Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Seems like the price/performance is good if you already are locked into Nvidia with a G-sync monitor but if you're *-Sync-less the prospect of an extra $100 for a G-Sync panel makes it a bit more dubious.

Nvidia would probably be cleaning up if they just dropped the price premium on G-Sync.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

mobby_6kl posted:

Well yeah it's visually better too of course :)

But I think the perception is significantly influenced by the game and how you play it. Aren't a lot of console games locked to 30fps? That's downright terrible for anything but slow paced adventures and what not, but apparently people were ok with that when played from a distance with a controller.

Most console games now try and keep a locked 60fps but there are exceptions usually on the Xbox One. I played MGS5 on Xbox One and had no issues with it being 30fps, but give me a racing game and playing it at less than 60fps is painful. I think there's something to do with your monitor as well, like if you have a 60hz monitor (like me) you can't really notice any fps above 60. But having that headroom in case there's a sudden framerate tank is nice.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
So with dX12, is the 480 gonna pull out ahead of the 1060 or is the initial 'amd is more future proof' more a current driver thing?

edit

And are Gainward any good? There's a 1060 at £240 from them, but I've honestly never heard of them.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 19, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The few DX12 benchmarks I've seen suggest there isn't gonna be much difference, but the 1060 might have a very slight advantage.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
A video here from Digital Foundry with the 1060, 480, 980 and 960.

Pretty much a wash in their tests at 2560×1440, but the 1060 pulls ahead a bit at 1920×1080.

Although some people will say "oh, the 1060 is slightly ahead in some tests, it wins, goodbye 480", I wouldn't be so sure. I think the 480 is still a great buy in this segment, because of Freesync. I'm going to suggest that a 480 + Freesync monitor (with a range supporting LFC of course) will give you a better experience than a 1060 and a normal monitor, and will be a far better use of your money than a 1060 + Gsync monitor.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 19, 2016

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

A video here from Digital Foundry with the 1060, 480, 980 and 960.

Pretty much a wash in their tests, with the 1060 edging out a win overall.

Although some people will say "oh, the 1060 is slightly ahead in some tests, it wins, goodbye 480", I wouldn't be so sure. I think the 480 is still the better buy in this segment, I'll explain why: Freesync. I'm going to suppose that a 480 + Freesync monitor (with a range supporting LFC of course) will give you a better experience than a 1060 and a normal monitor, and will be a far better use of your money than a 1060 + Gsync monitor.

Yeah this is why I think I'm going to wait for an AIB 480 and pair it with a free-sync monitor like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236722. The only annoying thing is I think my R9 380 2GB will have little to no after-market value. Can't imagine getting more than $50-$100 for it given how terrible it performs.

Fortunately I have an Apple Watch I don't want that should be able to fund about half of this purchase.

axeil fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 19, 2016

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

So with dX12, is the 480 gonna pull out ahead of the 1060 or is the initial 'amd is more future proof' more a current driver thing?

They seem to be basically equal in DX12. The 480 does pull ahead significantly in Hitman DX12, but AMD crushes that game even in DX11 mode so I wouldn't read too much into its DX12 performance.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011
No SLI makes me wonder if SLIed 1060s would offer comparable performance to a 1080.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

repiv posted:

They seem to be basically equal in DX12. The 480 does pull ahead significantly in Hitman DX12, but AMD crushes that game even in DX11 mode so I wouldn't read too much into its DX12 performance.

My concern is all this async talk, I honestly haven't been keeping up to date with GPU information. But from what I gather the 1060,1070 and 1080 don't support it properly? Or maybe its just the drivers.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

What the gently caress is up with Australia on this release. The same 1060 models that are $250 USD in America are selling for $500 AUD, when you can get an 8GB RX480 for $359. So a 4% difference in price in America (which makes the card an absolute no brainer), becomes a 40% premium in Aus.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Would those smaller EVGA cards presumably run hotter/louder than a full sized one?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Welp, it looks like the chances of getting a 1060 for $280 or less on launch day are slim and none. :negative:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

axeil posted:

Seems like the price/performance is good if you already are locked into Nvidia with a G-sync monitor but if you're *-Sync-less the prospect of an extra $100 for a G-Sync panel makes it a bit more dubious.

Nvidia would probably be cleaning up if they just dropped the price premium on G-Sync.

Nvidia is probably going to clean up anyway and this way they do it at better margins.

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
I was trying to get a 1060, ended up buying the G1 1070 for $429 on amazon.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

HalloKitty posted:

Although some people will say "oh, the 1060 is slightly ahead in some tests, it wins, goodbye 480", I wouldn't be so sure. I think the 480 is still a great buy in this segment, because of Freesync. I'm going to suggest that a 480 + Freesync monitor (with a range supporting LFC of course) will give you a better experience than a 1060 and a normal monitor, and will be a far better use of your money than a 1060 + Gsync monitor.
Pretty much this.

They're launching the 1060 for less than what I thought so AMD will probably have to drop the price a bit on the RX480 to keep sales up but you probably won't see firesales of 8GB RX480's. My WAG is they drop the 4GB RX480 and make the reference HSF 8GB RX480 the "cheap" $200-ish option and the AIB versions with better HSF's end up selling for closer to $240-ish. Won't help their profits at all but so long as sales stay good and they make some money per sale they're fine.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

mango sentinel posted:

Would those smaller EVGA cards presumably run hotter/louder than a full sized one?

No.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
And they are loving gone folks. In one hour. I literally went to a meeting for a hour, and they were posted and sold in that hour.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I really would like the fancy MSI model, but £300 is too much. Still pretty tempted by a Saphire reference 480 instead. It's only £249.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Xeom posted:

And they are loving gone folks. In one hour. I literally went to a meeting for a hour, and they were posted and sold in that hour.

:capitalism:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mega Comrade posted:

And are Gainward any good? There's a 1060 at £240 from them, but I've honestly never heard of them.

Gainward Golden Samples used to be fantastic cards way back when. There's a quick review of the Phoenix in this Techspot review of the 1060: http://www.techspot.com/review/1209-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060/page9.html

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

:toot: maybe I'll be able to grab one some far off day.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Gunder posted:

I really would like the fancy MSI model, but £300 is too much. Still pretty tempted by a Saphire reference 480 instead. It's only £249.

The Powercolor AIB is £249 and is clocked much higher, although who knows when it will be released.

I think I'm going mad but I'm really leaning towards the 4gb reference 480, ebuyer have them for £174. Unlock the extra memory and it's an 8gb 480 for peanuts compared to the 1060s.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 19, 2016

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Bardeh posted:

A 1060 is not going to play games at 4k, which is worth bearing in mind. And the FE's are the worst choice, price/performance wise, especially for the 1060's where we're getting partner boards the same day as the FE's.

The 4k would mostly be for windows stuff not gaming, though the 1060 seems to be ok-ish for WQHD stuff as far as I can tell. Which would more than be enough for me. Really 1080 is fine.

The only one's I currently see available (and only at a single vendor, wtf Germany) seem to be the Palit GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL Active or the Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 Active both at 279€. It's not that urgent, the HD4600 is competent enough for Windows and 2d stuff, should I wait some more?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Sereri posted:

The 4k would mostly be for windows stuff not gaming, though the 1060 seems to be ok-ish for WQHD stuff as far as I can tell. Which would more than be enough for me. Really 1080 is fine.

The only one's I currently see available (and only at a single vendor, wtf Germany) seem to be the Palit GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL Active or the Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 Active both at 279€. It's not that urgent, the HD4600 is competent enough for Windows and 2d stuff, should I wait some more?

If you don't need it now then wait. There is always something better/lower prices around the corner.

Also, a reminder that you can game at 1080p and it scales evenly 4:1 on 4K screens. There still is no single card that really pushes a reliable 60fps at 4K yet. Probably 1080 Ti or 1180 Ti territory.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Well screw it I impulse bought a Sapphire Fury Nitro for $275 on newegg. PP2016BTS gets you $25 off the $300 price if you use PayPal.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
The Fury price slash was a good move

But $249.99 custom cooled AIB 1060's are pretty much GG I'm afraid.

Posted earlier, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-14125879-S0B , but a 100% reversal on the 1070/1080 launch.

And you know why

competition

Don't judge me for wanting AMD to not loving suck rear end just for competition, but its true. Stop it AMD, release cards, release them more than once every 3 years and when you do don't release just 1.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you don't need it now then wait. There is always something better/lower prices around the corner.

Also, a reminder that you can game at 1080p and it scales evenly 4:1 on 4K screens. There still is no single card that really pushes a reliable 60fps at 4K yet. Probably 1080 Ti or 1180 Ti territory.

This might be fixed equally by game engines improving though, right? Those PS4 Neo slides talked about all the engine changes needed to run at 4K render resolution with a downclocked RX 480, and they're going to essentially force devs to run 4K native res because 1440p isn't enough.

I'd assume that future PC engines will be more friendly to running at higher resolutions.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

spasticColon posted:

Welp, it looks like the chances of getting a 1060 for $280 or less on launch day are slim and none. :negative:

at least they are priced at $250/$260, even though they sold out immediately

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
That 1060 is a good deal but I have a freesync monitor so I wanted to stick with AMD to utilize that feature.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Christ, the GPU market is a mess.

Congratulations, Nvidia. You have rendered dollar/frame calculations impossible and meaningless with your reference/non-reference pricing shenanigans.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

wicka posted:

at least they are priced at $250/$260, even though they sold out immediately

I'm still hoping a fool's hope I can snag an evga 1060 for $250-$260 but it's looking like I'll have to wait for the next batch of cards to come in stock and who the hell knows when that will be. I'm thinking at least a month but until then it's price-gouged slim pickings.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Congratulations, Nvidia. You have rendered dollar/frame calculations impossible and meaningless with your reference/non-reference pricing shenanigans.

If AMD was actually competitive the GPU market wouldn't be such a mess.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jul 19, 2016

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Are any of these actually gonna make it to retail?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I hate it too. Hate it.

But they did a 180* on this card. I'm impressed they could manage to do so, pricing wise, without their heads exploding. The FE is for the 1060 is, simply put, an actually limited edition card you'd have to be a real actual fan to buy... which is how it should be if you're going to have it at all.

And what's more they pulled this seemingly out of their rear end ahead of schedule despite never ending shortages on their other releases simply to respond to the 480, or the threat of the 480 anyway. I literally didn't think there would be any for sale at all today, period, much less AIB's with real coolers at MSRP (I actually can't think of a time this has ever happened in like, 5 years at least). I suppose it does help that the TDP is so low that I suppose its easier to slap on their "lame" 1070 coolers and achieve good results. Not that I'd expect that to still be at $250-$260 though.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Twerk from Home posted:

This might be fixed equally by game engines improving though, right? Those PS4 Neo slides talked about all the engine changes needed to run at 4K render resolution with a downclocked RX 480, and they're going to essentially force devs to run 4K native res because 1440p isn't enough.

I'd assume that future PC engines will be more friendly to running at higher resolutions.

I wouldn't hold your breath. It's going to take a few more gens of cards before they're targeting stable 4k resolutions seriously. There just aren't that many of the screens out on the market and the hardware needs to catch up to that new baseline. There's no programming tricks fancy enough to overcome the number of pixels you're displaying and the only recourse for the moment is the improved dx12/vulkan multi-gpu support but your games still need to support that. Maybe some of the studios will go in the direction of no mans sky and pick a more artistic path that is less taxing on the hardware to allow for 4k resolutions on midrange hardware but the studios seem to be pushing hard for hyper-realism so I don't think that will pan out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HalloKitty posted:

[ I think the 480 is still a great buy in this segment, because of Freesync. I'm going to suggest that a 480 + Freesync monitor (with a range supporting LFC of course) will give you a better experience than a 1060 and a normal monitor, and will be a far better use of your money than a 1060 + Gsync monitor.

The critical piece here is assuming that people in the market for this card are going to buy some sort of *sync monitor to begin with.

I would contend that if you are in this market and have an otherwise decent 1080p monitor, neither the RX480+freesync nor gtx1060+gsync would be the right choice for the best gaming experience. At that point, you should be better served keeping your monitor and putting the whole budget into a GTX1070.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

I'm on the queue, but it was only 20 € above MSRP and with good luck I get mine before Deus Ex Mankind Divided is released.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Ended up buying the stupid expensive (£299 inc. delivery) MSI 1060. May god have mercy on my wallet.

Edit: Here's a review of the MSI model.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 19, 2016

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I wouldn't hold your breath. It's going to take a few more gens of cards before they're targeting stable 4k resolutions seriously. There just aren't that many of the screens out on the market and the hardware needs to catch up to that new baseline. There's no programming tricks fancy enough to overcome the number of pixels you're displaying and the only recourse for the moment is the improved dx12/vulkan multi-gpu support but your games still need to support that. Maybe some of the studios will go in the direction of no mans sky and pick a more artistic path that is less taxing on the hardware to allow for 4k resolutions on midrange hardware but the studios seem to be pushing hard for hyper-realism so I don't think that will pan out.

I myself think it's going to take another revolutionary leap in GPU tech in order for 4K gaming to become feasible. Maybe something similar to the jump to the Unified shader model? All that Nvidia and AMD have been doing for the last 10+ years is building on the Unified Shader Model technology so they probably need another revolutionary leap beyond that.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I don't think its as much of a leap as it is bits and pieces coming together. DX12/Vulkan have shown the potential for efficiency gains when devs decide to give a gently caress and the 14/16nm process node will only mature. It may take bigass end-stage 14/16nm chips on HBM2 chugging 300W to get there but 4K can totally be A Thing without a super revolutionary leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paiz
Jan 14, 2004
Something I haven't brought up here regarding RX480 vs 1060 and the new APIs, the RX480 gets about 25% better performance in Doom with Vulkan.

It's pretty strange that so many reviewers are omitting from their testing. :tinfoil: