Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
And going in the opposite direction the Yamibito in siren 2 head heads... FOR BODIES! :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Wamdoodle posted:

I never got to play it. I ended up watching a subtitled LP of it. I'm no sure if you can even get that game anywhere now. It used to be on Steam I think.
I'll LP it if I gotta, but I think I'll wait to see if it shows up on steam or gog or whatever. It always baffles me when old back catalog games vanish from those services, and I got to figure that publishers like money more than they hate their old games.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drunken Baker posted:

And going in the opposite direction the Yamibito in siren 2 head heads... FOR BODIES! :vince:

I really need to replay this. I also need to get the remaster for ps4

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Skyscraper posted:

I'll LP it if I gotta, but I think I'll wait to see if it shows up on steam or gog or whatever. It always baffles me when old back catalog games vanish from those services, and I got to figure that publishers like money more than they hate their old games.

Yeah it sucks re: publishers but that's the way it goes :/ If you do end up watching an LP, I recommend our very own Blister's play through here:

http://lparchive.org/Cryostasis-(by-Blister)/

Minimal subtitled commentary and informative.

Baron Corbyn posted:

I ended up looking for it on Steam after talking about it here and buying it. It's 40% off right now.

I may go ahead and jump on this. Thanks :)

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah it sucks re: publishers but that's the way it goes :/ If you do end up watching an LP, I recommend our very own Blister's play through here:

http://lparchive.org/Cryostasis-(by-Blister)/

Minimal subtitled commentary and informative.
Ah, two features I look for in an LP! Thanks!

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

Ugghh those were so goofy. Was I the only one thoroughly let down by Siren 2? The story was interesting and some of the gimmicks were great (seeing eye dog navigation!!!!) but the atmosphere and, uh, "monster" design couldn't compare to the first. Forbidden Siren is one of the few games that's managed to give me that "immediately turn on all the lights after you're done playing" kind of vibe, and even Blood Curse recaptured a little bit of that magic. The only stages I remember in Siren 2 that came anywhere near the other two in tension were the ones where you played the kid and his mysterious sister.

I still appreciate it for what is and the improvements it made, even if the horror part of it was.... lacking. A lot. I want to like it, though. Maybe it's just time for me to revisit it and give it another chance with fresh eyes.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Finally bough the last Evil Within DLC and finished it: it's a shame the game got split up, and even moreso the DLC.
I can and have made a case for the main campaign being a good game on by itself, but you'd do yourself a disservice if, like me, you play the dlcs non continuously; the gameplay focus of the second half of Kidman's dlc would really work better if you come straight away from the first one.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cloche posted:

Ugghh those were so goofy. Was I the only one thoroughly let down by Siren 2? The story was interesting and some of the gimmicks were great (seeing eye dog navigation!!!!) but the atmosphere and, uh, "monster" design couldn't compare to the first. Forbidden Siren is one of the few games that's managed to give me that "immediately turn on all the lights after you're done playing" kind of vibe, and even Blood Curse recaptured a little bit of that magic. The only stages I remember in Siren 2 that came anywhere near the other two in tension were the ones where you played the kid and his mysterious sister.

I still appreciate it for what is and the improvements it made, even if the horror part of it was.... lacking. A lot. I want to like it, though. Maybe it's just time for me to revisit it and give it another chance with fresh eyes.

I loved Siren 2 for the utterly bizarre and expanded universe stuff it brought to the table. I'll have to rewatch EgoManiac's LP of it soon because I've forgotten a lot of it and he even helped me translate some words into their Yamibito language for a tattoo.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

One of the neat things about Siren was even when it reused areas, it did so cleverly. Or if enough time had passed, old areas had changed significantly. The way the shibito hammered together some huge maze-like hive out of planks over time was fascinating.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Has any horror game ever really ironed out an insect like enemy as well as or better than Siren? They always came off as more zombie than anything else to me. But I'd be interested in something that actually shows part of a map being deteriorated and re-purposed elsewhere - like say tearing off planks and then barfing on them somewhere else to form some kind of hive mold.

I say this as someone that absolutely hates bugs to the point where I freak even if I hear buzzing noises right next to my ear thinking its a bee or something.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Bugs are too cute and precious to be spooky, sorry

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Crabtree posted:

Has any horror game ever really ironed out an insect like enemy as well as or better than Siren? They always came off as more zombie than anything else to me. But I'd be interested in something that actually shows part of a map being deteriorated and re-purposed elsewhere - like say tearing off planks and then barfing on them somewhere else to form some kind of hive mold.

I say this as someone that absolutely hates bugs to the point where I freak even if I hear buzzing noises right next to my ear thinking its a bee or something.
Not to that degree but some good ones are the Novistadors in RE4 and while they're not explicitly bugs I always equated the Pendulums from SH3 as hosed up bees from hell.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Speedball posted:

One of the neat things about Siren was even when it reused areas, it did so cleverly. Or if enough time had passed, old areas had changed significantly. The way the shibito hammered together some huge maze-like hive out of planks over time was fascinating.

Or the time you replay the house level.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I will never forgive Siren 2 for getting me interested in Gunkanjima because that trip has to be one of the most disappointing places to visit in the world.

Forbidden Siren remains one of my favourite games of all time. Hopefully Project Siren end up going back to horror at some point because between that and the original Silent Hill, they're clearly pretty talented at it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

exploding mummy posted:

Or the time you replay the house level.

I was going to mention that but I forgot! That was great.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
All of EgoManiac's Siren 2 videos were hosted on now defunct sites. I wonder if he still has them on an old hard drive somewhere. I'll have to send a PM inquiring about it.

Mr. Sunabouzu
Nov 13, 2009

The face of true terror.

Drunken Baker posted:

All of EgoManiac's Siren 2 videos were hosted on now defunct sites. I wonder if he still has them on an old hard drive somewhere. I'll have to send a PM inquiring about it.

Yeah but thankfully most of the old SA lp's were put up on archive.org. That one is over at https://archive.org/details/LP_Siren_2

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Oh my! That's my night sorted then. Thanks for the heads up!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Crabtree posted:

More an action game with horror elements than pure horror, but Metro Last Light has some pretty tense tunnel areas turned into lairs by bug monsters.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Hmm, would the Glasp count as one cause it certainly scared the poo poo out of me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0dUgkoOcYA

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

getting caught by a Glasp unawares for the first time was pretty shocking, yeah. Probably one of the few invisible enemies in games that I actually like, and the effect on the screen when one is nearby always puts you nicely on edge.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Looks like there's a DLC coming for Layers of Fear, hope its a little less scripted than the base game.

Thanks for posting that Siren link, seeing someone blast through the levels makes me want to pick it back up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

smuh posted:

getting caught by a Glasp unawares for the first time was pretty shocking, yeah. Probably one of the few invisible enemies in games that I actually like, and the effect on the screen when one is nearby always puts you nicely on edge.

I liked how if you were aiming as Barry Natalia would yell out "more left! No, right! It's coming!"

Of course you could switch to her to see its aura too, but still.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i just saw that there's an umbrella corp demo on ps4 going from the 22-23. seems like a better idea for a game that surely has dire sales would be a lost planet approach, one free stage to people to try, available for a long time

al-azad
May 28, 2009

After Operation Raccoon City I want to meet the exec who greenlit Umbrella Corps. I would call ORC mediocre-but-competent while Umbrella Corps looks like hot garbage. Even the official Capcom video makes no attempts to hype the viewer.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

ORC is absolutely in my top 3 worst horrible garbage games I've ever paid for, so it is one hell of an achievement for Umbrella Corps to look even more unappealing.

seriously though orc was insanely lovely and re6 with all its faults is such a masterpiece in comparison. Please nobody ever play it. Or UC, obviously.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Umbrella Corps looks like one of those games that could honestly be fun in a dumb way, if it was just a good deal cheaper. If that game were going for :10bux: or something I could see getting it for the novelty.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
welp i'm already turned off playing UC after not even one full round. i selected mutli mission, won first part which was team deathmatch, next was hold the briefcase longer. literally NO ONE could figure out how to pick up the case. people were obviously trying and not just shooting each other either, since they were standing and moving around it. i just gave up and quit the game mid match, no wonder this has 12 people online playing on steam. normally i'd just chalk it up to me being an idiot but when 6 people couldnt figure it out... what a terrible first impression

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
A new abstract sense of horror. The ability to not even figure out how to play it!

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Why do people beef with ORC? I'm seriously asking, I have it in my library but haven't ever touched it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Danknificent posted:

Why do people beef with ORC? I'm seriously asking, I have it in my library but haven't ever touched it.

I don't know where to even start quite honestly. Everything about the game feels wrong. You seem to die way too easily yet enemies are gigantic bulletsponges even with the strongest weapons and there's tons of scripted sequences and stuff in the level design where if your team doesn't figure out the exact events you need to do, you'll have a hard time of it. If you do play it, you absolutely need to play it online because the AI is dumber than a sack of bricks. It's fairly glitchy too. But really, the biggest problem is that it feels wrong to play and I know that's a rather abstract criticism but, it just doesn't feel fun at all.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.
Fair enough

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Relin posted:

i just saw that there's an umbrella corp demo on ps4 going from the 22-23. seems like a better idea for a game that surely has dire sales would be a lost planet approach, one free stage to people to try, available for a long time

They could have tried making a good game instead

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't know where to even start quite honestly. Everything about the game feels wrong. You seem to die way too easily yet enemies are gigantic bulletsponges even with the strongest weapons and there's tons of scripted sequences and stuff in the level design where if your team doesn't figure out the exact events you need to do, you'll have a hard time of it. If you do play it, you absolutely need to play it online because the AI is dumber than a sack of bricks. It's fairly glitchy too. But really, the biggest problem is that it feels wrong to play and I know that's a rather abstract criticism but, it just doesn't feel fun at all.

The biggest thing that killed it, for me at least, was the bullet spongey enemies. It makes each stage draaaaaaaaaag.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It tries to be a cover based shooter but it's wrapped around arcade shooter trappings. So it's really speed intensive and totally balanced around encounters with various "mid-boss" enemies that have a ton of health. But unlike something like Vanquish or Binary Domain you play as generic soldiers with no special abilities or unique firepower to make up for all the monsters you're fighting. I wouldn't be surprised if the game is built on Lost Planet's engine because they feel similar but LP gives you a robust armory and is focused on arcade action over precise shooting.

Also OCR uses RE6's aiming system for some reason. You have a big rear end crosshair to show where you're aiming but some guns have a red dot to show where your bullets are hitting. Every gun feels inaccurate which lends to the overall "wrong" game feel.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Not a game, but I'd like to recommend the Netflix original series Stranger Things to the thread because it scratched a lot of horror/sci-fi itches for me, personally! It did a lot of Silent Hill things way better than the Silent Hill movie did those things.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

VoidBurger posted:

Not a game, but I'd like to recommend the Netflix original series Stranger Things to the thread because it scratched a lot of horror/sci-fi itches for me, personally! It did a lot of Silent Hill things way better than the Silent Hill movie did those things.

Thanks for this, sounds like something to check out.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

VoidBurger posted:

will do

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
resident evil outbreak was a good game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

VoidBurger posted:

SOLD!

Everyone I've spoke to compared it to SUPER 8 of all loving things and I hated that film...