Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BillmasterCozb posted:

Because he wants it to be a game for him and him alone

That would require not using the Devcheats, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

poor starbound, consistently crashing at boot

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

Because he wants it to be a game for him and him alone

A game of snakes and sparklers

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Food not stacking is BAD and contact damage makes combat unfun all by itself without help from anything else. Unfuck guns, remove contact damage BS, reduce bullet and skill energy costs and combat -might- be fun eventually.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The single worst design decision when it comes to Starclowned is the loving guns. For a game that had procedural, crazy guns as one of the selling points they sure went out of their way to make guns not just useless but unusable.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Do the guns still feed off your energy? Because that is loving dumb

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Magmarashi posted:

Food not stacking is BAD and contact damage makes combat unfun all by itself without help from anything else. Unfuck guns, remove contact damage BS, reduce bullet and skill energy costs and combat -might- be fun eventually.

Wait seriously? Food doesn't stack anymore? :lol:

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The single worst design decision when it comes to Starclowned is the loving guns. For a game that had procedural, crazy guns as one of the selling points they sure went out of their way to make guns not just useless but unusable.

Well, NPCS can have it good. Some of the most dangerous NPCs I've faced were ones with 1 damage per shot uzis but able to fire them forever. Which only got worse once they made player shields of limited use.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Section Z posted:

Well, NPCS can have it good. Some of the most dangerous NPCs I've faced were ones with 1 damage per shot uzis but able to fire them forever. Which only got worse once they made player shields of limited use.

Some food does, but most doesn't cause it spoils, and spoilage is tracked individually, so identical food items aren't actually identical.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Section Z posted:

it rots, too

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
hi guys I have some really bad ideas and can make things really unfun is chucklefish hiring? I think I can add a lot to the team

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

hi guys I have some really bad ideas and can make things really unfun is chucklefish hiring? I think I can add a lot to the team

Hmm maybe. For your technical interview you will be given an example of a fun game and will be asked to how you would ruin it in as short a time as possible

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Digirat posted:

Hmm maybe. For your technical interview you will be given an example of a fun game and will be asked to how you would ruin it in as short a time as possible

well you see, are you only having fun in a game if you're experiencing difficulty?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

there is notihng quite like bootig up the most recent version of this game and actually getting alittle bit excited at the things they actually have managed to done

and then getting into the proper game and seeing that combat. wow.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

voltcatfish posted:

there is notihng quite like bootig up the most recent version of this game and actually getting alittle bit excited at the things they actually have managed to done

and then getting into the proper game and seeing that combat. wow.

Without contact the damage the combat wouldn't really be anything to get hackles up about, I feel. It's no worse than Terraria at the very least

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Fargin Icehole posted:

Do the guns still feed off your energy? Because that is loving dumb

found some pistol on the first planet and it's eating a fifth of my energy per shot for damage that's more or less about fifth of a normal melee hit of the starter sword

good game good guns

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The guns should be like Contra :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That sounds pretty nice-
"I played that on NES! Having to push the fire button for every shot on your machinegun! Brilliant!"
No, bad Tiy, bad!

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

more like contra: hard corps

and more bosses like it, too

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

^^^^^^ That's my favourite of the series. Yay multiple paths and endings!

Section Z posted:

That sounds pretty nice-
"I played that on NES! Having to push the fire button for every shot on your machinegun! Brilliant!"
No, bad Tiy, bad!

Wow, you really Tiy'd that up, drat.

Anyway, what I actually meant was that different types of guns would fire vastly different things, and would have a different behaviour.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

^^^^^^ That's my favourite of the series. Yay multiple paths and endings!

Wow, you really Tiy'd that up, drat.

Anyway, what I actually meant was that different types of guns would fire vastly different things, and would have a different behaviour.

Yeah, I figured that's what you meant. Plenty of cool weaponry, like the Laser-
"You mean the one that has the existing shot vanish every time you fire a new one? Such Risk Vs. Reward!"
Goddamnit.

Neo Contra was also pretty fun. Me and my brother did use a Gameshark, but not for lives. We used it to ensure max rankings so we'd be allowed to play the final levels :downs:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I love that they had all these super weird crazy variants for axes and guns and rocket launchers, but then removed those from the random pool and put them exclusively on the premade/non-generated weapons.
So none of the random weapons you find will actually be cool or interesting, but everyone is going to find that one axe that shoots skulls.

Nice, that's way better than letting us find cool effects at random.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

I love that they had all these super weird crazy variants for axes and guns and rocket launchers, but then removed those from the random pool and put them exclusively on the premade/non-generated weapons.
So none of the random weapons you find will actually be cool or interesting, but everyone is going to find that one axe that shoots skulls.

Nice, that's way better than letting us find cool effects at random.

I like how they took out all the cool and unique looking race-specific weapons and gave us two weapons per upgrade tier, sometimes the weapon you like to use!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
starbound

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
Does it still have enough of a userbase that I can expect 3rd party mods to patch the fun back in at some point? Or should I just uninstall now?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

EricFate posted:

uninstall now

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

EricFate posted:

Does it still have enough of a userbase that I can expect 3rd party mods to patch the fun back in at some point?

Actually... yes, probably. Don't forget how godawful Minecraft was at anything beyond being Computer Legos, if a game has enough of a userbase invested in it the mods will come.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but mods would mostly bring more of the same: a whole bunch of unrelated features that don't do anything consistent together because there's no overall vision. We already have that game.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Mods will bring ponies and Zelda weaponry and SUPER MEGA REALISM HARDCORE SURVIVAL MODE

"Listen it tires me out to walk across a room IRL so my mod makes it that every five steps depletes half your energy unless you eat a pizza also you're constantly starving"

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gimbal lock posted:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but mods would mostly bring more of the same: a whole bunch of unrelated features that don't do anything consistent together because there's no overall vision. We already have that game.

eh, some people actually make huge, sweeping mods that can fundamentally change how a lot of things work because they find it fun. a lot of the time the barrier to entry is how difficult the game is to mod for, and i don't think starbound can hold a candle to minecraft in that department. despite how awful minecraft's code is people still manage to make gigantic mods.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

eh, some people actually make huge, sweeping mods that can fundamentally change how a lot of things work because they find it fun. a lot of the time the barrier to entry is how difficult the game is to mod for, and i don't think starbound can hold a candle to minecraft in that department. despite how awful minecraft's code is people still manage to make gigantic mods.

He's right though. Frackin' Universe is a massive sweeping mod that is as bad as the vanilla game because there is no real vision in mind for it. It's huge and has some neat ideas but it's not fun because it's also the Greg tech of starbound.

Mods won't fix starbound because tiy made sure that everything caters to the retards who think tedium and boring = challange.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

please don't mention the words 'greg' and 'tech' near each other again, lest it taint everything we hold dear

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

grimcreaper posted:

Mods won't fix starbound because tiy made sure that everything caters to the retards who think tedium and boring = challange.

Mods are my only hope for Cool Farming in the face of a playerbase who will suggest ways to make farming even harder "for immersion" in the official comments :saddowns:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I remember there already being some huge mod for unfucking Starbound that only got dropped cuz Tiy couldn't decide how many ways he wanted to gently caress it

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Johnny Joestar posted:

Starbound is fairly moddable as things go. Lua is an awful programming language and its developers ought to be taken out back and shot but if you can put up with it you can do some fairly extensive mechanical changes. I've seen people reimplement temperature mechanics and personally experimented with my own take on a non-meaningless/tedious hunger mechanic, as well as undoing the reintroduction of touch damage. On the content side most stuff is fairly open to modding as well, although JSON being a garbled mess makes it a pain in the rear end.

Overall I'd say most of the issues with Starbound can definitely be fixed by mods simply because the fundamental mechanics of the game are sound, its just that instead of taking a good idea (e.g. the combat after they removed touch damage) and sticking to it, removing issues and building on it they move on to the next random idea, breaking previous systems and leaving an unbalanced, directionless mess.

For what its worth I've been planning to do a massive overhaul mod for Starbound for ages, mostly just waiting for 1.0 so the game is in an at least somewhat stable state, just so I don't have to deal with implementing feature x only to have it suddenly become part of the base game but in a slightly more lovely way. I've got a rough concept lined up (mostly gonna focus on sandbox gameplay, adding practical functionality to exploration, mining, building, etc. to create a more integrated progression with a focus on concrete gameplay rewards and changing threats balanced by increased player capability), once I know where 1.0 stands I'll refine it a bit and start working on implementation.

I already have a bunch of ideas on rebalancing progression, a lot of which is long-standing complaints, e.g. instead of monsters simply getting numerical increases to their stats each tier should have monsters change in meaningful ways. More and bigger monsters, make them become more agile, more aggressive, give them ranged attacks, etc. Same for player capabilities, as tech gives improved movement to better fight higher tiers of armor should confer increasingly powerful bonuses, the different kinds of armor should provide buffs according to their associated playstyle, so melee armor should give improved move speed, ranged armor improved energy regen, "magic" armor something that helps with using staffs (never could figure out a good buff for that one, otherwise I would have published that mod back when I originally created it). Construction should tie into progression in a natural way, rather than simply existing as an optional money farm. Give the player incentives to build a farm and shelter early on, then as the game goes on you can get tenants to earn money and then you use that money to pay farmers who work the farms for you. Build science labs staffed by scientists to unlock new biomes or special armor sets with unique effects. And obviously the combat needs a good overhaul too. Touch damage needs to go die in a fire, guns need a balance pass, random weapons need to be good enough to actually compete with craftables so they're actually worth using instead of vendor trash, etc.

Honestly, I think that this game can be good, it just needs some direction and polish, rather than being broken again and again by Tiy's idea of the week.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

we all know starbound is bad but don't get so :negative: that you begin to doubt the healing power of mods, that's pretty baseless

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

yeah mods saved spacebase ds-9

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna make a hunger mod that takes the food macro into consideration. Carbs are cheap and grant temporary energy boosts, Protein will cause small but permanent health increases as long as you keep the protein intake and fat will reduce your jump height and walking speed

hire me tiy

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

nerdz posted:

I'm gonna make a hunger mod that takes the food macro into consideration. Carbs are cheap and grant temporary energy boosts, Protein will cause small but permanent health increases as long as you keep the protein intake and fat will reduce your jump height and walking speed

hire me tiy

But what about LDLs vs HDLs?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Gimbal lock posted:

:nexus: mods would bring comically large titties and penises

also ponies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SovietPotatoe
May 14, 2011

Master of the Duncspawn Taint

Excelzior posted:

:nexus: mods would bring comically large titties and penises

also ponies

They already did both of those things

• Locked thread