Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Treasure chests aren't exclusive to 10x leves, though they might have a better spawn rate for them.

Spawn rate's the same too, and they contain 5x amber-encased vilekin in the 10x leves, and 1x vilekin in 1x leves.

Honestly the only reason to do the 10x leves, in any circumstance, is time efficiency. They're never efficient use of the leve allowances if you have time to burn the individuals instead. Not for leveling things (read: crafters/gatherers, or if you're desperate combat jobs too I suppose), and not for amber-encased vilekin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I wouldn't bother with vilekin/temple leves, personally. Crystal sand is really not the limiting factor of that part of the relic (it's the insane amount of tomestones you need) so by the time you get all the umbrite you can get your crystal sand through poetics/GC seals/whatever else.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I don't know about that. I can buy about 1.5 umbrite for every sand I get, and I'm also buying eso gear for off classes. My sand is only coming in from poetic items and moonstones through exchanged gear - I don't have access to much more - and I'm pulling in far more eso than poe/items.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
That'll likely change, unless you're only running ARF/EX/60 roulettes. If you do hunts, at best you're looking at a 3:2 ratio (which is even for the anima), but there are considerably fewer in HW than in ARR. All told I I had 1 Sand left over at the end, but that was with buying Ironworks for alts.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I personally went with GC seals -> moonstones, vilekin, and poetics, and it got me almost exactly as many as I needed.

Now if I weren't an incredibly lazy rear end when it comes to crafting and gathering, some blue scrips would have been a nice easy option too. So yeah, with the variety of options available, sand isn't a huge roadblock, but vilekin are certainly an option for that.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I wish there was an easy way to remind you about the lore the class quests reveal in detail. It's either watch youtube vids with someone else's WoL or find bits and pieces on wikis. Like I completely forgot Shototo just brought down a meteor because she was bored that day, and I read someone talking about it in a thread about BLM lore.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Honestly I'm having more issues with getting Umbrite than I am with sand, I could honestly grind out more than enough sand doing gathering/crafting way faster than I can stand doing dungeons to keep up with them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sand is easy to get, if you have crafting / gathering available, and I'll augment it with vilekin. Umbrite just takes forever and I only have so much patience to chain run ARF over and over again. It feels like more of a slog than the 210 step.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Is this still a thing?

http://ffgoons.com/

I ended up putting the phrase to verify in every single space in my profile and it still couldn't find it.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

seiferguy posted:

Sand is easy to get, if you have crafting / gathering available, and I'll augment it with vilekin. Umbrite just takes forever and I only have so much patience to chain run ARF over and over again. It feels like more of a slog than the 210 step.

The problem isn't the Umbrite itself, it's only at most 24000 eso compared to unidentified's 55k eso and poetics each. The problem is that's the only way to get Umbrite, every other long step has multiple ways to obtain everything you need.

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I wouldn't bother with vilekin/temple leves, personally. Crystal sand is really not the limiting factor of that part of the relic (it's the insane amount of tomestones you need) so by the time you get all the umbrite you can get your crystal sand through poetics/GC seals/whatever else.

Amber-encased Vilekin are a fast and easy way to get Crystal Sand because they trade 1:1, and it's easily the best way to burn through leves you aren't using. The next-best way I found to get sands is Blue Gatherer's Scrips. One round of Morels and Cuprite every 30 minutes gives enough scrips for 5 tokens, which trades for 1 sand. Easy on the wallet, too.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Every step feels like a slog while you're doing it.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Davoren posted:

Is this still a thing?

http://ffgoons.com/

I ended up putting the phrase to verify in every single space in my profile and it still couldn't find it.

afaik ffgoons's automated authentication is hosed. Post your username here and hopefully an admin will see it and manually authenticate your account.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

The Chairman posted:

If you wish to be invited to PBC/DGKK/TPT, please register for FFgoons and follow the instructions that you can see once you're authorized. Registration for accounts less than 3 months old or with less than 10 posts may be declined; if you feel you're an exception or were incorrectly restricted, contact me.
Auto-auth is broken for now. Join the Discord and ask for help in the #auth_help channel. Have your SA profile link and character name on hand.
If you're already authorized and just want a re-invite, follow the procedure on ffgoons!

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
I pray for the laid back comfort of the umbrite step. I'm like 25/80 in UID
What are the chances of being able to get UIDs from POTD, or even a nerf?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Farg posted:

I pray for the laid back comfort of the umbrite step. I'm like 25/80 in UID
What are the chances of being able to get UIDs from POTD, or even a nerf?

Right now the fastest non-grind way of doing unid is beast tribe quests, Moogle in particular (at rank 7+ you get 3 kupo nuts a quest and it's 18 an unid).

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Thanks for the advice, guys. I managed to get a couple levels in before I had to hop off. I wish I could get a few more before maintenance. I'm just excited to get back to what it was like being level 50. CT, Ironworks gear, desperately trying to matter in Praetorium.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Right now the fastest non-grind way of doing unid is beast tribe quests, Moogle in particular (at rank 7+ you get 3 kupo nuts a quest and it's 18 an unid).

ive basically just been doing moogle every day (im sworn so thats 3.5 a week), expert and trial roulette and whatever other random stuff I do. If I was better about my roulettes and doing other beast tribes it would probably be quicker

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Please don't use your moogle tokens to buy unidentified items. You're throwing away millions of gil.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Millions of gil that is primarily useless until I want to spend it.

My want for getting unid'd items so I can advance my relic and check out it's neatness vastly outweighs my want for even more gil that will sit in my retainers pocket.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

Millions of gil that is primarily useless until I want to spend it.

My want for getting unid'd items so I can advance my relic and check out it's neatness vastly outweighs my want for even more gil that will sit in my retainers pocket.

Have you considered buying items to increase your character's effectiveness and/or neatness?

That said, it's more like 100-130k per un'ided item from the moogles (7 nuts is 1 fiber is about 50k), so it's not really that bad to buy relic kibble with your kupo nuts. I would have paid 8 million gil to skip the grind.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I would drop the entire 20M I have banked, plus every item in my, as well as my retainers' inventories, and zero out any and all other currencies just to be done with the unid poo poo on one relic and umbrite on the other.

I hope that Yoshi-P may yet give me a belated birthday present and nerf *something* of the relic this patch.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Bleu posted:

Have you considered buying items to increase your character's effectiveness and/or neatness?

That said, it's more like 100-130k per un'ided item from the moogles (7 nuts is 1 fiber is about 50k), so it's not really that bad to buy relic kibble with your kupo nuts. I would have paid 8 million gil to skip the grind.

PLD's i230+ with augmented tank gear (and plain eikon sword & board,) everything else is still getting current dungeon gear, I have glamours aplenty (working on a tank one,) gatherer's are at 60 and I'm working on getting crafters to 60 and prepping a set of Carbonweave gear for them. Even that isn't outpacing the income from Aquapolis, so I've got a nest egg of some millions of gil sitting on a retainer, waiting until I decide I want to spend it.

So yeah, glass fibers are great for making gil but they are also great for unid items.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jul 19, 2016

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Wow, I still can't even afford a FC room. I've gotta get my BLM to 60, boost up my relic, finish the pre HW patch quests, farm for ponies, seriously start on crafting, get used to CNJ so I can switch to AST, and thats not even end game. I love this game but it really exacerbates my issue of not being able to commit to doing one thing when there are a lot of options.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 19, 2016

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I kind of changed what I mainly play or I don't even know what I mainly play any more and it's really killing my drive to finish my relic. I generally get all my lore through PvP too, so I don't really get a whole lot of seals or poetics. I was getting my sand via gathering, but now I can't convince myself to do it. I wish there was a way to change it for another weapon. I don't want to do the unidentified step again. I'm hoping they'll nerf it next patch.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Patch notes are up. They did not nerf the Anima weapon quest in any way.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Wow, I still can't even afford a FC room. I've gotta get my BLM to 60, boost up my relic, finish the pre HW patch quests, farm for ponies, seriously start on crafting, get used to CNJ so I can switch to AST, and thats not even end game. I love this game but it really exacerbates my issue of not being able to commit to doing one thing when there are a lot of options.

I've had a lot of time to play the game and I've played it since ARR early access, without following the ebb and flow of subscription lapses. Everything comes with time and deciding what you want sooner than later helps filter everything. I don't care about ponies, I like having expertise in all classes at most levels of play, I strongly disliked HW crafting before moogles made it easy street and 80% of your gil expenditure is going to be put into crafting (that is the great secret of gil in this game.)

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
Oh hey Deep Dungeon weapons are 235. Nifty.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Disembodied stone head mount.

Well, I guess I actually have to care about Palace of the Dead a bit after all!

No new content, but the ability to exchange 99 totems from a HW EX Primal for that primal's bird, in case you get really shafted on drops.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Disembodied stone head mount.

Well, I guess I actually have to care about Palace of the Dead a bit after all!

No new content, but the ability to exchange 99 totems from a HW EX Primal for that primal's bird, in case you get really shafted on drops.

Only for the first three birds currently (probably since the other two fights still give relevant equipment). Those three birds also now have boosted drop rates. Updated ponybird history:

2.1: Nightmare added
2.2: Aithon (Ifrit), Xanthos (Garuda), Gullfaxi (Titan), Enbarr (Leviathan) added
2.3: Markab (Ramuh) added
2.4: Boreas (Shiva) added; all previous ponies (including Nightmare) drop rate boosted
2.5: Kirin added; all previous ponies (excluding Nightmare) drop rate boosted
2.56: All previous ponies (excluding Nightmare) drop rate boosted

3.2: White Lanner (Bismarck), Rose Lanner (Ravana), Round Lanner (Thordan), Warring Lanner (Sephirot) added
3.3: Dark Lanner (Nidhogg) added
3.35: White/Rose/Round Lanner drop rate boosted, same birds buyable with 99x of their respective primal token

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I really hope Palace of the Dead is a legitimate way to level up our under 60 classes.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I knew it! I knew the lady from Tam Tara hard mode would be showing up again!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead Complete the quest "The Nightmare's End."

lol

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vil posted:

3.35: White/Rose/Round Lanner drop rate boosted, same birds buyable with 99x of their respective primal token

Rip Tuya.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Obligatum VII posted:

I knew it! I knew the lady from Tam Tara hard mode would be showing up again!

She seems nice. :)

But yeah, hope it's as fun as it looks and since that whole plot is involved I'm even more excited than before.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
hhaha wow rip me for buying hive weapons for offjobs i'll never use.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Saucer Crab posted:

If you're going to play Lalafell, you should really consider whatever decisions you've made in your life that's led you to this point.

:mmmhmm:

Really looking forward to doing some dungeon crawling tomorrow, shame it's in 60min blocks I figure I'll end up just taking my sch down and never coming out.

Liver Disaster fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 19, 2016

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Grade V Materia - Gelmorran potsherd

RIP grade 5 materia.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

So what use do I have for poetics? I mean besides maybe having a set of ironworks ready die my second 50 I mean.

Edit
Highest isa level 54 Paladin for context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

xanthan posted:

So what use do I have for poetics? I mean besides maybe having a set of ironworks ready die my second 50 I mean.

Edit
Highest isa level 54 Paladin for context.

If you're going to ever think about doing Anima weapons, grab up Unidentified Items at the vendor in Mor Dhona. You'll need 20 of each. Theres 4 different types. The other two are purchasable on the other tomestone vendor that you'll get access to at 60. However theres a pretty good list of sources for all 4 items, including all of the beast tribes. The ARR tribes however, have an exclusive item to each tribe, Ixal not included. Just pair up the two tribes with the items not on the vendor and you can get a head start. You can buy Bones and Shells with Poetics, so you would need Kobolds for Ore, and Sylphs for Seeds. In addition to that, you can purchase any of your choice from the HW tribes, but at a cost increase.

Zokari posted:

*20 of each, 80 total.

Still awful, though.

Yeah that's right, it's almost 3 AM. RIP.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 19, 2016

• Locked thread