Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Picard Day
Dec 18, 2004

This is a defensive mission and most likely the last one of the campaign so try avoiding certain deaths for the pilot, but victory is more important than anything. 'Mech replacement is still part of the contract and goons don't have to worry about pilots being taken captive (unless they lose).

This might not be a bad map to try and issue challenges and hope the Sea Fox warriors still have some clan arrogance. Use them early on to deny foxes one of their force multipliers and break Zell when you can take advantage of it.

That Naga pilot is probably desperate for some validation from enemies as prestigious as the Demon Hawks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Picard Day posted:

The Hunchies are going to be a lot more effective against the Star coming in from the left than anything else because they are heavily weighed towards Missile configs and both Hunchbacks have reactive armor (half damage from missiles that gets rounded down).

I would say Gooncompany would be better off engaging the left or south star and denying engagement to the assault star. The Sohei is the only jumper and the rest will take awhile to get into any kind of good position (especially with a well placed minefield). Take the fight where you can leverage numbers for quick kills and try to lure the Sohei in unsupported.

This is a good call!
You've got an Atlas's worth of armor when facing high explosive weapons, and the western star (And sorta the Naga to the south) is bristling with them. Best make that count, although of course using hills to deny LoS until the enemy is in shorter range of your boomsticks is also pretty necessary here.

Ploughing things loaded with ammo also might get you really lucky with crits, compared to shooting laserboats loaded with nothing but heat sinks to soak up crits for days.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
Now that the enemy actually has some dedicated long range weaponry, the true test for the new Atlas has come.

So...enemies coming from every direction, and the smallest enemy mech is 40 tons with a tag. And they have a big range advantage on a map where we can't reach them. Does the dark shade mean the enemy can't see the mechs underwater? Because hiding sounds really attractive right now.

Edit: The enemy drat well know we're going to try and trick them; Zell isn't going to do poo poo. In fact, it would be scarier if they accepted, because they would almost certainly stab US in the back first.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 18, 2016

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Terenblade has passed, Neopie is up in the Grasshopper (unless they pass too)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PoptartsNinja posted:

Terenblade has passed, Neopie is up in the Grasshopper (unless they pass too)

Go well you big jumpy bug. :dukedog:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

thetruegentleman posted:

Now that the enemy actually has some dedicated long range weaponry, the true test for the new Atlas has come.

So...enemies coming from every direction, and the smallest enemy mech is 40 tons with a tag. And they have a big range advantage on a map where we can't reach them. Does the dark shade mean the enemy can't see the mechs underwater? Because hiding sounds really attractive right now.

Edit: The enemy drat well know we're going to try and trick them; Zell isn't going to do poo poo. In fact, it would be scarier if they accepted, because they would almost certainly stab US in the back first.

Dark blue hexes /-2 depth water completely covers a 'Mech, but anything with a probe will be able to tell it's there.

The ranges are probably going to end up being really close, given how many trees and hills there are to break LoS with, so Goons should be able to relatively effectively collapse on/mob one of the stars to the south or west while the Assault group slowly closes in.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Zaodai posted:

I have no tactical advice for Goonlance, but some friendly advice as a spectator:

Last mission was not a standard result. You are almost certainly going to lose some machines, and last mission is the first time I can really recall the dice consistently working in the players favor. It looks like the Clans have steeped their game way, WAY up to account for Dice God, and you're probably going to get mauled even in a victory scenario.

Do not let that discourage you. We, the thread spectators, are not judging you against past players or missions. We enjoy a good show, and we're (mostly) cheering for you, but we do not expect a clean sweep. Friendly mechs going down does not inherently mean you're doing a "worse" job.

Now go kick those Clan bastards in the teeth. :argh:

I just now get my Mechwarrior license and I am greeted with this grim assessment.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Other good stuff, like spots for mines: Places like hex 1711, or 1708 to help bottle up the Dire Wolf and Ragnarok on their little island, or 1835 in the south.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cathode Raymond posted:

I just now get my Mechwarrior license and I am greeted with this grim assessment.

If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled! For you are in Elysium, and you are already dead.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Zaodai posted:

If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled! For you are in Elysium, and you are already dead.

Isnt Elysium an actual planet in Battletech?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Saint Celestine posted:

It wouldn't surprise me.

At least they aren't sending you to Butte Hold.

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
Depending on enemy movement next turn, I might take the awesome into the drink to move to the small island to the N of the reactor. The small island to the right of the reactor also looks like a spot to back up into when I want to stay back and long range things. How bad would it be to walk from land into a -2 water square if needed? Extra penalties if I try that stunt walking in reverse?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
This looks pretty brutal, but two things: those land mines could do some work, and we don't know what will happen when whatever Amaris has planned with the reactor actually goes down

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Saint Celestine posted:

Actually, no, not as near as I can tell. There's a location or two named it (it's mentioned in MW4), but no worlds.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

thiswayliesmadness posted:

Depending on enemy movement next turn, I might take the awesome into the drink to move to the small island to the N of the reactor. The small island to the right of the reactor also looks like a spot to back up into when I want to stay back and long range things. How bad would it be to walk from land into a -2 water square if needed? Extra penalties if I try that stunt walking in reverse?

The Awesome doesn't have enough MP to enter a depth 2 water hex directly, I think. You cannot run in to water hexes, so you only have 3 MP available if you enter anything with water- And entering even depth 1 water is going to take 3 MP. Water sucks up a looooot of MP. It's +1 per depth 1 water hex, or +3 for depth 2 hexes.

Taking the Awesome in to water means you're going to be stuck there for a long time, since it's already so slow.

e: So to move along the floor in the depth 2 water, it takes *4* MP for each hex you enter. And you have to make a PSR. (On the upside, if you fail the PSR, then you only take half falling damage :v: )

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Gwaihir posted:

The Awesome doesn't have enough MP to enter a depth 2 water hex directly, I think. You cannot run in to water hexes, so you only have 3 MP available if you enter anything with water- And entering even depth 1 water is going to take 3 MP. Water sucks up a looooot of MP. It's +1 per depth 1 water hex, or +3 for depth 2 hexes.

Taking the Awesome in to water means you're going to be stuck there for a long time, since it's already so slow.

e: So to move along the floor in the depth 2 water, it takes *4* MP for each hex you enter. And you have to make a PSR. (On the upside, if you fail the PSR, then you only take half falling damage :v: )
If the Awesome wants to go to the island at 3418, that's possible though, since its only depth 1 water - it'll take a few turns to get there though.

Edit: Since this may come up - you can always use your entire movement to enter to the hex directly in front of you, regardless of the MP cost.

Ardlen fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 19, 2016

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
If I remember my rulings correctly, you can enter any hex that costs more than your MP if it is literally the only hex you enter that turn, to prevent situations where you have, say, a broken hip that reduces you to 1 MP, and all the hexes around you are light woods.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Rorahusky posted:

If I remember my rulings correctly, you can enter any hex that costs more than your MP if it is literally the only hex you enter that turn, to prevent situations where you have, say, a broken hip that reduces you to 1 MP, and all the hexes around you are light woods.

Not quite, it still has to be a move into legal terrain--which for BattleMechs means it has to be a game-legal elevation change (so you can't suddenly go from level 0 to the roof of a height 30 building by opting to only move 1 hex), and that poor hovercraft that got airlifted into a clearing in the forest is still hosed.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Tempest_56 posted:

Actually, no, not as near as I can tell. There's a location or two named it (it's mentioned in MW4), but no worlds.

There are, however, the Elysian Fields, which were one of the first sets of worlds taken by the Clans in the Periphery.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Still, if the Awesome is in depth two water, it's only going to be moving 1 hex per turn. It's no bueno.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

We should send Dadlas into the water purely for the psychological advantage of it wading out of the river blaring the Godzilla theme from its external speakers.

I'd love to see the Clans morale shatter like X-COM rookies upon seeing it. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

berryjon posted:

There are, however, the Elysian Fields, which were one of the first sets of worlds taken by the Clans in the Periphery.

Unlike most periphery planets with attractive names, the Elysian Fields are actually a pretty nice place to live assuming you're a neo-Primitive luddite.

The worlds you really need to watch out for are the ones where even the first settlers couldn't think of anything nice to say about them. Like Crotch.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Unlike most periphery planets with attractive names, the Elysian Fields are actually a pretty nice place to live assuming you're a neo-Primitive luddite.

The worlds you really need to watch out for are the ones where even the first settlers couldn't think of anything nice to say about them. Like Crotch.

Crotch is invariably remembered for it's infestation of giant bugs and the tendency for periodic fires.

It did lead to the memorable "Crotch: It's a burning sensation!" tourism campaign though.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Wild Weasel here: Predeployed 10 remote sensors across the map in forest hexes that hopefully won't get them all targeted and killed early on. Moving into 2616 and firing smoke LRMs to help block the assault star's LOS for a few turns. Will probably spend my first handful of turns deploying nothing but smoke and thunder. Also I am switching my ECM to Ghost Targets for the early part of the game, but will hopefully remember to switch back to ECM once the LRM boats start moving into range.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Oh, poo poo. Knox, you're back in the lineup? It's been awhile.

Good thing we didn't pick the city after all. Wouldn't want you falling off any more buildings!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

KnoxZone posted:

Also I am switching my ECM to Ghost Targets for the early part of the game.

If their line of fire passes through your ECM bubble anywhere they lose the Artemis benefit. Using standard ECM to cancel that's probably more useful than maybe forcing the Clanners to make 5+ piloting tests to shoot at you.

Ghost Targets is an incredibly bad optional rule.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

PoptartsNinja posted:

If their line of fire passes through your ECM bubble anywhere they lose the Artemis benefit. Using standard ECM to cancel that's probably more useful than maybe forcing the Clanners to make 5+ piloting tests to shoot at you.

Ghost Targets is an incredibly bad optional rule.

Yeah, I plan on switching back as soon the enemy missile mechs get into position where they have a reasonable chance to hit, which won't be long, but for now I am more concerned with one of those 2 gunnery assault mechs getting a relatively clear line on someone.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
PTN, just houserule that Ghost Targts doesn't exist since you hate the bookkeeping and like 90% of the time it just makes you roll a bunch of dice to determine that nothing happens.

E: Thinking back, 90% may be understating it. I think I remember it working maybe once ever?

I guess if you feel bad taking options away from the players you could also just make a houseruled version that is less tedious to use and also maybe does something sometimes.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Voyager I posted:

PTN, just houserule that Ghost Targts doesn't exist since you hate the bookkeeping and like 90% of the time it just makes you roll a bunch of dice to determine that nothing happens.

E: Thinking back, 90% may be understating it. I think I remember it working maybe once ever?

I guess if you feel bad taking options away from the players you could also just make a houseruled version that is less tedious to use and also maybe does something sometimes.

It saved maybe like two hits in my mission :v:

But yes without huge skill disparity it's just a really low chance of going anything.

And if you're a P1 character going up against p5s or whatever, then you probably don't need ghost targets to give you the edge anyhow.

(Unless that's G7/ P0...)

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

KnoxZone posted:

Yeah, I plan on switching back as soon the enemy missile mechs get into position where they have a reasonable chance to hit, which won't be long, but for now I am more concerned with one of those 2 gunnery assault mechs getting a relatively clear line on someone.

Your ECM is also important to prevent Clanners with active probe equivalents from noticing the ambushing Mechs early. Actually, your FASCAM ammo will also give you some ability to dissuade those mechs from taking inconvenient paths.

In general, the assault star is long ranged but direct fire and slow. The western group has lots of missiles and medium mobility, and the south group is fast, jumpy, and has TAG for the Naga.

You want to force the enemy to engage you divided. The assault star is the least able to control the speed and place of engagement because of their lack of mobility. There's also a conveniently placed tall heavy building that lets your slow heavy hitters deny the assaults engagement.

It seems to me the initial questions to figure out are where and when you want to meet each part of the enemy force. So, consider

1. Where to meet the enemy force

2. How long you have before additional enemy formations join

3. With what forces to meet the enemy

The answer to 1 gives you a basic timeline based on the movement profiles of the enemy. It also gives you an idea of what they could do to disrupt your plan. That, in turn, suggests what to do with minefields and jumpy rear end in a top hat mechs to discourage unruly behavior.

The answer to 2 tells you how many guns you should commit to the fight. Coupled with the where, it tells you when to spring an ambush and when you can't afford to keep units hidden.

I think the interesting ambush is to spring the hunchbacks and bobcat when the assaults are past them onto the reactor island, but I'm not sure that's realistically achievable given time constraints.

Finally, just as a general note because it's not obvious, entering depth 2 water breaks los to any units not in the water. Could be useful.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Word of warning: I'm fat and slow and despite not yet having lost an arm this round completely clueless about where to go.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Voyager I posted:

Pretty sure it worked that one time and then everyone that followed with an ECM mech has tried to make it work again. Every time PTN says it's annoying and mostly useless... then someone does it again anyway. I'm just waiting on the mission where he houserules something in that makes missed missiles retarget the ECM mech or something to get back at the players.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Plek posted:

Pretty sure it worked that one time and then everyone that followed with an ECM mech has tried to make it work again. Every time PTN says it's annoying and mostly useless... then someone does it again anyway. I'm just waiting on the mission where he houserules something in that makes missed missiles retarget the ECM mech or something to get back at the players.

PTN has said how he'd fix ECM already, because it's mostly just broken, so if anything he'd probably just switch to the houserules that he posted earlier in the thread.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I like to pretend he is actually a vindictive GM and the thread is just constantly thwarting his plans.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Plek posted:

I like to pretend he is actually a vindictive GM and the thread is just constantly thwarting his plans.

It does make for a more interesting read
And you can really understand some of the posters.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
I am pretty excited for the sneaky emerging out of the water HAG shots!

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Carry the baton for Noretti RA Rx!

Given that you're underwater right now (oh the joy of PSRs!) I think you might be able to reach 3412 and still have some cover from incoming fire - most everything else is ruled out by being unable to run in water I think?
You'll still get +1 TMM for moving 3 hexes, and another +1 for the woods, plus leg cover, which could be worse. Then next turn you can start jumping like mad to keep a high TMM while firing the cLPL non-stop.

I don't know if we're allowed to set fires and start smoke - that was disallowed a while back I think? Or has it been reinstated as a tactic for gooncompany?

fakeedit - is there a googledoc for this group of goonmercs?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Thanks!

I can't move above walk speed through water so I just went to 3143. The hill should block fire from the pulsetar Warhawk.

Nothing for Norreti to shoot at yet so we'll see if starting fires is disallowed. I thought it was just rolling for fires to spread. You might have paid better attention than me on this though.
But yeah, some delicious double light woods sniper nests there, almost perfect with smoke on the position for total cover vs +1 (and you can stand perfectly still if the enemy stays in your LoS). Pity there aren't any heavy woods on map.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 19, 2016

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

PoptartsNinja posted:

Would also be a good name for a ex-gladiator club on Solaris. Elysium, not Crotch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Neopie has passed. Pattonesque is up in the Grasshopper.

• Locked thread