Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Alan Moore is a lovely man.

I wanna nestle up in that beard like a baby bird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Skwirl posted:

Even though I doubt I'll ever read it, I love that he married the woman who drew that.

Edit: And apparently had a child who now plays Pokemon Go.

It's mostly boring. I kept thinking "who cares" when I read it, which is not usually what I think when reading Moore.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

I know it's an edit, I wasn't questioning that. Just annoyed people keep getting fooled and making a big deal out of it when it's so obvious.

Have you met the internet?

Thomas Jefferson posted:

Happiness is a warm gun

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Just looking at how the letters fit inside the word bubbles I'm pretty sure it's fake, also the writing is loving absurd, even for a comic book.

I've been on Tumblr long enough to know that people there will believe anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's a person who's entire gimmick is posting long, philosophical sounding life affirmations on top of keanu reeves images to facebook and passing them off as real things he said. I don't think they're doing it as a joke, either.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Ghostlight posted:

Thank you for your informative post about how comics aren't as interesting as the most asinine of animes.

Uh the post was bad but don't be dissing YYH and DBZ.

Also super owns.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, pretty much.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Roth posted:

I've been on Tumblr long enough to know that people there will believe anything.

It's pretty great. Dril is a Nazi. Nick Spencer is also a Nazi. A whole lotta people are Nazis, per Tumblr.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

A Tin Of Beans posted:

It's pretty great. Dril is a Nazi. Nick Spencer is also a Nazi. A whole lotta people are Nazis, per Tumblr.

It's funny, because there's a lotta actual, irl Neo-Nazis and the like on Tumblr(hello fuckyeanationalistgirls), but people riot over the most inane poo poo.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Skwirl posted:

Just looking at how the letters fit inside the word bubbles I'm pretty sure it's fake, also the writing is loving absurd, even for a comic book.

The assertion that half of all Amazons are trans women is also absurd, since babies born with penises are not obviously cis or trans at time of birth and a big deal was made about Diana's maybe-brother being born male.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Your fave is a nazi sounds like something that exists on Tumblr.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

JoshTheStampede posted:

The assertion that half of all Amazons are trans women is also absurd, since babies born with penises are not obviously cis or trans at time of birth and a big deal was made about Diana's maybe-brother being born male.

It'd also defeat the whole purpose of the trans rights movement if they just indoctrinated everyone into being whatever their idea of a girl is. The whole point is that gender assignment at birth is bullshit, "everyone is a girl regardless of genitals!" is missin the point hard. Once contact with other civilizations started, you'd end up with trans men who were born with dicks.

Huh, I kind of want to write a speculative fiction story like that now.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I guess this is the only way you can get a solo book published for an LGBT Marvel character: bring it to Image instead.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/image-comics-plans-new-all-911716

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Barry Convex posted:

I guess this is the only way you can get a solo book published for an LGBT Marvel character: bring it to Image instead.

Wait, uh, what? How is this happenin?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Marvel character is America Chavez. They're banking on Marvel not caring enough I guess.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Aphrodite posted:

The Marvel character is America Chavez. They're banking on Marvel not caring enough I guess.

They're also banking on their interpretation/creation of the character being what people love, rather than later writers and artists work on that character. If you asked a bunch of people who created America Chavez I bet a lot of them would say Gillen/McKelvie.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Barry Convex posted:

What was Angela then?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm mostly concerned about the future of East of West. (Though I will also check this out.)

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

bobkatt013 posted:

What was Angela then?

Editorial refused to even talk about her being bi/lesbian.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

They're also banking on their interpretation/creation of the character being what people love, rather than later writers and artists work on that character. If you asked a bunch of people who created America Chavez I bet a lot of them would say Gillen/McKelvie.

Including her being gay, I think?

So don't expect that in the Image book, Barry.

(Well, and as much as someone who comes from a universe with only women can really be gay.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Barry Convex posted:

They're waving a red flag right in Disney's face and are gonna get loving sued.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd love for Image to do a whole line letting creators do their thinly veiled rejected big-two pitches.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'd love for Image to do a whole line letting creators do their thinly veiled rejected big-two pitches.

They did that in the 90s. They called the line Image.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

They did that in the 90s. They called the line Image.

We need a Rob for our times.

It would be amazing if after the Rebirth rumors, Hickman put out an Image comic about cosmic superpowered teenagers in the far future.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 18, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah, Gillen is the one that defined Miss America for Marvel. This seems like they're just wanting to get sued.

I do hope maybe now that Gillen is finishing Darth Vader that he and Rocafort do a Miss America solo series.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, Gillen is the one that defined Miss America for Marvel. This seems like they're just wanting to get sued.

I do hope maybe now that Gillen is finishing Darth Vader that he and Rocafort do a Miss America solo series.

That won't happen if only because it would be my dream book.

But yeah, if Casey and Dragotta DID pitch an America Chavez book to Marvel, I bet they turned it down because they wanted someone else on it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Codependent Poster posted:

Gillen's made it fairly clear he's done with work-for-hire for awhile.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Does Marvel give residuals to creators when their characters are used?

e: and moreso when they're in a solo?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Teenage Fansub posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Does Marvel give residuals to creators when their characters are used?

e: and moreso when they're in a solo?

I don't think so, no.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You could at least post the Simon/Kirby Fighting American that was created as a direct reaction to Atlas's relaunch of Captain America in the 50s.

EDIT: (Sorry for the double post.)

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

You could at least post the Simon/Kirby Fighting American that was created as a direct reaction to Atlas's relaunch of Captain America in the 50s.

EDIT: (Sorry for the double post.)

"Speedboy the wonder kid"

Also wasn't Liefeld's Fighting American done on rejected Captain America scripts from Heroes Reborn?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Mr Hootington posted:

Alan Moore has written a ton of amazing comic books and has been hosed over by DC (was he ever Marvel?)

Marvel hosed him on Captain Britain reprints and (sorta) Miracleman.

Also I am glad you got probated.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I've been reading a lot of Brubaker and Darwyn Cooke stuff lately and along with this talk of Moore's work, it got me thinking.

I've enjoyed literally everything I've read by both Brubaker and Cooke, and I can't think of any other writers for whom that holds true. My other favorites, like Lemire or BKV, either have particularly crappy books or else have a noticable hole in their game (BKV's inability to finish books without going off the rails).

So... Who are the creators who can do no wrong by you?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I suppose Grant Morrison comes the closest to me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Greg land and Rob liefeld

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

JM Dematteis probably.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Don Rosa, as far as I can recollect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I haven't read any bad Rucka or Tom King or Al Ewing but their portfolios aren't quite as large as BKV or people like that so maybe I just haven't read their bad stuff?

• Locked thread