Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

i think you are looking from a really narrow view if you believe the D pool is slim right now

Dude it's pretty f'n slim in terms of dudes who aren't old/declining and who aren't negative possession players. I still need to fill out my top four and out of the remaining guys left for that role, I'll bank on Werenski over most of them over the next three seasons at a fraction of the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Dude it's pretty f'n slim in terms of dudes who aren't old/declining and who aren't negative possession players. I still need to fill out my top four and out of the remaining guys left for that role, I'll bank on Werenski over most of them over the next three seasons at a fraction of the cost.

Can we compromise on "I like the Werenski pick more than Cam Fowler"?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That said if he plays next year and is awesome I'll gladly eat my words.

I don't think Werenski needs multiple years to develop and think he'll make an immediate impact, or at the very least be better than any of the veterans on D left by the end of his ELC. I legit think he'll be a franchise defenseman within 3-4 years.

Again, I don't know if you've been following him but he has absolutely put on a clinic at every level, including the AHL playoffs, and every scout calls him the most NHL-ready D prospect on the planet right now. He's really really really good dude.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Su

Can we compromise on "I like the Werenski pick more than Cam Fowler"?

Surely

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

i'm not talking about werenski's value vs. other d right now, i think the pick is fine. there's a lot of defensemen who have value that i think you guys are ignoring just because their corsi is bad. there's a lot more to a player than what his raw shot differential says

e: there's probably somewhere around 110-120 dudes who are legitimate top four defensemen in the NHL and we've drafted 70 or so of them because jesus christ y'all drafting cam fowler and poo poo

Aye Doc fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 18, 2016

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

i'm not talking about werenski's value vs. other d right now, i think the pick is fine. there's a lot of defensemen who have value that i think you guys are ignoring just because their corsi is bad. there's a lot more to a player than what his raw shot differential says

There are some guys left who are solid, I just don't think they're as valuable a pick for me considering the salary cap and their age. Not to mention that it's far more likely one of them is still around when I pick next, whereas Werenski would have absolutely been gone. This is not a vacuum, there's strategy in constructing a team in a salary cap league.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Well we should be really be doing a 30 player draft, not 23 -- but even in this context gently caress taking some pluggers when I can take a (high probabiliity even) potential elite player

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

Well we should be really be doing a 30 player draft, not 23 -- but even in this context gently caress taking some pluggers when I can take a (high probabiliity even) potential elite player

Hell no, half the teams will not even draft 23 guys

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

T-Bone posted:

hrmm umrph arr let's see here TOMAS HERTL never heard of him I'll take Havlat - tofes in 2013
please do not disrespect the memory of Marty Havlat RIP

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Werenski will probably be a good defenseman someday but not next year and definitely not under Torts

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Man, now we're getting to the heart of it I think. Picks are a lot more fun when they're contentious because they get you to re-evaluate your criteria and understanding of what makes a good player.

It's actually a very interesting question because there are plenty of players deployed as top defenseman that don't have appreciable effects on corsi, but they do on shot suppression. The problem with that is that even traditional shutdown defensemen like Sekera and Hjalmarsson do positively affect corsi whereas a guy like Emelin only prevents the other team from taking shots. (Sorry for mentioning Emelin if you were banking on him being forgotten but he's the best example I could think of who I would hope most folks don't give a poo poo about being mentioned because he is traditional viewed as a bad defenseman). However, by the nature of their being so few defensemen that actually do positively impact corsi do we have to accept that maybe Emelin is not a complete waste by the virtue of him potentially being better than someone who could replace him?

In that way I could see someone saying the criteria for what is "good" is skewed, but it could also be fair to say that there were roughly ~300 hockey d-men in the NHL last season so if distribution of professional talent follows a bell curve then there simply couldn't be 100 top-4 dmen.

I'm rambling though so I'd like someone else to run with this or refute it. I just think it's an interesting thought but I'm too tired/too far removed from statistics to follow it through.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

tofes posted:

Werenski will probably be a good defenseman someday but not next year and definitely not under Torts

He will use his incredible skating to get into lanes and block shots

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

80+ posts, man the draft must be flying!

Nevermind, it's just people complaining about dumb poo poo.

I gave Provorov some consideration over Murray, but I felt it was a tad early for him, even if he should be a sure first pairing guy in the future.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
in about 15 minutes Metapod can pick

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Infidel Castro posted:

Look, buddy, maybe this draft wasn't adequately explained to you...

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Infidel Castro posted:

I gave Provorov some consideration over Murray, but I felt it was a tad early for him, even if he should be a sure first pairing guy in the future.

I was going to respond with something snarky about your team but honestly it's pretty good so far so...
gently caress.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Man, now we're getting to the heart of it I think. Picks are a lot more fun when they're contentious because they get you to re-evaluate your criteria and understanding of what makes a good player.

It's actually a very interesting question because there are plenty of players deployed as top defenseman that don't have appreciable effects on corsi, but they do on shot suppression. The problem with that is that even traditional shutdown defensemen like Sekera and Hjalmarsson do positively affect corsi whereas a guy like Emelin only prevents the other team from taking shots. (Sorry for mentioning Emelin if you were banking on him being forgotten but he's the best example I could think of who I would hope most folks don't give a poo poo about being mentioned because he is traditional viewed as a bad defenseman). However, by the nature of their being so few defensemen that actually do positively impact corsi do we have to accept that maybe Emelin is not a complete waste by the virtue of him potentially being better than someone who could replace him?

In that way I could see someone saying the criteria for what is "good" is skewed, but it could also be fair to say that there were roughly ~300 hockey d-men in the NHL last season so if distribution of professional talent follows a bell curve then there simply couldn't be 100 top-4 dmen.

I'm rambling though so I'd like someone else to run with this or refute it. I just think it's an interesting thought but I'm too tired/too far removed from statistics to follow it through.

there are a lot of things that affect what a player's shot differential is from the big to the small - linemates, zone starts, competition, whatever. a lot of the D left are on bad teams and are going to be getting ice time with bad linemates in their own zone against a line of better players on the whole. for example last year i was arguing about Jake Gardiner being a #1 d-man and a lot of people disagreed because he had a corsi under 50 - nothing about his on-ice performance from last season to this season really changed that much, but his corsi went from 49 to 53. he saw some more starts in the offensive zone and some less in the neutral zone; his teammate's corsi went up like 6% so he was playing with better players, and obviously there was a systems change. i don't personally think Gardiner's value changed much, but it definitely seems like the perception of it has a little because now I see the media and more fans praising him for his play when before he was being torn down as a #4 guy.

i think for a lot of the D left, they're being overlooked because people are just seeing a raw number or raw numbers they don't like, but there are a lot of ways you can look at what's making that number what it is - quality of teammate stats, zone starts, relative possession stats, expected goals, whatever your pleasure. but by those metrics, a lot of the dudes left are positive impact players even if they aren't by corsi

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

T-Bone posted:

in about 15 minutes Metapod can pick

I'm ready to pick :f5:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Metapod posted:

I'm ready to pick :f5:

It's been more than two hours so you're up

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Colorado selects Mikkel Boedker

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Metapod posted:

MOTHERFUCKER

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Metapod posted:

Just when he thought he could escape.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I made a good pick :neckbeard:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Give me Radko Gudas. He's a fancy darling and a dirty piece of poo poo, both things I appreciate

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ginette Reno posted:

Give me Radko Gudas. He's a fancy darling and a dirty piece of poo poo, both things I appreciate

His fancy stats darlingness has really only been this season, and it wouldn't be shocking if it turned out that was a mirage.

That said, it's fun to watch him play and hit everything all the time.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

His fancy stats darlingness has really only been this season, and it wouldn't be shocking if it turned out that was a mirage.

That said, it's fun to watch him play and hit everything all the time.

He wasn't bad the two previous years, he just took a big step up this year.

Can't put a price on that truculence though. My soft forwards need an rear end in a top hat on the backend to keep the other team honest.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

With pick 221 the Blackhawks select Dylan Strome since arguing about prospects is so much fun.

It sounds like he'll probably make the NHL next year and he'd be sheltered a bit on my team as 3C behind Scheif and Anisimov. Plus the cap hit and expansion draft considerations that have been brought up lately itt.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah that was the other guy I was talking about w/r/t Connor. Strome will be in the NHL next season for sure, especially considering Arizona's situation. If he gets some time with Domi and Duke that could be a fun line.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 18, 2016

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

There's one more forward prospect who is in that same tier

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
gently caress it tilt time

time to bring back a hero to the Canadiens

Welcome back Saku.....wait he retired?

gently caress.

poo poo alright give me his less good brother whos regressing and expensive gently caress it

Mikko Koivu

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Paulocaust is skipped as of 6:51

ThinkTank is up, followed by The RECAPITATOR and Otis Reddit. let's go picking whoo yay

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'll take Charlie Coyle

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I'll take Charlie Coyle

Forgot about him but he's a solid young player

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

ThinkTank posted:

I'll take Charlie Coyle

Booooooooooooooooo

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
this is the part of the draft where all the guys I want get taken

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Teemu Pokemon posted:

this is the part of the draft where all the guys I want get taken

That was the first round, idiot.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

yeah wow darn Charlie Coyle aw shucks

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Recapitator has about 15 minutes to pick.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
My strategy of getting the guy I want via nobody making draft picks was risky but has apparently paid off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Otis Reddit can now pick.

• Locked thread