Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Unless something has changed, veterans are ten men only. Best to give them a ride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

PantsOptional posted:

Dipping my toes into the waters of a list in planning, please advise. Please keep in mind that this list, like the local 30k meta, almost entirely consists of stuff you can get from the Betrayal box set with some minor additions. There's not a lot of vehicles, for example, and I don't think there are any flyers, so a lot of what's going to be on the field are either footslogging marines or dudes in Rhinos at best.

Iron Warriors (Loyalist), 2000 pts
ROW: Pride of the Legion

HQ
Kyr Vhalen - 195 pts

Centurion (Siege Breaker) w/artificer armor, plasma pistol, power weapon - 135 pts

Troops
Veteran Tactical Squad - 20 men, Marksman, 2 heavy bolters w/suspensor webs & shrapnel bolts, vexilla, Sergeant w/artificer armor, power fist, Rhino - 270 pts

Veteran Tactical Squad - 20 men, Marksman, 2 heavy bolters w/suspensor webs & shrapnel bolts, vexilla, Sergeant w/artificer armor, power fist, Rhino - 270 pts

Elites
Tyrant Siege Terminators - 5 men, 5 chainfists - 320 pts

Contemptor Dreadnought w/multi-melta - 175 pts

Heavy Support
Iron Havocs - 5 men, 5 missile launchers - 210 pts

Medusa w/Phosphex shells - 155 pts

Try Golg, his kit is the same as the terminator character from the box set. He also won't give up a VP for dying be cause Kyr is a warsmith, gives HoW to the tyrants, and causes ~fear~

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

This unit will be like 800 points and I will be proud to run it. :911:

The best part about it will be balancing 45 pounds of resin land raider atop a flying base. It should do hammer of wrath attacks if it falls off and lands on things.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Hencoe posted:

Try Golg, his kit is the same as the terminator character from the box set. He also won't give up a VP for dying be cause Kyr is a warsmith, gives HoW to the tyrants, and causes ~fear~

I had been debating that for the exact same reasons, actually. The only real reason for taking Kyr Vhalen, aside from getting to bash together a bitchin' model for him, was Battle Logistician. If I run with a bunch of punchrobits in the future i might go with Vhalen but I think you're right, Golg is the right man for the moment.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

Dropping two thallax, giving the rest melta bombs and switching the castellax to power blades leaves me with 40 left over points.

Do you think the bio ammo is really worth it? At 10 points a pop, it feels pretty excessive for maybe one round of shooting.

Would love to get a triaros just because I love the models, but to carry the thallax I guess? Dropping a Vorax and 5 zombies and the pain train fits.

I'd rather you get the explorator, which is cheap, and shooty. But like you say, you don't have anything you really need to transport. The bio ammo certainly isn't always worth it, but if you have the points I find it makes the rotor cannons actually useful for dumping tons of saves on models. We house ruled them to be salvo 4/5 which certainly helps.

Your only real weakness is AT, abliet Scoria is going to wreck the poo poo out of anything he touches. Are there any admech units that give you re-rolls to reserves?

PantsOptional posted:

Dipping my toes into the waters of a list in planning, please advise. Please keep in mind that this list, like the local 30k meta, almost entirely consists of stuff you can get from the Betrayal box set with some minor additions. There's not a lot of vehicles, for example, and I don't think there are any flyers, so a lot of what's going to be on the field are either footslogging marines or dudes in Rhinos at best.

Iron Warriors (Loyalist), 2000 pts
ROW: Pride of the Legion

HQ
Kyr Vhalen - 195 pts

Centurion (Siege Breaker) w/artificer armor, plasma pistol, power weapon - 135 pts

Troops

Elites
Tyrant Siege Terminators - 5 men, 5 chainfists - 320 pts

Contemptor Dreadnought w/multi-melta - 175 pts

Heavy Support
Iron Havocs - 5 men, 5 missile launchers - 210 pts

Medusa w/Phosphex shells - 155 pts

If you're running Kyr, you really want to grab a fortification. Use Kyr to boost up the AV of their bunker or give your havocs a +1 to their cover saves. Ammo dumps also make them BS6 so it makes sense to take a whole 10 man shooting deathstar. The seige breaker isn't really worth taking as phosphex kinda sucks on medusas since you can't elect to fire a normal shell to crack open armour. You should consider diversifying your veteran squads too. Keep one as-is, give the other melta guns and +1 on the damage table (that makes you explode tanks on a 4+). For your third squad, give them x6 power weapons instead of those bolters and get them stuck into some combat.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

I'd rather you get the explorator, which is cheap, and shooty. But like you say, you don't have anything you really need to transport. The bio ammo certainly isn't always worth it, but if you have the points I find it makes the rotor cannons actually useful for dumping tons of saves on models. We house ruled them to be salvo 4/5 which certainly helps.

Your only real weakness is AT, abliet Scoria is going to wreck the poo poo out of anything he touches. Are there any admech units that give you re-rolls to reserves?

Oh the other pain train. That one is 245 points for the reserve re-roll :(
Teally hopoe that one gets it's profile reviewed once the model is out.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 18, 2016

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

If you're running Kyr, you really want to grab a fortification. Use Kyr to boost up the AV of their bunker or give your havocs a +1 to their cover saves. Ammo dumps also make them BS6 so it makes sense to take a whole 10 man shooting deathstar. The seige breaker isn't really worth taking as phosphex kinda sucks on medusas since you can't elect to fire a normal shell to crack open armour. You should consider diversifying your veteran squads too. Keep one as-is, give the other melta guns and +1 on the damage table (that makes you explode tanks on a 4+). For your third squad, give them x6 power weapons instead of those bolters and get them stuck into some combat.

gently caress, I somehow missed that it was an exchange of the shells on the Medusa. I'll have to rethink that, then.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

BULBASAUR posted:

Isn't it +1 to pen and not the result on the chart? So functionally S9 melta guns and S5 bolters

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

PantsOptional posted:

gently caress, I somehow missed that it was an exchange of the shells on the Medusa. I'll have to rethink that, then.

As Twisted mentioned earlier Vet squads are 5-10 men each.

Hencoe posted:

Isn't it +1 to pen and not the result on the chart? So functionally S9 melta guns and S5 bolters

Yeah, Machine Killers is +1 to armour penetration.

adamantium|wang fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 18, 2016

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

As Twisted mentioned earlier Vet squads are 5-10 men each.

Yeah, that was a typo, should be 10.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I talked my Mastodon-buying buddy into bringing the kit over for a video, in case anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYv15d9eFpg

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

PantsOptional posted:

We <<|H0u53 REl3D|>> siege breakers to elect to use phosphex shells, just like the admech reductors. It helps make the choice worthwhile. Otherwise you're almost always better off with regular shells. They got a nice buff with command tanks though. Ignore shaken results 50% of the time and tank hunting S10 ordinance is scary indeed.

Hencoe posted:

You're right :( I need my new book already. I'm not sure which would have been better. Extra chance to explode things or an extra strength on the dice.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

We <<|H0u53 REl3D|>> siege breakers to elect to use phosphex shells, just like the admech reductors. It helps make the choice worthwhile. Otherwise you're almost always better off with regular shells. They got a nice buff with command tanks though. Ignore shaken results 50% of the time and tank hunting S10 ordinance is scary indeed.

You're right :( I need my new book already. I'm not sure which would have been better. Extra chance to explode things or an extra strength on the dice.

Well now they can pen ceremite land raiders and the like, the bolters can kill rhinos, and you can drown contemptors in krak grenades

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I didn't think about grenades at all. With tank hunter that makes them pretty nasty with regular old grenades.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
We don't think the HS jetbikes will be getting a model, right? It'll just be the scimitar?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Nope, doubt it. Their wargear specifies it's a scimitar and at the open day it was said there's no additional jet bike models planned for now.

It's basically a way to make use of those superfluous weapon bits every jetbike comes with. Too bad they are so costly. 165 for 3 with melta, two more at 45 and everyone can swap to the same volkite culverins at 10 pts or plasma cannons for 15.

Plasma is awful on jetbikes, melta is better found elsewhere, and full volkite feels like overkill.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Didn't they FAQ quad heavy bolters to shoot 9 times? I remember they did something like that to them in an old FAQ. I'm seeing heavy 6 in one of the digital editions :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

Didn't they FAQ quad heavy bolters to shoot 9 times? I remember they did something like that to them in an old FAQ. I'm seeing heavy 6 in one of the digital editions :v:
No..?

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
You might be thinking of Age of Sigmar's amazing ballista or whatever :v:

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's shameful that something called a Quad Heavy Bolter doesn't shoot a multiple of 4 shots.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, at one time it was heavy 4, then they bumped it up to 6. I'm at the point that I am confusing all the different 30k editions I guess :(

Thanks to a good and friendly goon I have been able to dig through the latest rules without my book. Looks like combi weapons are 5 points across the board, including ye old rhinos. Hot dog. Havoc launcher remain 15 points because S5 AP5 small blasts are OP and as good as multi meltas apparently. They also forgot to give precision strikes from their own FAQ to legion champions. Classic FW editing.

For burning retros and DDPs, we jumped the gun. The way its written dreadnoughts can be targeted if they choose to deploy out of the pod. It actually encourages this, because it disallows dreadnoughts who left the pod from getting charged that turn. It's clever. Basically you have a choice- stay inside and get an extra 3 HP, but have all your attacks subject to shrouded, or deploy out of the pod towards your target loosing shrouded, but knowing you can't get charged that turn.

The changes to the Falchion are bad and make no sense. An extra 55 points for Shock Pulse is, something, I suppose. It also gains the feedback special rule, like the Cerberus nobody takes. Best part? D weapons don't roll for armour penetration, so the feedback rule is never triggered. Instead it just triggers me, forums poster BULBASAUR.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
I also don't get the falchion change, it's amazingly dumb. The drat thing is already random as gently caress in what it achieves, now it's more expensive.

And it's still loving BS3. +15 points for a space marine crew; it's a legion vehicle, who the gently caress else is piloting the thing??

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
Did they mess with the Legion Medusa squadron? Any buffs or nerfs?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Only changes I can see are it has cheaper HK missiles and extra armour and can get the whole range of pintle weapons like every other Legion vehicle.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

What are the best carry cases these days? Still generic GW and KR? (for UK)

My current force is going to be around 100 32mm base models and a handful of larger ones... The GW case is probably best due to flexibility but wanted to see if anyone knew any others

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Artillery squadrons can have a command tank, which lets you ignore shaken results on a 4+ and gives everybody in the unit tank hunter + monster hunter if you shoot at the same target within 20". It's a cool rule, but I wish they had made it a bit easier to trigger.

Pairs well with armoured breakthrough. Your artillery tanks become fast- drive them 12" closer and then pog your surprised opponents.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
That actually seems pretty decent if a little situational. Shame about the predator executioner price hike though, I love those things.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lord Twisted posted:

What are the best carry cases these days? Still generic GW and KR? (for UK)

My current force is going to be around 100 32mm base models and a handful of larger ones... The GW case is probably best due to flexibility but wanted to see if anyone knew any others
KR is definitely worth looking into. It's what I use for my 30k stuff though I may want to switch from 25mm foam to 32mm. I checked their site a week or two ago and it turns out they finally updated it. Holy poo poo is it way better than it used to be. The foam's always been great.

krursk posted:

Shame about the predator executioner price hike though, I love those things.
I'm pretty ok with that one. The boost puts them at the same price as a laser destroyer vindicator which seems more or less fair. Maybe 5-10 points too high, but at that point it's whatever. I still plan on grabbing a couple. I was already thinking I'd leave off the sponsons since nothing available really synergizes well with plasma blasts and the cost increase just cemented that.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Cheers. I found a kr case at dark sphere which fits 108 32mm infantry for £25, I'll grab that and then use bubble wrap +cardboard boxes for the demon prince, Bloodthirster + Spartan. 2500 pts, Neat and easy to transport in 4 boxes.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Depending on where you are Feldherr is another good one.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I've got two BaC box sets - 60 Marines, 10 Terminators, 2 Dreads. Is this a good start for 30K? What's a good resource regarding starting up a 30K army? Considering the poo poo is so expensive and time consuming to assemble and paint, I don't want to buy anything on a whim and find out it's worthless.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Do you have a legion that you like?
If not, do you have a color scheme that you like?
If not not, do you have a play style that you like?
If not not not, what are some units that you like?

This thread is fairly active and always a good place to ask questions. The first post has some details about the various legions and factions.
1d4chan's article is an ok summary of the various legion aspects.
Bolter & Chainsword is a giant space marine fanwank forum, so it's good for everything Heresy.
Heresy30k is like B&C if you toss out all of the non-Heresy stuff.
/HHG/ or Horus Heresy General on 4chan's /tg/ board is, huh, Special with a capital S. And yet somehow it's useful for some specific purposes, like getting painting feedback.

That sort of sums up the big communities around.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

1d4chan is very ok but is pretty outdated in some parts. The main reason I linked to it is because they had the rules summaries right there for easy reading. I guess I could've listed the special rules right in the OP since they're widely available but I didn't want to write that much.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Not having delved much into 30K, other than reading the fluff sections of the FW HH books, I haven't delved too much into the army lists. As for army, I'm thinking Imperial Fists, as they seem to be kind of an all-around type of force? I suppose I should decide on an army, then figure out where to go from there?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not having delved much into 30K, other than reading the fluff sections of the FW HH books, I haven't delved too much into the army lists. As for army, I'm thinking Imperial Fists, as they seem to be kind of an all-around type of force? I suppose I should decide on an army, then figure out where to go from there?

It seems redundant to say but just make sure it's a color you really like painting. I've painted over 40 Tactical Marines just to fill out my basic Troops slots, and man, if I didn't like painting Ultramarines that would have been a chore. If I was painting White Scars or Imperial Fists I'd start snorting resin dust.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm not too concerned about the yellow - I've got an airbrush for that. I've already got Epic and 40K Blood Angels, as well as Epic Orks, so I want to avoid red at all costs. The only other possible contender for me would be Death Guard, but I do have some 40K DG stuff, so I'll probably avoid them for 30K as well.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Imperial Fists are pretty cool. Do you like bolters? Because they're all about bolters. And heavy bolters. And regular terminators with sweet extra gear and deep striking. Also shields, but really it's the bolters.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Mango Polo posted:

Imperial Fists are pretty cool. Do you like bolters? Because they're all about bolters. And heavy bolters. And regular terminators with sweet extra gear and deep striking. Also shields, but really it's the bolters.

This guy knows whats up.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Boltception? Bolters firing smaller bolters is a-ok with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget, Imperial Fists also like challenges. :hist101: And forts.