Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Yaya posted:

My strategy of getting the guy I want via nobody making draft picks was risky but has apparently paid off

Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Is your av the Bicentennial Man poster?

Also was that movie actually any good? I watched it as a child and remember liking it well enough.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Is your av the Bicentennial Man poster?

Also was that movie actually any good? I watched it as a child and remember liking it well enough.

Yes with Kyle Singler (my most hated basketball player) which I got as a prize for being the first to 1000 posts in the nba may nv iirc

I've never watched it

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

eXXon posted:

That was the first round, idiot.

no i got sidney crosby at 4 so

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Jussi Jokinen is a very versatile and always underrated guy, so I'm getting him.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Hes one of the most underrated players in the league and was loving great last year. I would've taken him with my next pick

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Otis Reddit posted:

Jussi Jokinen is a very versatile and always underrated guy, so I'm getting him.

This is a fantastic pick. He was actually on my short-list just because of how versatile he is. He is such a smart player that I think he's got at least 2-3 more good, good seasons left in him in spite of his age.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Toronto selects Alex Wennberg. Good 3C at 20, still improving and will get more ice time.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Flyinglemur is up.

Wennberg is a good choice; I was debating between him and a couple other young guys for my next pick, which hopefully I'll be able to make tonight.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Otis Reddit posted:

drat you, now I can't finish my Fancycats 2nd line collection!

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.
I will now select Andreas Athanasiou.

This guy might be faster than Larkin, and has great hands also. He did a lot with very limited minutes this last season.
I'm willing to take a gamble with this guy.

Filip Forsberg - Alex Galchenyuk - ??
Artemi Panarin - Rickard Rakell - ??
?? - Andreas Athanasiou - ??

Morgan Reilly - Noah Hanifin

Petr Mrazek

The RECAPITATOR fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jul 19, 2016

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

My strategy of not realizing it was my turn to pick is paying off, let's see who's available..............

e: hang on I'm calling up my next pick right now

Continuing my trend of picking players who don't ever stay healthy Nashville selects Evander Kane

Technetium fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jul 19, 2016

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Otis Reddit posted:

Good job

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I keep expecting Jussi to fall off because he's kinda slow and not all that great on the boards or anything and getting older but he just keeps on playin his smarty pants hockey and producing

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oooooof. I thought AA might make it back to me.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Andreas it's nice to see you

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
The Ducks select Defensivemans Brian Dumoulin because he is cheap and is playing with other, good players that should help his development and also I like him.

Good soldier Svejk is up

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Flyinglemur posted:

The Ducks select Defensivemans Brian Dumoulin because he is cheap and is playing with other, good players that should help his development and also I like him.

Good soldier Svejk is up

Dumo owns. Good shot suppressor. He reminds me a bit of a younger [guy who hasn't been taken yet]. They both have limp dick shots but excellent poise and positioning and they never take penalties.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I think it's probably safe to pick a goalie since I am reasonably happy with my defense and I think there are infinitely more suitable forwards remaining than young, good goalies with high-potential.
I'm taking 23 year old Pittsburgh native and future Ducks starter John Gibson

He platooned with older, more expensive but still promising goalie who is still on the board last season but the Ducks ultimately chose him this offseason, possibly because he is younger and cheaper but also likely because he is the all-around better choice. Even if the rest of the players I pick are the ragged skeletons of once great players I'm happy with the youthfulness of this core and I think that even if I botch the rest of the team there's at least a solid 5-8 years to remedy that.

x - Monahan - Tarasenko
x - Staal - x

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko

John Gibson

Mentholmoose is up

Good Soldier Svejk fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 19, 2016

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Alright, I'll take Michael Stone. I know he's injured, but he played 20 minutes a game last season and handled it really well, plus he's only 26. Twenty minute a night defensemen are incredibly rare at this stage, so I'm glad to have him.

e: And I'm fairly certain he'll be back at most a month into the season.

Daniel Sedin-Tyler Seguin-Jake Voracek
x-Nicklas Backstrom-Sam Bennett

Sami Vatanen-Michael Stone

Ben Bishop

Aye Doc is up.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 19, 2016

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
so when everyone gets skipped today, it will get to me just before 10 PM and i will get to pick once

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think it's probably safe to pick a goalie since I am reasonably happy with my defense and I think there are infinitely more suitable forwards remaining than young, good goalies with high-potential.
I'm taking 23 year old Pittsburgh native and future Ducks starter John Gibson

He platooned with older, more expensive but still promising goalie who is still on the board last season but the Ducks ultimately chose him this offseason, possibly because he is younger and cheaper but also likely because he is the all-around better choice. Even if the rest of the players I pick are the ragged skeletons of once great players I'm happy with the youthfulness of this core and I think that even if I botch the rest of the team there's at least a solid 5-8 years to remedy that.

x - Monahan - Tarasenko
x - Staal - x

Maatta - Jones
De Haan - Parayko

John Gibson

Mentholmoose is up

gently caress

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

I take Damon severson

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Its my birthday so Im going to take homer picks and none of you jerks get to mock them.

Calgary takes Tanner Pearson because he played for the Barrie Colts and I got to watch him and he was cool and good and won a Cup with an evil team that almost ruined hockey.

tofes youre up

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pearson is an interesting player. After his AHL performances and the Stanley Cup run a couple years ago it seemed like he was right in the cusp of being an impact guy but then it just didn't happen. He has a chance to step up big time this year, but if it doesn't happen I'm not sure it will (until he leaves the Kings, at least).

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Give me Patrick Marleau, because I am a piece of poo poo

Neal-Getzlaf-Kane
Ladd-Jenner-Marleau

Seabrook-Weber

or as they are affectionately called: Boone and the 2010 All Stars

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I was gonna take Gibson until Provorov got picked. I still may regret it and I'm shocked he didn't go way earlier. I think he's gonna be the best of all the Hell/Vasy/Gibson trio

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

now that I'm on my computer and have a few minutes, I can say some words about Damon Severson. first, he's 21 so he has a ton of good years ahead of him. second, he's generating offense for his awful team when he is on the ice - they get just over 5 shots more per 60 with him on the ice than without, and he isn't causing them to give up more shots. he has 123 games in the NHL now and it looks like he's going to be producing at a top pairing level 5v5 by next year, and he is already a more than capable top four guy with some good powerplay utility and a good bit of room to grow.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I was gonna take Gibson until Provorov got picked. I still may regret it and I'm shocked he didn't go way earlier. I think he's gonna be the best of all the Hell/Vasy/Gibson trio

Truthfully I forgot he existed until I re-did my goalie list when Allen and Mrazek got taken. I guess the fact that he only played 40 games pushed him under the radar a bit.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Aye Doc posted:

now that I'm on my computer and have a few minutes, I can say some words about Damon Severson. first, he's 21 so he has a ton of good years ahead of him. second, he's generating offense for his awful team when he is on the ice - they get just over 5 shots more per 60 with him on the ice than without, and he isn't causing them to give up more shots. he has 123 games in the NHL now and it looks like he's going to be producing at a top pairing level 5v5 by next year, and he is already a more than capable top four guy with some good powerplay utility and a good bit of room to grow.

Forgot to include: is garbage defensively

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aye Doc posted:

I take Damon severson

This is a good pick. He's going to play a lot of minutes this year, and should get some solid PP time.

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Forgot to include: is garbage defensively

Eh you could do worse. He makes some big mistakes but he makes a lot of plays that no one else on the Devils can, particularly on the outlet.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I think the trio isn't a trio anymore, because it includes Mrazek.

Gibson's 5v5 save % has been trending in the wrong direction and was below average last year. I also think Bernier is going to have a mild resurgence and steal starts from Gibson.

There is some super cool work on projected goalie performance over on creative obstruction. Obviously take with a huge grain of salt, but it's not very favourable towards Gibson. (I'm phone posting or I'd link it)

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

T-Bone posted:

This is a good pick. He's going to play a lot of minutes this year, and should get some solid PP time.

Eh you could do worse. He makes some big mistakes but he makes a lot of plays that no one else on the Devils can, particularly on the outlet.

i'd add on, most 21 year olds are going to be making bad mistakes and looking rough in the defensive zone because of how great the difference in skill from the WHL to the NHL is. his shot differentials relative to his team are those of a top pairing guy, and he's doing it while playing with absolutely garbage teammates against difficult competition (his linemates, all bad bad players, have a 45.46% corsi and his competition have a 50% corsi)

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

I didn't say it was a bad pick, I like him a lot. I was moreso being funny/being an rear end in a top hat because he does get turned inside out a lot. But he is by a mile their best offensive defenseman and he's only 21.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He's also going to get the [spoiler] bump

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

The Sabers take Eric Staal

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Menamino is up!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i think eric staal is a Good Pick despite his shameful new york tenure

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

Man gently caress off last year when I took Gibson over Vasilevsky you said that you were surprised because Vasilevsky's going to be the better of the two with his elite athleticism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

Eric Staal still has fantastic underlying stats and I think his boxcars will rebound somewhat this season. Yes, he's getting older but his contract is totally reasonable. I like the flexibility he gives us, he can start as our first line center but if it doesn't work out he should still make an excellent third liner.

• Locked thread