Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I wonder if a VPN is cheaper than CBS's dumb steaming service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I'm sure the whole thing will be able to be downloaded a day after it comes out in Europe

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I dunno six bucks a month doesn't seem terrible. If you could pick the 3 or 4 networks that have shows you wanna watch, you'd be paying 20 a month for it, and that's reasonable to me.

But odds are I won't be able to get all access in Canada so whatever. Yarr.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Once you get in the 10 or 20 channels because you aren't the only person in your household- it looks less favorable compared to just getting cable. On the other hand most cable networks are hot garbage and not worth watching, but I could still see it being enough that you'd just buy cable because it's cheaper.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Germstore posted:

I like the concept behind CBS All Access. Cutting out cable companies and allowing consumers to just pay for the channels they want is good. But $6 per month? Nah, man. Nah.

But its CBS so anyone with an OTA antenna can just watch most of the stuff for free.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Jimong5 posted:

But its CBS so anyone with an OTA antenna can just watch most of the stuff for free.

Hahahah, Again, no. You get one free broadcast episode of trek. You are expected to pay for the rest.

CBS thinks that they can go back to the days of WebTV-type concepts of televsion-on-the-internet.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
A la carte cable always seems like a good idea, but in practice it never works. I'd want the regular networks, but I'd be mad if I had to miss a show I like just because the network it's on doesn't have any other good shows. On comedy central I only watch South Park and I like South Park but I wouldn't pay $6 a month just to see it. Same goes with Archer on FX or Star Trek on CBS. I pay around $150 a month for cable, Internet and voip telephone. I think it's worth that just to have something playing in the background when I'm cleaning and the shows I do like on a DVR ready when I am.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

shadow puppet of a posted:

Hahahah, Again, no. You get one free broadcast episode of trek. You are expected to pay for the rest.

CBS thinks that they can go back to the days of WebTV-type concepts of televsion-on-the-internet.

Note I said "most of". Everything else on CBS all access is the same OTA programming that's free, unless they have more "exclusives".

So you're paying $6/mo for Star Trek and only Star Trek. The idea of a broadcast channel running a paid streaming service is completely stupid.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

It's not that stupid. I'm pretty close to broadcast towers but I can't get a dependable signal in every room. The price point is wrong in my opinion.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The only reason to actually pay for CBS's dumb service is if you're a big fan of the many NCSIs, Bing Bing Theory, or modern comedy classic "Two Fat People lol".

I look forward to CBS scrapping their plans after three episodes because no one is going to loving pay for this dumb bullshit.

naem
May 29, 2011

I'd pay a $1 an episode for unlimited streaming, so $20 something a season

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I think they canceled Two Fat People.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I've never heard of Two Fat People

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

naem posted:

I'd pay a $1 an episode for unlimited streaming, so $20 something a season

That would be completely reasonable. I wouldn't be surprised to see the networks take on an iTunes structure, honestly.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Most people are probably going to pay for one month or try to get a free promo month and then cancel immediately after binge watching the series.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jimong5 posted:

Most people are probably going to pay for one month or try to get a free promo month and then cancel immediately after binge watching the series.

They said it in the article it's releasing the in the traditional "one episode a week" format despite being online.

So lol.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Chomp8645 posted:

They said it in the article it's releasing the in the traditional "one episode a week" format despite being online.

So lol.

Haha, they really don't understand how this works, do they? CBS really is the network for old people.

naem
May 29, 2011

criscodisco posted:

Haha, they really don't understand how this works, do they? CBS really is the network for old people.

Some bunch of 60 year old executives had to really be sold hard on this "internet" fad they'd only just heard about

They probably want to charge extra to fit all those shows down a series of tubes

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

"So what are we going to put in the time slot after Star Trek?"

"There are no time slots."

"There are no time slots?"

"No."

"Okay, but what are we putting on after Star Trek?"

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The CBS execs are going to try some of the dirtiest money schemes once they realize there are no laws on the internet.

I'm looking forward to their attempt at Vince McMahon's 80's closed-circuit TV classic of ending Sunday night's pay per view on a cliffhanger so you can try to sell people on a second surprise pay per view on the following Monday night.

naem
May 29, 2011

Maybe we should get this hot young 47 yr old Internet computer wiz on the case

**dial up modem noises**

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
This omega particle is some serious stuff

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CBS All Access has commercials? Amazing. Way to lure in the masses of people who have had the Netflix experience soaked into their bones for the last five years.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
Janeway modifies her holographic lover's height by 3cm.

In the enlightened future, height still counts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

naem posted:

**dial up modem noises**

My parents are nearing their 60's and watch all the NCIS shows religiously. They hated the goth tech girl character until they heard the actress was an ultra religious conservative who posted some fake Facebook story about how she was harassed by Muslims or something. Now they love her.

My parents are CBS's ideal demographic and that's the real reason I have zero hope for this new series.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
CBS had All in the Family and for that I hope they last forever

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The new Star Trek will be one of the most pirated shows ever, if it's trash it'll be mercifully short and if it's good it'll be tragically cancelled too soon unless somebody else somehow picks it up

Either way they hired the loving Wrath of Khan guy and the dude who worked on most of the dozen good episodes of Voyager and a bunch of good TNG ones for it so I'm more optimistic than my dumbass 14 year old self should have been just prior to Enterprise's pilot episode

But if CBS's one intrusion into the show is a 90s goth chick I'm not going to complain

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
I am excited for the new show and I hope it is good in that it is entertaining and will lend itself to lighthearted poo poo posting in gbs.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Tighclops posted:

The new Star Trek will be one of the most pirated shows ever, if it's trash it'll be mercifully short and if it's good it'll be tragically cancelled too soon unless somebody else somehow picks it up
As other nerds have said today, the Netflix deal makes for an easy quick out for CBS to just lump it over there for the US market as well when All Access' failure becomes impossible to hide. They can then let Netflix pay to produce new episodes it if its a global hit for Netflix and CBS can just go back to absorbing whatever tariffs the charge for that permission and maybe simulcast them OTA with commercials as well. Far easier than trying to create a sizable market for a pay service that will never show up.

Write a check, flip a switch and you are there. The terms have probably been hashed out in advance for full-carriage via Netflix.

Its just CBS' pain threshold that is the issue.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hector Beerlioz posted:

I am excited for the new show and I hope it is good in that it is entertaining and will lend itself to lighthearted poo poo posting in gbs.

Didnt they say something about the new series going to be darker than 90's Star Trek or something?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Didnt they say something about the new series going to be darker than 90's Star Trek or something?

Gloom and grim is hot and in

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

shadow puppet of a posted:

As other nerds have said today, the Netflix deal makes for an easy quick out for CBS to just lump it over there for the US market as well when All Access' failure becomes impossible to hide. They can then let Netflix pay to produce new episodes it if its a global hit for Netflix and CBS can just go back to absorbing whatever tariffs the charge for that permission and maybe simulcast them OTA with commercials as well. Far easier than trying to create a sizable market for a pay service that will never show up.

Write a check, flip a switch and you are there. The terms have probably been hashed out in advance for full-carriage via Netflix.

Its just CBS' pain threshold that is the issue.

My concern is how much CBS will blame All Access's inevitable failure on the new show and how much they attempt to change and interfere before finally admitting defeat and shuffling it off to Netflix. Fuller may be running things, but he still has to answer to the network.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

naem posted:

Also not hot.

Michaeldim
Jan 29, 2011

:byodood:

And of course:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Michaeldim posted:

And of course:

as always ds9 beats voyager

naem
May 29, 2011

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Gloom and grim is hot and in

Can't wait for the grimdark fight scene where every single character looks at each other and yells MARTHA???

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

If by dark they mean on par with Dominion War DS9 that's great.

Edit: http://imgur.com/a/srDkM

Volcott fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 19, 2016

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Volcott posted:

If by dark they mean on par with Dominion War DS9 that's great.

Edit: http://imgur.com/a/srDkM

That scene pissed me off, because they gave him a chipmunk voice. That doesn't even make sense.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
It's not like he has vocal chords that are oscillating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
That would be like giving holograms a blood type. I mean, I know they're advanced, but not that advanced. It doesn't even make sense.