Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'm getting to where I don't know why I bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I pretty much only watch Xfinity races if I'm at them at this point.

So today sucked on that front

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I got to where I picked out plate races, non-companion events, road courses, and short tracks as my NXS races to watch 8-9 years ago.

kidcoelacanth posted:

I pretty much only watch Xfinity races if I'm at them at this point.

So today sucked on that front

My dad asked "Are you going to watch the Busch race?".

I told him "No. Kyle's going to win.". I was not wrong.

Kyle was apparently a sub for Tifft today, too. Why not throw some money Sam Hornish, Jr's way? :effort:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Sam Hornish is a bad stock car driver

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

LordPants posted:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

LordPants posted:

He's batting 1.000 this year, pal :smug:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

kidcoelacanth posted:

He's batting 1.000 this year, pal :smug:

His swing for the fences style pays off sometimes.

It usually just pays off for sheet metal sellers

Muddy Burphy
Dec 4, 2010

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frogc00l:

he knows...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kyle was apparently a sub for Tifft today, too. Why not throw some money Sam Hornish, Jr's way? :effort:

NOS was on the car, so I'm guessing they moved one of their scheduled races and Tifft will run one of Busch's if he's cleared before the end of the year

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

I bet if I hit the mute button during the pre-race and one of each of us roleplayed as Kyle Petty, Dale Jarrett, and Krista Voda, we could probably match exactly what they're saying.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

LASTCAR posted:

I bet if I hit the mute button during the pre-race and one of each of us roleplayed as Kyle Petty, Dale Jarrett, and Krista Voda, we could probably match exactly what they're saying.

"Good afternoon, welcome to raceday. I'm perma-retired driver Kylestomper45..."

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Welp. gently caress this race.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Being a 78 fan is hell

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Being a 78 fan is hell

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kenseth and Power win. A Bad Weekend of Racing.

COLE PEARN must've gotten something fixed in the transmission because he got back to 15th.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
https://twitter.com/jim_utter/status/754803517802569728

Ouch

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Joe Gibbs racing is a disgrace. The whole team should be banned for life it's the same poo poo every week.

*prays and thanks jesus after winning because you broke the rules*

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Possibly Chicken posted:

Joe Gibbs racing is a disgrace. The whole team should be banned for life it's the same poo poo every week.

he's praying that it passes tech but God Is Dead

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

VikingSkull posted:

he's praying that it passes tech but God Is Dead

He works in mysterious ways!

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

He works in mysterious ways!

I don't think that putting strange chemicals in your proprietary oil and then your son catching the sadbrains is very mysterious

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Possibly Chicken posted:

It won't stop unless they start taking away wins, which they will never do for whatever reason. What they could do is, if a winning car fails post race tech, their win does NOT count toward the chase. If you're 28th in points and win, but fail post race, you don't make it. If you have 2 wins and win a 3rd that fails post race, no bonus points. It seems easy enough. You don't have to take the wins away, just make them worthless and that will cut out some of the cheating...maybe.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yes, as we know, groups such as Hendrick, Penske, RCR, or Roush/Yates would never cheat and have certainly never been caught. :haw:

I mean really guys like Chad Knaus only read the rulebook to find out how to break it, cmon

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Smokey Did Nothing Wrong.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

shame on an IGA posted:

Smokey Did Nothing Wrong.

When you put on overalls and black out your teeth to both screw with the press and make fun of your hick driver at the same time.

Also he was a hipster waaaaaay before anyone on these dead, gay forums

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Hey Viking, what's the appropriate response to this entry in the Truck race Wednesday night? Am I to boo him or is he OK?

quote:

13 16 Stewart Friesen Halmar International Chevy Chris Larsen

bigbillystyle posted:

It won't stop unless they start taking away wins, which they will never do for whatever reason. What they could do is, if a winning car fails post race tech, their win does NOT count toward the chase. If you're 28th in points and win, but fail post race, you don't make it. If you have 2 wins and win a 3rd that fails post race, no bonus points. It seems easy enough. You don't have to take the wins away, just make them worthless and that will cut out some of the cheating...maybe.

Didn't they do this already with Kenseth?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I'm cheering Stewy now. He's running weekly at OCFS now so I gotta pull for the home track guy. Plus, Jessica was super nice when I bought some shirts from them at ESW last year, we talked sprint cars and Middletown for like 20 minutes and she let me pet her awesome doggo, so they won me over.

JR Heffner is the modified guy you root for if Stew is a bridge too far.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Just listened to Jr's podcast. Between it, and the way everyone was acting at Loudon, I'm beginning to think that this concussion is more serious than your typical concussion. What I really don't like about it is that, at least on the track there doesn't seem to be a good explanation for where it could have happened. Neither the Michigan or Daytona wrecks were all that "hard" by NASCAR standards. Also, it seems to be a slow burn where as the other concussions seemed to have been a more immediate "Oh, poo poo, I'm not right." The idea that he could walk around for a couple weeks thinking he was having allergies and not a concussion, worries me. When he's talking "Patience" on Monday about his recovery, that all but confirms that he won't be in the car this weekend. It also throws some question marks on whether he will, or should, come back this season. It's early to start thinking like that, but not by much. If he ends up missing anything more than three races, combined with the way that he's been running (very average lately), I don't think it becomes an unreasonable question.

But I also said that Kyle should have sat out all of last year, so what do I know?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Jr championship confirmed.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

SpitztheGreat posted:

. What I really don't like about it is that, at least on the track there doesn't seem to be a good explanation for where it could have happened. Neither the Michigan or Daytona wrecks were all that "hard" by NASCAR standards. Also, it seems to be a slow burn where as the other concussions seemed to have been a more immediate "Oh, poo poo, I'm not right." The idea that he could walk around for a couple weeks thinking he was having allergies and not a concussion, worries me.

Maybe this will help.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The #63 truck left for Eldora first thing this morning. Been a long week getting it ready. I did the graphics for it and can't wait to see it get tore up. The guys in the shop are hell bent on improving from the runner-up finish last year to winning the whole loving thing with Bobby Pierce returning to drive! Wish us luck goons.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jul 19, 2016

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

The #63 truck left for Eldora first thing this morning. Been a long week getting it ready. I did the graphics for it and can't wait to see it get tore up. The guys in the shop are hell bent on improving from the runner-up finish last year to winning the whole loving thing with Bobby Pierce returning to drive! Wish us luck goons.

I look forward to cheering on Mr. Pierce.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

There's something weirdly satisfying about seeing something you made wrecked, isn't there

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/Eric_RaceReview/status/755426853993652224

:stonklol:

If Austin Dillon would've quit diving three-wide on restarts and not being able to make them stick, I think he'd have had a much better shot of winning last year. It was frustrating to watch.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/Eric_RaceReview/status/755426853993652224

:stonklol:

If Austin Dillon would've quit diving three-wide on restarts and not being able to make them stick, I think he'd have had a much better shot of winning last year. It was frustrating to watch.

Is there a good write up of all the issues that have lead to NASCAR reaching this point?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

HFX posted:

Is there a good write up of all the issues that have lead to NASCAR reaching this point?

July 2014 interview with Brian France: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nascar-france-20140720-story.html
January 2016 story on Tony Stewart's :killdozer:ing of France with Dave Moody on SiriusXM: http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2016/01/21/tony-stewart-brian-france-siriusxm-interview-nascar/79137230/

TL;DR outline (at least of how I see it):
NASCAR
-Brian France and his "good ideas", CEO-by-proxy hands-off approach, utter denial anything is wrong in the sport and unwillingness to listen to criticism about the sport (telling Smoke "Just because you have an idea (about the aero package) doesn't make it a good one" last year at Pocono). Trends/events which stick out include:
--Chasing fans in new markets while alienating traditional, southeastern fans who made the sport what it was.
--Giving California Darlington's traditional Labor Day date in 2004, which was unfucked only last year.
--The Chase v1.0-4.0
--Car of Tomorrow
--Constant rule changes
--Efforts toward diversity, then publicly endorsing :smugdon: with five drivers, but insisting it was a personal endorsement and not a NASCAR endorsement.
--Neutering, de-neutering, and re-neutering of drivers' ability to have a personality so to protect the sport's image.
--Retiring stars (Gordon, Stewart, possibly Jr with this concussion dilemma?) while inadequately restocking the shelves with interesting new talent.
--Group qualifying at Daytona and Talladega:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhJehkJe2UQ

America
-NASCAR falling out of favor as a fad.
-21st Century short attention spans and not wanting to devote an entire afternoon to a race.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 19, 2016

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
NASCAR peaked and comparatively less people give a poo poo about auto racing than they do the NFL. NASCAR has not handled this reality very well.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Thanks all, my part is small but I'm happy it's a part nonetheless. Wish I could travel to Eldora but I have responsibilities in the office sadly.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

CBJSprague24 posted:

--The Chase v1.0-4.0
--Car of Tomorrow
--Constant rule changes

These 3 points can not be overstated.

When I'd watch races with people, they'd usually ask a few questions each race and I could answer them pretty easily. When it came time to describe the latest point system, I couldn't do it without either using a visual aid or it turning into some kind of university lecture.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Here's another article from Jeff Gluck where he surveyed fans on Twitter and Facebook as to why they stopped attending races:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2016/07/01/nascar-fans-attendance-cost/86587042/

One thing I didn't think about earlier is the changing track experience (mentioned in that story), most notably demonstrated by the transition from the souvenir haulers to the Fanatics Courtyard or whatever it's called now. Functionally, it's nice to be able to handle, look at, and try stuff on without having to have it handed down, but driving past the empty Midway at Daytona in July was depressing.

Harveygod posted:

When I'd watch races with people, they'd usually ask a few questions each race and I could answer them pretty easily. When it came time to describe the latest point system, I couldn't do it without either using a visual aid or it turning into some kind of university lecture.

I have a close friend who asks about NASCAR at times when we go out to grab wings and beer and he's asked about the decline of the sport. I explained the Chase to him as a reason and his response, after hearing the formats each time (because we've talked about it twice) was "Why don't they just take points from the full season to determine the champion? It's so much easier.".

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Elvis Costello?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Harveygod posted:

isn't it just...first place gets 40 points, second gets 39, third gets 38, etc?

CBJSprague24 posted:

Here's another article from Jeff Gluck where he surveyed fans on Twitter and Facebook as to why they stopped attending races:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2016/07/01/nascar-fans-attendance-cost/86587042/

One thing I didn't think about earlier is the changing track experience (mentioned in that story), most notably demonstrated by the transition from the souvenir haulers to the Fanatics Courtyard or whatever it's called now. Functionally, it's nice to be able to handle, look at, and try stuff on without having to have it handed down, but driving past the empty Midway at Daytona in July was depressing.

this is fascinating because it's the same way so many organizations fail. they start with a dedicated fan base, get a huge influx of nontraditional fans that brings them lots of money, those fans start to leave, but instead of returning to your original fan base, they try to pander to those new fans. but the problem is that the new fans aren't coming back, no matter what you do, and by pandering to them more and more you drive away the old fans, and now there's no one left.

wicka fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 19, 2016

• Locked thread