Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Crochet hooks can also be pretty useful for fixing a stitch in an earlier row, as long as you make sure you work it in the right direction for knit/purl. Like, if everything's knit, then make sure you're pulling each loop back-to-front with your hook on the way back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I tried fixing a mistake and ended up making everything so much worse I had to completely undo about 6 rows to get it all back together right.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Oh my God, I'm current on this thread! I read the whole thing!

I haven't had a job since last Sept because my husband is a very generous person. So I've been knitting and dyeing yarn instead, and I think I have learned more in the last year than in the previous ~9 years (been knitting since high school and 10 year reunion is this fall) put together. I learned to knit English but have since picked up continental and haven't really looked back.

I know this is not the Show Us Your Knits thread but w/e, (lol I can't read) I'm currently working on e: this:

I'm pretty happy with it so far. I dyed all of the yarn for it and did it in 2 lots to see what would happen. I'm thinking of overdyeing the whole thing maybe a little bit more gray when I'm through knitting it, just to even out the striping. It's hard to tell in the pictures but one of those dye lots turned out quite a bit warmer than the other and that's my only issue with the difference.

Thanks to the steeking tutorial one of you posted a few pages back, I got the nerve to say gently caress it regarding the bullshit of working stockinette flat and decided to steek it. I saw some comments about people not recommending this pattern as a first-time cardigan/sweater knit and so far I can't imagine why. It's been dead easy, and while I'm not looking forward to picking up the ribbed border, you pick up 3 sts for every 4 so I can't see what would be hard about it.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jun 13, 2016

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015
Lurker de-lurking to show some of my old knits...

I mainly knit sweaters in the Istex catalogues, in unspun yarn/Plötulopi (im unsure of the term in american)
I was a poor student when i started, so i had to take leftovers and make what i could of it.

I cant actually read Icelandic, but the woman who taught me only had catalogues in her native language, so it is very sink-or-swim!

I got better tho.

And started making my own varieties of the patterns, didnt hurt that i got a little money to splurge on yarn (and a phone with a better camera!).

(this was a sweaterdress for a friend, she loved her steel-and-blood flowers, she specifically wanted a large open neck, with a sewn-down collar, to wear something under the dress that could peek)

If anyone wants to gush and/or complain about knitting in unspun or trying on patterns that are literally unreadable to you, im in!

DrunkenDolphin fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jun 15, 2016

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Beautiful sweaters!

The yarn's just called lopi yarn in American. I've got some of it stored away, but haven't bothered to do anything with it yet. Someday, though.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

I love the Icelandic sweaters!

DrunkenDolphin
Feb 13, 2015

MarsDragon posted:

The yarn's just called lopi yarn in American. I've got some of it stored away, but haven't bothered to do anything with it yet. Someday, though.

In Denmark, Its only the term Plötu(lopi)=>pladegarn, that means its unspun, Lopi/Lettlopi/Bulkylopi/etc. is sort of a catch-all for the yarn from Alafoss, in iceland, in general.

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Today was the first yarn festival held in my city, and I've been planning to go ever since it was announced. Thanks to social anxiety and blowing all of my money I only lasted half an hour, but I managed to snag all of these pretties first.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.
So a million years ago I made this lil beauty, I probably posted it at the time.

Well this is him today.

I just regained custody of him after a rather distressing series of events and I would like to see if I can make him somewhat whole again. Obviously he won't be back to 100%, but I would appreciate any tips on repair. Actual chunks were cut out, not just slits made. I am going to pick up some matching yarn and knit some patches then see about grafting him back together a bit. No real clue what I'm doing, but honestly it's pretty cathartic in any case. Symbolic AF.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I don't think you should make separate patches unless your whole goal is to make it look patched. It's a pain, but I think it'd be better to pick up stitches around the edges and reknit in place. Are you going to empty the stuffing out to work on it? I think it'll need new stuffing anyway if it was dog-chewed.

These are amazing! Especially love that last one.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Finally finished a nice pair of thermal socks, I had meant to give them to somebody for christmas but that shows you how fast I work.

I can't get the hang of fair isle colorwork. I get the concept but my work always gets puckered really bad. Can't get the tension even.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't think you should make separate patches unless your whole goal is to make it look patched. It's a pain, but I think it'd be better to pick up stitches around the edges and reknit in place. Are you going to empty the stuffing out to work on it? I think it'll need new stuffing anyway if it was dog-chewed.

It wasn't dog-chewed, pieces were cut out. Working it unstuffed is a better idea, I should be able to reuse the stuffing though. Any resources/tips on picking up stitches in this case without unraveling much farther?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Asstro Van posted:

It wasn't dog-chewed, pieces were cut out. Working it unstuffed is a better idea, I should be able to reuse the stuffing though. Any resources/tips on picking up stitches in this case without unraveling much farther?
It's a pain because people call it different things, from knit darning to Swiss darning to patching in place. I don't mean regular darning, which results in a woven patch, and it's not technically Swiss darning. The method I mean is #4 here. It'll let you reknit it just like the original, including the ribbing and black bobbles. You'll have to take out a bit more to make the holes square, but it's not much considering how big the holes already are. (Although if this weren't such a meaningful thing for you, I would just recommend making a new one . . .)

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

It's a pain because people call it different things, from knit darning to Swiss darning to patching in place
(Although if this weren't such a meaningful thing for you, I would just recommend making a new one . . .)

Thank you!!! That is incredibly helpful!

I really appreciate the link. It means way more than just fixing a damaged toy, I am not going to drama dump on the internet but being able to repair this guy really means the world to me right now. :unsmith:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Asstro Van posted:

Thank you!!! That is incredibly helpful!

I really appreciate the link. It means way more than just fixing a damaged toy, I am not going to drama dump on the internet but being able to repair this guy really means the world to me right now. :unsmith:

Ugh, I'm sorry drama came to visit and hosed with your stuff. That really blows. I'm looking forward to seeing the adorably patched dalek buddy!

HeatherChandler
Jun 21, 2007

Is this turnout weak or what? I had at least 70 more people at my funeral.

DrunkenDolphin posted:

Lurker de-lurking to show some of my old knits...

I mainly knit sweaters in the Istex catalogues, in unspun yarn/Plötulopi (im unsure of the term in american)
I was a poor student when i started, so i had to take leftovers and make what i could of it.

I cant actually read Icelandic, but the woman who taught me only had catalogues in her native language, so it is very sink-or-swim!

I got better tho.

And started making my own varieties of the patterns, didnt hurt that i got a little money to splurge on yarn (and a phone with a better camera!).

(this was a sweaterdress for a friend, she loved her steel-and-blood flowers, she specifically wanted a large open neck, with a sewn-down collar, to wear something under the dress that could peek)

If anyone wants to gush and/or complain about knitting in unspun or trying on patterns that are literally unreadable to you, im in!

Beautiful work! I love the grays so much, is so soft and pleasing looking.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Pile of Kittens posted:

Ugh, I'm sorry drama came to visit and hosed with your stuff. That really blows. I'm looking forward to seeing the adorably patched dalek buddy!

REGENERATE

Thanks again Anne Whateley! I'm super jazzed about how it's turning out so far!

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
:neckbeard: I'm glad! Having thing ruined by drama sucks. I hope repair goes well for you!

I kind of got project-itis, but I finished a few things. How hard are cables? I got a couple of free cable needles with a magazine I'd gotten abroad (wish we could get them more easily in the US).

Aerofallosov fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 27, 2016

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
Cables are easier than you'd expect. Do a practice swatch with a cable or two, you'll probably get the hang of it pretty quickly! I'm sure there's a few Youtube video tutorials to help with it too.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
What's a good beginner resource/video? Nobody in my family knits. I'm trying to follow this video, and learning the cast-on was easy, but when it gets to the actual knitting I'm lost.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Asstro Van posted:

REGENERATE

Thanks again Anne Whateley! I'm super jazzed about how it's turning out so far!
I'm so glad it's going well! Btw, if the upper left in that photo has more of the original remaining, you don't have to cover it by continuing the rectangle -- you can secure the redo on the left where the original picks up, and continue with a narrower rectangle only on the right. Does that make sense?

Aerofallosov posted:

:neckbeard: I'm glad! Having thing ruined by drama sucks. I hope repair goes well for you!

I kind of got project-itis, but I finished a few things. How hard are cables? I got a couple of free cable needles with a magazine I'd gotten abroad (wish we could get them more easily in the US).
Cables are totally not hard, you just need to do a few and get the hang of it. Don't be intimidated!

Which do you wish were easier to find, magazines or cable needles? I see cable needles about everywhere there are row counters, even like Michaels or JoAnn. You can also use a variety of other stuff, like an unbent paper clip, and actually once you have the hang of cables, it's easy and much faster to do 95% of them without a cable needle.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Cables are totally not hard, you just need to do a few and get the hang of it. Don't be intimidated!

Which do you wish were easier to find, magazines or cable needles? I see cable needles about everywhere there are row counters, even like Michaels or JoAnn. You can also use a variety of other stuff, like an unbent paper clip, and actually once you have the hang of cables, it's easy and much faster to do 95% of them without a cable needle.

Oh, the magazines I subscribed to in the UK. I may just suck it up and buy a subscription. Also, I have a free pair I'd gotten as a goodie. Any good books on cable knitting? Otherwise, I may just stick to ravelry and knittinghelp type sites (Lion yarn actually has weirdly good tutorials...).

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

jerkstoresup posted:

What's a good beginner resource/video? Nobody in my family knits. I'm trying to follow this video, and learning the cast-on was easy, but when it gets to the actual knitting I'm lost.

That's the video I started on. The biggest problem I had learning was trying to tension the yarn in my right hand, you might try continental style and see if that works better. I find throwing to be tedious and fiddly, left handed was so much easier. Here's a good video on that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eI4GQfM-r4

Trojan.exe
Feb 22, 2011

I never said I was a role model

jerkstoresup posted:

IMHO PurlSoho is one of the best resources for learning how to knit. They're a shop based in NYC, but they have some really amazing tutorials and videos that should help beginners. They've got quite a number videos for a ton of different stitches and patterns too. I like them a lot because the tutorials are easy to understand and the videos themselves are of a better quality so it's really easy to see exactly what they're doing.

The two most basic stitches you'll need to learn from the start are the knit and purl stitches.

The Knit Stitch

The Purl Stitch

Once you practice those a bit, then you can pick a pattern and try to learn what to do!

Also, sometimes the kind of needles and yarn can affect how easy it is to learn something, and this is really personal preference. When I want to practice something new, I pick a sleeker and thicker yarn made of acrylic since it's easier to see what's going on. Acrylic yarn is super cheap so if I mess up or ruin it, it's not a big deal. Wool and alpaca (among others) can felt together easily which can be frustrating for super beginners. I personally found it easier to use circular needles, my favourite are the metal ChiaGoo red lace steel needles, but some heavily prefer straight needles. There's also needles made of steel, bamboo, plastic, aluminum, the options are limited. Needles really made a big difference for me when learning.

Also if you're not familiar with Ravelry, there are tons of free patterns on there to explore.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Trojan.exe posted:

IMHO PurlSoho is one of the best resources for learning how to knit. They're a shop based in NYC, but they have some really amazing tutorials and videos that should help beginners. They've got quite a number videos for a ton of different stitches and patterns too. I like them a lot because the tutorials are easy to understand and the videos themselves are of a better quality so it's really easy to see exactly what they're doing.

The two most basic stitches you'll need to learn from the start are the knit and purl stitches.

The Knit Stitch

The Purl Stitch

Once you practice those a bit, then you can pick a pattern and try to learn what to do!

Also, sometimes the kind of needles and yarn can affect how easy it is to learn something, and this is really personal preference. When I want to practice something new, I pick a sleeker and thicker yarn made of acrylic since it's easier to see what's going on. Acrylic yarn is super cheap so if I mess up or ruin it, it's not a big deal. Wool and alpaca (among others) can felt together easily which can be frustrating for super beginners. I personally found it easier to use circular needles, my favourite are the metal ChiaGoo red lace steel needles, but some heavily prefer straight needles. There's also needles made of steel, bamboo, plastic, aluminum, the options are limited. Needles really made a big difference for me when learning.

Also if you're not familiar with Ravelry, there are tons of free patterns on there to explore.

Just be sure to never ever buy anything from PurlSoho. Their products for sale are as overpriced and pretentious as you can imagine something with Soho in the name can be. I think they sold a blanket kit once that cost over a thousand dollars.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Also, knittinghelp.com has some decent videos. My friend encouraged me to get the Vogue Knitting Bible, and it's pretty rad for looking up stitches/how tos when I don't have the internet.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Thanks all, I'll be giving it another shot tonight. Will post my first knitted thing when it happens!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

Aerofallosov posted:

Oh, the magazines I subscribed to in the UK. I may just suck it up and buy a subscription. Also, I have a free pair I'd gotten as a goodie. Any good books on cable knitting? Otherwise, I may just stick to ravelry and knittinghelp type sites (Lion yarn actually has weirdly good tutorials...).
I never buy technique books, I always just watch videos online. There are tons, and imo it's way easier to understand when you're actually watching someone do the thing, rather than looking at photos or drawings. If one isn't clear, just try another, whatever's highly viewed or from a good source.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Just be sure to never ever buy anything from PurlSoho. Their products for sale are as overpriced and pretentious as you can imagine something with Soho in the name can be. I think they sold a blanket kit once that cost over a thousand dollars.
There's definitely stuff they sell to celebrities who knit, and for that, the goals are clearly to hew to current fads and to make as much money as possible. But they also have more reasonable yarn. I mean it's not gonna be Red Heart, but a lot of what they carry is in line with other LYSes.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

I never buy technique books, I always just watch videos online. There are tons, and imo it's way easier to understand when you're actually watching someone do the thing, rather than looking at photos or drawings. If one isn't clear, just try another, whatever's highly viewed or from a good source.

I often like having still photos of things while I work. It really does come down to preference, and that's okay. For me, I like the highlighted stitches in the drawings and I can kind of match 'em up more easily.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I think the biggest thing that people do that makes knitting seem harder than it is, is that when they start they are always holding everything way too tight and it feels like you're fighting with the yarn the whole time. Just do little 10x10 swatches and make sure you are keeping everything nice and loose. The yarn should just slip right off easily while still holding its shape. I like acrylic and metal needles since they tend to keep everything smooth and easy moving. If you find yourself struggling to put the needle into your next stitch then just let go of your yarn and try to loosen it up.

Also so much is a matter of preference. I know continental is technically faster, but I'm painfully right handed and like keeping as much control in my right hand as possible, so even though I've been knitting most of my life, I really prefer English style.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I'd been reeeeeallly wanting to see what laceweight turns into when it's done in linen stitch. I love the result, but it took me 5 months to get there!

Lace Chickadee Cowl by effika, on Flickr
Ravelry link to project

Pattern is Chickadee Cowl, and yarn is Knitwhits Freia Ombré Lace in Mint Julep.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

effika posted:

I'd been reeeeeallly wanting to see what laceweight turns into when it's done in linen stitch. I love the result, but it took me 5 months to get there!

Lace Chickadee Cowl by effika, on Flickr
Ravelry link to project

Pattern is Chickadee Cowl, and yarn is Knitwhits Freia Ombré Lace in Mint Julep.

Phew that is pretty and an undertaking.

Linen stitch hurts my hands like crazy. Any pointers?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

NancyPants posted:

Phew that is pretty and an undertaking.

Linen stitch hurts my hands like crazy. Any pointers?

Thank you!

Linen stitch is pretty easy on my wrists if I follow a few tips: knit LOOSELY, and use a yarn with a lot of stretch (high wool content, elastic added, etc). I cannot do linen stitch in plant yarns, or acrylics because it hurts. Maybe one day I will loosen my gauge enough for them...

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
That is gorgeous! It looks very luxurious.

For some reason when I do linen stitch it curls like crazy. I definitely see other people's projects with it lying nice and flat though. Is there a secret to that?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

That is gorgeous! It looks very luxurious.

For some reason when I do linen stitch it curls like crazy. I definitely see other people's projects with it lying nice and flat though. Is there a secret to that?

Thank you! It felt wonderful, for the very short amount of time I tried wearing it in a heat index of 101°F.

I have never had linen stitch curl-- it's known specifically as a stitch with minimal curl. I would go back to the basics to see if anything looks non-standard in your technique-- maybe there's something in how you're creating the stitches that causes it. Are you on Ravelry? If so, go post that on the Techniques board because I bet somebody might have an answer. Anne Whateley is usually pretty smart about this stuff too-- let's see if she has any ideas. I am fascinated by this! :allears:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

effika posted:

Thank you!

Linen stitch is pretty easy on my wrists if I follow a few tips: knit LOOSELY, and use a yarn with a lot of stretch (high wool content, elastic added, etc). I cannot do linen stitch in plant yarns, or acrylics because it hurts. Maybe one day I will loosen my gauge enough for them...

Thanks for the tip, I had been trying to destash some of the acrylic garbage and linen stitch was killing me. Even if I knit continental it's too tight. But I switched to wool, and it's much nicer.

I might just chuck the plastic stuff into the trash :v:

E:

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jul 19, 2016

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
Really love that colour combo ^.

ETA: Don't chuck the plastic stuff. See if there's a destash group on Facebook or Rav in your area, or ask around if any charity knitting groups want it. They use it for toys and sometimes garments for people in need, they'll make good use of it.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Yeah, no matter how terrible your yarn is, there is somebody, somewhere, who is perfectly willing and able to make something out of it. This is why my friends give me all their miscellaneous odds and ends--I'm willing to find patterns and uses for all of them instead of just tossing them. (I may also be a goony hoarder but that's beside the point..)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

left_unattended posted:

Really love that colour combo ^.

ETA: Don't chuck the plastic stuff. See if there's a destash group on Facebook or Rav in your area, or ask around if any charity knitting groups want it. They use it for toys and sometimes garments for people in need, they'll make good use of it.

Thanks, I dyed that yarn myself.

vvv: I won't chuck it in the trash because I too am a goony hoarder. I'll probably make my mother some potholders out of it. That's all she ever wants me to give her and she inexplicably likes the acrylic ones. No accounting for taste, I suppose. (That's the pot calling the kettle black since I'm the fucker that bought it in the first place.)

I have two giant skeins of homespun that are very pretty but were torture to work with before I could work continental, so I'll give it another shot after I finish this thing and/or the sweater I'm knitting for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Looking good! I love linen stitch in 2 colors.

I think you mean ^^^ but I, too, am glad you'll use the acrylic somehow.

Also Homespun is awful to work with and may have a "rustic" end result but I always love how soft it is! My favorite headband for winter is Homespun-- soft & blocks the wind well.