Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

drat peacemongers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Zapp Brannigan for America's leader

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder if you could have an AI civ that is focused on espionage and spying?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Grapplejack posted:

I wonder if you could have an AI civ that is focused on espionage and spying?

This is ARC and Chungsu in Beyond Earth, so yes absolutely.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
Napoleon as leader of Germany.
Ulysses S Grant as leader of America.
Enrico Dandalo as leader of Byzantium.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

These two are best next to each other :v:

they're right

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Vermin Supreme for America's leader.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

They can't both be right.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'm sad we didn't get any civ vid this week :argh:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I figured that was a side-effect of having two Civ videos last week.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Proposition Joe posted:

These leaks are kind of cool but it seems to indicate a stunning lack of native american civs. :(

Someone on the Civ Fanatics thread proposed a pretty plausible reason for this and other odd civ choices: since they are making more of an effort to differentiate civilizations visually (i.e. unit wise, not just cities), they are likely concentrating civilizations into blocks like Western Europe/Eastern Europe/African/East Asian/etc to allow for maximum asset reuse.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Overflight posted:

Someone on the Civ Fanatics thread proposed a pretty plausible reason for this and other odd civ choices: since they are making more of an effort to differentiate civilizations visually (i.e. unit wise, not just cities), they are likely concentrating civilizations into blocks like Western Europe/Eastern Europe/African/East Asian/etc to allow for maximum asset reuse.

That makes sense and would be pretty smart considering that 6 has about 10x the art assets needing to be created compared to 5.

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jul 16, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Human Crouton posted:

That makes sense and would be pretty smart considering that 6 has about 10x the art assets needing to be created compared to 6.

:v:

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

Peas and Rice posted:

Ulysses S Grant as leader of America.

Seems like this joke wanted Lee, or am I bricking?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really hope they'll add some native american civs that aren't complete assholes that I want to genocide as soon as I meet them. loving Hiawatha, Pocatello and Pacal. Stop stealing all land and the constant settler and prophet diarrhea! :argh:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Poil posted:

I really hope they'll add some native american civs that aren't complete assholes that I want to genocide as soon as I meet them.

Woah calm down Britain

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Well I mean, everybody was an rear end in a top hat in civ v, so I'm not really sure where you're going with that. The Iroquois and especially The Shoshone were actually relatively peaceful even.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:
Carpeting a continent with your cities is not considered a peaceful action under any circumstances. I think there's a special grindstone just for Iroquois and Polynesia.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Aren't the Iroquois sometimes considered annoying because they put down cities everywhere (on higher difficulties, at least)?

e:f,b

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Thanks to the AI always playing on Chieftain difficulty, spamming cities everywhere is a pretty good AI strategy.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kassad posted:

Aren't the Iroquois sometimes considered annoying because they put down cities everywhere (on higher difficulties, at least)?

Yeah I was going to mention that, the Iroquois and the Shoshone like to play wide, but you know, playing civ, you sort of expect some opposition right?

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Byzantine posted:

loving Brazil and not Byzantium?

They already have Trajan as a nice new leader for Rome.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Kassad posted:

Their Expansion bias is a 9, second only to Shaka which is 11. Everyone with 8 is tied for third and includes: Greece, Rome, Russia, Indonesia, the Mongols, Polynesia, the Aztecs, France, Japan, the Shoshone and the Ottomans.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

Wu and Swearengen for China and USA

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

divx posted:

Wu and Swearengen for China and USA

:perfect:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Stagger_Lee posted:

Seems like this joke wanted Lee, or am I bricking?
Not if the goal is to laugh at the impotent rage of CF's vocal contingent of racists. :ssh:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Grant was President, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Everything in the OP makes this game sound baller. I'm lovin the new art style also, especially the FoW effects. The leaders are a bit cutesy for my taste, but it's probably a change for the better, given how stiff Civ V's leaders could get.

So what's the dill-squeezy on the civs and leaders revealed so far? I'm a bit steamed that they put Cleopatra back in, but apparently Big Stick Teddy is in charge of America and that's amazing. And Japan is run by some Legend of Zelda-lookin dweeb? Is there any word on how many civs will be in the base game? That's very important to me.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kajeesus posted:

Everything in the OP makes this game sound baller. I'm lovin the new art style also, especially the FoW effects. The leaders are a bit cutesy for my taste, but it's probably a change for the better, given how stiff Civ V's leaders could get.

So what's the dill-squeezy on the civs and leaders revealed so far? I'm a bit steamed that they put Cleopatra back in, but apparently Big Stick Teddy is in charge of America and that's amazing. And Japan is run by some Legend of Zelda-lookin dweeb? Is there any word on how many civs will be in the base game? That's very important to me.

18 in the base game. Go back a few pages and you're going to find a lot of speculation about many leaders and civs through a leaked image.

Confirmed are China ( with Qin Shi Huang), Rome (with possibly Trajan) and Spain and India, thanks to unique units revealed a while back.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 19, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I want Rhys and Fall with earth locations, etc. for this new game. Rhys is why I still play Civ IV.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
China's vid!

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTY0OTM0OTgwOA==.html

UU Crouching Tiger Cannon

UI Great Wall

UA Dynastic Cycles.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
And here it is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENMzcvQVvzA

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

That leader model is putrid.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Dynastic Cycles' boost to Eurekas and Inspirations means bonus Science and Culture all game without specifically accelerating the production of either.

Crouching Tiger Cannon is resourceless.

Great Wall provides defense and gold early on and culture and tourism in the later game.

And of course we've known of Qin's extra Builder charge and rushing Ancient/Classical Wonders with them.

Seems like they're built around taking an early lead and snowballing from there.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He looks like his portrait?

I genuinely don't get the hate for the leaders, I think they all look pretty great.

Great wall as a tile improvement looks pretty interesting, gonna berlin up the continent with that I'm sure.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I also love the chinese leader, Wallace

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Great Wall looks baller as heck. Finally I get to build a wall around my entire empire rather than just five tiles out from my capital.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The real question is, is the Great Wall's defensive bonus obsoleted by China's research or by the invader's research? It was super dumb in Civ5 how you could carefully avoid obsoleting your Great Wall bonus by directing your research away from...what was it, Dynamite?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

The real question is, is the Great Wall's defensive bonus obsoleted by China's research or by the invader's research? It was super dumb in Civ5 how you could carefully avoid obsoleting your Great Wall bonus by directing your research away from...what was it, Dynamite?

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

He looks like his portrait?

I genuinely don't get the hate for the leaders, I think they all look pretty great.

He looks like his pets go on heartwarming, educatuonal adventures when he leaves his house.