Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wow, that guy tried to pull gymkhana moves without actually looking at his mirrors first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Ive always hated that part of DFW.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Takes No Damage posted:

Here's something we can all agree on, putting spindly little plastic sticks as the barrier for HOV lanes was perhaps not the greatest idea in hindsight. From my local subreddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIX7EDOPoY

I like how at the end of the video you see someone else crossing over the barrier to get back in the HOV

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

The Mandingo posted:

Ive always hated that part of DFW.

Yeah, mixture of business traffic and rich people in the suburbs with avoidance of toll roads always make fun. The best time I had driving there was my sisters beater sebring missing half the paint and just getting nervously close to trophy wives in mercedes.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Takes No Damage posted:

Here's something we can all agree on, putting spindly little plastic sticks as the barrier for HOV lanes was perhaps not the greatest idea in hindsight. From my local subreddit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIX7EDOPoY

The liberated tire makes its escape successfully down the exit ramp.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

FuzzKill posted:

I like how at the end of the video you see someone else crossing over the barrier to get back in the HOV

I choose to believe that person is a Good Samaritan and is stopping to help

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

buttcrackmenace posted:

I choose to believe that person is a Good Samaritan and is stopping to help

It looks like they stop as soon as they get in front of the wreck so you're probably right :unsmith:

I kinda wish I had pulled the video now, but a few months ago I was behind a BMW at a red light and when it went green he just sat there for a second. I was all ready to go 'arg arg arg fuckin beemr assholes think they own the road bla bla' then he rolled his window down and handed some cash to a dude who was begging on the medium. Oh..... oh. It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat :(

vvv Do you think that was really his intent? If so I guess all beemer drivers really are assholes :lol:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 8, 2016

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Takes No Damage posted:

It looks like they stop as soon as they get in front of the wreck so you're probably right :unsmith:

I kinda wish I had pulled the video now, but a few months ago I was behind a BMW at a red light and when it went green he just sat there for a second. I was all ready to go 'arg arg arg fuckin beemr assholes think they own the road bla bla' then he rolled his window down and handed some cash to a dude who was begging on the medium. Oh..... oh. It's me, I'm the rear end in a top hat :(

It's cool. You can contribute to someone else's drug problem at the next intersection.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I think my favorite might be the clip where the concrete mixer falls through the pavement with no warning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SXAkpxF6_k

Nitrox posted:

It's cool. You can contribute to someone else's drug problem at the next intersection.

Can you please take your terrible opinions to D&D instead of spewing them here? My GF was homeless for several years and has been that person. She dragged herself out of it, now has two degrees in electrical engineering and makes enough money that her taxes from her first six months of employment paid for every social service she ever had to use while homeless. I don't want to hear your bullshit, go fap about bootstraps where you're supposed to.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

kastein posted:

I think my favorite might be the clip where the concrete mixer falls through the pavement with no warning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SXAkpxF6_k

Can you please take your terrible opinions to D&D instead of spewing them here? My GF was homeless for several years and has been that person. She dragged herself out of it, now has two degrees in electrical engineering and makes enough money that her taxes from her first six months of employment paid for every social service she ever had to use while homeless. I don't want to hear your bullshit, go fap about bootstraps where you're supposed to.
Assisting the homeless out of their homelessness should be the prerogative of the state and charitable organizations that can manage the complex and comorbid problems that go along with the homelessness, including drug addiction, as Nitrox pointed out. People just handing out cash at the freeway exit perpetuates the cycle.

But that's an argument perhaps better left for another thread.

AF
Oct 8, 2007
hi

kastein posted:

Can you please take your terrible opinions to D&D instead of spewing them here?

lead the way

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Can we all at least agree that these two fine gents should be homeless and probably deserve to be addicted to drugs as well? Although, this is northbound on 75, maybe they were just belatedly trying to get the gently caress away from downtown Dallas?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H_3pMrAts0
:rice:

I need a camera with better night vision, both plates were just blurry white rectangles in the raw video.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Nothing too spectacular, just a Maserati launching from a light. Thankfully I had my windows open a little but it sounded awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHCAfVV30yE

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cugel the Clever posted:

Assisting the homeless out of their homelessness should be the prerogative of the state and charitable organizations that can manage the complex and comorbid problems that go along with the homelessness, including drug addiction, as Nitrox pointed out. People just handing out cash at the freeway exit perpetuates the cycle.

But that's an argument perhaps better left for another thread.
Thank You

Now, oldie but goodie https://youtu.be/GCuLCEv1a5M Read the video description for an explanation

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
So, truckers hear of a local frisk gang, and when a fresh trucker radios in their location, they all decide to retaliate?

Pretty loving kickass.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Geirskogul posted:

So, truckers hear of a local frisk gang, and when a fresh trucker radios in their location, they all decide to retaliate?

Pretty loving kickass.

What's a frisk gang?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

MrOnBicycle posted:

I love how she doesn't even move her head in the slightest while he's honking. Either she is blind as a bat, or she is ignoring him for some dumb reason.

As a cyclist I've noticed this an awful lot, when drivers do some dumb poo poo like pull out right in front of you, try to drive into you, ACTUALLY DRIVE INTO YOU there's always this loving bizarre lack of acknowledgement like if they don't look at you then they didn't do something dangerous.

Riding to work one morning I was taking my usual route up a nice long straight road when a guy fails to look in his rear view or side mirror and pulls out of a bus stop alongside me on the road, so close that I can (and did) knock on his driver's side window which apparently he didn't hear. I wasn't there in his mind. It was only when I got in front of him that he saw me and it was then he got angry at me, shouting out of his window that he'd pulled out well ahead of me. I mean we'll ignore the fact that if someone is rapping on your driver's window you're probably not ahead of them...

Dunno what the deal is, there has to be some psychological reason behind why they don't look at you, maybe it's because they obviously don't look at anything whilst driving?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SpannerX posted:

What's a frisk gang?

"Pay me whatever you've got or we slash your tires/shoot you."

Same as those kids in 3rd world countries that set up burning tire roadblocks.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

88h88 posted:

As a cyclist I've noticed this an awful lot, when drivers do some dumb poo poo like pull out right in front of you, try to drive into you, ACTUALLY DRIVE INTO YOU there's always this loving bizarre lack of acknowledgement like if they don't look at you then they didn't do something dangerous.

Riding to work one morning I was taking my usual route up a nice long straight road when a guy fails to look in his rear view or side mirror and pulls out of a bus stop alongside me on the road, so close that I can (and did) knock on his driver's side window which apparently he didn't hear. I wasn't there in his mind. It was only when I got in front of him that he saw me and it was then he got angry at me, shouting out of his window that he'd pulled out well ahead of me. I mean we'll ignore the fact that if someone is rapping on your driver's window you're probably not ahead of them...

Dunno what the deal is, there has to be some psychological reason behind why they don't look at you, maybe it's because they obviously don't look at anything whilst driving?

This isn't an excuse to driving around with your head up your rear end, but if you see something that you truly do not expect your brain can choose to just ignore it. It's called Selective Attention:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Getting further and further away from the topic of motorized vehicles here, but I'll never forget the time I biked on a trail past a runner who likely suffered from a bit of selective attention, himself. I just happened to cruise up right alongside him from behind for about 10 seconds as I was catching my breath, and the moment I start pedaling again he looks over and shouts in surprise, going so far as to throw his hands up in the air and come to a comical startled stop behind me. He probably had headphones in, but I should have definitely been in his peripheral vision.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Getting further and further away from the topic of motorized vehicles here, but I'll never forget the time I biked on a trail past a runner who likely suffered from a bit of selective attention, himself. I just happened to cruise up right alongside him from behind for about 10 seconds as I was catching my breath, and the moment I start pedaling again he looks over and shouts in surprise, going so far as to throw his hands up in the air and come to a comical startled stop behind me. He probably had headphones in, but I should have definitely been in his peripheral vision.

It's polite to "On your left!" people, you know.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Raluek posted:

It's polite to "On your left!" people, you know.
Definitely, and I usually do, so I suppose I should clarify that the trail was easily 12-feet wide with no oncoming traffic. "Right alongside", in this instance, left a very healthy breathing room, so I did without the warning.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Cugel the Clever posted:

Definitely, and I usually do, so I suppose I should clarify that the trail was easily 12-feet wide with no oncoming traffic. "Right alongside", in this instance, left a very healthy breathing room, so I did without the warning.

Do it anyway. All he needs to do is decide it is time to start running back home to ruin your day.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmDO_Y9D-LU
One biker got a broken leg and some other injuries, other is mostly fine but has full body bruising and a bruised liver.

I'd probably have been riding in the left lane to avoid that type of accident too.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Why does it take the fuckers with the ringside seats fifteen whole seconds to do anything? That can't possibly have been a quiet event from that vantage point.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Why does it take the fuckers with the ringside seats fifteen whole seconds to do anything? That can't possibly have been a quiet event from that vantage point.

*violence*

*stunned* "Oh poo poo!"

*throws trans into park / neutral + brake*

*unlocks phone*

*dials 000*

*hands off phone*

*runs to help*

Seems about right.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

buttcrackmenace posted:

*violence*

*stunned* "Oh poo poo!"

*throws trans into park / neutral + brake*

*unlocks phone*

*dials 000*

*hands off phone*

*runs to help*

Seems about right.

Part of "stunned" but normal people easily take a few seconds to just sit and process what happened, look at the injured people, assess whether or not they need help, etc.

What was that loud noise? Where is it? Is the guy getting up? Can I just saunter over or should I run? Is it serious enough to call emergency services?

All these thoughts take small increments of time that add up, plus the aforementioned physical actions.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

Part of "stunned" but normal people easily take a few seconds to just sit and process what happened, look at the injured people, assess whether or not they need help, etc.

What was that loud noise? Where is it? Is the guy getting up? Can I just saunter over or should I run? Is it serious enough to call emergency services?

All these thoughts take small increments of time that add up, plus the aforementioned physical actions.
You're absolutely right. Potential perspective on the comment (I don't know if bolind is like this, but ...):

"Non-normal" people don't take this long. The times in recent memory I've seen a serious accident, I had evaluated the situation and begun running toward it before the car(s) stopped rolling. It's something that different people handle markedly differently, and if one were to have one perspective, look at (and to some extent, fail to understand) the other, it can be remarkable.

Not saying either is right or wrong, certainly not trying to toot my own horn, but it is something I've observed through my own experience. I had the same thought as him a long time ago, and simply evaluated it as "Oh yeah, not everyone is like this".

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My comment was a bit flippant, I must admit, and you're all right. I have personally only ever had to react quickly to a few minor accidents (guy endoing and face planting on his bike, dude over correcting at a track day and running into the armco) and I'd like to think that I reacted promptly and reasonably correctly in all situations, but it's something that I've sorta had to teach myself, and probably also a bit of leftovers from my civil defense service (think military service light, centered around fire fighting and EMS) around the turn of the millennium.

I get that, on average, this is how it's going to be, but I also would like to promote that everyone at least read up on basic first aid and accident response.

Edit: Oh yeah, and there was the time when someone's MR2 decided to cremate itself on the far end of the track. At a track day too, can't remember if it was the same one as the armco kisser.

bolind fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jul 19, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I'd be over the moon to get a response time like that.

Last time I had an accident, I stood, bend double, on the roadside, flagging down passing cars and none of the buggers stopped for me.

gently caress moms on the school run.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

It's definitely something that takes practice or experience, and after that a "do something" attitude. I worked in heavy industry for my first job, and the first time I remember experiencing anything like an accident, we were in a warehouse and a HUGE boom with floor-shaking happened in the next warehouse over. I just stood there while the two seasoned engineers I was working with bolted towards the noise without hesitating. It was a lifting chain failure on a gantry crane, and fortunately nobody got hurt at all, they just dropped a very heavy chunk of equipment on the floor.

Ever since then when an accident happens I at the very least spring into action whether it's running to help, or the simple act of calling 911. I remember witnessing a bicycle accident and without hesitating I whipped my car out of traffic, parked, and ran over to yell for 911, assess, and at very least tell the victim to lie still and that help was coming. I don't have first aid training or anything beyond basic high school health class but doing something feels a lot better than doing nothing.

At the same time, if you're not experienced with the thought process of "jesus christ, DO something" then standing and staring or moving on with your life is about the limit of what you can do. Shock is a hell of a thing.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

LloydDobler posted:

At the same time, if you're not experienced with the thought process of "jesus christ, DO something" then standing and staring or moving on with your life is about the limit of what you can do. Shock is a hell of a thing.

I think there's also a nonzero element of not wanting to look like a fool by overreacting. Kinda like your first response when you have a minor crash on your bicycle is to check whether anyone saw.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Really? No one here has heard of the bystander effect?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

quote:

The bystander effect, or bystander apathy, is a social psychological phenomenon that refers to cases in which individuals do not offer any means of help to a victim when other people are present. The probability of help is inversely related to the number of bystanders. In other words, the greater the number of bystanders, the less likely it is that any one of them will help. Several variables help to explain why the bystander effect occurs. These variables include: ambiguity, cohesiveness and diffusion of responsibility.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Cartoon posted:

Really? No one here has heard of the bystander effect?

I know what it is but thought someone else would post it.

JukeboxHerostratus
Nov 25, 2009

Not only is it a bystander effect, people just take time to process stuff. I think i saw it on one of those brain games shows that we live practically 3 seconds in the past. I also heard that soldiers can take up to 7 seconds to realize they are under sniper fire, but i don't have a readily available source so that could be bullshit. It takes a few moments for the brain to catch up. I can only imagine that it takes a few moments more to process what happened and kick on the response.

I remember riding with my mother down the street and she randomly freaked out. I looked up in time to see the zap of a power line, but didn't see anything else. She shoved the phone in my hand and told me to call 911. I was still on the phone talking to dispatch giving them my location, but i didn't know what it was for. Turns out a highschool kid skipped class to play fast & furious. He hit a woman checking her mail and cart-wheeled into a phone pole. Anyway, I was on the phone for a good 10-15 seconds before i realized a serious accident had occurred. No, she didn't make it.

It's not that people are sitting there waiting for someone else to move first, though I'm sure that happens once people notice that something serious has gone down. In those first 15-20 seconds, i think the brains were just processing what had happened.

It's easy for us, we're watching a video expecting some poo poo to go down.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nitrox posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Rotatable-Cov...316%5Bb%7Cdeals

So I bought $57 AUKEY camera and have a few issues to report.

The bad:
Horrific instructions that explain very little
You have to use the app to view and save video files, it's a very bad app
Sharing videos via app is impossible. I'm yet to pull the memory card to see if format is readable on PC, but that's the only option left.
There is light underneath and on the back of camera. It's either constantly ON or blinking. Blinking function is not explained in the manual, no changes in camera operation. What the gently caress
The "M" button does not capture still shots, which is what it supposed to do according to the manual.
Permanently attaches to the windshield via 3M sticky pad, no other mounting options exist.
Lens of camera is mounted on a silver-colored drum, it rotates independently from body. That is a very visible color and if you wanted to hide your camera, tough poo poo. Between this and the fuckign disco lights, that camera is drawing too much attention.

The good:
Very nice daytime image, acceptable night footage, license plates are readable ~15' away
No battery
Link to a phone app is very nice, wish it had more options
Will pull current date/time from phone when synced
Selectable quality and resolution on the fly
Lens can be adjusted vertically by at least 180 degrees for different mounting positions

Also, I'm very skeptical about the "G sensor", because there is nothing about it in the manual or on the box, or in camera options.

I'd like to report that camera has stopped working, 3 weeks out of Amazon's return policy. Seller did not respond to my email. Good times

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Yeesh. Mine's still working.

The blinking light means it's recording. When you hold down power, the light goes solid on, then everything shuts off.

I still haven't pulled the card to see if it's readable on PC either.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Please don't hit the wall...please don't hit the wall....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_O6u5FtUzU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Lime Tonics posted:

Gonna have some explaining to do to dad it sounds like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lime Tonics posted:

Shockingly, taking your very expensive car to the track may not be the best idea...