Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Managed to get the other 3 fork legs open just fine with some angle iron, some rubber tube, and a vise. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Round three of trying to clean the 35 year old wax from my snap-on drawer slides. So far I've tried:

WD-40
Chlorinated Brake Cleaner
Boiling water

The boilin water worked best, but there is still a shitton of wax on these things. I think I need a stronger solvent.

Any suggestions? Or should I just take them to a machine shop and have them hot tanked?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Round three of trying to clean the 35 year old wax from my snap-on drawer slides. So far I've tried:

WD-40
Chlorinated Brake Cleaner
Boiling water

The boilin water worked best, but there is still a shitton of wax on these things. I think I need a stronger solvent.

Any suggestions? Or should I just take them to a machine shop and have them hot tanked?
Why no heat-gun-on-low/hair drier and a roll of paper towels?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Heat gun and an air nozzle, aka baby's first plasma torch.

e: Wax is an oil, try a heatgun and a liberal coating of Dawn soap.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Would Simple Green be an option?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Never. That stuff cleans even worse than "eco-safe" paint stripper. gently caress Simple Green. :colbert:

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Splizwarf posted:

Never. That stuff cleans even worse than "eco-safe" paint stripper. gently caress Simple Green. :colbert:

Agreed. And it smells bad.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Oven cleaner will strip anything down to bare metal.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Toluene/lacquer thinner and hexane/gasoline should all clean up most wax effectively but you will probably find heat and wiping much more pleasant to actually use and less likely to cause significant collateral damage.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Simple green is not compatible with aluminum, which is what the slides are made from.

I thought it oved, I'm just going to run them down to a machine shop.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

revmoo posted:

Simple green is not compatible with aluminum

This is BS. Simple green is as safe for aluminum as almost every other cleaner you would use. It's slightly alkaline, so long term exposure will accelerate corrosion.

Use it to clean and then wash it off and it's fine. Don't let it soak in simple green for weeks like idiots online.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sick of Simple Green not cutting the mustard? Wish that the smell would just get the gently caress out? Try Zep All-Purpose Cleaner and Degreaser!

1 32oz bottle is just $1.98 on homedepot.com and is available in store!

Green just not your color? Need a bit more oomph? Take the Zep Industrial Degreaser for a spin! You'll be glad you did.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I use this stuff from HD. I haven't tried every degreaser but I've tried a lot of them and this stuff is hot poo poo for the price.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-32-oz-Citrus-Degreaser-215689945381/203420801

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

scuz posted:

Green just not your color? Need a bit more oomph? Take the Zep Industrial Degreaser for a spin! You'll be glad you did.

How does this treat paint? I usually buy gallons of Castrol Super Clean and put them in a garden sprayer for degreasing, wheel cleaning (it murders brake pad dust but is gentle on paint) and as a general purpose cleaner, but the Zep is about $.50/gallon cheaper at HD and might work better.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

oxbrain posted:

This is BS. Simple green is as safe for aluminum as almost every other cleaner you would use. It's slightly alkaline, so long term exposure will accelerate corrosion.

Use it to clean and then wash it off and it's fine. Don't let it soak in simple green for weeks like idiots online.

Simple Green was pretty drat good at stripping off anodizing, but it took overnight.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

oxbrain posted:

Yep. I've used Simple Green for over 20 years, on an almost daily basis, and have never had anything but good things to say about it. Very few things it doesn't work on, no damage to even sensitive finishes. Yeah, keep bare aluminum soaking in it and it'll corrode a bit, but don't be dumb and use it the way it's supposed to be used.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

How does this treat paint? I usually buy gallons of Castrol Super Clean and put them in a garden sprayer for degreasing, wheel cleaning (it murders brake pad dust but is gentle on paint) and as a general purpose cleaner, but the Zep is about $.50/gallon cheaper at HD and might work better.
Not sure! I've been using it as a degreaser for my bike chains and tools when they get too filthy. Any of the stuff that winds up on paint incidentally gets wiped off pronto.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Road warrior or bust imo.

http://shop.superiorproducts.com/road-warrior/

They also have straight up acid based aluminum cleaners.

Edit: http://m.oreillyauto.com/h5/r/www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/SCP0/J701/N0454.oap?ck=Search_N0454_-1_-1&pt=N0454&ppt=C0209

This stuff. Supposedly napa carries their stuff too.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jul 20, 2016

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

oxbrain posted:

I dunno about that, I have a special blue color version of Simple Green that's made for airplanes and is safe on aluminum. It would be odd for them to have this version if the green one didn't hurt aluminum.

edit: This stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green-13412-Aircraft-Precision/dp/B00627REY0

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm about to do my first suspension install on my ms3. I'm thinking that this job will finally justify an impact wrench. I'm on a budget and I don't have a ton of storage space, so an electric is appealing. Are they good enough to do this type of job?

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

Google Butt posted:

I'm about to do my first suspension install on my ms3. I'm thinking that this job will finally justify an impact wrench. I'm on a budget and I don't have a ton of storage space, so an electric is appealing. Are they good enough to do this type of job?

MORE than good. The modern electric impacts are great- the batteries last a long time, and they are very strong. They are much quieter than an air impact. The best part is not being tied to an air hose. (plus the whole not having to buy and wire in a air compressor thing)

Electric disadvantage is the raw speed - 1800RPM vs 10,000 RPM for an air impact. This is only going to come into play if you do tire rotations for a living and shaving those seconds off matters because flat rate pay.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
While we're on this subject, what would be a good battery powered impact available on the European side of the pond? I'm thinking ½", strong enough to bust off wheel bolts etc.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

wormil posted:

I use this stuff from HD. I haven't tried every degreaser but I've tried a lot of them and this stuff is hot poo poo for the price.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-32-oz-Citrus-Degreaser-215689945381/203420801

I'm guessing that this is basically the same stuff as the much more expensive bicycle focused chain degreasers?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

bolind posted:

While we're on this subject, what would be a good battery powered impact available on the European side of the pond? I'm thinking ½", strong enough to bust off wheel bolts etc.

There are various but similar Clarke 24v battery impacts available for around £100-140, what's your equivalent of Machine Mart?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

0toShifty posted:

MORE than good. The modern electric impacts are great- the batteries last a long time, and they are very strong. They are much quieter than an air impact. The best part is not being tied to an air hose. (plus the whole not having to buy and wire in a air compressor thing)

Electric disadvantage is the raw speed - 1800RPM vs 10,000 RPM for an air impact. This is only going to come into play if you do tire rotations for a living and shaving those seconds off matters because flat rate pay.

Cool. What's the cheapest one, with battery and charger that is worth buying?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

fknlo posted:

I'm guessing that this is basically the same stuff as the much more expensive bicycle focused chain degreasers?

Is this a serious thing? I've always just used brake cleaner on my kart chain, I can't see there being any specific cleaning requirements to chains.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

Is this a serious thing? I've always just used brake cleaner on my kart chain, I can't see there being any specific cleaning requirements to chains.

As long as you're not using brake cleaner on an O-ring chain or other chains with rubber seals. Brake cleaner isn't nice to most seals under long term exposure.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

1500quidporsche posted:

Is this a serious thing?

It sure is!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

0toShifty posted:

Having used a M12 Fuel 3/8 impact gun to swap a tire in hardly any more time than it would've taken with my JnnyThndrs IR airgun, electric is so very much the way to go. That M12 impact is teeny and so much lighter. I'm sure something like a Honda crank bolt, hub nut, or pitman arm nut will be too much for it, but I expect that it will kick the airgun's rear end anywhere else because it's just so much easier on your hands and arms.

Senior Funkenstien posted:

Ace hardware has a rolling 6 drawer Craftsman tool chest for sale for 100 bucks: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=35692506

If it's like the Craftsman chest my mom gave me as a gift probably eight years ago... pass. You can do better on HF, or finding a good used chest on CL.

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 20, 2016

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Should I trust the OEM spring compressor rental from Autozone or just buy my own set?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'd invest in one if you plan on doing it more than once. Having said that, there isn't really too much that is going to fail on one, its a fairly simple device.

Wow, I'm even more baffled by the fact that it tells you to rinse with water afterwards :psyduck:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

fknlo posted:

No idea. It's the generic version of Zep citrus degreaser. Awesome stuff but will remove paint.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Got my snapon slides back from the machine shop:

There is no way I could have gotten them this clean with off-the-shelf solvents.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Very nice of them to only clean one!

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Why does no place around me sell decent drill bits. I'm drilling out a pair of 7/16" x 2" bolts on a Taurus (gently caress this rear shock nonsense) and the only bits big enough (27/64") that I could find in town were DeWalt and Milwaukee. They both suck, but my 21/64 bits from McMaster-Carr are cutting like butter. I just get to use the crappy DeWalts to do the final pass, I guess.

My lesson, apparently, is just to order a full set of HSS bits from McMaster. Should have measured these last week and ordered the bits I needed then.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

revmoo posted:

Got my snapon slides back from the machine shop:

There is no way I could have gotten them this clean with off-the-shelf solvents.

Looks like they missed a couple spots. :colbert:

For that kind of work, I'd go with a rotation of WD-40, non-pumice hand-cleaner, Dremel brush. Maybe hit with some soda blasting once it loosened up.

Or dunk them in a pan of acetone for a bit to break that grease/wax up some

This stuff is pretty magical for oil/grease build up

Brand doesn't matter, and you can find it at the dollar store often.

Tamir Lenk fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 21, 2016

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I miss the days when we had an open heated bath of trichloroethylene in the corner of the workshop.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Soak in kerosene/diesel gets most gunky poo poo off metals in my experience. Doesn't hurt aluminum.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
If it's heavy gunky poo poo I normally start with a bath in diesel or gasoline, then use acetone to remove any remaining crap and/or if I'm going to paint or RTV any surfaces on the part, since gasoline leaves behind some oily residues that will gently caress the hell out of RTV or paint trying to cure.

e: this transmission case half had like a quarter inch of nasty lovely oil/dirt/grease buildup on it before I gave it a bath in gasoline.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0OWfdfPYBI

kastein fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jul 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264210
NORSEMAN drill group buy, best bits I've ever used. Spendy, but well worth it imho.