Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

So they've canceled 10ftc and from now on atv will be filmed once every 4 weeks?

MilesK fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

MilesK posted:

So they've canceled 10ftc and from now on atv will be filmed once every 4 weeks?

no its more like AtV will be rotated from one studio to the next every week. Next week LA, then UK, then Austin, then Germany. Repeat.

10ftc is gone, and this is also likely to be RtV's last week. Like all things Star Citizen, these features will be replaced by things that are even better, but we don't know when or what they are and CIG can't tell us. :downs:

A Neurotic Jew fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 18, 2016

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

A Neurotic Jew posted:

haha Lethality is disturbingly unintelligent.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

see you in the verse :smugdon:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

why does Lando say 'lots of preparing for gamescon' when he just told everyone they wouldn't be doing anything aside from watching people stream

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MilesK posted:

Clearly the 104TC replacement that is totally a priority and not being binned for the forseeable future is right around the corner guys.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

CitCon will be the awesomest thing, do we have someone on the inside?
Ideally, we'd need a goon who was stupid enough to have bought into Star Citizen. Seems unlikely.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Clearly the 104TC replacement that is totally a priority and not being binned for the forseeable future is right around the corner guys.

I know everyone is in 'be nice to Ben' mode because he's sick ... but i bet a space hot tub they spin this into an easy out for any updates or news for the next 2-3 weeks

'Sorry guys we are all busy keeping vigil beside Ben so no updates until 1 week before gamescon ... and the new ship for sale'

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Lol if he thinks SC will get more coverage at gamescon than at citcon

CitCon will be the awesomest thing, do we have someone on the inside?

refer to Phase 4 in your manual.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

I know everyone is in 'be nice to Ben' mode because he's sick ... but i bet a space hot tub they spin this into an easy out for any updates or news for the next 2-3 weeks

'Sorry guys we are all busy keeping vigil beside Ben so no updates until 1 week before gamescon ... and the new ship for sale'

I'll be surprised if they don't do some sort of sale to help raise money for his medical bills (and maybe a little off the top for CIG, those coffee machines don't buy themselves).

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

A Neurotic Jew posted:

no its more like AtV will be rotated from one studio to the next every week. Next week LA, then UK, then Austin, then Germany. Repeat.

10ftc is gone, and this is also likely to be RtV's last week. Like all things Star Citizen, these features will be replaced by things that are even better, but we don't know when or what they are and CIG can't tell us. :downs:

So how much Sandi, Ben, and Chris are we getting now? Did they finally realize how much people detest those clowns?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Posting from the past (not completely caught up).

No. Romanticize my involvement anyway you want, but the ToS is still pretty tight. CIG wasn't compelled to offer a refund - they did so on their own accord. And contrary to what some of you believe, this is not a 'legal' precedent - nice try. I'm glad that Streetroller got his cash back. Buyer's remorse is a terrible feeling and perhaps streetroller might be more conscientious with his spending on goods/services that may or may not be tangible. However, I'm not going to nitpick on semantics or try to detract from any of your beliefs. I still hold that CIG has much more to show and are much better off than in the picture some of you are trying to paint.

Now back to the 50 pages I need to catch-up.

So when you say 'not compelled' you mean 'inside the US and not the EU and Australia where the TOS is unlawful, right?'

And when you say 'not compelled' you mean 'because they really, really didn't want any actual legal attention or holy gently caress a judge looking at that TOS and tearing it to shreds' right?

I'm just trying to be clear on your understanding, which historically has been that of someone who neither understands accounting, nor the law, in any jurisdiction.

Also, it's a poo poo tech demo that is going to amount to the biggest con in gaming, get your refund asap.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

I'll be surprised if they don't do some sort of sale to help raise money for his medical bills (and maybe a little off the top for CIG, those coffee machines don't buy themselves).

The only possible thing cig could do right now to redeem themselves even a bit would be to announce they're covering all of his medical costs and hiring him a personal trainer and dietician

Hell take Crobberts' he obviously doesn't use them

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Lethality knows how advertising works:

Of course they have things they would have shown at e3 and gamescom but why would they want to show off all of the good things to a bunch of randos at E3 and Gamescom?!?!?!?! They are saving the really good things for the backers!

Coincidentally this gives them several more months to come up with some minor change / bare minimum amount of progress we can literally burst into tears of joy over. A trailer showing "in engine footage? Some of the tens of hours of MoCAP footage? A cutscene of a ship shooting at another ship? Maybe a Bengal "in engine" entering slipstream or something!! I will literally wet myself with excitement and adulation.

If they don't have anything at citizencon choose from one of the following excuses

1.) They are so close to finishing they don't need to show progress
2.) Maybe you aren't badass enough to handle the high stress industry of game development, which you don't understand
3.) The Hoover Dam took five years to complete! Since they didn't even start until 2015 we have until 2020 to start being worried!
4.) PRE ALPHA
5.) OPEN DEVELOPMENT
6.) :qq:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Streetroller
Jun 11, 2016

PST posted:

So when you say 'not compelled' you mean 'inside the US and not the EU and Australia where the TOS is unlawful, right?'

And when you say 'not compelled' you mean 'because they really, really didn't want any actual legal attention or holy gently caress a judge looking at that TOS and tearing it to shreds' right?

I'm just trying to be clear on your understanding, which historically has been that of someone who neither understands accounting, nor the law, in any jurisdiction.

Also, it's a poo poo tech demo that is going to amount to the biggest con in gaming, get your refund asap.

What MoMa doesn't realize is that if they had an ironclad ToS, refusing the refund at the DA would not have costed them a loving dime.
HOWEVER, what MoMa doesn't want to face, is that I had a law firm that specifically deals with consumer fraud already on the take working for contingency, which doesn't cost me a loving dime.

So if they had refused, they would have been dragged into court for treble-damages, $3000 would suddenly turn into $9000 + damages on every count of consumer fraud.

See, he doesn't want to actually do any research because he might find out he's actually full of it.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Streetroller posted:

What MoMa doesn't realize is that if they had an ironclad ToS, refusing the refund at the DA would not have costed them a loving dime.
HOWEVER, what MoMa doesn't want to face, is that I had a law firm that specifically deals with consumer fraud already on the take working for contingency, which doesn't cost me a loving dime.

So if they had refused, they would have been dragged into court for treble-damages, $3000 would suddenly turn into $9000 + damages on every count of consumer fraud.

See, he doesn't want to actually do any research because he might find out he's actually full of it.

:drat:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Barn Folk posted:

So how much Sandi, Ben, and Chris are we getting now? Did they finally realize how much people detest those clowns?

My guess would be very little of Ben and Sandi. Lando already said that we wouldn't be seeing much of him after this friday's AtV. The Agent's assertion that they are going to be hiring a more professional streamer dude for on camera time makes sense to me.

As for Chris, my guess is that whatever format they create to replace 10ftc will allow him to pop in and out depending on whether there is actually something to show or not. If not they will saddle someone from a lower tier to share bad news or stretch out an ItsNothing.jpg segment.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Streetroller posted:

I bet MoMA wishes he could afford a law firm, or that he had the legal wherewithal and insight to figure out how to get his money back so he could afford one. Alas… :(

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

:five:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sunswipe posted:

Sappo569 posted:

The only possible thing cig could do right now to redeem themselves even a bit would be to announce they're covering all of his medical costs and hiring him a personal trainer and dietician

Hell take Crobberts' he obviously doesn't use them

I've heard a few folks say CIG self-insures. They may already be covering his medical costs.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Sappo569 posted:

why does Lando say 'lots of preparing for gamescon' when he just told everyone they wouldn't be doing anything aside from watching people stream

They have to construct the idris bridge booth for the convention from junk they find washed up on the beach.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

For Gamescon, we can probably just reuse the one I made ages ago.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sappo569 posted:

Maybe it's a surprise.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Maybe it's a surprise.

Maybe it's Maybeline.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Just gonna keep posting this until toast responds

Hey toast remember when you posted all of this?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Your "agreement" is continued use of their services. This is NOT a hard concept to understand Derek. Their TOS is enforced via a combination of fundamental clickwrap and browsewrap ideas. Did you make an account? Yes? Ok - you affirmatively agreed to be bound by the ToS with your continued use of the site, forums, launcher and/or game. Don't want to be bound by a new version of the ToS? Don't login, don't use the game and don't browse the forums (Of course, the public, non-walled version of the forums are for general use. But, there are areas that require an account to access). You do NOT need to continuously CLICK a BUTTON to agree to the ToS revisions.

But here's the deal Derek - if you're so keen on your understanding of US common law precedent, contract law, UCC, etc., then by all means, have your "source" or "sources" continue to use CIG's services and try and bring whatever legal action you plan. Or, if you are not planning legal action, please: try and initiate an investigation. After all, we know you're so well connected to State AGs, federal agencies and lawyers.

ManofManyAliases posted:

It's not a purchase - it is a pledge. If we're strictly speaking of US-based accounts, you're not entitled to a refund. At least, that's how I have interpreted it.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Smart - you are unequivocally wrong. Just because you post something doesn't make it so - let's get that straight. I don't care how many PhDs you claim to have, how many times you've used "legal" (TheTicketCenter doesn't count), or how many times you have sued others or were sued yourself: you're not an expert on law and you don't know what you're talking about.

When you go to https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist to create an account, you have to AFFIRMATIVELY click a checkbox indicating you have read and agree to the Terms of Service. In so doing, you are FORMING A CONTRACT, no different than in Brick and Mortar stores, for the use of the goods or services. This is, by definition, a clickwrap agreement. And, such agreements have been deemed legal and upheld. The most famous case of which is Feldman v. Google, Inc, where Judge Giles basically held that if an online user has been given reasonable notice of the agreement’s term and it is clear that once the user clicks on the acceptance “button”, then the user agrees to be bound by those terms ... the online clickwrap agreement becomes binding on the online user.

The basic tennant of this law is evidenced in Restatements Second of Contracts, Restatement 19:

(1) The manifestation of assent may be made wholly or partly by written or spoken words or by other acts or by failure to act.
(2) The conduct of a party is not effective as a manifestation of his assent unless he intends to engage in the conduct and knows or has reason to know that the other party may infer from his conduct that he assents.
(3) The conduct of a party may manifest assent even though he does not in fact assent. In such cases a resulting contract may be voidable because of fraud, duress, mistake, or other invalidating cause.

I'll summarize it for you, since this was basic poo poo that we learned in first year of law school:

In common law (the Restatements are the most recognized treatise on contract law by the way) courts will focus on whether there was reasonable notice of and manifested assent to the agreement at hand. An affirmative "click" of the checkbox agreeing to the terms satisfies this "focus." That is what Feldman upheld. But here, I'll give you one more example:

In Be In, Inc v Google, Inc, 2013 the courts basically concluded that assent even more attenuated in browsewrap agreements than in the clickwrap or shrinkwrap contexts because “users can continue to use the website or its services without visiting the page hosting the browsewrap agreement or even knowing that such a webpage exists.” Be In, Inc. v. Google Inc., No. 12–cv–03373–LHK, 2013 WL 5568706, at *6. In other words, the courts concluded users are required to have actual or constructive knowledge of a website’s terms and conditions before enforcing browsewrap (or click wrap) agreements. Again - this court cited Restatement Second, 19.

tl;dr You are wrong. You have no legal grounds. You are talking out of your rear end. The End.

P.S. - Since we're all friends on these forums, if you want a primer on these legal foci, I'd be happy to send you some of my notes. Just PM me.

ManofManyAliases posted:

You're thinking of click-wrap agreements. By using software or service, you abide by the Terms of Service set forth:

"PLEASE READ THESE TERMS OF SERVICE (“TERMS OF SERVICE”) CAREFULLY. BY CLICKING THE “ACCEPT” BUTTON AT THE END OF THESE TERMS OF SERVICE BELOW, OR BY USING THE https://www.robertsspaceindustries.com WEBSITE AND RELATED WEBPAGES (THE “WEBSITE”) OR ANY OF THE CONTENT MADE AVAILABLE VIA THE WEBSITE OR THE GAME LAUNCHER. YOU AGREE THAT THESE TERMS OF SERVICE ARE ENFORCEABLE LIKE ANY WRITTEN CONTRACT SIGNED BY YOU."

The ToS just needs to be "noticeable and opportune to view."

"Section 19(2) of the Restatement (Second) of Contracts, a major codification of contract law, states assent may be manifested through conduct with or without words or action provided that “[t]he conduct of a party is not effective as a manifestation of his assent unless he intends to engage in the conduct and knows or has reason to know that the other party may infer from his conduct that he assents.”

Second Circuit says: "Acceptance need not be express, but where it is not, there must be evidence that the offeree knew or should have known of the terms and understood that acceptance of the benefit would be construed by the offeror as an agreement to be bound"

And did you notice in the correspondence between CIG and streetroller they tried to force the new ToS on streetroller who had never logged into the site or played the alpha? He also enacted the refund before "good faith" could be established as forcing him into the ToS and they flat out lied to the AG along with PayPal about delivering the game to streetroller.

Also let me remind you of the legal definition of a pledge:

quote:

A pledge is a bailment that conveys possessory title to property owned by a debtor (the pledgor) to a creditor (the pledgee) to secure repayment for some debt or obligation and to the mutual benefit of both parties. The term is also used to denote the property which constitutes the security.

In the agreement between streetroller and CIG they had until May 2016 to produce the game or he was entitled to a full refund. There was no "good faith", the agreement between the two on the ToS he agreed to at time of purchase entitled him to a refund. The only reason he got it is because of bringing the AG in and them pretending like it was a kind gesture to give him the refund when he was entitled to the refund or they would have to provide financials.

So please, explain to me how he was forced into the new ToS without ever touching the game or having been on the website since the ToS change and how this refund was "good faith"

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

PST posted:

Yes, I'm speaking about within the US. I don't know European Consumer Protection Laws (i.e: I have not googled European CPLs).

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
:siren: 2.5 FEATURE LIST :siren:

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
What do I know I'm just an idiot for thinking that I could get a refund and that Sandi is probably going to go to jail.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Streetroller posted:

For that sum, it would have been settled long before it would be kicked to small-claims court. But please, have that CA AG letter framed if it puts a smile on your face.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

For that sum, it would have been settled long before it would be kicked to small-claims court. But please, have that CA AG letter framed if it puts a smile on your face.

So based on your previous track record of legal judgements, they would have not have settled; it would not have been kicked to small-claims court, and CIG would have had to pay a pretty shocking sum of money.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've met Ben in real life, and likely interacted with him more than most folks on this forum. I don't particularly like him, but I still wish for his health. Not just for him but also for those around him. His wife is a ridiculously sweet and kind person.

I don't want anyone to die, especially not in a miserable way...

As far as Alexis being ridiculously sweet and kind? Duh! She married Ben...

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Why do you have to be so passive aggressive mad at Streetroller?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Truga posted:

What happens in mission 69 tho?

Depends on the cycle of Broken Moon.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

:smug: "They have no legal grounds for a Refund, the TOS has no problems
:colbert: "Except I do, it does, here's proof of exactly why and how you are wrong"
:smug: "It would have been settled out of court so I'm not right, you are just wrong, as you would never have been able to actually convict them of anything"

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

A Neurotic Jew posted:

:siren: 2.5 FEATURE LIST :siren:

CIG considers "items" a game feature

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

flyboi posted:

Just gonna keep posting this until toast responds

Hey toast remember when you posted all of this?

And did you notice in the correspondence between CIG and streetroller they tried to force the new ToS on streetroller who had never logged into the site or played the alpha? He also enacted the refund before "good faith" could be established as forcing him into the ToS and they flat out lied to the AG along with PayPal about delivering the game to streetroller.

Also let me remind you of the legal definition of a pledge:

In the agreement between streetroller and CIG they had until May 2016 to produce the game or he was entitled to a full refund. There was no "good faith", the agreement between the two on the ToS he agreed to at time of purchase entitled him to a refund. The only reason he got it is because of bringing the AG in and them pretending like it was a kind gesture to give him the refund when he was entitled to the refund or they would have to provide financials.

So please, explain to me how he was forced into the new ToS without ever touching the game or having been on the website since the ToS change and how this refund was "good faith"

Right. I don't know the details of when he logged in (or if he did login before or after the 2.4 ToS release) or if he accessed forums (constituting a login) or updated his game client (also constituting a login). Point is, I don't know his details except that any pledge made outside of the Kickstarter is subject to a ToS that had a clause stating that the estimated delivery date is not a firm promise, although CIG will make an attempt to do so. I'm not seeing where in Ortwin's letter they are forcing the new ToS upon him.

I can't speak to the paypal issue because 1) I'm just a loving backer 2) I don't know if he pledged for physical goods 3) companies sometimes provide "tracking nubmers" (really order numbers) for online digital goods.

No where in the AG letter did they compel CIG to pay. They're merely responding to a complaint and offering CIG a chance to do the same.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

ManofManyAliases posted:

No where in the AG letter did they compel CIG to pay. They're merely responding to a complaint and offering CIG a chance to do the same.

If the TOS was iron clad why would the AG letter convince CIG to give him a refund after initially denying it?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Nicholas posted:

CIG considers "items" a game feature

Read it again; that's just the "ridiculously abbreviated" version of the list. So there are obviously going to be far more features than that

I'm excited, guys. 2.5 is going to be the version that proves to everyone that we didn't waste our money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

ManofManyAliases posted:

Right. I don't know the details of when he logged in (or if he did login before or after the 2.4 ToS release) or if he accessed forums (constituting a login) or updated his game client (also constituting a login). Point is, I don't know his details except that any pledge made outside of the Kickstarter is subject to a ToS that had a clause stating that the estimated delivery date is not a firm promise, although CIG will make an attempt to do so. I'm not seeing where in Ortwin's letter they are forcing the new ToS upon him.

I can't speak to the paypal issue because 1) I'm just a loving backer 2) I don't know if he pledged for physical goods 3) companies sometimes provide "tracking nubmers" (really order numbers) for online digital goods.

I will tell you why. It's because the links that Ortwin provides go to the NEW TOS, not the TOS both he and I were subject to.

As they say in law school. A LIE.

• Locked thread