Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yeah I'm gonna base my Internet Monster decisions on a 5 second look at the CP number and arc instead of this hidden IV stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Finally got the candies for my Gyarados. Basically just replaces the Vaporeon I threw away this morning, but at least it looks cool. I named it "no transfer" just to remind myself.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

FistEnergy posted:

Yeah I'm gonna base my Internet Monster decisions on a 5 second look at the CP number and arc instead of this hidden IV stuff.

IVs didnt loving matter in the games, and they wont matter in GO.

People that feel otherwise are about as sensible as people who have exact macro nutrient diets.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nasgate posted:

Someday tho someone's gonna catch a shiny, and then it's loving on.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
Figuring out IVs is literally typing in a Pokemon name and 3 numbers into a spreadsheet, it's not that hard

Honore_De_Balzac
Feb 12, 2013

Nasgate posted:

People that feel otherwise are about as sensible as people who have exact macro nutrient diets.

They actually do matter quite a bit when you get into competitive. Though it is supper dumb they are still hidden.

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.
So, I'm from the US and Bahrain for work. I haven't been able to connect since mid day yesterday. Does anyone know if the app is being blocked in countries that it isn't officially released in yet or if Bahrain blocked it? Usually I can get on during the day. I even reinstalled the app.

Edit: Reinstalled the app again and restarted my phone. It loads up now but I'm ~4 miles from my actual location. Very odd.

Kwosge fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jul 19, 2016

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Should I be on the same team as my friends or a different one?

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Holy poo poo, I figured Victory Memorial would be a good spot but that's just nuts. Their "portals too close together" culling sweep did a pretty poor job there!

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Man, it's so easy to reflexively transfer a Pokemon and feel like a jackass. Twice now I've had a Pokemon I already have hatch out of an egg, go to transfer the previous one I had (since it's lower CP and I might as well take the candy), and then accidentally transfer the new Pokemon instead of evolving them. Goodbye Metapod and Graveler. You probably would've sucked, but my Pokedex might've appreciated it.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I didn't know the pokemans had 15 minute lifespans. I went the wrong way and Bulbasaur and his cool kids vanished. The three thing bug is bad and will never go away so whatever. :negative:

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

So I'm really behind the curve on this game due to not being able to play until evening walks in the park. Level 11, my best pokemon being a 436 Pigeot I evolved a while ago. I'd sort of given up on ever being able to play the gym game since people are in their 20s by now and the park is always guarded by lvl 1100 Arcanine and similar things, but today I decided what the hell and threw Pigeot into the fray, backed up by some growlithes and raticates and one very confused Jynx.

I BEAT IT. I BEAT THAT STUPID DOG INTO NEXT WEEK.

I only held the gym for about 3 minutes, but it felt good guys. It felt good. And I got my trainer coins too.

So yeah even if you feel like you're too behind to play with the gym bosses, give it a shot and see what happens.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

mistaya posted:

So I'm really behind the curve on this game due to not being able to play until evening walks in the park. Level 11, my best pokemon being a 436 Pigeot I evolved a while ago. I'd sort of given up on ever being able to play the gym game since people are in their 20s by now and the park is always guarded by lvl 1100 Arcanine and similar things, but today I decided what the hell and threw Pigeot into the fray, backed up by some growlithes and raticates and one very confused Jynx.

I only held the gym for about 3 minutes, but it felt good guys. It felt good. And I got my trainer coins too.

So yeah even if you feel like you're too behind to play with the gym bosses, give it a shot and see what happens.

Good work. Congrats. I felt good for holding two gyms up to the point I could reap benefits from them today, and I'm at 15 now.

Kwosge
Dec 6, 2005

Lincoln-fish, the most powerful of all the Lincoln based animals.

mistaya posted:

I wish you didn't have to go back to the gym to collect coins. I held a gym in an airport for a day and a half after I flew out. :(

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Hrist posted:

Seriosus question that I've seen answers on both sides of the past few days.

There's 2 pokestops within circle range of each other in one spot in town, and people seem to keep luring both at midnight to 3 am the past few nights for who knows why. Do the stop lures actually bring 'different' stuff in, or will they still be what is normally in that specific area? It seems pretty much split from what I read here, but I wondered if servers have changed it at all the last few days or anything.

It's in a not very lit, kinda weird place. And I'd rather not go for a cellphone game in the middle of the night if it's not worth it, and will just be more Pidgys and stuff anyway.

Lures and Incense can bring in anything. ANYTHING that's active in the game, anyway. I've gotten an electabuzz from a lure, for example, but getting anything better than the common spawns is pretty rare. Same with Incense. You get a new pokemon every 5 minutes or so until the lure runs out, you can overlap lures and incense so you generate multiples in 5 minutes (but don't reapply incense on yourself or lures on the same stop within the 30 minute time limit, you'll wind up waiting longer for the next pokemon and getting one less that way).

Nasgate posted:

IV's get you shinies in the real games, though, so they kinda matter for breeding if you want to do spreadsheet land IV transfer nonsense for the other color variant of your favorite imaginary critter. They also matter at higher level, it's a pretty big stat boost that's easily noticeable by level 50 and dramatically different at 99. If you aren't battling, though, it really doesn't matter as most of the stuff in the game is intentionally bad to average IV's.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Fix posted:

Good work. Congrats. I felt good for holding two gyms up to the point I could reap benefits from them today, and I'm at 15 now.

You can collect the coins right after you've captured a gym. Hit that button as soon as you're done capturing gyms for the day. 21 hours later you can hit the button again. You don't need to wait 21 hours to collect the first coins.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

TheAnomaly posted:

it's a pretty big stat boost that's easily noticeable by level 50 and dramatically different at 99. If you aren't battling, though, it really doesn't matter as most of the stuff in the game is intentionally bad to average IV's.

We already know that those levels you're mentioning are past the datamined level-cap of this game.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Neither are shinies, but that's because he is not referring to GO. He is talking about the other pokemon games where IVs matter more, and why they matter.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Can someone ELI5 this IV calculator?

Let's say that I have 2 Dratini's, one according to the calculator is level 20 85%. And the second is level 16 97%. Would I want to ever use the level 16? Or just stay with the higher one? Also, what is the maximum level? Also, who cares what % perfect it is, if it ultimately can only go so high. Like what really is the difference between a 99% perfect level 15? Or a 60% perfect level 16?

Zotix fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jul 19, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:sigh:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I am a loving moron. I bought more bag space, then later found out you can delete poo poo you don't need.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

jiggerypokery posted:

I am a loving moron. I bought more bag space, then later found out you can delete poo poo you don't need.

I'd still say that's the most useful upgrade you can buy.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

There is no cap on it though, right? You just buy 50 more spaces for ever.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

jiggerypokery posted:

There is no cap on it though, right? You just buy 50 more spaces for ever.

The item backpack caps out at 1000, I think.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Went for another walk around the lagoon I posted earlier with my lady, and a magikarp showed up, flopping its pathetic rear end all over the path. She caught it, and when I tried to my game froze and my 43% battery went straight down to 0%. As if I needed another reason to hate magikarps.

Also, is there a way to remove eggs from your inventory other than hatching them? Like if you have a few 5/10kms but a bunch of 2kms, can you chuck 'em?

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Zotix posted:

Can someone ELI5 this IV calculator?

Let's say that I have 2 Dratini's, one according to the calculator is level 20 85%. And the second is level 16 97%. Would I want to ever use the level 16? Or just stay with the higher one? Also, what is the maximum level? Also, who cares what % perfect it is, if it ultimately can only go so high. Like what really is the difference between a 99% perfect level 15? Or a 60% perfect level 16?

If you care about min-maxing, go with the level 16 since if he were to be level 20 he would have better stats than the other one. If you don't care about min-maxing, just use the level 20 and save your stardust/candies for other stuff.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The Endbringer posted:

Also, is there a way to remove eggs from your inventory other than hatching them? Like if you have a few 5/10kms but a bunch of 2kms, can you chuck 'em?

Nope. So you have to clock up a lot of miles or buy more incubators.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

what is the true function on the IV calculator?

edit* also I apparently have an impossible Clefable.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jul 19, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Calculates how much you're overthinking things.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I think you select true if you have already powered up the pokemon with some stardust.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
This game has the weirdest hot/cold spells.

Was at cousin walking for around 3km with my phone in my pocket, nothing. Wanted to show him the game and after walking for a long time I gave up since absolutely nothing came up. Near home, in suburb bumfuck I can find tons of them and the local town is basically constant pokemon. Go like 10 feet outside of house and I hit 2 in a row. Weird loving game, that is when it isn't freezing or making GBS threads itself on login.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Completely unverified but from facebook, funny if true

quote:

I love the fact that Justin Beiber bowls into Central Park with two body guards, who were absolutely pointless as nobody gave a flying gently caress about him because they were all too busy trying to catch a Pokemon. Ha.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

For all the people having trouble with Zubat catching (or really anything else), try this trick. With AR off when you first encounter a pokemon, there will be a closeup of it, it will typically roar at you, then the ball will appear, its name and CP appear and it will be drawn back to the distance it is set at (far, mid, close). Quickly flick the ball straight up the very second it appears (really, as soon as that ball shows up), before the pokemon has zoomed back to its position. Because the ball becomes active before the pokemon is moved back, if you are a quick draw you can get a ball off when it is right in your face, making it near impossible to miss. A lot of times you will also get a nice or great by doing this.

There are a few downsides to this strategy. It will only make the first catch guaranteed, if it breaks out of the ball, you're back to long distance throwing. You don't have time to use razz berries or change balls. You also don't have time to check its CP before launching your first ball, if it is big/prone to run, you'd better get it with that first toss. I have had great success getting commons I don't care about (Zubat, Pidgey, Weedle & Co.) this way, with probably an 80% success rate. I've even had Zubats break out on me before and instead of spending a ton of balls trying to get him from a distance, just ran and started the encounter again. I would not recommend this strategy for pokemon you care about, use the razz berries and the higher level balls and take your time. But for the Stardust fodder? Sure.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Indonesian police say they have detained a French man who trespassed on a military base while playing the augmented reality game Pokémon Go.

A spokesman for West Java police said Romain Pierre, 27, was caught at a checkpoint on Monday evening after initially running away when challenged by security guards at the military complex in Cirebon.

Pierre was released a few hours later because it became apparent “he unintentionally entered the complex as he was hunting Pokémon while jogging,” the police spokesman, Col Yusri Yunus, said on Tuesday.

“Pokémon Go,” which uses Google Maps and a smartphone to overlay reality with Pokémon creatures, has been a blockbuster hit in the US and other countries where it is available. It has not been officially released in Indonesia but is already popular.

The cabinet secretary, Pramono Agung, told reporters last week he had captured a number of Pokémon at the presidential palace in Jakarta, the Indonesian capital.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Indonesian police say they have detained a French man who trespassed on a military base while playing the augmented reality game Pokémon Go.

A spokesman for West Java police said Romain Pierre, 27, was caught at a checkpoint on Monday evening after initially running away when challenged by security guards at the military complex in Cirebon.

Pierre was released a few hours later because it became apparent “he unintentionally entered the complex as he was hunting Pokémon while jogging,” the police spokesman, Col Yusri Yunus, said on Tuesday.

“Pokémon Go,” which uses Google Maps and a smartphone to overlay reality with Pokémon creatures, has been a blockbuster hit in the US and other countries where it is available. It has not been officially released in Indonesia but is already popular.

The cabinet secretary, Pramono Agung, told reporters last week he had captured a number of Pokémon at the presidential palace in Jakarta, the Indonesian capital.

The Chinese and Russians might ban it as long term, the places people haven't gone playing it are likely to be places they can't go. In other worse, dark spots are great places to point a surveillance satellite.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Is because people like me that we can't have nice things.

I just uploaded a Ponyata to one of these "track pokemon" phone apps in a location of a shop that have a big rainbow painted statue of a pony in the entrance.

I like to think the people that will follow my signal will be half disappointed, half amused.

Chewbot
Dec 2, 2005

My Revenge Meat!
Ok real talk if you want to do well without worrying about poo poo like IVs.

I caught about 150 pokemon in charmander park tonight, walked about 5 miles. I looked up the IVs on nearly everything and there was a very clear recurring pattern: almost all of it was garbage (IV wise) with one exception: egg hatches. I've hatched about 15 eggs while above level 15 and they universally have above-average if not excellent IVs.

In my mind right now the game is about hatching eggs, hoping for a good find, and then feeding them the trash you catch lying around on the ground. Do this and the majority of the time you'll come out ahead.

Also last night I found a 1582 Snorlax and hatched a 1088 Scyther, and made level 19, so I can officially start playing this game now I think.

Chewbot fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 19, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's been raining all evening. Also the spots in the park and outside the library have been lured all night too.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Chewbot posted:

Ok real talk if you want to do well without worrying about poo poo like IVs.

I caught about 150 pokemon in charmander park tonight, walked about 5 miles. I looked up the IVs on nearly everything and there was a very clear recurring pattern: almost all of it was garbage (IV wise) with one exception: egg hatches. I've hatched about 15 eggs while above level 15 and they universally have above-average if not excellent IVs.

In my mind right now the game is about hatching eggs, hoping for a good find, and then feeding them the trash you catch lying around on the ground. Do this and the majority of the time you'll come out ahead.

Also last night I found a 1582 Snorlax and hatched a 1088 Scyther, and made level 19, so I can officially start playing this game now I think.

This is how I have been playing the game. At level 22, out of my top 6 pokemon, I caught 0 of them (the only outlier being a 1700 exegg I saw but ran away, don't think I've actually seen anything above 1100 otherwise). 1942-1892-1834-1821-1355-1270. 3 from 10km eggs, 3 from 5km eggs, and going on 80km tracked travel. If you're farming under lures you might get a lot more candy/xp and the occasional rare spawn, but walking is where its at.

Nephzinho fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I've only had one 10k egg. The result? A Kabuto.

Now yes it's incredibly rare, just not very useful right now

• Locked thread