Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Though having a random state suddenly appear as Vamp-aligned or w/e happened in Tilea would be loving sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I can see them adding Kislev etc. as minor DLC. Add a bunch of bears and hussars but keep the rest of the roster mostly the same as the empire, add Ice Magic and give them the Tsarina. Done, sell that for 5 dollars and rake in money from the Russians.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm just seriously annoyed that my cavalry sent to deal with the quarrelers took one volley while maneuvering and then rote completely off the field without losing a fifth of their number

Wolf Riders cost like 300. No poo poo they lose to basically anything that can fight back. Use them to chase off routers or generate morale penalties by rear-charging engaged units, but don't think of them as real combat units, especially against poo poo like Quarrelers.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kainser posted:

I can see them adding Kislev etc. as minor DLC. Add a bunch of bears and hussars but keep the rest of the roster mostly the same as the empire, add Ice Magic and give them the Tsarina. Done, sell that for 5 dollars and rake in money from the Russians.

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this happened at least for Kislev eventually once the main factions are in, or at least the main factions for the base/first game. Kislev have a bit more flavour than Tilea/Estalia and are in a much more strategically important part of the map.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 19, 2016

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

if you're chaos and you're getting chased by big stacks of not-chaos just run into the chaos wastes, anything that isn't chaos will get hit with huge attrition there

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Wafflecopper posted:

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if this happened at least for Kislev eventually once the main factions are in, or at least the main factions for the base/first game. Kislev have a bit more flavour than Tilea/Estalia and are in a much more strategically important part of the map.

Can you imagine the Kislev game?

"Hold up in Kislev and try and survive endless doom waves. Eventually the Empire will get big enough that ALL OF CHAOS FOREVER will appear at your doorstep, and you won't be able to stop them. The Empire AI probably won't back you up either."

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Flavahbeast posted:

if you're chaos and you're getting chased by big stacks of not-chaos just run into the chaos wastes, anything that isn't chaos will get hit with huge attrition there

I once chased the Everbitch into the Chaos Wastes. Even going at half-speed to encamp, still wiped him out.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Rookersh posted:

"Hold up in Kislev and try and survive endless doom waves. Eventually the Empire will get big enough that ALL OF CHAOS FOREVER will appear at your doorstep, and you won't be able to stop them. The Empire AI probably won't back you up either."

Do large AI factions actually trigger the chaos invasion? I thought it was only tied to the player faction/turn count. And yeah obviously it'd be difficult but there's nothing wrong with having a challenge faction.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Rookersh posted:

they might need that free resettlement stuff like the slav dlc had in attila

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Wafflecopper posted:

Do large AI factions actually trigger the chaos invasion? I thought it was only tied to the player faction/turn count. And yeah obviously it'd be difficult but there's nothing wrong with having a challenge faction.

I imagine the joke is that you're basically enduring the Kislev NPC experience.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The Bee posted:

I imagine the joke is that you're basically enduring the Kislev NPC experience.

In my game the Kislev experience was colonizing Talabecland and parts of Hochland while expanding North and waving their arrogant dick in front of everyone by refusing every deal.

EDIT: Hahahahahahahaha! I just won a campaign before the Everfailure even had a chance to spawn! That's the best! Because while he's not around he counts as being in a wounded state! 99 Turns for another Long victory!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 19, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?
Here's the last finals between Chomp and 420GankMid. There were a few interesting things going on in this one and it'll be fun to see another tournament in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9-pr9Y3aBc

Big congratulations to our winner. I hope to see some more people kicking around for another series in the future but I also kind of want to play in one.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I just finished a greenskin very hard. Best strategy in my opinion is sacking/razing anything you don't plan to keep/defend properly for at least 4 turns. You can resettle later if you want it or, more likely than not, somebody else will settle it and you can just sack/take it again then. Probably a savage orc tribe now that they respawn.

A lot of how quickly you'll be able to move or maybe even survive is RNG. Sometimes all 3 dwarf factions quick-wipe every greenskin around them by turn 4-6 and then you're staring down multiple 20 stacks before you have maybe 1 1/2 and a waaagh. You want to do everything you can to manipulate the game into not having that or anything close to it happen. This usually means sending your waaaagh to help the AI against whatever minor dwarf faction is about to take their stuff. They can handle minor dwarf factions on their own well enough or at least weaken them for the greenskin AI factions to win, but never, ever let your waaaagh touch the major Dwarf, Vampire Count, Chaos, Bret or Empire factions on their own since hidden autoresolve bonuses will render it less than useless.

Military-wise you really do want to be spamming Boyz. You just don't have the building slots to build other buildings and nothing else is even particularly worth it against dwarves until you can build tier 3+ buildings. Your advantage is going to be outnumbering them with bigger lines capable of surrounding them. Rather than relying on a waaagh stack, you want to be using another general stack to super-ensure you a numbers advantage even down to 2v1ing their generals--your waaaagh can help put out AI fires or take undefended things on their own. Your income is likely going to be negative but that should be okay so long as you're sacking.

Once you finish wiping the dwarves everything should be smooth sailing and you can spend time building up all of your provinces, confederating and wiping out whatever greenskins remain. During this process--beyond building walls to take care of rebels--you want to be building as many boss tent line buildings to tier 3 as possible and recruiting and leveling your big bosses. Why? Because you don't need to kill chaos in order to win, you just need to wound the everfailing so may as well just use assassin agents for the job. When chaos spawns you can hang back and see how much damage they do to the empire before sending some stacks to end whatever's left and sending some agents to murder the everlosing. You win, the only hard part of the campaign being the opening with dwarves. And I guess the tedium that is re-crushing the top knotz and whatever other victory condition savage orcs decide to respawn every 10 turns or so.

If you want to defeat chaos for real, victory conditions be damned, then you still want all of those agents anyway. Why? Because chaos is dumb and if you use the block army agent action they'll try to move in their usual 5+ stack blobs without actually being able to do so. Currently, block army doesn't even trigger the -50% agent success chance on your next turn so you can just spam the action on parts of the blob in succession until they're isolated and ready to snipe. Lightning Strike works, as always, but this lets you 2v1 them which in my opinion is a requirement if you don't want most of your army dead even should you win.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Block army really does work wonders against the big Chaos invasion since they end up separated.

The greenskin campaign taught me that garrisons can levelup and keep experience, so so many rebellions to deal with early on.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm about 30 turns into a hard VC campaign and I'm looking for a few tips from experienced VC players. My current situation is so far I own just the two sylvanian provinces. I spent a number of turns clobbering the zhufbar dwarfs over and over (Mannfred has leveled nicely and I have a lot of magic items) but they got confederated with the dwarfs before I could make them my vassal. Some rebel orcs took over the main stronghold and are just squatting there (which seems like a fine buffer for me) and I've raised the two other dwarf settlements.

My castles are already T4 and getting close to T5 and I'm at war with the dwarfs who appear to be slowly winning the war against the greenskins in the south. I'm not actually at war with any of the humans yet, and the greenskins actually like me (mostly because I beat up on the dwarfs so much).

Currently I've got a banshee in an army with Mannfred (to level up a bit) and a necromancer who is just parked outside my capital. My settlements are mostly 'VC spread building, money, growth or recruitment building'. VC garrisons seem really weak to me so I haven't bothered with them yet. My capital is something like 'vampire building, foundry, gold mine, growth' and my current thought was to have it end up as 'vampire building, necro building, foundry, gold mine, wraith recruitment buildings'. I was looking to make the western province similar but tailored to beasts due to the bonus building.

So what can I do to make my economy better? Will the 'advisor' bonus from necromancers and banshees stack? Also, what are a few good long and short term goals? How are my settlement/city building selections? I've thought about raiding the northern dwarfs a bit, but I really don't want to drive them into the arms of the dwarfs. It seems like many of the human factions have the 'imperial distrust' trait, so I'd rather not give them a common enemy by invading the wrong one. Heck, I'm like 30 turns in and the empire secessionist faction is still alive, so the empire must not be doing all that well. It would definitely be nice to get another province to complete the quest for Mannfred's armor too.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I'm about 30 turns into a hard VC campaign and I'm looking for a few tips from experienced VC players. My current situation is so far I own just the two sylvanian provinces. I spent a number of turns clobbering the zhufbar dwarfs over and over (Mannfred has leveled nicely and I have a lot of magic items) but they got confederated with the dwarfs before I could make them my vassal. Some rebel orcs took over the main stronghold and are just squatting there (which seems like a fine buffer for me) and I've raised the two other dwarf settlements.

My castles are already T4 and getting close to T5 and I'm at war with the dwarfs who appear to be slowly winning the war against the greenskins in the south. I'm not actually at war with any of the humans yet, and the greenskins actually like me (mostly because I beat up on the dwarfs so much).

Currently I've got a banshee in an army with Mannfred (to level up a bit) and a necromancer who is just parked outside my capital. My settlements are mostly 'VC spread building, money, growth or recruitment building'. VC garrisons seem really weak to me so I haven't bothered with them yet. My capital is something like 'vampire building, foundry, gold mine, growth' and my current thought was to have it end up as 'vampire building, necro building, foundry, gold mine, wraith recruitment buildings'. I was looking to make the western province similar but tailored to beasts due to the bonus building.

So what can I do to make my economy better? Will the 'advisor' bonus from necromancers and banshees stack? Also, what are a few good long and short term goals? How are my settlement/city building selections? I've thought about raiding the northern dwarfs a bit, but I really don't want to drive them into the arms of the dwarfs. It seems like many of the human factions have the 'imperial distrust' trait, so I'd rather not give them a common enemy by invading the wrong one. Heck, I'm like 30 turns in and the empire secessionist faction is still alive, so the empire must not be doing all that well. It would definitely be nice to get another province to complete the quest for Mannfred's armor too.

Could you try and manipulate your way into an alliance with one of the imperial distrust factions? Try and check out who they are at war with.

Alternatively, I found it pretty good to go south and take over the Border Princes territory. Consider building the Balefire line in Western Sylvania - if you have a moment's breather, now's a good time to be softening up all those nearby provinces with undead corruption.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Goddamn loving poo poo I hate Chaos as VCs. Archaeon always tunnel visions me hard, and by the third wave they have so high tier units I need to have three full stacks to their one to have a chance. Also garrisons do nothing when they just run past them and go razing the weaker settlements.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The most fun I've had with VC was when I mostly ignored the Empire. After doing the standard "Unite Sylvania + vassalize the nearby dwarfs" thing I had Manny take over part of the border princes area, then go on an expedition to Estalia. Conquered/built that up then propped up the not-French Vampires as a subjugated vampire kingdom, which in turn took over all over Brettonia. When I decided I wanted to gently caress over the Empire (at about the peak of the Chaos invasion, naturally) I attacked with Manny's stack + French Skeletons from the west, a token stack from the Border Princes area, and Kemmler + two generic general stacks from the east. It was a lot of fun.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Double Bill posted:

Goddamn loving poo poo I hate Chaos as VCs. Archaeon always tunnel visions me hard, and by the third wave they have so high tier units I need to have three full stacks to their one to have a chance. Also garrisons do nothing when they just run past them and go razing the weaker settlements.

In my VC campaigns the first thing I would do is unify Sylvania and then sack towns around it to build tier 2 garrison buildings in all of Sylvania. Would usually have everything walled off around turn 20. When Chaos has to stop and siege your cities that's when you lightning strike them. I beat all 7 of these chaos stacks with only 2 of my own. What I did was sit one army in Eschen and one in Waldenhof. When they would send 3 stacks at a time to siege Waldenhof I'd send the Kemmler out from Eschen and lightning strike one of the stacks. After you kill one stack then you have 2 full stacks and your garrison vs. 2 of their stacks. The two stacks will probably run away at that point, hopefully in different directions and you can use the stack from Waldenhof to pick one of them off. You can repeat until Chaos is weak enough to chase down and destroy. If you're having trouble beating even 1 chaos army then your army composition may need some tweaking.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Beastmen campaign

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFW54sq5H8s

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Razorgor chariot confirmed as a lord mount.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Does anyone else get tons of crashing with this game? I think about 80% of the time I launch this game it crashes, and I've tried just about anything I can think of. It seems a lot of people are having the issue, and haven't heard any sort of response from CA.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Curious if they will backport the chariot mounts to the Greenskins who were supposed to get them as well.

e; The beastmen research tree gimmick is pretty cool.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jul 19, 2016

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I like the ambush attacks too, ambushes are fun to play and fun to play against, but they rarely ever happen in the current campaign.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Wait, so Beastmen have the best mechanics of Chaos and Orcs but none of their problems? Holy crap.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
Yeah, ambush while attacking is the best thing Beastmen get, that just looks fun to use.

I do like that they look like a much more refined take on horde gameplay, pretty much Chaos without any of the lovely parts of playing Chaos.

Most of the Beastmen units are fragile as poo poo though, you really gotta lean hard on the ambush/vanguard/free army stuff with them. Also AP damage is pretty rare for most of the roster.

So, unit talk, just based on stats:

Cygor is pretty much as expected. He hits like a truck in melee but you don't want him stuck in with his low armor/garbage defense. OTOH, an artillery piece that can't be easily sniped is pretty badass.

Razorgor herds are pure charge with garbage melee and LD, pretty much what you'd expect.

Ungor Units have low damage/LD/no armor, but are surprisingly fighty for fodder units, good attack and charge makes them pretty decent vanguards. I like the Raiders especially, they look like slightly better than Goblin shooting (lower unit size though) combined with decent melee.

Gors keep on rocking that 15 armor but they're as fast as savage orcs with even more melee attack/charge.

Bestigors are looking pretty solid, kinda like lighter, fast Black Orcs. (37 speed on Heavy Infantry is a thing)

Minotaurs seem kinda like better Trolls, just with no regen. None of the weapon variants come with notable stat buffs though, the shielded version does less damage but has a shield/slightly better defense, and I'm pretty sure they have AP damage already so the Greatweapon variant is mostly for a bonus vs infantry, maybe?

Centigors are pretty much just (really fast) light cav with vanguard, but the axe throwing variant is definitely Marauder Cav+++. I could see myself using them a lot but getting caught by enemy cav will probably not go well for the Centigors.

The default Beastmen Lord looks pretty tough, like better stats than an Empire general almost across the board. Balanced mostly by only having a chariot mount I suppose.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

As if people needed an excuse to never touch the Chaos campaign again. Oh hey I feel like playing a horde faction; Should I play the excruciating grind that is the Chaos campaign or should I play the easier and more fluid Beastmen campaign with many new and interesting campaign mechanics?

EDIT: Beastmen are currently 16% off on Green Man Gaming which comes to $15.99.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 19, 2016

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Yeah, ambushes owns so that will be fun. Hope the wood elves gets some of that action as well.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Yeah, wow. Beastmen look like a proper horde faction and much more fun than Warriors of Chaos. Malagor starts with a fuckin' Chaos giant too, drat. It's a shame Malagor starts in the Badlands that I've seen a million times by now, because I quite like his bonuses better and trying out the new lores first should be fun.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

What are the odds the existing factions get more quality of life changes with the Beastmen Patch?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

As if people needed an excuse to never touch the Chaos campaign again. Oh hey I feel like playing a horde faction; Should I play the excruciating grind that is the Chaos campaign or should I play the easier and more fluid Beastmen campaign with many new and interesting campaign mechanics?

I like how when chaos does show up midgame, they are neutral and you can either choose to ally with them, or tell them to gently caress off and fight them too. Basically the Warhammer Fantasy equivalent of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYtjpIwamos

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

What are the odds the existing factions get more quality of life changes with the Beastmen Patch?

I feel like this is bound to happen, because otherwise our starting factions may feel a bit archaic as the game progresses.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I feel like the warriors of chaos campaign could be made a lot more fun with some balance changes. It shouldn't be as ridiculous a slog as it is subjugating the north. I also think chaos needs some way to actually recover troops away from the north in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe make some sort of 'shrine' that can be built on a ruin that makes an area act as a 'home' area.

I'm sure that as CA gets better at this new races will only get better and better. Hopefully they will go back and brush up the old ones every once in a while. I'm guessing that each 'expansion' will add additional updates and units to the existing factions.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Yeah, wow. Beastmen look like a proper horde faction and much more fun than Warriors of Chaos. Malagor starts with a fuckin' Chaos giant too, drat. It's a shame Malagor starts in the Badlands that I've seen a million times by now, because I quite like his bonuses better and trying out the new lores first should be fun.

Well, they are a pure horde and they seem to be very mobile on the strategic map, so it seems like it'd be pretty easy to just start as Malagor anyways, maybe bully the Orcs for a turn or two, and then make a beeline right for the western countries.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

Dandywalken posted:

Though having a random state suddenly appear as Vamp-aligned or w/e happened in Tilea would be loving sweet.

There's Mousillon but it's not quite the same. That place is pretty scary in the fluff.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I hope they weaken the Norscan tribes now that the Imperial factions have to worry about Savage Orcs and Brayheards rampaging about.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fangz posted:

Could you try and manipulate your way into an alliance with one of the imperial distrust factions? Try and check out who they are at war with.

Alternatively, I found it pretty good to go south and take over the Border Princes territory. Consider building the Balefire line in Western Sylvania - if you have a moment's breather, now's a good time to be softening up all those nearby provinces with undead corruption.

I like the idea of beating up the border princes and trying to slowly move my base of power to the west of the map. Moving north would just run me up against chaos faster, so west and/or south to the BP seems like the only real alternatives (other than just staying put and building 'tall' or whatever). I'm already spreading corruption but I should probably start hiring heroes to move it along faster.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I feel like the warriors of chaos campaign could be made a lot more fun with some balance changes. It shouldn't be as ridiculous a slog as it is subjugating the north. I also think chaos needs some way to actually recover troops away from the north in a reasonable amount of time. Maybe make some sort of 'shrine' that can be built on a ruin that makes an area act as a 'home' area.

I've only beaten Chaos on "Hard" but I tend to just skip subjugating the north and go south instead. I dunno why so many people fixate on stomping the lovely barbarians first. I only stay up there long enough to get my second stack going, which usually means only going as far as the dwarf faction that's up there before I turn south. At that point I usually have two stacks of mostly warriors and a fat war chest from looting.

As far as replenishment goes, if my troops took a beating I just move somewhere safe and merge units/recruit new ones. It's a little tricker in the early/mid game I suppose, but by end game your hordes should be able to replenish half a stack in a single turn and you should have hundreds of thousands of chaos bucks from sacking poo poo.

That said, they were probably my second least-favorite campaign. Their quest battles are a huge pain in the rear end and if you gently caress up early you might as well start the whole thing over. The only campaign I disliked more was Dwarf.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I don't really agree that the Chaos warriors are necessarily a slog, but they do require a lot of experience to play in a way that is not sloggish, since they require a very different mentality to other factions. The adviser flat out lies to you by telling you to pick on Norscans.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I like the idea of beating up the border princes and trying to slowly move my base of power to the west of the map. Moving north would just run me up against chaos faster, so west and/or south to the BP seems like the only real alternatives (other than just staying put and building 'tall' or whatever). I'm already spreading corruption but I should probably start hiring heroes to move it along faster.

Definitely hire heroes and try to do something with them every turn. This is a pretty key thing for every faction, pretty much. If you build a pack of wight kings with an authoritarian statline, you can drop a group of them into a neighbouring frenemy's province and incite a rebellion very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Theese goddamned beastmen are looking amazing and i want them now, NOW!!

I also wish chaos were to get some minor balance changes too, raise that replenishment when in encampment for one.

Trujillo posted:

In my VC campaigns the first thing I would do is unify Sylvania and then sack towns around it to build tier 2 garrison buildings in all of Sylvania. Would usually have everything walled off around turn 20.

This is correct and good advice, and not just for VC's.

Im gonna say this: anyone who advocates about not having Walls on every single minor settlement in your domain, or atleast have it as a goal for the future, is wrong. Always wall up, always.

If you do not, and go with "just wall up certain areas, and let them act as a bottleneck" you'll find out that the computer LOVES ignoring those and goes STRAIGHT for your unwalled settlements. And losing one or more of them, especially against chaos who'll just burn it down, is a huge blow after building them up. Even more so if you're using Mazz's T4 minor settlement mods.

• Locked thread