Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
In a landmark international licensing agreement, each episode of the highly anticipated new Star Trek series will be available to Netflix members exclusively in the 188 countries within 24 hours of the United States premiere. Further, all 727 existing episodes within the Star Trek television library – spanning from The Original Series, The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine to Voyager and Enterprise – will be available on Netflix around the globe by the end of 2016.*

* except Canada, where it will be exclusively on CraveTV, Bell Media’s streaming video-on-demand service. :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
gently caress the gay rear end media landscape in this country

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Is it a gay-rear end media landscape, or a gay rear end-media landscape?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Both seem relevant to current media standards.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That depends on the state of the Chuck Tingle exclusivity agreement.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

less than three posted:

* except Canada, where it will be exclusively on CraveTV, Bell Media’s streaming video-on-demand service. :suicide:

Also the US, where CBS is putting the new series on their own SVOD service instead (the back catalog, as I understand it, is non-exclusively licensed, so if the new series turns out to be a lemon Nothing Will Change.)

Mederlock posted:

gently caress the gay rear end media landscape in this country

Competition: only a good thing when we like the people that win.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I dislike exclusivity deals in general, even though it's just the name of the game. And every cent less I pay to one of the major Canadian telecom/cable companies, the happier I am.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
Is there an ISP in Toronto that has really low latency? I'm on Teksavvy (Rogers) right now and getting ~15ms to https://www.google.ca which isn't bad but then again I have to assume Google has a server ~1ms from where I live midtown. 25Mb/s downstream would be fine but obviously the more the better.

I just got Bell to wire me for fibre so I'll have that option in a couple weeks once it's all hooked up to the main office. No Beanfield here.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Beanfield

Alternately, anyone offering actual fiber in your building.

Edit: welp.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 19, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

less than three posted:

In a landmark international licensing agreement, each episode of the highly anticipated new Star Trek series will be available to Netflix members exclusively in the 188 countries within 24 hours of the United States premiere. Further, all 727 existing episodes within the Star Trek television library – spanning from The Original Series, The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine to Voyager and Enterprise – will be available on Netflix around the globe by the end of 2016.*

You didn't post a link, so i want to doubt the veracity of your post...

... except that I live in Canada. :negative:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I haven't used Crave, but Bell's in-house browser streaming has always been abysmal compared to the American networks they geoblocked.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Macys posted:

You didn't post a link, so i want to doubt the veracity of your post...

... except that I live in Canada. :negative:

http://www.startrek.com/article/international-broadcasters-set-for-new-star-trek-series

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

less than three posted:

Don't forget that your southern hick neighbors have the same issue. You have to buy into CBS's streaming service to get it down here. At least you guys have the option to move to the UK and pretend to be British. :(

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Internaut! posted:

Is there an ISP in Toronto that has really low latency? I'm on Teksavvy (Rogers) right now and getting ~15ms to https://www.google.ca which isn't bad but then again I have to assume Google has a server ~1ms from where I live midtown. 25Mb/s downstream would be fine but obviously the more the better.

They probably don't, actually; as far as I know Google has no datacentres in Canada. That said, I get 7ms to google.ca from Guelph on TekSavvy ADSL.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I would be genuinely curious to see how many people subscribe to Crave nationwide. Is it even 1,000,000?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

slidebite posted:

I would be genuinely curious to see how many people subscribe to Crave nationwide. Is it even 1,000,000?

It had approximately 730,000 a year ago, according to the star.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I give a friend guff for subscribing to one of them, but she wants to watch The Sopranos.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
At this point if you're paying for cable you're dumb and BWM but I guess those attributes are shared by 99% of Canadians.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

mediaphage posted:

It had approximately 730,000 a year ago, according to the star.

Probably artificially inflated by all the subscriptions they hand out for "free" (ie: Bell gives it to subscribers of TMN.)

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Next time I visit my folks in Australia, I should set up a VPN server on an rPi and VPN into it whenever I want to watch something geocoded. Fucks sake.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
My parents have Crave whereas I completely cut the cord 5 years ago. That being said, in a strange reversal, Canadian Netflix is the only one with Force Awakens.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

It is interesting though how many non geek people I have talked to about ways to cut the cable and get various tv shows or sports streams.

Cable companies have got to know their time is limited before the majority cut cable and are just trying to gouge us as much as possible. Meanwhile, since most cable companies are ALSO ISPs, they set the expectations as low as possible for their internet services.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

My parents have Crave whereas I completely cut the cord 5 years ago. That being said, in a strange reversal, Canadian Netflix is the only one with Force Awakens.

Netflix entered a partnership with Disney a while ago.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Slightly on-topic but does anyone know how to get Rogers to stop snail mailing me spam twice a month? It's addressed mail so Canada Post has to deliver it but it's addressed to "Resident". I have never had any service with Rogers.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

EngineerJoe posted:

Slightly on-topic but does anyone know how to get Rogers to stop snail mailing me spam twice a month? It's addressed mail so Canada Post has to deliver it but it's addressed to "Resident". I have never had any service with Rogers.

I think this would entirely depend on your province. Bell does the same and regularly sends me mail addressed to "Better service for the residents of (my address)". It infuriates me that not only paper is wasted to print this lying drivel, but there is no way to opt out.

I tried complaining directly to them, no good. I tried reporting them to the customer protection agency for Quebec, but I don't think they reply to their automated forms. I'll have to actually phone to know anything, I think.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Need to find a way to Return to Sender.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'm in Ontario. Its easy to return to sender but I imagine that just gets shredded.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mister Macys posted:

Netflix entered a partnership with Disney a while ago.
I think the other half of the equation is that Disney entered into a partnership with Starz which captures most of their legacy output in both Canada and US but the newer stuff (Force Awakens) is available to Canada only, as Starz doesn't have a foot in here.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

less than three posted:

CraveTv isn't bad (It's part of my cable package) but for the fact it has maybe the worst interface in the history of humanity, it loads worse then a website since like 1999.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

What do you expect them to do? Make it so good you watch it instead of cable, and stop watching commercials!?!

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Mister Macys posted:

What do you expect them to do? Make it so good you watch it instead of cable, and stop watching commercials!?!

Is it the interface of a streaming service that makes people make that decision, or the available content for the price?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Both. I'm more than certain that the cartel has a vested interest in preventing any customer preference for the on demand system of television viewing.

Subscription and ad revenue is just too good to give up without a fight.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 21, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

less than three posted:

so this is not true it turns out. Seriously, watching DS9 on Canadian Netflix. They all are here. Including the Animated Series!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dallan Invictus posted:

Is it the interface of a streaming service that makes people make that decision, or the available content for the price?

I think it's both, but with an added layer of contempt against the Canadian Cartel due to their entirely deserved reputation.

Remember we're only a year since the days where Bell and Rogers were trying to kill Netflix (and each other) through purchasing exclusive showing rights to their own services.

quote:

BCE’s Bell Media launched CraveTV in December while Shomi, a joint venture of Rogers and Shaw, launched in November. The services both offer thousands of hours of television programming – along with movies in the case of Shomi – for a monthly fee. (BCE owns 15 per cent of The Globe and Mail.)

Like Netflix, CraveTV and Shomi have the exclusive Canadian rights to many of the past seasons of television shows on offer. However, unlike the U.S. streaming giant, the Canadian services both require subscriptions to other proprietary communications services such as television or Internet.

If you want to stream show A/B/C you can only do it on CraveTV! CraveTV only available if you're a subscriber of Bell TV.
If you want to stream show X/Y/Z you can only do it on Shomi! Shomi only available if you're a subscriber of Rogers/Shaw.

They tried to have their cake and eat it too, forcing anybody who wanted to stream their exclusive content to also pay for their TV services.

The CRTC eventually slapped them down a bit, so now they're ~forced~ to offer their subpar streaming services to everybody, but are still free to purchase exclusive rights for content.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

The really annoying thing is HBO online streaming being unavailable unless you pay the $20 or whatever on top of the regular cable.

It's such a pisser.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

Both. I'm more than certain that the cartel has a vested interest in preventing any customer preference for the on demand system of television viewing.

Subscription and ad revenue is just too good to give up without a fight.

A fight that they're (slowly) losing, which might be why they're acquiring content people want to watch for their own streaming services.

We may have to agree to disagree that "improving the UI" would win them more customers than "improving the content library" or "cutting the price", because neither of us have market research data at hand, but if Bell wanted Crave to stay terrible why bother with buying highly anticipated shows to put on it? Aside from pissing off nerds, which is fun but probably not worth millions of dollars.

Netflix has a great UI/UX but I struggle to think it would be a market leader if it hadn't had the content library it did from the beginning (see the people complaining now that it's lost some of that content to other services or broadcasters deciding to keep it for their own streaming services.) Content is king, etc.

less than three posted:

The CRTC eventually slapped them down a bit, so now they're ~forced~ to offer their subpar streaming services to everybody, but are still free to purchase exclusive rights for content.

I am keenly aware of the history of this situation (though I'm not sure how much more you think they should have been slapped down when it comes to SVOD specifically).

My point is simply: things like this Star Trek business are what "Bell should compete with Netflix instead of whining to the CRTC for special treatment" means. This is what was asked for. Crave and Shomi already cost less than Netflix now that Netflix has finally killed all our grandfather plans (though they have to collect HST and Netflix doesn't, which may alter the math a bit), which leaves content and UI as the bases of competition. Bell has more money than they do access to coding talent (particularly in comparison with Netflix) so it doesn't surprise me that they're going for content, even if that wasn't what everyone else competing in this space (Amazon, Hulu, other broadcasters) was already doing.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Don't mind me, I'm just being somewhat facetious about the UI thing. Also, The cartel is my Carthage, and I am the forums Cato.

If I were them (and as cynical as I am while typing this), I would totally want my customers thinking it's easier to just flick channels with a remote over and over again, and suffer through paid ads than ever enjoy a commercial free experience. If the shittiness of my service causes customers to associate it with all streaming services, that's fine. Anything to poison competition. There's money to be made.
Any Pavlovian trick Marketing can think of... :tinfoil:

Rogers delenda est

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 21, 2016

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

priznat posted:

The really annoying thing is HBO online streaming being unavailable unless you pay the $20 or whatever on top of the regular cable.

It's such a pisser.

It's not even the same as HBO Go is in the US. When you get it down there you have access to literally any HBO has created ever.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

EngineerJoe posted:

You can't, I've tried.

I've been fighting this battle for 3 years. It started out with an addressed admail every month, along with a regular unaddressed one. After a year, I told them to stop sending the addressed one. Which resulted in me getting 2 per month, because Rogers. This year I got annoyed with them again and have been complaining more and I'm now up to 4 letters per month.

Every time I complain, after they argue that they can't stop them because they aren't addressed...even though they are. So eventually they say ok, we will make sure they stop but it might take up to X number of days for it to happen. I'm sure you can guess at what happens after the deadline, every time for the past few months.

The last response from them was

Rogers posted:

The letters should finally stop coming.

I received this email today:

"Hi

Address seq: ######, ######

######, ###### have already been inserted in Apr 2016 so they can’t be added to the Cold Kill list. Meanwhile, I’ve added the two new address seq into the Cold Kill Addressed List.

Postal code: ### ### was added to the Cold Kill unaddressed list previously.

Please kindly advise the customer that it will take up to two months for it to take effect as marketing materials are already in transit.

Tommy C
Senior Campaign Analyst"

Thank you for your patience. ^oc"

So far, I've received 3 more adverts since that message. I have very little faith that they will actually stop them this time as well. It sucks because Canada Post can't do anything and I can't find anyone else to complain to about it. I supposedly stopped all the unaddressed adverts for my postal code, but I don't get those anyways so who knows if they were lying about that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

That's incredibly bad. I almost feel like you could take legal measures to get them to stop.