Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
The Last of us Remastered is tempting, and its a game I originally hoped to get when I first got my PS4 and I never played the original. But on the other hand I keep getting games cheap and aren't finishing them. I still have second son, diablo 3, and other games to go back too. Not to mention I never really played Uncharted 1-3 and GoW 3 that my ps4 came with. Though I'll probably end up still playing Arkham Knight, all the Arkham games are so great, even when not as good as the others.

Jolo posted:

The difficulty settings on Furi are pretty crummy. I got stuck on that third boss so I figured I'd turn down the difficulty to see more of the game. I was hoping that turning it down to easy would let me take a few extra hits or cause the boss to take fewer hits to get through each phase.

Well, instead it limits the third boss to just the first phase. You fight through the shields and then the fight ends there. Really underwhelming experience. In addition, if you want to retry the third boss on normal you have to restart the entire game and play up to that point again. Beating it on easy overwrites the old save on normal.

I played Furi some and found it very challenging. I am not particularly good at counters and tend to prefer to doge roll my way through any game that allows me too. I like that it throws you head first into the game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The game is good. I guess I didn't say that. It's good but it's like laughably easy on easy. I don't recommend turning it down to easy under any circumstances.

Few tips from noted bad game player, me:
You can use the left triggers for dashes and holding a dash lets you dash farther. Holding dash is mentioned in a separate tutorial from the one the game gives you at the start but it is very useful. Using the left triggers for dash also makes it easier to dash while holding square for a charge attack.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

Lakbay posted:

I bought Assault Android Cactus and while it is very smooth it's missing..."something"? I can't describe it but I'm in zone 3 and the game is well made but I'm not sure I'm having fun. I love twin stick shooters too but I can't help but thinking Geometry Wars 3, Nuclear Throne or even Helldivers is more entertaining.

Very minority opinion since goons rave over the game

It's enjoying at max firepower + accelerate power-up and wish that's the default speed rather than having to work for it.

I can understand where you're coming from. I think it's pretty awesome, but it is missing something. However it does a lot incredibly well, it's not that hard for me to look over it and get into the groove. I'm wondering...I started having more fun on "perfect mode" (I can't remember the name, but it's where you have to start over if you drop S+ rank). Have you tried that mode?

Also, that's why I'm eager to see them make another one of these. If they can refine this even more...oh my god.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i'd buy AAC if i wasn't already invested in alienation and its season pass and it wasn't the best twin stick i've ever played.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on Darius. I've been waiting for it to go down and while the price is still feels little high and it will probably still go down way further, it's at the point where I feel okay buying it for the amount of content it's supposed to have.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

strategery posted:

Buy Alien Rage.

It looks kind of bad. Is there some hidden greatness in there?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Shnag posted:

The Last of us Remastered is tempting, and its a game I originally hoped to get when I first got my PS4 and I never played the original. But on the other hand I keep getting games cheap and aren't finishing them. I still have second son, diablo 3, and other games to go back too. Not to mention I never really played Uncharted 1-3 and GoW 3 that my ps4 came with. Though I'll probably end up still playing Arkham Knight, all the Arkham games are so great, even when not as good as the others.

I played Furi some and found it very challenging. I am not particularly good at counters and tend to prefer to doge roll my way through any game that allows me too. I like that it throws you head first into the game though.

if you have any interest in tlou buy it, i don't think it's ever been this cheap and the game is still super loving good. it's better than all of those other games you listed in your back log.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

muscles like this? posted:

WTF is that Neverwinter game and why does it have two separate DLC that are $75 and $50? I looked at the description of the $75 one and it sure doesn't look like it has $75 worth of content in it.
There is some bullshit head start pack along with the others, if the free version isn't out yet wait for that and then inevitably delete it later

morallyobjected posted:

sounds like you need to get good
:smuggo::smug::agesilaus::mmmsmug:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Watrick posted:

I can understand where you're coming from. I think it's pretty awesome, but it is missing something. However it does a lot incredibly well, it's not that hard for me to look over it and get into the groove. I'm wondering...I started having more fun on "perfect mode" (I can't remember the name, but it's where you have to start over if you drop S+ rank). Have you tried that mode?

Also, that's why I'm eager to see them make another one of these. If they can refine this even more...oh my god.

I don't think I have that mode yet, I'm stuck on the third boss but I kinda lost motivation to keep playing.

Does Garden Warfare 2 still have a playerbase on the ps4? I like the aesthetic but I'd probably only want to play that Gnome Bomb mode

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
ey should have put fighting games on sale for evo weekend

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Does Garden Warfare 2 still have a playerbase on the ps4? I like the aesthetic but I'd probably only want to play that Gnome Bomb mode
Yeah people still play it. Some versus modes you might not always find full servers for, but the main ones and the coop mode are still populated.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lakbay posted:

i picked it up yesterday. took less than 10 seconds to find matches for team vanquish and suburbination (capture points) which is all i played since thats what i had quests for. i can check out gnome bomb in a little while if you want but i imagine its fine. also i was playing at like 3am eastern, not super prime time
if you get it add me. super_aggro_crag.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

rabidsquid posted:

if you have any interest in tlou buy it, i don't think it's ever been this cheap and the game is still super loving good. it's better than all of those other games you listed in your back log.

Yeah I decided to buy it. Considering it was one of the games that made me get a ps4 instead of the one (I played the 360, never had a ps3). Looking forward to trying it later, though I can't see the multiplayer being active, not that it matters as I forgot it had multiplayer anyways. It looks like the main game has some pretty intense moments in it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

amazon has hitman physical for 38 dollars on preorder right now and they will apply the prime discount to the order if you call customer support. got the game for 30 bucks

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Shnag posted:

Yeah I decided to buy it. Considering it was one of the games that made me get a ps4 instead of the one (I played the 360, never had a ps3). Looking forward to trying it later, though I can't see the multiplayer being active, not that it matters as I forgot it had multiplayer anyways. It looks like the main game has some pretty intense moments in it.

I'm pretty sure people are still playing Uncharted 2's multiplayer. I bet you won't have that much trouble getting games in TLOU, and it's some of the best multiplayer ever.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Last of Us Multiplayer is crazy active. I play every other day and I get full matches instantly. Even at bizarre hours like 3am EST. The sale will probably boost the population even more. (I only play Interrogation because I'm bad and I need infinite respawns and I'm not a fan of elimination game types but I assume the same is true for the other two modes)

I've also only ran into the same random person maybe once or twice in hours of play.

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jul 18, 2016

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Is Velocity2x any good? It seems neat and I generally enjoy 2D shooting games (more on foot a la Gunstar Heroes than in space, though I guess this has both), and I could also see it sucking if the level design doesn't stay strong or it's really short or something?

Also, is TLOU actually exceptional from a combat/gameplay standpoint or does it rely heavily on emotional investment in the characters/story? And if so, do I have control over this story (even in a vapid choices-don't-really-matter way a la the Mass Effect series) or is it more watching it play out once I get from point A to B?

I'm pretty on the fence about both!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Velocity 2x is really good and one of the few free indie PS+ games I ever bothered finishing. It's a reasonable length and the later stages get pretty complex.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wolfsheim posted:

Is Velocity2x any good? It seems neat and I generally enjoy 2D shooting games (more on foot a la Gunstar Heroes than in space, though I guess this has both), and I could also see it sucking if the level design doesn't stay strong or it's really short or something?

Also, is TLOU actually exceptional from a combat/gameplay standpoint or does it rely heavily on emotional investment in the characters/story? And if so, do I have control over this story (even in a vapid choices-don't-really-matter way a la the Mass Effect series) or is it more watching it play out once I get from point A to B?

I'm pretty on the fence about both!

Velocity is good. Its a little too much like simon says to be amazing though. You use the ability you need to use for each obstacle as fast as possible

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

I wouldn't say that TLOU is especially innovative, but the gameplay is very solid. It's a gritty shooter with stealth/horror elements. On the higher difficulties you have to be very careful with ammo and alerting enemies, and it's extremely tense – in a good way. It doesn't (usually) have any kind of alarm–forced resets, it's more that you're always outnumbered and outgunned, so getting through an encounter through combat is almost always a challenge.

You don't have any control over the story, but the writing is very strong. The actual beats of the plot aren't revolutionary, but the character work and interaction is fantastic, and it really hits you in the gut when it wants to.

I'm not as in love with it as a lot of people are, but I do think it's an exceptional game and absolutely worth recommending, especially for $8.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sakurazuka posted:

Velocity 2x is really good and one of the few free indie PS+ games I ever bothered finishing. It's a reasonable length and the later stages get pretty complex.

So, is it $4 good? Will I get at least a couple hours playtime per dollar?

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I wouldn't say that TLOU is especially innovative, but the gameplay is very solid. It's a gritty shooter with stealth/horror elements. On the higher difficulties you have to be very careful with ammo and alerting enemies, and it's extremely tense – in a good way. It doesn't (usually) have any kind of alarm–forced resets, it's more that you're always outnumbered and outgunned, so getting through an encounter through combat is almost always a challenge.

You don't have any control over the story, but the writing is very strong. The actual beats of the plot aren't revolutionary, but the character work and interaction is fantastic, and it really hits you in the gut when it wants to.

I'm not as in love with it as a lot of people are, but I do think it's an exceptional game and absolutely worth recommending, especially for $8.

Hmm, survival horror with fixed cutscenes and a plot heavy on the drama sounds like my anti-game. The price seems fantastic, but I was a little wary because of how much HDD space it would take up anyway :shrug:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The game isn't really survival horror, it just has some horror elements. Mostly that it builds tension. You're also light on supplies altho that varies hugely based on the difficulty you choose to play, and regardless of that fact if you play aggressively you can brick and bottle the poo poo out of everyone.

Also the game does a really good job of making you care about the main characters, which ramps up the tension a bit more.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It comes on strong too, right in the first 10 minutes, you're introduced to your daughter, who, granted, I thought was ellie at first, so I was lulled into a false sense of security about her survival at least into the main story, and then you watch her die

Holy poo poo was that a gut punch right out of the gate :stonk:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Wolfsheim posted:

Hmm, survival horror with fixed cutscenes and a plot heavy on the drama sounds like my anti-game. The price seems fantastic, but I was a little wary because of how much HDD space it would take up anyway :shrug:

You should skip it then (I wouldn't really call it survival horror but still) I'm on the same boat as you and found TLoU to be really mediocre. I understand that lots of people like it but it didn't do much for me.

To be fair though, even though I didn't like it all that much it was probably worth 8 bucks to play through once :shrug:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It comes on strong too, right in the first 10 minutes, you're introduced to your daughter, who, granted, I thought was ellie at first, so I was lulled into a false sense of security about her survival at least into the main story, and then you watch her die

Holy poo poo was that a gut punch right out of the gate :stonk:

Seconding this. Without doubt it has one of the best intros in terms of story and character building I've ever played.

I had the same experience you described in the spoiler and it was a great what the gently caress just happened moment.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Ape Agitator posted:

It looks kind of bad. Is there some hidden greatness in there?

Late to respond, but yes. It is far better than you would think it would be.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Im always on the lookout for a good dynamic theme and this looks like one of the best so far.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/07/17/uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-gets-new-ps4-dynamic-theme-in-north-america-and-its-awesome/

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
That's an okay theme but I can't help thinking it could be improved. Maybe add in some smooth jazz. An open flame. VEGETABLES.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I downloaded Kill Strain which seems like it might be okay, but the two games I've had where my team was winning (and so I'd have gotten a reward) it crashed with about 3 minutes to go. Wondering whether I'm wasting my time to keep playing but it does seem like a pay-to-win kinda game.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Drop for July 19th

10 Second Ninja (crossbuy)
Cast of the seven godsends
I am Setsuna
Knot
Lifeless Planet Premier Edition
Moon Hunters
Neverwinter
Ninja Pizza Girl (available wednesday)
Obliteracers
Orc Slayer
Spy Chameleon (crossbuy)
Sword Coast Legends

clear winner in the bunch imo but with a steep price tag. gonna grab it just because july is a nice slow month to play a jrpg in.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Setsuna at least has the honour of being the first Unity game that doesn't run like utter poo poo in PS4

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oh yeah don't forget to grab your free King of Fighters XIV demo tomorrow either.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I want I am Setsuna but am so backlogged on games right now I can wait for a sale. I can't wait to play it though.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I think today's also the day of the Mai from KoF DLC for Dead or Alive 5.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

...! posted:

I think today's also the day of the Mai from KoF DLC for Dead or Alive 5.

Apparently there's Attack on Titan costumes and a stage, too, though I think the stage is via patch.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ExCruceLeo posted:

Im always on the lookout for a good dynamic theme and this looks like one of the best so far.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2016/07/17/uncharted-4-a-thiefs-end-gets-new-ps4-dynamic-theme-in-north-america-and-its-awesome/

Corn Love Forever

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I love the Skullgirls PS4 theme. It's got the jazzy music the game is known for. Getting it for free helped, though.

And speaking of free, that KOF2000 theme in the NA store makes me really want to buy the game. The sound effects and the song are nostalgic as all hell.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Saoshyant posted:

I love the Skullgirls PS4 theme. It's got the jazzy music the game is known for. Getting it for free helped, though.

And speaking of free, that KOF2000 theme in the NA store makes me really want to buy the game. The sound effects and the song are nostalgic as all hell.

Ooh sweet. Gonna grab that from the NA store. I stil realy like the ff7 theme that came with the ff7 game. Music is good

MUSCULAR BEAVER
Dec 26, 2014

HENDO! HENDO!
Firewatch theme is my favourite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Neverwinter? There's a new Neverwinter game?

• Locked thread