Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zat posted:

That's not guaranteed if it's a snug fit for the original.

Plus besides physical size there's the problem of old cases might be covering up the power button or cartridge slot on the new model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

jivjov posted:

Plus besides physical size there's the problem of old cases might be covering up the power button or cartridge slot on the new model.

That and also some of the geometry on the NN3DS is different. More rounded corners over pointed ones, smoothed edges, thicker and thinner top and bottom halves.

I'm just imagining a square peg into a round hole if you're trying to get these protective casings for an old 3DS to fit on the new ones.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Oh right, I was more thinking along the lines of carry cases and such. Obviously anything that's meant to physically click in place, e.g. protective casings, ergonomic grips etc. made for the original 3DS, won't fit regardless.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There are no words to express my hatred for the Tokay island in the Oracle of Ages.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I have Bravely Second and Fire Emblem waiting for me to play, but every time I pick up my 3ds I am compelled to only play horse cards

The curse will not be broken until I win the King's Gate

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I've been consumed by Picross now that I've tasted it for the first time

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Harlock posted:

I've been consumed by Picross now that I've tasted it for the first time

Me too. I'll got the Zelda one and after solving all the puzzles I'm now going through the Pokemon one plus downloaded picross on my phone. So addicting.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I've got about :tenbux: in eShop credit and a long plane ride in a few weeks. Is there anything I can grab that's worthwhile, or should I just pony up more cash for a first party game?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Horse Solitaire. The answer is always Horse Solitaire.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

sold

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Don't ignore my warning though, once you start playing horse cards, you won't be able to stop until you've won them all and have bred the ultimate horse.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

raditts posted:

Don't ignore my warning though, once you start playing horse cards, you won't be able to stop until you've won them all and have bred the ultimate horse.
I forgot all about Horse cards because they never gave me another Cat horse to progress Story mode.

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Croccers posted:

I forgot all about Horse cards because they never gave me another Cat horse to progress Story mode.

Breed a cat horse using downloaded horses ( via qr codes) and it will count for story progression. I had to do that too, catnip dasher just would not give me a second chance.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like horse solitaire a lot but I am poo poo at it. Or tremendously unlucky, I'm not sure. I also spend all the money on puzzle pieces.

It has a wonderful sense of humour, horse names especially. Just a shame there's no Hoof Hearted. And thinking about that, I know what I have to do.

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

I still haven't beaten the King's Gate horse solitaire race. I got burnt out on it because so few of my horses were even good enough to spend time on in Mature mode.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I should really get back to that. I was on the 2nd round of story mode horses and had finished all the cups. Then just burned out. I am guessing it is easy mode from that point on.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Man I was dreading putting on my screen protectors when they came due to experiences with them back when I had my ds.

Good lord do they make them easy now I can't believe they only charge 9 bucks.

Also I ended up buying alpha sapphire, x, fire emblem awakenings, and link to the past so far.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Beo posted:

Man I was dreading putting on my screen protectors when they came due to experiences with them back when I had my ds.

Also I ended up buying alpha sapphire, x, fire emblem awakenings, and link to the past so far.

You got some good gaming ahead friend

Spellman
May 31, 2011

well why not posted:

I've got about :tenbux: in eShop credit and a long plane ride in a few weeks. Is there anything I can grab that's worthwhile, or should I just pony up

Just pony up

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Get BOXBOY and BOXBOXBOY, they are really cute and good.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I thought Boxboy was kind of "whatever" but I also think it would be fine if nobody ever made another puzzle platformer ever again

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Beo posted:

Get Majora's Mask! And Monster Hunter if you don't want a life again.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

next on list is OOT (I have a 30% off coupon) and Monster Hunter Generations.

After that I will probably get a standard rpg like bravely default, but believe me majora's mask is on the list. I am starting to regret only getting a 32 gb micro sd haha.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zat posted:

Oh right, I was more thinking along the lines of carry cases and such. Obviously anything that's meant to physically click in place, e.g. protective casings, ergonomic grips etc. made for the original 3DS, won't fit regardless.

This was my line of thinking, more of a carrying case but it seems like everything on Amazon and in stores is made XL models.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Don't forget to buy Hyrule Warriors Legends, if you got a New 3DS.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Beo posted:

I feel like the Hori protector I put on my already-scratched screen makes my 3DS look better than it did when it was new.

(I'd scratched my screen in two places: the "rub" spot and the draw pile for horse solitaire)

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Someone take my credit card away from me I just bought OOT (it was 13.99!) and SMT:IV.(19.99!) I've also looked at monster hunter generations in the e-shop about 15 times today.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Beo posted:

Someone take my credit card away from me I just bought OOT (it was 13.99!) and SMT:IV.(19.99!) I've also looked at monster hunter generations in the e-shop about 15 times today.

Monster Hunter Gen is fuckin great so far but it's also a very long and deep game with a steep learning curve that demands some time commitment, and you have some killer games already. SMTIV is easily like 60+ hours of some of the best RPG gaming I have ever experienced. Pace yourself my friend (btw if any of the Etrian Odyssey games are also on sale you should pick those up too :twisted:)

Edit: seriously though don't panic to buy any Atlus games just because they're on sale. I'm not entirely sure this still holds true because I already own all the good ones and have stopped checking but a year or so ago they would have an eShop sale basically every month with deep deep discounts. If you don't pick up something now you can probably be assured it will be on sale again. If you see any of the EO games for like $15 or so though you won't regret grabbing them; they're really good and challenging 3DS exclusive dungeon crawlers. You can start with either EO4 or EO Untold 1 (a remake of the first game) they're both great and each have their own strong points

goferchan fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 19, 2016

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

goferchan posted:

Monster Hunter Gen is fuckin great so far but it's also a very long and deep game
but no g rank :argh:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Awesome! posted:

but no g rank :argh:

I've never made it that far anyway and from what I've read the endgame Deviant Monsters are equivalent to G-rank in everything but name. My 3DS tells me I sunk 80 hours into MH4U and I never quite wrapped up the last of the High Rank stuff so I'm pretty sure I'll get my money's worth out of this one too

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

guys I'm playing Paper Jam and it says to land both jump attacks to get an Excellent but when I land them both I only get a Great even though I can't see what I'm doing differently to the demo and it's giving me a mental illness. Am I doing something wrong

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

guys I'm playing Paper Jam and it says to land both jump attacks to get an Excellent but when I land them both I only get a Great even though I can't see what I'm doing differently to the demo and it's giving me a mental illness. Am I doing something wrong

You get excellent if you get the action command timing right for each of the jumps in the sequence. Just keep pressing the button each time he lands. Or make sure you're pressing the right buttons for the characters? I'm not sure what else to suggest beyond those.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

thexerox123 posted:

You get excellent if you get the action command timing right for each of the jumps in the sequence. Just keep pressing the button each time he lands. Or make sure you're pressing the right buttons for the characters? I'm not sure what else to suggest beyond those.
Maybe it expands or something, but I'm at the start and only get two jumps. If I land the first, I get Good, if I land the second as well, I get Great, then it ends anyway. If I don't time the second jump correctly I don't get Great, so I'm kind of stumped as to what else to do :shrug:

edit: it's working now. Weird. Oh well

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jul 19, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

It's a really precise button press. All I can say is try a different timing to see what works.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

goferchan posted:

Monster Hunter Gen is fuckin great so far but it's also a very long and deep game with a steep learning curve that demands some time commitment, and you have some killer games already. SMTIV is easily like 60+ hours of some of the best RPG gaming I have ever experienced. Pace yourself my friend (btw if any of the Etrian Odyssey games are also on sale you should pick those up too :twisted:)

Edit: seriously though don't panic to buy any Atlus games just because they're on sale. I'm not entirely sure this still holds true because I already own all the good ones and have stopped checking but a year or so ago they would have an eShop sale basically every month with deep deep discounts. If you don't pick up something now you can probably be assured it will be on sale again. If you see any of the EO games for like $15 or so though you won't regret grabbing them; they're really good and challenging 3DS exclusive dungeon crawlers. You can start with either EO4 or EO Untold 1 (a remake of the first game) they're both great and each have their own strong points

For some reason EOU2 is still like fifty loving dollars and like $35 on sale, I've been waiting for that one to get saled down a bit.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

s.i.r.e. posted:

This was my line of thinking, more of a carrying case but it seems like everything on Amazon and in stores is made XL models.

This is what I've been finding, too. I'd really like one that's n3DS standard-size specific, but they all seem to be made for the XL. I hate that most of the packaging for the XL cases then does the "you can also put your standard sized n3DS in here!" I mean, yeah, I *could,* but I'd like a nicer fit so my 3DS isn't rattling around in there...

I've started looking for old DS cases at used game shops. It's probably not the best solution, but it's cheap and produces more results than anything else I've tried.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Niemat posted:

This is what I've been finding, too. I'd really like one that's n3DS standard-size specific, but they all seem to be made for the XL. I hate that most of the packaging for the XL cases then does the "you can also put your standard sized n3DS in here!" I mean, yeah, I *could,* but I'd like a nicer fit so my 3DS isn't rattling around in there...

I've started looking for old DS cases at used game shops. It's probably not the best solution, but it's cheap and produces more results than anything else I've tried.

You might be better off exploring options on Play-Asia and other stores which sell non-US products, since the regular-sized n3DS was more common in European and Asian territories.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Waterfield has a case specifically sized for the n3DS:

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/nintendo-3ds-cases/products/nintendo-3ds-xl-cityslicker-case

Select "New 3DS" from the "Fit" menu on the right.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Weedle posted:

Waterfield has a case specifically sized for the n3DS:

https://www.sfbags.com/collections/nintendo-3ds-cases/products/nintendo-3ds-xl-cityslicker-case

Select "New 3DS" from the "Fit" menu on the right.

:eyepop: It's like the actually nice version of the cheap pleather case that I have. I like the look of "Grizzly" a lot, but I don't think I 59 dollars like it. Mostly it would just be living in a messenger bag, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

https://seafoamgaming.com/2016/07/18/interview-with-adam-rippon-of-muteki-crossbuy-dev-history-and-more/

This interview gives a pretty good reason why we don't see cross-buy games more often: according to this dev, the option is there, but the only way to do it is by giving people a separate download code for the Wii U/3DS version of a game when they buy one or the other. There's no infrastructure there to just add both versions of the game to someone's account. Unfortunately, the code thing just means that a lot of people just give away the code for the other platform to friends or resell it and the devs end up losing money.