Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

my $45 vanishing point just showed up, pleasantly surprised to see that it came with an 18k nib. Figured it was going to have one of the steel nibs at this price.

No converter though, just came with an 1 full ink cartridge and one empty ink cartridge. Wonder if my con-50 will fit in here.

e. god drat this thing writes nice.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jul 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JNCO BILOBA
Nov 22, 2005

My Lamy CP1 medium just came in. Very minimalist and sleek. Thin almost like a pencil, which on paper I didn't if I would like, but in hand this thing is amazing. Very underrated pen.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
anyone have a kaweco al-sport? my normal kaweco sport has been in constant use for a few years, but I'd really like a heavier pen (it's kinda funny cause the thing is so cheap, and yet it gets more use than my namiki falco, sailor pro gear, and visconti HS)

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Mr. Despair posted:

my $45 vanishing point just showed up, pleasantly surprised to see that it came with an 18k nib. Figured it was going to have one of the steel nibs at this price.

No converter though, just came with an 1 full ink cartridge and one empty ink cartridge. Wonder if my con-50 will fit in here.

sooooo jealous.

If you have separate ink you prefer, you can drain and refill the cartridge with an ink you prefer and recap it with a chopstick.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mr. Despair posted:

CON-20, CON-40 and CON-50 should all work, and it should come with a metal sleeve to put over the cartridge. Also the model number on the sale page is listed as having an 18k nib, it's just discontinued. I'm waiting at least another week since I'm in Canada.

If anyone is still interested in a VP check Amazon's outlet page as there are a couple on there. Not as cheap of course, but the price is discounted a little bit more every day until they sell.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

GoldenNugget posted:

... recap it with a chopstick.

What? How? :confused:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The little stopper disc in the throat of Pilot cartridges can just be rotated back in to place.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
I ordered a metro. This was a sensible adult decision.

Maybe.

I picked Heart of Darkness, Diamine Ancient Copper, and J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Stormy Grey to start off with. I figure I can art with them if I don't use the pen as much as I think I will. (Also ordered a sample of Blue Ghost. How far does a 2ml sample go, anyway? I'm guessing not far?)

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 19, 2016

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

GoldenNugget posted:

sooooo jealous.

If you have separate ink you prefer, you can drain and refill the cartridge with an ink you prefer and recap it with a chopstick.

it literally came with a bone dry empty cartridge to use, so I was good to go there.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Pixelante posted:

Maybe.

I picked Heart of Darkness, Diamine Ancient Copper, and J. Herbin 1670 Anniversary Stormy Grey to start off with. I figure I can art with them if I don't use the pen as much as I think I will. (Also ordered a sample of Blue Ghost. How far does a 2ml sample go, anyway? I'm guessing not far?)

If you refill the cartridge the Metro comes with, the samples will get you about two full cartridges.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pixelante posted:

Maybe.

Heart of Darkness is a pretty awesome black. Like black black.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

KKKLIP ART posted:

Heart of Darkness is a pretty awesome black. Like black black.

...and it comes with a free pen!

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I picked up Preppy from the stationary store here in Japan (they are like 2 dollars) and liked the way it wrote. So I bought a Metropolitan, a Rhodia Webnotebook, Noodler's Walnut, and Waterman Serenity Blue. My wife really likes the inks and I'd like an inexpensive way to sample different colors. I've seen that people convert the Preppy into a dropper fill pen and was thinking that'd be an easy mod to make to really cheap pens that I can source locally. The problem is that I have no idea where to get an O ring the size I'd need. My mastery of Japanese makes it difficult to find very specific items like this too, so asking around at a store isn't really an option. Does anyone know where I could find the right size online?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Goulet sells the stuff you need for it (silicone grease and o-rings).

Otherwise you should be able to find o-rings in a hardware store, just get something a bit smaller than the pen so that it's not loose or anything when you put it on, cover the threads with silicone, and you're good to go.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Despair posted:

Otherwise you should be able to find o-rings in a hardware store, just get something a bit smaller than the pen so that it's not loose or anything when you put it on, cover the threads with silicone, and you're good to go.

Thanks. Goulet does free shipping to a military PO Box so it made sense to just buy the stuff there.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
I like the Charlie pen that came with my bottle of Heart of Darkness. If I'm careful and tip the pen nib-up once every A5 page it doesn't vomit a huge drop of ink onto the page, too. I'm currently fitting a Zebra G nib into a Jinhao X750 that came with a dodgy nib for a cheap flex pen.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

grack posted:

The little stopper disc in the throat of Pilot cartridges can just be rotated back in to place.

Huh. The more you know. I've always just washed them out and refilled with a syringe as needed. I don't know that I'd trust that stopper thing to be leakproof after being reset.

In other news and speaking of the stupidly cheap VP :neckbeard::

It writes so smoothly and the clicky action is awesome!

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I picked up Preppy from the stationary store here in Japan (they are like 2 dollars) and liked the way it wrote. So I bought a Metropolitan, a Rhodia Webnotebook, Noodler's Walnut, and Waterman Serenity Blue. My wife really likes the inks and I'd like an inexpensive way to sample different colors. I've seen that people convert the Preppy into a dropper fill pen and was thinking that'd be an easy mod to make to really cheap pens that I can source locally. The problem is that I have no idea where to get an O ring the size I'd need. My mastery of Japanese makes it difficult to find very specific items like this too, so asking around at a store isn't really an option. Does anyone know where I could find the right size online?

A Preppy converted to an eyedropper pen holds a shitload of ink, just by way of warning-- if you're trying to stretch your samples out or try them on multiple pens, you can easily accidentally dump a whole Goulet sample vial into a Preppy.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

RichterIX posted:

A Preppy converted to an eyedropper pen holds a shitload of ink, just by way of warning-- if you're trying to stretch your samples out or try them on multiple pens, you can easily accidentally dump a whole Goulet sample vial into a Preppy.

I appreciate the warning. I am mostly just looking for a way to sample different colors without the need for owning multiple more expensive pens. I bought enough O rings to convert 4 pens and since they only cost me 2 dollars each, I can try four different inks at once without the need for emptying and cleaning anything.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mr. Despair posted:

Regarding O-rings, everywhere I looked said to get 1/4" ID 1/16" wide o-rings. Those worked OK, but they are so big that they protrude quite a bit on a preppy and are too big to work reliably on a thin pen. I found that M1x8mm and M1x6mm are much slimmer and work nicely. They don't mess with the lines of the pen so much and can be compressed by tightening the threads without popping out of the groove.. M1x6 is good for slim pens like the Platinum Carbon Brush Pen, and M1x8 for wider pens like a preppy.

M1x6
M1x8
Silicone grease

taqueso fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jul 19, 2016

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
How absolutely necessary is an o-ring anyway? I have some because I did the eyedropper Preppy thing for a while until I got fed up with the lids cracking and tossed them all, but the ones I had kinda interfered with the lid when I put them on a 78g I was using as an eyedropper so I just greased the threads and never had any issues. I was always kinda concerned that it was a gamble on whether or not it was going to leak and eventually just went back to cartridges though.

e: I did see a few opinions posted elsewhere that indicated the o-ring was less for leak insurance and more about making sure you don't crack the barrel when you're tightening the pen back up, which considering how brittle the Preppy's plastic seems to be that's probably a good idea

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 19, 2016

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Everything Burrito posted:

the ones I had kinda interfered with the lid

I forgot to mention that I also had that problem with the 1/16" o-rings and the M1 o-rings fixed it.

taqueso fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 19, 2016

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

How absolutely necessary is an o-ring anyway? I have some because I did the eyedropper Preppy thing for a while until I got fed up with the lids cracking and tossed them all, but the ones I had kinda interfered with the lid when I put them on a 78g I was using as an eyedropper so I just greased the threads and never had any issues. I was always kinda concerned that it was a gamble on whether or not it was going to leak and eventually just went back to cartridges though.

e: I did see a few opinions posted elsewhere that indicated the o-ring was less for leak insurance and more about making sure you don't crack the barrel when you're tightening the pen back up, which considering how brittle the Preppy's plastic seems to be that's probably a good idea

It's more of a belt-and-suspenders approach, but especially with some inks being :pcgaming:LASER PROOF:pcgaming: you want to be careful. If it's ruining the pen or making it difficult to cap for you, by all means just go with the grease.

Also don't buy grease from Goulet. You can get 4 times as much for the same price from any hardware store or home center.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It really depends on the pen. The body threads on the 78g are much finer than on the Preppy, so silicon grease is likely good enough for a seal. The threads on the Preppy, on the other hand, are large and not particularly tight, so an o-ring is a good idea in that instance.

Also I bought a Pilot 845. Seriously, it just jumped in to my Amazon cart and I couldn't get it to leave. drat you, pretty pen! drat you! :arghfist::saddowns:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I was cleaning a bunch of pens all at once and managed to gently caress up two of my CON-50 converters, one by losing the metal agitator bit down the sink drain and one by cracking the barrel by twisting too hard when the metal sleeve wouldn't come off. Why did I get into this hobby

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

grack posted:

Also I bought a Pilot 845. Seriously, it just jumped in to my Amazon cart and I couldn't get it to leave. drat you, pretty pen! drat you! :arghfist::saddowns:

it's one of the best pens in the entire lovely industry

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I don't know if it's just because one of my Vanishing Points is fine nib, but I think the Private Reserve ink hosed up my pen. It's been super scratchy and the flow has been really poor, in contrast to the new VP that came in with the ink cartridge. I switched the PR out to Noodler's, and it's working better but not as good as the other pen.

So farewell PR! I'm gonna try soaking the pen I used with it and giving it a good long clean.

grack posted:

Those seem really gorgeous, and I fully understand the impulse pen buy! Mine tend to be Metros though, haha

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

grack posted:

Now there's a fancy pen, shame that I think ball clips look doofy. Still though, fancy.

After owning my Home Sapiens Crystal Swirls for about two months now I can say that holy crap this pen holds a lot of ink. Which is good because the nib is delightfully smooth and wet. I enjoy it so much I picked up a Florentine Hills on the cheap. Unfortunately lost the Visconti nib roulette with that one, up strokes are super dry and it's nowhere near as wet overall as the Crystal Swirls. Despite that I'm saving up for a London Fog, I'm just a sucker for those swirls. :negative:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
I have a question for you folks that own a VP/Capless/Decimo/whatever: How do you carry it?

Typically I carry the one pen that I plan on using that day in my pocket along with keys, change, etc. To keep it from getting too badly scratched up, I have a leather sleeve that most of my pens fit in nicely (right now it's got a Lamy Al-Star in it). But the VP presents a challenge in that, carried upright, the nib opening is open to any pocket lint or other stuff that might fall into it. But if you flip it over, the whole pen is upside down and it's more prone to leakage, etc.

My work is pretty business casual so I've usually got a polo shirt or something which precludes carrying the pen in a breast pocket (which would otherwise be the obvious choice).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

The nib opening of a VP has a spring loaded trap door over it, lint shouldn't be much of a problem. For that matter a good fountain pen won't leak if stored nib down.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

grack posted:

The nib opening of a VP has a spring loaded trap door over it, lint shouldn't be much of a problem. For that matter a good fountain pen won't leak if stored nib down.

It's spring-loaded, but the back of the feed still rubs against the edge of the opening, so after retracting the nib, there can be a bit of ink on the edge that can transfer onto your clothes or hands if the feed was wet.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Magnus Praeda posted:

I have a question for you folks that own a VP/Capless/Decimo/whatever: How do you carry it?

Typically I carry the one pen that I plan on using that day in my pocket along with keys, change, etc. To keep it from getting too badly scratched up, I have a leather sleeve that most of my pens fit in nicely (right now it's got a Lamy Al-Star in it). But the VP presents a challenge in that, carried upright, the nib opening is open to any pocket lint or other stuff that might fall into it. But if you flip it over, the whole pen is upside down and it's more prone to leakage, etc.

My work is pretty business casual so I've usually got a polo shirt or something which precludes carrying the pen in a breast pocket (which would otherwise be the obvious choice).

I carry my VP to school in my backpack every day. It lays horizontally in a little pen holder thing and I've never had even the slightest problem with it.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Any idea what this is? Googling SSteel gets me nowhere.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Looks like a Metro to me.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It's a Metro. "SSteel" in all likelihood refers to the nib, which is stainless steel.

grack fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 20, 2016

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Well, it's a metro or an MR.

Product number isn't terribly helpful, as it isn't pilots.

But presumably Canada'd get the US model, rather than the int'l one.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Zenostein posted:

Well, it's a metro or an MR.

Product number isn't terribly helpful, as it isn't pilots.

But presumably Canada'd get the US model, rather than the int'l one.

How different is an MR from a metro? The price looks about the same as the metros online. I have one coming, but I got impatient and scouted what was available in town.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Pixelante posted:

How different is an MR from a metro? The price looks about the same as the metros online. I have one coming, but I got impatient and scouted what was available in town.

The MR uses international standard cartridge/converters rather than Pilot's proprietaries, they are otherwise identical. The MR is also almost exclusively sold in Europe, the stuff you see labelled "MR" in Canada is usually a Metropolitan.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

grack posted:

The MR uses international standard cartridge/converters rather than Pilot's proprietaries, they are otherwise identical.
Annoyingly, you can't seem to get an MR with any nib other than medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Semprini posted:

Annoyingly, you can't seem to get an MR with any nib other than medium.

You can pick up a Pilot Penmanship quite cheaply and swap the nibs over. The Penmanship is available in anything up to EF (Pilot's EF is ludicrously fine).