Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Anyone who tells you comics sucked in the 90s is full of poo poo*. I loving loved Milestone Comics and nothing sums that line up better than the first linewide crossover they did, Long Hot Summer.

The villain wasn't some huge godmoding rear end in a top hat, or a space alien landing to unite everyone, or whatever the hell. It was gentrification, racial tension, and a lot of powerless people. Someone greenlit, wrote, drew, inked, and published what was basically Do The Right Thing with superheroes in the middle of 1995.

The city of Dakota had a hosed up road to get there. When you take all the gangbangers in the city, hit 'em all with mutagen, and the survivors come out superpowered, turf wars escalate to some new heights. So when a corporation came in and decided to pitch to the city that some of those wrecked lots and empty space were gonna be a theme park, and "restore" the area around it, the results were mixed. You get new characters, old cast, and the stories of a lot of the businesses and places that were just background in other books.

And it wasn't just black and white. Sure, some small businesses and local color was gonna eat it, but running a whole theme park meant jobs. It meant construction work. It meant security, which actually allowed some villains and more colorful characters to collect a check for the first time, because why the hell would you not hire someone who can handle a metahuman threat in the town that birthed them? And above all, the story was never going "YEP THIS IS WRONG". There was nuance. There was hope. There was hurt.

And then there was a motherfucking riot when the people who lived there, worked there, built and demolished the place realized not everyone got in.

I love Long Hot Summer, because as I grew up, I was a huge Milestone fan. I loved Static, but this was a story about his world, his people, his folks, and all these other characters that I realized I could be looking at too. This is where I started trying the other books, and eventually went back to collect some back issues.

And the best thing is, it was three issues, some fallout in the other books... and that was it. It was an organic event that didn't derail books forever, or delay beyond its welcome, or anything. To me, this is one of those Perfect Crossovers: you use a set of characters in a story and when it's done, it still happened, but it didn't try to REDEFINE EVERYTHING, or CREATE AN ALL NEW STATUS QUO or whatever the gently caress. Some things changed, but life went on. Dakota was still there, even if Paris Island was just a new kind of trashed at the end.

I grew up in Southern California. When I was a kid, the LA riots happened. So to see a story that went "Yeah, poo poo's still tense" as I could drive for a little and see the scars, maybe if we took a trip to Disneyland? Realest drat thing I ever saw in comics. 2016 is hosed up, but drat it doesn't feel quite so hot anymore**.

* Or a huge racist. I knew one dude who only referred to Milestone as "the dudes with [racial slur] Spidey"
** Metaphorically, before someone brings up global warming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

:eyepop: That is a god drat good OP.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Where is the new thread? Who is doing it?

Edit: good op

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jul 1, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's actually pretty cold for July up here due to climate change. I saw that Al Gore movie and when poo poo finally goes wrong, I'm gonna be one of the first to freeze to death.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I have made a terrible mistake tonight lol

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The hell'd you do? I'm trying to decide if I want to impulse buy some poo poo on Steam before sale's over.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lol if you think the 90s is anything but the decade between the 80s and the 00s.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Was Milestone's stuff collected in trades? I'm assuming if so they're out of print.

The OP post has me sold and wanting to check out their stuff now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Lol if you think the 90s is anything but the decade between the 80s and the 00s.

The 90s is better than the 80s and I can prove it.

Fact 1: It's not the 80s.

Theory proven.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
If it were somehow possible, I would live in the 90s forever.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

the 80s and the 90s both ruled, though.

WickedHate posted:

If it were somehow possible, I would live in the 90s forever.

Dan DiDio has some pamphlets for you.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

90s Sega advertising is my aesthetic

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

the 80s and the 90s both ruled, though.

No. Some pop culture in the 80s was great, but living through them was awful.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

No. Some pop culture in the 80s was great, but living through them was awful.

I was seven years old at the end of the decade so as far as I was concerned everything ruled.

Good thing I've grown up enough to realize how severely the opposite of that is true for every decade of human existence :smith:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My problem with the 80s is that people who grew up during that time are middle aged now so media is geared toward them, as though "being a kid" is synonymous with that decade.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The 80s was a really weak decade for movies outside of action blockbusters. There are still a bunch of classics, but it compares poorly to the 70s or 90s.

Also the idea of a warm July is weird.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Good OP, OP.

I've never read a Milestone comic, and honestly, I probably never will, but that was a quality write-up.

I grew up in the 80s (born in Oh-79) but the 90s is where all the best pop cultures come from, in all forms.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 1, 2016

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I was born in '91. I cannot remember anything specific about the 90s other than they were pretty good.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DrProsek posted:

I was born in '91. I cannot remember anything specific about the 90s other than they were pretty good.

Rap music and creative soft drinks were involved.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The late 80s and early 90s had some pretty culturally significant hip hop. Of course the type of people who idolize the 80s probably consider that a bad thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Hip hop only got good in the 90s. There are a few exceptions but most rap before that decade is pretty terrible.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

WickedHate posted:

Hip hop only got good in the 90s. There are a few exceptions but most rap before that decade is pretty terrible.

Grandmaster Flash exists, you terrible infant.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I didn't say rappers back then weren't influential or essential to the development of the art form, but as anything other foundation, to listen to in this day and age, it's just kind of silly.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OP's OP reminds me that the bulk of the original Static series was never collected in trade and some of those final issues sell for $25+ each due to the low print run.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

redbackground posted:

I grew up in the 80s (born in Oh-79) but the 90s is where all the best pop cultures come from, in all forms.

You were born in 1079?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wildstorm was pretty neat, but the 90s outside of the best rap there ever was until the mid-late 2000s when KanYe/etc hit the scene and made people stop the faux gangsta rap bullshit that poisoned the early 2000s were pretty much a cultural wasteland. Television, video games, comics, music outside of rap, all just...a deep, deep embarrassment.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

You were born in 1079?
I don't want to say that the murder of Stanislaus of Szczepanów, Bishop of Kraków, exactly a month before was a bad omen, but it didn't help.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

WickedHate posted:

I didn't say rappers back then weren't influential or essential to the development of the art form, but as anything other foundation, to listen to in this day and age, it's just kind of silly.

The is ridiculous to say. It holds up on its own, and it is still amazing to listen to. That is like saying that old comics/movies are not good as they are only the foundation.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

bobkatt013 posted:

The is ridiculous to say. It holds up on its own, and it is still amazing to listen to. That is like saying that old comics/movies are not good as they are only the foundation.

I wouldn't go so far as to say they aren't good but this is basically true for me. I respect what teh Silver Age did for the medium and we wouldn't be here without it but I can't stand to read that stuff now. Anything before like the mid-80s is pulling teeth for me. Same with listening to Rapper's Delight as anything but a joke.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

JoshTheStampede posted:

with listening to Rapper's Delight as anything but a joke.

gently caress you say?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I hate young people.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Why the gently caress are my tax dollars funding public schools if every kid is still not learning a loving thing

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Flava Flav was wrong, it's you drat kids that are a joke.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

WickedHate posted:

have you ever like, actually listened to any of it you loving drooling lobotomy patient

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Your favorite band is Hollywood Undead.

Edit: 80's thrash and death metal was the poo poo.

Lencho fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 1, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lencho posted:

Your favorite band is Hollywood Undead.

That sounds like some monster high tie in band

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Also it's Canada Day, so let us take some time to think about my beloved squad of incompetents, Alpha Flight.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
End Me Scoob, your username/avatar/text combo has been haunting me. It is genuinely disturbing and I think now is finally the time to ask: Where is all that from, why is Velma desperately begging for death from Scooby Doo?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Know what is cool? 70s rap.
Wanna know what else is cool? 80s rap.
Another thing that is cool? 90s rap.
Yet another thing? 00s rap.
And finally? 10s rap.

What I'm saying is that rap is good and cool and like most forms of music changes and shifts with the times and that's a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not like I'm poo poo-talking Lupe Fiasco over here.

• Locked thread