Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm constantly getting a "check your connection and try again" pop up message but have no idea what's causing it. Is there a suggested app for checking what's polling the network connection?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

highme posted:

I'm constantly getting a "check your connection and try again" pop up message but have no idea what's causing it. Is there a suggested app for checking what's polling the network connection?

I got this earlier on my Galaxy S7 when checking for a device firmware update, seems Samsung's servers were temperamental for a while. Don't know if that's relevant to you at all.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
play store is using over 1gb of data a day, i've already disabled updates and have it restricted to wi-fi only. i'm already almost at my data cap only a couple days into my plan help.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Your phone sounds broken.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
i've already factory reset. it seems to work fine now without the play store; the battery drain problem i had earlier was some over the air bullshit htc pushed that did the same to a bunch of other peoples' phones on xda.

cyanogenmod would probably solve all my problems, but this phone is a pain in the rear end to root and i'm not about to mail my phone to a stranger.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just to be absolutely clear, it's the Play Store doing it and not Google Play Services?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I was planning on getting the upcoming Nexus but I just dropped my phone and killed it. Is there some super cheap option to tide me over till the new Nexus phones come out or should I just a 5X?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Trent Razor1911 posted:

I was planning on getting the upcoming Nexus but I just dropped my phone and killed it. Is there some super cheap option to tide me over till the new Nexus phones come out or should I just a 5X?

If all you need is a super cheap phone to tide you over for the next 4 months, the Moto G4 will do just fine.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The price difference between the Moto G4 and the Nexus 5x is pretty small where I live, I was thinking 2nd gen Moto E maybe?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Trent Razor1911 posted:

When that happened to me I bought a Nexus 5 on Amazon for $170.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Trent Razor1911 posted:

The price difference between the Moto G4 and the Nexus 5x is pretty small where I live, I was thinking 2nd gen Moto E maybe?

If your only goal is a reasonably snappy phone, yeah, the 2nd gen E should tide you over until the new Nexuses. It doesn't scream but it's plenty responsive for your basic smartphone needs. Stuck on Lollipop in most countries if that makes a difference to you.

If you depend on the camera at all, the front camera is loving useless and the back camera is both pretty bad and in a stupid location.

But hey, it's $50 at Fry's Electronics.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 17, 2016

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thanks for the feedback guys. I decided to skip this years new Nexus phones and get a 5X till next years Nexus phones.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Quick dumb question:

Ever since the Google keyboard's recent update it has started autocorrecting when I try to type Italian words in Duolingo and this is a huge pain in the rear end

Is there a way to turn off autocorrect specifically for Duolingo or what?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

loquacius posted:

Quick dumb question:

Ever since the Google keyboard's recent update it has started autocorrecting when I try to type Italian words in Duolingo and this is a huge pain in the rear end

Is there a way to turn off autocorrect specifically for Duolingo or what?

You can set multiple languages in the options. So, if you set English and Italian, it will autocorrect words of both languages at the same time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, but here goes:

Today through an unfortunate series of events involving an improperly attached phone case and a panicked Home button press, I inadvertently hard reset my Galaxy S7 at work. It took me to the verify screen where it wanted me to insert my Google account info and password. I couldn't remember my password (after a security scare I changed it to a random set of letters and numbers and only looked it up when I needed it). So then on the phone I changed my password (I know this is where I went wrong now, won't gently caress it up again), and it still didn't let me get in, so the phone showed a URL where I could recover my account.

I jump on a pc at work to go through the account recovery, I get it sorted out, I go back to my phone to log in and no dice. It just keeps looping back to the verification screen. I do an internet search on the work pc and find out that apparently this is no bug, but a feature and I won't be able to access my phone for the 72 hours because of Google's security(?).

So my questions are: do I have any recourse or is my phone a hockey puck until Thursday afternoon? When the password finally "clicks over" or whatever, is it trivial to get back into my phone? Will everything (contacts, pictures, texts) still be there or no? Are there any options (factory reset, contacting my carrier, anything at all that makes my phone work sooner) or do I need to go to Walmart tomorrow morning and buy a burner to get me through the next two days in case I end up in a ditch driving home or something.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Soul Glo posted:

Today through an unfortunate series of events involving an improperly attached phone case and a panicked Home button press, I inadvertently hard reset my Galaxy S7 at work. It took me to the verify screen where it wanted me to insert my Google account info and password. I couldn't remember my password (after a security scare I changed it to a random set of letters and numbers and only looked it up when I needed it). So then on the phone I changed my password (I know this is where I went wrong now, won't gently caress it up again), and it still didn't let me get in, so the phone showed a URL where I could recover my account.

I jump on a pc at work to go through the account recovery, I get it sorted out, I go back to my phone to log in and no dice. It just keeps looping back to the verification screen. I do an internet search on the work pc and find out that apparently this is no bug, but a feature and I won't be able to access my phone for the 72 hours because of Google's security(?).

So my questions are: do I have any recourse or is my phone a hockey puck until Thursday afternoon? When the password finally "clicks over" or whatever, is it trivial to get back into my phone? Will everything (contacts, pictures, texts) still be there or no? Are there any options (factory reset, contacting my carrier, anything at all that makes my phone work sooner) or do I need to go to Walmart tomorrow morning and buy a burner to get me through the next two days in case I end up in a ditch driving home or something.

I can't say I've ever hosed up that bad, I don't even know where to point you other than maybe some type of live support with Google on your PC if that's even possible. It almost seems like maybe there's some kind of Samsung bullshit trying to be helpful but just Amelia Bedelia-ing it into the shitter because it continually puts in the wrong drat password.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

If you synced your stuff to Google it should all be there once your account is unlocked of course be aware that Samsungs helpfully turn all that off by default so unless you went out of your way to turn it on then maybe it won't be. I would expect your SMSs to be gone unless you implemented your own backup solution (like SMS Backup+, something everyone should use in my opinion) but you can check your contacts here. If that page is empty then so are your contacts.

As far as I know there's nothing you can do to speed up this process but maybe you could take the time to reevaluate your life and align your chakra.

FAUXTON posted:

I can't say I've ever hosed up that bad, I don't even know where to point you other than maybe some type of live support with Google on your PC if that's even possible. It almost seems like maybe there's some kind of Samsung bullshit trying to be helpful but just Amelia Bedelia-ing it into the shitter because it continually puts in the wrong drat password.

Nope, this is standard behavior even on a Nexus. The idea is that if your phone is compromised you'll have 72 hours to straighten it out before your phone's thief can completely take over your Google account. This doesn't account for someone who is apparently worse than my grandmother at managing passwords but is a reasonable security measure for the rest of us.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Final preview beta of Nougat is out. Quick settings icons are back to using the non-crappy tap-to-toggle method instead of whatever Google was going for last time. (Tap to sort of open, longpress to REALLY open?)

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
Apparently motorola is going to have a go at the whole modular phone thing: http://www.wired.com/2016/07/motorolas-crazy-plan-reinvent-phone-breaking-pieces/

I don't get it

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Zom Aur posted:

Apparently motorola is going to have a go at the whole modular phone thing: http://www.wired.com/2016/07/motorolas-crazy-plan-reinvent-phone-breaking-pieces/

I don't get it

I like the idea of it but every manufacturer needs to be on-board (universal agreed upon standards) otherwise this is mostly crap.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is there any way of seeing some sort of breakdown of what's taking up all your Google Photos space? I swear all mine has vanished somewhat abruptly, from lots of gigabytes down to a few hundred mb. I don't take *that* many photos, I've shot quite a few videos recently so I thought it may be that, but none of them are really all that big. I'm having a look at my account and I can't see any obvious reason why I should have no space yet. iS there any way of listing them by size, or something like that?

Also, I know there's an option to compress everything to reclaim space, and convert it to the reduced quality versions which don't count towards you quota - is there anyway of doing that with photos only, and retaining original resolution on the videos?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hmmm... if I go to this view: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/search?q=type:video

I see various videos, quite a lot of them large, but all of them show something like this:

quote:

Size
1,012 MB (1,061,597,155 bytes)
Storage used
0 bytes

Presumably although that one is 1 gig, it should be counted towards the quote because it was uploaded in High Quality, not Original. They're all like this, but could easily account for where all my space went if they were being counted. I wonder if there's some sort of bug with calculating used quota?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I like the idea of it but every manufacturer needs to be on-board (universal agreed upon standards) otherwise this is mostly crap.

This will never happen.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/07/18/android-n-dp5-easter-egg-involves-catching-cats/

I have not caught a catte yet

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

notwithoutmyanus posted:

If it's only Motorola, then it's even better. They can constantly make money selling proprietary dongles.

Works for Apple.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Caught a catte :)

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Are you guys telling me I won't be able to catch catte for two more years since I don't own a Nexus phone? What the gently caress is this bullshit? :negative:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm between graduation and starting a new job, so I cleared my work location in Maps. However, I still get Now cards for my "work" location. I tried clearing the address in Now, but it won't let me put in nothing, as far as I can tell. What can I do?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm pretty sure after a week or so it will automatically go away when it sees you are no longer going there every day. How long had it been?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
While I was unemployed for 2 months, it never stopped telling me about time to "work", even after clearing it. What finally got it to change was telling it about the new "work" location. So put in the location of your favorite bar or something.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

What can I do?

Hahaha!

I've found telling Google Now you're not interested in something is a fool's errand.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

So i drunkenly set a text password on my m9 last night, and cant remember it today, any way to beat this?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

So i drunkenly set a text password on my m9 last night, and cant remember it today, any way to beat this?

As someone that values the security of their phone, I sure hope not.

For the Google now "work" thing: check to see if it's still saved as your "work" in Maps. I had to change it in both places when we moved offices.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

For the Google now "work" thing: check to see if it's still saved as your "work" in Maps. I had to change it in both places when we moved offices.
When my dad retired I was trying to fix this for him and one of the two places we absolutely could not unset it. You could change it but not remove it entirely.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Old Man Pants posted:

You can wipe the phone.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Old Man Pants posted:

Get drunk again.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

uPen posted:

You can wipe the phone.

Just did.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Get drunk again.

Am doing this now

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Quick question - I've got an old Android tablet (Nexus 7) that I want to use as an "announcement board" for our household (we have a few roommates) that automatically scrolls through a few pre-set messages. What app is best for that? I'm hoping there's one that just lets me type in messages instead of creating images for a slideshow each time.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Quick question - I've got an old Android tablet (Nexus 7) that I want to use as an "announcement board" for our household (we have a few roommates) that automatically scrolls through a few pre-set messages. What app is best for that? I'm hoping there's one that just lets me type in messages instead of creating images for a slideshow each time.

One of those smart mirror apps sounds like it would be up your alley.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.morristaedt.mirror

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

nimper posted:

One of those smart mirror apps sounds like it would be up your alley.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.morristaedt.mirror

Thanks - although the one you linked seems to be rather limited (can't put in my own messages) so I'm still looking...

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jul 19, 2016