets sent to that person.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

22 Eargesplitten posted:

In my experience ~1/2 of dev-jobs are 9-5, surfing facebook instead of working, at big corporations.
1/4 are meat-grinders with insane hours and no balance, some of these offer amazing perks.
1/4 are amazing places to work where a poo poo-ton gets done at a reasonable pace.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

They really need to make vmxnet3 the default adapter for new guests.
The best part is that whoever made this vm gave it a hardware level of 10, which means I can't just vSphere into the host to change it. Someone on twitter shared this with me, which looks promising, but if that doesn't work I'm just going to recreate the loving vm with sane configuration options.

Also they should make hot CPU/memory add the default, my boss is terrified of that option and doesn't believe we should use it.

e: Also if you attach an ISO it should connect the CD drive :mad:

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 18, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Can't open this file in Excel because it's XHTML instead of XLS, like it's not even the same binary format. You have to open it with IE or as an Outlook attachement (this just started happening last week from this website we use). The website tech support guy is telling me "the latest microsoft office update" is the problem. Sure.

So the guy sends me a screenshot of his Mac opening it. And he gets the same error message when opening the file (extension doesn't match the filetype)

:argh:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

MrMojok posted:

We have architects and engineers who use those plotters. They have service contracts through ARC to cover the devices, and ARC or some company like Ford Graphics installs those little workstations and puts poo poo like Abacus and OCE software on them.

In a couple of cases, there's an almost invisible little door on the side of the plotter case, and the PC is inside there. Easy to miss.

It wasn't even that - to add to the story, the PC wasn't even in the same cubicle as the plotter. I was tracing wires to the 5 port hub being used for the printer, 2 PCs and a phone, and saw one cable that went under the cube wall. There wasn't a data jack in the cube where the plotter PC is, so they just ran a cable under the wall and plugged it into the 5 port hub...instead of, y'know, putting that PC in the same cube as the plotter so everyone could find it. :downs:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The previous place I worked at -- over 4 years ago, now -- offered some web devs a Macbook to use for working, complete with the ability to take it home.

Said Macbook was heavily locked down, of course, and came with the unwritten agreement that you'd also continue working from home on either Saturday or Sunday, unpaid. Everybody was hourly aside from the owners, and any hours over 40 simply weren't recorded. Then again, they also paid a web dev literal minimum wage, so welp.

Years later I found out that the owner actually bought into the Bitcoin craze at some point and was trying to pawn off his miner. :downs:

I could write a lot of stuff about that place. I didn't work there for very long, but it was a PHP shop and it was awful. The CTO read a little bit about MVC frameworks and crapped out his own, instead of using ".php" like sane people they used their own extension based off of their company name, everything was heavily NIH. MySQL libraries copied off of old websites that just provided "wrappers" like function db_query($q) { return mysql_query($q); }, plain-text passwords, no version control...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BOOTY-ADE posted:

It wasn't even that - to add to the story, the PC wasn't even in the same cubicle as the plotter. I was tracing wires to the 5 port hub being used for the printer, 2 PCs and a phone, and saw one cable that went under the cube wall. There wasn't a data jack in the cube where the plotter PC is, so they just ran a cable under the wall and plugged it into the 5 port hub...instead of, y'know, putting that PC in the same cube as the plotter so everyone could find it. :downs:

I was really hoping there were going to be switches in the ceiling

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

anthonypants posted:

Also they should make hot CPU/memory add the default, my boss is terrified of that option and doesn't believe we should use it.

It's nice but doesn't work on all OS, Linux itself is constantly patching hot-CPU support for esoteric configurations.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 18, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

My favorite lovely networking equipment was a 10Mbit hub in a wall with a short cable going from a single port panel in the wall to a 4 column wall panel. The 4 ports were the hub, leaving you with only 3 usable ports. There was a power cord coming out of the wall that was then used to power this horrible thing. My fix to throw a gigabit 6 port switch in screw it to the underside of a desk and put a ticket in with maintenance to have the offending equipment removed and while they were at it run some real cables to the wall plate.

Still wasn't fixed when I left 4 months later, probably still in the wall without a power cord because I cut the cord with scissors after it was in use again and causing problems again. No one else could figure this out and it was an ongoing issue for several years, so no more. Now they have non working ports in the wall but gently caress it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My old boss looked at me with a straight face and said you could run the same amount of users on a 48 port switch as you could with six 8 port switches, because 6 x 8 = 48

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

anthonypants posted:

The best part is that whoever made this vm gave it a hardware level of 10, which means I can't just vSphere into the host to change it. Someone on twitter shared this with me, which looks promising, but if that doesn't work I'm just going to recreate the loving vm with sane configuration options.

e: Also if you attach an ISO it should connect the CD drive :mad:

Can't you just use PowerCLI against the host to get it done? Granted I only ever use it against vCenter, but I know you can connect directly to the host in much the same way.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I was really hoping there were going to be switches in the ceiling

I worked at a place where someone used consumer cable modem/router combos as budget port forwarding devices.

Nothing like looking in a rack and seeing a bunch of Netgear and Linksys cable modems with no coax attached, then trying to figure out what the hell they all do (because no documentation, obviously).

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

My old boss looked at me with a straight face and said you could run the same amount of users on a 48 port switch as you could with six 8 port switches, because 6 x 8 = 48

Some vendors have separate fibre uplink ports, i.e. 8+2. Some had proprietary interconnects for stacking into a virtual 48-port switch, I have some 3COM docs that cover the configuration.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sheep posted:

I worked at a place where someone used consumer cable modem/router combos as budget port forwarding devices.

Nothing like looking in a rack and seeing a bunch of Netgear and Linksys cable modems with no coax attached, then trying to figure out what the hell they all do (because no documentation, obviously).

Old boss: Hands Bob a box of old cable modem routers etc. Can we use these for anything?
Me: :v:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Can't you just use PowerCLI against the host to get it done? Granted I only ever use it against vCenter, but I know you can connect directly to the host in much the same way.
There's probably a way I can do PowerCLI against the host, and if not there's almost certainly esx-cli commands (which can be run over PowerCLI), but I'm not too familiar with that process. I haven't looked into it; my boss's boss is getting fed up with my boss postponing poo poo preventing us getting Office 365 fully set up so he's decided we're finally going to focus on Office 365 and we're not going to put it off any longer because we have a hard deadline now.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 18, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MrMoo posted:

Some vendors have separate fibre uplink ports, i.e. 8+2.

True, but these were the bottom of the barrel Netgear 8 ports

We're trying to save a quarter to spend a dollar here man. Put one of these in every department!

Then you get to play "why do workstation backups take so long when more than 2 people in one part of the building's backup jobs run at the same time?"

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Use six Fast Ethernet media converters to daisy chain all the switches together using coax Ethernet. Almost.

Cannot beat using a single cat-5e cable for two cat-3 connections to save money. Runs perfect in single line tests, the amount of line noise when both are active is impressive.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 18, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

MrMoo posted:

Use six Fast Ethernet media converters to daisy chain all the switches together using coax Ethernet. Almost.

Cannot beat using a single cat-5e cable for two cat-3 connections to save money. Runs perfect in single line tests, the amount of line noise when both are active is impressive.

Just punch two cables into the same Ethernet jack, you don't need any fancy hardware for that. Instant daisy-chaining!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
When I started at my current company, the main branch location only had a 8 port 100Mb "main" switch. But there where easily 30+ PC and various other network devices in the building. Strangely most of the PCs only had a 10Mbit half duplex connection... They had a lot of issues with random network "freezes". You managed about 400KB/sec between machines if you where lucky.
Much to my horror I soon discovered why. There where tens of 10Mbit, 4-8 port hubs hidden EVERYWHERE. Many where installed up in the drop ceilings, with outlets specifically wired in to power them. Even found one INSIDE a wall that had seemingly been drywalled over. Its power cord was running out of a hole near the bottom of the wall and plugging into a nearby outlet. There where hubs, connected to hubs, connected to other hubs. Some runs where CAT3 using screw terminal RJ45 jacks. I would say more than half the network traffic at times was nothing but collisions. It seems in the past, any time they needed a new network port, they threw a cheap 4 10Mbit port hub from Microcenter on an existing line and split it off from there.

Ended up re-running nearly all the lines and abandoning that abomination of a network in place. Replaced it all with a single 48-port 100Mbit switch which was later upgraded to 1Gbit.

To this day I occasionally find a random hub stuffed somewhere, usually up in the drop ceiling.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

stevewm posted:

Ended up re-running nearly all the lines and abandoning that abomination of a network in place. Replaced it all with a single 48-port 100Mbit switch which was later upgraded to 1Gbit.

At my first full-time job I replaced a stack of10mb and 100mb hubs with 3com (dating myself a little) 100mb SWITCHES, told everyone how much faster it would be any the only people who noticed were the AutoCAD guys. But they loving loved it and bought me Jimmy Johns all the time after that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Bob Morales posted:

At my first full-time job I replaced a stack of10mb and 100mb hubs with 3com (dating myself a little) 100mb SWITCHES, told everyone how much faster it would be any the only people who noticed were the AutoCAD guys. But they loving loved it and bought me Jimmy Johns all the time after that.

You at least had a reason to run into a 10mbit hub, in 2014/15 running into them as often as I did was horrifying. Also the policy of "hang on to them" Oh and our massive 48 port 10mbit hub that we just couldn't throw out because it could be useful that made buzzing sounds when turned on.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

oh 10Mb hubs :)

I run into them every so often because our customer used to use them and the equipment never died so it didn't get replaced with switches. Crossover ports are fun when chaining hubs, also all the problems that arise because other techs can be boneheaded and barely, if at all, understand crossover more than our customers.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pixaal posted:

You at least had a reason to run into a 10mbit hub, in 2014/15 running into them as often as I did was horrifying. Also the policy of "hang on to them" Oh and our massive 48 port 10mbit hub that we just couldn't throw out because it could be useful that made buzzing sounds when turned on.

"Oh look, it ~accidentally~ shorted out on its own. We did document that it made a buzzing noise when on, so it was inevitable and now we can throw it out..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
its really fun taking on new clients with old buildings and finding all sorts of 10mbit goodies stashed away in closets, behind desks or in the ceiling

:smithicide: