Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Mortanis posted:

On that note, is there any advice to someone that's used to PC FPS games coming to this? I picked it up months ago and scrub'd my way to my first 40 on a Titan, but even months later now I'm still more or less at the bottom of any Crucible match. I've tried donking with the Look speed. Problem is I either wind up with a wonderful turning speed but then can't master fine tune controls for putting a reticle on people and jump all over in combat or it's way way too slow for moving around a map but much better at fine tuning and aiming at the one poor sob that walks directly into my line of fire.

Obviously I need to practice but I'm hoping I'm missing something that might make it a bit easier.

Set to 10 sensitivity and don't look back. Doesn't matter how well you do. In a month anything lower will feel too slow to be effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

Neo Helbeast posted:

Set to 10 sensitivity and don't look back. Doesn't matter how well you do. In a month anything lower will feel too slow to be effective.

Unironcally this

Destiny Pubstomper
Jul 7, 2016

by Shine
That and learn pvp movement basics.

Never come around a corner to engage at head height. Jump or slide.

Don't double peek snipers. If you miss, engage at a different angle.

Have an escape plan for every engagement in case you get shot and know how to peel off and when you can reengage. Ex: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/RIP%20ur%20KD%20Bro/video/19707525

So much of pvp is knowing when and why to engage and when and why to not. My thumbskill is probably pretty lovely relative to other good players but I've worked a lot on making sure I engage in a way that can compensate.

Destiny Pubstomper
Jul 7, 2016

by Shine
Don't set sensitivity to 10 unless you're a shotgun warrior. Most insane snipers I know use 3.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

MAYBE A DINGO ATE YOUR K/D

el B posted:

Wrong link

Thanks for that.

This is the right link for the Trials gameplay for those interested https://youtu.be/307g-TrHCmI

CheeseFactory fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jul 18, 2016

schmeo
Aug 31, 2015

I do things and make things

Destiny Pubstomper posted:

Don't set sensitivity to 10 unless you're a shotgun warrior. Most insane snipers I know use 3.

one of the best guys I play PvP with runs 1

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
2 mostly

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I set my sensitivity to 6 and I've been running snipers almost exclusively, and I've been doing just fine. I've had it at 6 for a long time though. But I will agree that turning it up in the first place made me better after I got used to it.

I do agree about engagement though. I've always had decent skill, but I've only been really careful about who I engage and when semi-recently. If I see more than one red wedge on my radar and I know I'm alone, if I kill someone and one of his buddies instantly pops out when I've got a half empty mag, if I so much as hear a super pop that I'm not already aware of, I'm high-tailing it the hell out of there. It's so much easier baiting the people that would've otherwise stomped you out into following you back into a hail of team-fire.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You'll run into issues if you try to play the patient game if you don't have a 6 man fireteam, especially in Clash. The randoms will invariably charge headlong into the fight and flip the spawns, meaning you're now by yourself and surrounded. So you get killed, spawn on the other side of the map, and discover your idiot teammates are already pushing back the way they came.

It can happen in control too, but not quite as often.

schmeo
Aug 31, 2015

I was talking about someone that has actually got an unbroken. :colbert:

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
Snipe on 10 you soft boners. Get hard!

Destiny Pubstomper
Jul 7, 2016

by Shine

el B posted:

Snipe on 10 you soft boners. Get hard!

You can do that if you want but honestly I don't think it would be very helpful for that way destiny sniping works. You're pretty much doing it wrong unless you're scoping in close to the dude's head and then making a fine adjustment.

If you could really do this well at 10 more power to you, but you've got rare thumbs my friend.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I'm working on the Touch of Malice quest, and the Undying Mind strike claims to be matchmaking, but it automatically puts me into the strike without even attempting to search for other players.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm working on the Touch of Malice quest, and the Undying Mind strike claims to be matchmaking, but it automatically puts me into the strike without even attempting to search for other players.

It's a specialized version of the strike and this late into the TTK release cycle this is hardly surprising. Grab some goons.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Maker Of Shoes posted:

It's a specialized version of the strike and this late into the TTK release cycle this is hardly surprising. Grab some goons.

Well it's surprising for me - this is the first time i'm doing this. Also, kind of hard to grab goons when there's only one person online and he seems to be AFK in the Scourge of Winter mission.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

If you could really do this well at 10 more power to you, but you've got rare thumbs my friend.

For sitting on

:blush:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Reddit person discovers that the exotic class items are reducing your xp per kill instead of increasing it because they're a sperg that keeps deleting and remaking hunters:

http://i.imgur.com/CSm11wJ.gifv

(watch the number at the end of the xp bar before and after equipping the cloak)

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

You'll run into issues if you try to play the patient game if you don't have a 6 man fireteam, especially in Clash. The randoms will invariably charge headlong into the fight and flip the spawns, meaning you're now by yourself and surrounded. So you get killed, spawn on the other side of the map, and discover your idiot teammates are already pushing back the way they came.

It can happen in control too, but not quite as often.

Yeah I find in clash I try to play a lot faster. In control its all about locking down areas so you more or less can usually keep the enemy coming from similar approaches if your team is good.

This allows you to do some hardscoping if you want to practice that bullshit.

In clash people seem to keep pushing. Into spawns so you get shot in the rear end.

Rift is by far my least played game mode. Mostly because its lame. I grabbed my brother to play some with me because hes pretty average at pvp and had only played 3 games. I also figured most pvp players would either be playing trials clash or control or the skirmish daily.

We got dumped into pretty terrible lobbies with really poo poo team mates. I dropped three games with more than 35 kills in a row. My worst kd in this was 2.8 because i started going for highlight no scopes etc

At one point I used 8 bullets from tlw and 3 punches to get three kills. I wasnt using cover just waded into the middle of three dudes and punched their faces off.

I also slammed the spark by picking it up, running straight into the enemy base without trying to use cover or return fire. I had bingo health and had people shooting at me.

It was still laggy but goddamn it was easy pickings. So find yourselves a guardian with like 3 games and play your least played game mode for easy matches I guess.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

TaurusOxford posted:

Well it's surprising for me - this is the first time i'm doing this. Also, kind of hard to grab goons when there's only one person online and he seems to be AFK in the Scourge of Winter mission.

Join them and help them finish. Then they'll help you out. :v:

schmeo
Aug 31, 2015

xzzy posted:

Reddit person discovers that the exotic class items are reducing your xp per kill instead of increasing it because they're a sperg that keeps deleting and remaking hunters:

http://i.imgur.com/CSm11wJ.gifv

(watch the number at the end of the xp bar before and after equipping the cloak)

Watched it a couple times to be sure. With cloak it added 2exp. Vandals are 6exp each. He's just bad at math.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

schmeo posted:

Watched it a couple times to be sure. With cloak it added 2exp. Vandals are 6exp each. He's just bad at math.

That's what I thought too, not gonna delete all my poo poo to verify it though.

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!
reddit is, as usual, real mad about this!!!!!!

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

xzzy posted:

:tvtropes:

I'm thinking it might be because of the light difference. He has 155 light with his lvl 20 set and then throws on a 335 class item? He's gonna be wrecking those scrub vandals.

Destiny Pubstomper
Jul 7, 2016

by Shine
Yes. XP is tied to the level of the enemy and your level. As usual reddit retards are not scientists and have no idea how to control variables before jumping to conclusions.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

TaurusOxford posted:

add angryavatar on psn, i'll help. that said, at this point you should be able to solo it if you have to. and you don't even have to finish it, you can gently caress off after you kill the guy you have to which is a minotaur that spawns on the right from where you come in

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

Yes. XP is tied to the level of the enemy and your level. As usual reddit retards are not scientists and have no idea how to control variables before jumping to conclusions.

Probably why I'm not on Reddit. Verifying controls suck balls.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

schmeo posted:

First vandal kill gives 12 exp, second one gives 8. Dregs are 6 exp.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

You can solo that version pretty easily. At the end, you need to kill a taken knight that'll spawn when the boss is about half dead. He'll spawn on the right as you face the boss. That's the actual mission. Just solo it. It's fun!

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Emron posted:

You can solo that version pretty easily. At the end, you need to kill a taken knight that'll spawn when the boss is about half dead. He'll spawn on the right as you face the boss. That's the actual mission. Just solo it. It's fun!

It's actually easier to solo than with three people. Unless they tweaked it, the ramp up per additional player is kind of insane.

schmeo
Aug 31, 2015

Neo Helbeast posted:

First vandal kill gives 12 exp, second one gives 8. Dregs are 6 exp.

You're bad at math too

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Anyone want to doe CoE with me?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

We are breaking those teams

Gets put against same team

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
2h10mins to run into my first UR NBP Defender titan and lose:

http://i.imgur.com/8w8t6qA.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/pRRIGTI.gifv

Mercying appears to fast track your ranking like pubstomper thought.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Here's my quick alt account test run in Control, done after not playing any PVP for quite a while:

Game 1 - 1.29 K/D and lost - I had to remember how to shot gun & hosed up a bunch + it was Thieves Den
Game 2 - 4.75 K/D and won
Game 3 - 2.33 K/D and won

Matched with lots of pretty bad 40ish players with much better gear. Definitely bottom of the barrel.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Last_Taste posted:

Fake Edit - PaulaDeensGunt may be my new favorite gamertag.

I lost the password for my favorite alt account. RIP Johnny Labia :qq:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Roman posted:

Here's my quick alt account test run in Control, done after not playing any PVP for quite a while:

Game 1 - 1.29 K/D and lost - I had to remember how to shot gun & hosed up a bunch + it was Thieves Den
Game 2 - 4.75 K/D and won
Game 3 - 2.33 K/D and won

Matched with lots of pretty bad 40ish players with much better gear. Definitely bottom of the barrel.

I love it when i hear the raid auto rifle and a hard light or something when i spawn in.

Then i realise theyre my team mates and im gonna have to pull a 30+ game to have a chance.

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

BlindSite posted:

I love it when i hear the raid auto rifle and a hard light or something when i spawn in.

Then i realise theyre my team mates and im gonna have to pull a 30+ game to have a chance.

Getting hit with hard light really fucks with my aim. I hate going against it.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I had the same experience with my new account, very easy to pull 6.0 games quite regularly at first. I kept getting matched with complete retards so my win % was still not too great, around 60, but my kds were looking consistently good. I have been playing more (on my bone which is not broken btw, just too close to the wall behind it apparently) and it's been getting progressively sweatier. Not elite by any means, but these definitely aren't the morons I was playing when I started. It just sucks, because now I'm in this middle ground where I'm probably roughly same skill level as my opponents but I'm severely lacking when it comes to gear.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I solo'd Crota!

Can't say I solo'd the whole raid, though. Some random pubbie whose friend request I accepted out of pity, with no mic and probably from a different country, kept dropping in, then leaving because he didn't have an item manager, coming back in just when I finally started to hope he'd given up.

Now to go back for glowhoo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseFactory
May 12, 2009

Monocled Falcon posted:

I solo'd Crota!

Can't say I solo'd the whole raid, though. Some random pubbie whose friend request I accepted out of pity, with no mic and probably from a different country, kept dropping in, then leaving because he didn't have an item manager, coming back in just when I finally started to hope he'd given up.

Now to go back for glowhoo!

Change your fireteam settings dude

• Locked thread